PDA

View Full Version : Lawrenceville First Round

Jem
Mar 27th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Cool and windy but plenty of sunshine for today's final qualifying ad all first round matches. I watched all of Julie Pullin's match, so I'm mainly going to report first round scores here. Actually, first round winners; I didn't have anything to write down the scores and also I didn't see all of the matches.

Final Qualifying round

Goloviniza (spelled wrong, but she's Russian), beat Keothovang 6-7, 6-1, 6-1
Ashley beat Lubiania
Jankovic beat Baltacha 7-5, 6-1
Snyder beat Schmidle

(1)Saori Obata (JPN) def. Laura Granville (USA) 1-2
Dessislava Topalova (BUL) def. Allison Bradshaw (USA)
Ashley def. Jane Chi (USA)
Julie Pullin (GBR) def. (8)Ansley Cargill (USA) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4

(3)Maja Palaversic-CooperSmith (CRO) vs. Sabine Klaschka (GER) (German up a set when I left)
WC Kristen Schlukebir (USA) def.Amanda Grahame (AUS)
Sylvia Plischke (AUT) vs. Svetlana Krivencheva (BUL)
Eun-Ha Kim (KOR) vs. (7)Nathalie Vierin (ITA)

(6)Bryanne Stewart (AUS) def. WC Tanner Cochran (USA) 6-1, 6-2
Lubiani def. Christina Wheeler (AUS) 6-3, 7-5
Golozovinia def. Tara Snyder in three sets
(4)Maureen Drake (CAN) def. Akiko Morigami (JPN)

(5)Marie-Eve Pelletier (CAN) def. Mireille Dittman (AUS) 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
WC Mirela Viadulescu (GER) vs. Miho Saeki (JPN)
Vanessa Webb (CAN) vs. Jankovic (Webb up 5-2 in the first when I left)
Nina Dubbers (GER) vs. (2)Rika Fujiwara (JPN)

More later this evening when I have time.

rated_next
Mar 27th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Jem: did Laura get injured?

Jippo McScally
Mar 27th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Unlucky Ballie and Anne!!! (but at least she(Anne) won a match ;))

YAY JULIE!!!!!1

Scotso
Mar 27th, 2002, 10:14 PM
Tara :(

:sad: Laura :sad:

Bryanne, Maureen :)

:bounce: Marie-Eve :bounce:

AUSBOY
Mar 27th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Mirielle, Amanda and Christina :(

Not a good day!

At least Bryanne won, as she should have done so though!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Mar 27th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Allison!!:rolleyes: :fiery:

That's it, I'm changing my sn!:angel:

Monica_Rules
Mar 27th, 2002, 11:28 PM
Julie beats Ansley again! 3-0 shes up against her now!

Anne so close after that first set then nothing!:eek:

Few more points for the ranking though back into top 300 now YEAH!

Steveg
Mar 28th, 2002, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the results Jem :D .

Jem
Mar 28th, 2002, 02:39 AM
No, Laura did not get injured as far as I know. The score was 6-1, 6-2, or either 6-2, 6-1. I was surprised since Laura won in La Canada last week. I did not see any of this match as it started after Julie Pullin began and ended before her match finished.

Julie started very slow in her match against Ansley Cargill, who is from Atlanta and had qualified for the Australian earlier this year where she lost to Venus in the first round. In the first set, Julie was spraying her groundstrokes and serving not so well. But she picked up her game in the latter stages of the first and then outplayed Ansley from that point forward.

Pullin's groundstrokes, plus her ability to come to net on some key points, gave her the match. Cargill's backhand is by far her weakest shot, but her game has improved considerably in her first few months on the tour. This is Pullin's third victory over Cargill in the last 6-8 months. Pullin's forehand repeatedly set up some winning points and forced errors, and her backhand was very steady over the final two sets. It was a good win for her as she has been struggling this year. She plays Terryn Ashley in the second round.

As the Pullin-Cargill match was very long, 3-6, 6-2, 6-4, I didn't see lots of other tennis, but here are some observations.

