PDA

View Full Version : 10 Best Acting Performances by a Female Actor in the Past 10 Years?

shap_half
Feb 26th, 2005, 06:31 PM
What do you guys think?

Barrie_Dude
Feb 26th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Hillary Swank in "Boys Don't Cry"

adss
Feb 26th, 2005, 09:44 PM
definitely missing some but:

Honorable Mention (cuz it was 1993):
Angela Bassett in What's Love Got To Do With It? (1993)
http://www.rtsi.ch/prog/images/Trasm/tina_turner_film-b.jpg

10. Bjork in Dancer in the Dark (2000)
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/fine_line_features/dancer_in_the_dark/_group_photos/cara_seymour2.jpg

9. Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth (1998)
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/gramercy_pictures/elizabeth/_group_photos/cate_blanchett1.jpg

8. Naomi Watts in 21 Grams (2003)
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/focus/21_grams/naomi_watts/grams5.jpg

7. Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry (1999)
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/fox_searchlight/boys_don_t_cry/hilary_swank/boys2.jpg

6. Elisabeth Shue in Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
http://www.uwe.peterson.claranet.de/private/moviefaces/actress/s/es_leavinglv02.jpg

5. Sarah Polley in The Sweet Hereafter (1997)
http://varsity.utoronto.ca:16080/archives/118/oct20/review/Atom2.GIF

4. Emily Watson in Breaking the Waves (1996)
http://home.snafu.de/fablab/queerview/034felix/foto34breakingthewaves.jpg

3. Maggie Cheung in In the Mood for Love (2001)
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/usa_films/in_the_mood_for_love/_group_photos/maggie_cheung5.jpg

2. Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream (2000)
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/artisan_entertainment/requiem_for_a_dream/ellen_burstyn/requiem.jpg

1. Frances McDormand in Fargo (1996)
http://www.cineclub.de/images/1996/fargo.7.jpg

ZAK
Feb 26th, 2005, 10:12 PM
I'm glad you mentioned Ellen Burstyn! Her performance is under-rated by a lot of people

CC
Feb 26th, 2005, 10:26 PM
I loved Fargo.

Pengwin
Feb 26th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Julia Roberts in Erin Brokovic

Bacardi
Feb 26th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Angelina Jolie in Girl Interrupted

spiceboy
Feb 26th, 2005, 10:59 PM
http://www.cinemaparadiso.nl/muriel07.jpg

Toni Collette for Muriel's Wedding :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

My favourite movie and one of the most impressive performances by an actress I've ever seen. Toni, who clebrated her 21st birthday on the set, was nominated for a Golden Globe for her role as Muriel :worship: :worship: :worship:

jrm
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Have to go with Ellen Burstyn and Emily Watson

~Cherry*Blossom~
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:18 PM
The 4 women in Set It Off (Jada Pinkett, Vivica Fox, Queen Latifah, Kimberly Elise) I still can't watch that film without crying :sad:

E. Blackadder
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:18 PM
From the list: Ellen Burstyn

~Cherry*Blossom~
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Angelina Jolie in Girl Interrupted

Yeah, she was brilliant in that & also in Gia :worship:

Becool
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Whoopi Goldberg - The Purple Color
Glenn Close - Fatal Attraction
Naomi Watts - Mulholland Drive
Nicole Kidman - The Others

Hulet
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:24 PM
4. Jennifer Aniston - Good Girl. (Yeah, I never liked her as an actor, but this one was a great performance although a bit overacted )
3. Hilary Swank - Boys don't cry
2. Jurnee Smollett - Eve's Bayou
1. Julian Moore - Far from heaven. Why she never got Oscar for this performance, I really don't know. :confused:

Becool
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Ellen Burstyn - The Exorcist (Underated Performance)
Sissy Spacek - In The Bedroom

Cloris Leachman is an excellent actress too :)

Becool
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Yeah, she was brilliant in that & also in Gia :worship:

Yeah! Gia! I love that movie! :yeah:

Cariaoke
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:32 PM
I agree with Frances in Fargo, Julia in Erin, Jurnee in Eveand definitely Julianne in Far. Julianne's performance was brilliant. I also loved her in the Hours. :)

Denise4925
Feb 27th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Definitely Angie Basset in What's Love Got To Do With It, Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth and The Gift, Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream, Frances McDormand in Fargo, Whoopie Goldberg and Oprah in The Color Purple, Halle Barry in Monster's Ball, Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellwegger in Cold Mountain and Nicole Kidman in The Others. It's so many, I can't think of everyone I loved.

selesfan1
Feb 27th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Nicole Kidman in "Moulin Rouge !"
Audrey Tatou in "Amelie"
Maia Morgenstern in "The Passion of the Christ"
Cate Blanchett in "Elizabeth"
Gwyneth Paltrow in "Shakespeare in Love"
Sherlyn in "Elisa antes del fin del mundo"
Catherine Deneuve in "Indochine"
Rosie Perez in "Fearless''
Judy Marte in "Raising Victor Vargas"
Jennifer Lopez in "Selena'' her best role to date
Lupe Ontiveros in "Chuck and Buck"

zuluagafan
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Whoopi Goldberg - The Purple Color
the color purple was in 1985 :D

Bacardi
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Yeah! Gia! I love that movie! :yeah:

Gia won her a Golden Globe... never got into the Oscars since it was an HBO Made for TV Movie thou :(

Still it's my favorite film of all time. And might I suggest, if you liked her role in that to look up the life of the real Gia Carangi :)

LeRoy.
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:53 AM
I loved Nicole Kidman in "The Hours" and Meryl Streep was impressive too.

AjdeNate!
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:59 AM
I can't order them... but these are my faves off the top of my head:

Nicole Kidman - The Portrait Of A Lady
Gwyneth Paltrow - Shakespeare In Love
Hilary Swank - Boy's Don't Cry
Hilary Swank - Million Dollar Baby
Brenda Blethyn - Secrets & Lies
Jodie Foster - Nell
Imelda Staunton - Vera Drake
Catherine Zeta Jones - Traffic
Charlize Theron - Monster
Emily Watson - Breaking The Waves
Julie Christie - Afterglow

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Kathy Bates in "Dolores Claiborne" (1995) and Naomi Watts in "Mulholland Drive" (2001).

Bates and Watts deserved to nominated an Oscar for Best Leading Actress but the problem is both movies released in early the year, though.

I don't understand why September and November is usually for the Oscar campaign. Why must September and November? I think it should be any movies within the year no matter when or where Oscar campaign.

Bates was much better in "Dolores Claiborne" than she does in "Misery" when she won Best Actress in 1990.

Orion
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:22 AM
Laura Linney, Kinsey, (2004)
Naomi Watts, 21 Grams, (2003)
Charlize Theron, Monster, (2003)
Halle Berry, Monster's Ball, (2001)
Catherine Zeta-Jones, Traffic, (2001)
Ellen Burstyn, Requiem for a Dream, (2000)
Hilary Swank, Boys Don't Cry, (1999)
Angelina Jolie, Gia, (1998)
Frances McDormand, Fargo, (1996)
Susan Sarandon, Dead Man Walking, (1995)

Paldias
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Julia Roberts - Erin Brokovich

tennisIlove09
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Nicole Kidman in "Moulin Rouge"...how she lost to Halle Berry is BEYOND me

RVD
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:40 AM
The only female actor that I can legitimately
think of that fits the thread description is
Monica Bellucci in "Irréversible".
http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/84/91/38m.jpg
That was the most nauseatingly intense
rape scene I've ever witnessed portrayed on screen. :scared:
And to make matters even more difficult, much of the
dialogue was unscripted. :eek:
But then everything this fine actor does is
very convincing to me. I think she is one of the
most underrated actresses of my time.
At least in Hollywood, that is. :)

Mr. Man
Feb 27th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Julianne's performance was brilliant. I also loved her in the Hours.
Ohh she was great in The Hours. Wow. Actually everyone in The Hours was great.

My main pick is Ellen Burstyn for Requiem for a Dream. Man, she was robbed for that Oscar.

skanky~skanketta
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:23 PM
mariah carey in glitter!

lilly
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:31 PM
The only female actor that I can legitimately
think of that fits the thread description is
Monica Bellucci in "Irréversible".

That was the most nauseatingly intense
rape scene I've ever witnessed portrayed on screen. :scared:
And to make matters even more difficult, much of the
dialogue was unscripted. :eek:
But then everything this fine actor does is
very convincing to me. I think she is one of the
most underrated actresses of my time.
At least in Hollywood, that is. :)
goddamn, now I'm stuck with that mental pic in my head. that truly is one of the most sickening scenes I've seen. I walk through such an underground passage on a weekly base and there hasn't been exception in 2 years I haven't thought of that scene. Talk about influencing your mind.

CC
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I can't order them... but these are my faves off the top of my head:

Nicole Kidman - The Portrait Of A Lady
Gwyneth Paltrow - Shakespeare In Love
Hilary Swank - Boy's Don't Cry
Hilary Swank - Million Dollar Baby
Brenda Blethyn - Secrets & Lies
Jodie Foster - Nell
Imelda Staunton - Vera Drake
Catherine Zeta Jones - Traffic
Charlize Theron - Monster
Emily Watson - Breaking The Waves
Julie Christie - Afterglow

Hey, I've never heard of Portrait of a Lady! Does it have anything to do with T.S. Eliot? :wavey:

Nicole Kidman always gives memorable performances: The Others, The Hours, The Human Stain. I really dug her in those three.

lilly
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:55 PM
CC, it's after the book by Henry James.

CC
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:59 PM
CC, it's after the book by Henry James.

Oh, because Nicole and anything of Mr. Eliot's work would have been too much to bear. :tape: :cool:

~Rachel~
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I agree with everyone who said Angelina Jolie in Girl, Interrupted and Gia :worship:

For me, Angleina's performance in Gia is still very underrated. I love that film, although I tend to avoid it if I'm feeling depressed for fear of onsetting wrist-slitting urges....

propi
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Cecilia Roth in All about my mother :bounce:

rightous
Feb 27th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Julianne Moore was heaps better than Nicole Kidman in The Hours, maybe she should don a fake nose and that Oscar will be hers as well:) She should have won for Far From Heaven. Elizabeth Shue in leaving Las Vegas was beyond amazing I thought her character was the essence of that movie more than Nic Cage.

darren cahill
Feb 27th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Julianne Moore was outstanding in the Hours. she just about broke my heart

on the other hand, i dont get FARGO at all. I must be one of only 3 people in the world who wasnt won over by that drek. i thought it was beyond horrific and for Frances to have won lead actress for a role that was maybe 4 minutes? was she really even in the movie? maybe i passed out or killed myself cause god knows i wanted to. it was one of my least fave movies ever. i thought totally over rated.

Also didnt get swept up in Ellen Burstyns role everyone is talking about. i've seen most of her movies and shes been better in almost everything else.

My choices would be the lady in The passion of the christ, Jesus mother, she was incredible. i cried everytime they showed her. Meryl Streep in The bridges of Madison County. one of her best. Susan Sarandon in Thelma and Louise. Geenas role was more flashy, Susans had more depth. I loved her part.

i'm sure there are others, i cant think of them now

Becool
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Kathy Bates in Misery

Linda Blair in The Exorcist! ;)

Ryan
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Nicole Kidman in "Moulin Rouge"...how she lost to Halle Berry is BEYOND me

I believe it had just a tad to do with the whining Denzel Washington did before the Oscars.

Becool
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Fernanda Montenegro in
Central's Station :bowdown:

_LuCaS_
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Naomi in 21 Grams :worship:

smarties
Feb 28th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Juliette Binoche in ''Trois couleurs: Bleu''
Juliette Binoche in ''Les amants du Pont-Neuf''
Irene Jacob in ''La double vie de Véronique''
Audrey Tautou in ''Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain''
Émilie Dequenne in ''Rosetta''
Maria Schrader in ''Aimé et Jaguar''
Uma Thurman in ''Kill Bill 2''

Thats all for now...

korben
Feb 28th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Kathy Bates in Dolores Claiborne
Jane Adams in Happiness
Kati Outinen in Man without a past
Björk in Dancer in the dark
Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a dream
Jennifer Tilly in Bound

OUT!
Feb 28th, 2005, 02:28 PM
http://www.cinemaparadiso.nl/muriel07.jpg

Toni Collette for Muriel's Wedding :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

My favourite movie and one of the most impressive performances by an actress I've ever seen. Toni, who clebrated her 21st birthday on the set, was nominated for a Golden Globe for her role as Muriel :worship: :worship: :worship:

Absolutely! :D

OUT!
Feb 28th, 2005, 02:32 PM
mariah carey in glitter!

:haha: :haha: :haha:
Or Madonna in Swept Away!

vertigo
Feb 28th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Charlize Theron Monster
Hilary Swank Boy's Don't Cry (woo hoo, equal in oscars to Meryl Streep!!)
Cate Blanchett Elizabeth (the only film she's good in)
Julianne Bore- Far From Heaven
Holly Hunter - Thirteen

Nacho
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Julianne Moore should already have several Oscars...

Conchi Party
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Susan Sarandon- Dead Man Walking

Pengwin
Feb 28th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I believe it had just a tad to do with the whining Denzel Washington did before the Oscars.

Oh well she won one the nexr year :worship:

You have to admit Halle Berry's Oscar speech was the highlight of that year's awards though, so you can't really take anything away from her.

apoet29
Feb 28th, 2005, 07:44 PM
1. Holly Hunter--The Piano. She had to express every emotion with her eyes. Even after ten years, it is still a radiant performance.

2. Gwenyth Paltrow--The Talented Mr. Ripley. Even more than her Oscar-winning turn in Shakespeare in Love, Paltrow proved that she was a uniquely talented actress in this film. Witness her breakdown when she confronts Matt Damon's Ripley. That was amazing acting.

3. Naomi Watts--Muholland Drive. Lesbian sex scenes aside, Watts was amazing in a dual role that required her to be innocent, sexy, and crazy at the same time. Even her masturbating scene brought out more of her character's pain and anger than anything else.

4. Nicole Kidman--The Others. Everyone always goes on that Nicole was robbed of an Oscar for Moulin Rouge, a role I thought she was terrible in, but they tend to ignore her outstanding work here. As a mother on the brink of insanity and burden with a terrible secret, Nicole brought this character to life and made herself into a superstar. This is the role she should have been nominated for.

5. Hilary Swank--Boys Don't Cry. I had never heard of Swank until I saw this film. Her heartbreaking turn as a gender-confused teenage deserved all of the accolades bestowed on it. The scene where Hilary's Brandon quietly confesses to being gender-confused after being attacked was beautifully done.

6. Charlize Theron--Monster. After watching Theron's turn as a female serial killer, I did not sleep for a week. She scared me that badly. Beyond the makeup job and the weight gain, Theron found the heart and pain behind the facade of this monster and while the families Wuornos victims were undoubtably put off by it, no one can deny that Theron humanized this "monster" and gave the audience a reason to understand her.

7. Susan Saradon--Dead Man Walking. Politics aside, Saradon was brilliant as a nun whose own conflict about the man she was counseling brought to the screen the beating heart behind the death penalty conflict. The scene where she was reaching out to Sean Penn's character as he was put to death was completely devastating.

8. Halle Berry--Monster's Ball. I know that most people do not believe that Halle deserved to win this Oscar, but I do. As an alcoholic mother with nothing to live for, Halle gave the performance of her life. The scene where she confronts her ex-husband and tells him that she cannot wait for him to die was outstanding.

9. Maia Morgenstern--The Passion of the Christ. While this is probably one of the most controversial and reviled movies in Hollywood (Note the polite applause when Rock mentioned it at the Oscars), there is no doubt that Morgenstern did an outstanding job as Mary, the mother of Jesus. A woman who had to bear the knowledge that her son was going to be tortured and killed from the time of his birth. The scene where Morgenstern cleans up the blood after Jesus is whipped by the Roman guards is beautifully done.

10. Cate Blanchett--Elizabeth. Although she just won an Oscar for playing another great Kate, Blanchett was denied the Oscar for her amazing work in Elizabeth. She brought everything to the table as the Virgin Queen who had to survive in a nightmarish world.

CC
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:11 AM
4. Nicole Kidman--The Others. Everyone always goes on that Nicole was robbed of an Oscar for Moulin Rouge, a role I thought she was terrible in, but they tend to ignore her outstanding work here. As a mother on the brink of insanity and burden with a terrible secret, Nicole brought this character to life and made herself into a superstar. This is the role she should have been nominated for.

6. Charlize Theron--Monster. After watching Theron's turn as a female serial killer, I did not sleep for a week. She scared me that badly. Beyond the makeup job and the weight gain, Theron found the heart and pain behind the facade of this monster and while the families Wuornos victims were undoubtably put off by it, no one can deny that Theron humanized this "monster" and gave the audience a reason to understand her.

I completely agree.

I really don't see how people praise Moulin Rouge so much when I thought it was mostly overdone crap. On the other hand, The Others had a great plot and great acting. Have you seen The Human Stain, apoet? That was such a very complex character (played by Nicole) and very well done as well.

There are two scenes in Monster that I found very evocative. I think when Aileen shows up late for their (I forget her girlfriend's name) date after she had been assaulted by the first John that she kills and the girl was so upset with her, and you knew that she wasn't lying and what she had actually gone through ... sigh. Then the scene where she was sending her gf away and they were sitting on the ground waiting for the bus. Brilliant acting by Charlize.

FedererFan84
Mar 1st, 2005, 03:08 AM
DIANE LANE - Unfaithful
ASHLEY JUDD - Double Jeopardy
HILARY SWANK -Boys Don't Cry
NICOLE KIDMAN - Moulin Rouge
JULIETTE BINOCHE - Chocolat
JENNIFER CONNELLY - A Beautiful Mind
SUSAN SARANDON - Dead Man Walking
JULIANNE MOORE -The Hours
GENA ROWLANDS -The Notebook
*** MARY-LOUISE PARKER - Boys on the Side ***

Becool
Mar 1st, 2005, 05:02 AM
I completely agree.

I really don't see how people praise Moulin Rouge so much when I thought it was mostly overdone crap. On the other hand, The Others had a great plot and great acting. Have you seen The Human Stain, apoet? That was such a very complex character (played by Nicole) and very well done as well.

There are two scenes in Monster that I found very evocative. I think when Aileen shows up late for their (I forget her girlfriend's name) date after she had been assaulted by the first John that she kills and the girl was so upset with her, and you knew that she wasn't lying and what she had actually gone through ... sigh. Then the scene where she was sending her gf away and they were sitting on the ground waiting for the bus. Brilliant acting by Charlize.

I agree.. I didn't see nothing special in her Moulin Rouge's performance. I think she had to be nominated for her tole in The Others, like I said before too. :) :yeah:

Kunal
Mar 4th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Hilary Swank in Boys dont cry had to be seen to be believed. She only got paid $ 3000 for that role. Very raw and visceral performance.
Then for Million Dollar Baby she got paid $2 Million.

Marisa Tomei I've always liked...she was pretty good in 'In The Bedroom.'

Susan Sarandon in Dead Man Walking was powerful as well.

Helen Hunt in As Good As It Gets