Tara Snyder is terrible. She was really berating the umpire in her match. In fact, she called the umpire a loser. To be fair, she said the umpire was also blowing calls in her favor as well in favor of her opponent, Maria Goloviznina. Still, her behavior was bad. I quit watching when she called the umpire a loser and rooted against her each time the score was called (You could hear scores from all the matches). As far as their games go, both are garden variety baseliners, although Snyder seemed to hit the ball harder today.

Anne Keothavong lost her final qualifying match. She was botching quite easy shots when I saw her play, which probably explains why she lost 1 and 1 in the last two sets. Keothavong was a bit vocal and self-critical. But then again, so would I have been had a missed some of the sitters she missed. She does have a bit of flare about her game, though, and wasn't afraid to come to the net.

I saw Jankovic briefly on a couple of occasions, first when she beat Baltacha and secondly when she was losing 5-2 to Vanessa Webb in the first set. Baltacha, by the way, complained a bit and played a fairly strong baseline game. Jankovic was just way too consistent for her. As for Jankovic's game, it, too, was mostly a baseline game. She didn't particularly hit the ball hard and I didn't really see a killer shot in her game that would allow her to break away from the pack. Oddly enough, she looked very Asian, which I surprised since I think she's from Eastern Europe. She was really struggling with her groundstrokes against Vanessa Webb, which is no mean feat since Webb's groundstrokes aren't the best in the business by any means. Still, Webb was playing very steady, slicing away at her backhand and ripping her forehand on occasion. She was also controlling the net, which had Jankovic in fits. Of course, it was also Jankovic's second match of the day, so she might have been a bit tired.

Terryn Ashley is a virtual newcomer to me. I've been seeing her name in Challenger draws for the past year and know she's had some doubles success. But I don't remember her for having a stellar career, and I'm not really sure where she came from. She plays a strong game, however, good groundstrokes, solid serve, and she's not afraid of the net by any means. She overwhelmed Jane Chi, who played a strictly baseline game.

Marie-Eve Pelletier (she who is very easy on the eyes) started strong agaist Mireille Dittman, then struggled mightily to claim the victory. Pelletier was really mishitting her groundstrokes, which is her bread and butter. Dittman is very tall and produces some surprising shots. She's not a very strong hitter for her size, especially her serve, but she's hard to get the ball past because she has fairly good court movement.

I saw the end of Christine Wheeler's loss to Francesca Lubiani, the Italian veteran who hits two-handed off both sides. Lubiani was too steady from the baseline, and that was about all there was to her game. Wheeler is very small (Coetzer like), but she generates amazing power off her serve. Even her second serve is fairly strong. As much as anything, Wheeler didn't play very smart, especially on overheads and volleys. She tried to play some shots that would have been difficult for Sampras. It's too bad, because this was her match to win and she could have used the win.

Also saw a little bit of Miho Saeki against Mirella Vladulescu, a Romanian native, German citizen and former??? U.S. collegiate player. Vladulescu also is very small and plays a heavy topspin. She also used an underhanded serve quite frequently, but I never saw her win a point with it. I believe Saeki had won the first set when I left. It was an entertaining match, but it was on a middle court and difficult to follow.

That's all for today. I hope to make it back Friday morning or perhaps tomorrow evening for some of the doubles action. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 28th, 2002, 03:18 AM
thanx Jim for reports

Is Julie staying with you again this yr ???

well done Maria Goloviznina ;)
Bryanne :)
Marie-Eve ;)

I know what you mean about Jelena Jankovic :) not suprised she qualified.

I just hope Sabine Klaschka won :kiss:

TS
Mar 28th, 2002, 04:18 AM
Christina :( :rolleyes:

Thanx Jem so much for that report! :)
You're right about Christina Wheeler...she's tiny but she's a little firecracker. Must be the Ukrainian blood in her ;)
She definately needs to be more patient with her shot selection. Yes, she has a great serve and I just wish she would start winning these matches :( She'll be 20 next month so the time is now!!! She's much better than her ranking of 203 IMO.

Mirielle Dittman doesn't use as much aggression as she should...I wasnt expecting her to win that match but good fighting from her.

Amanda :( Geez, they should play the whole WTA tour in Canberra...maybe then she would win a match :rolleyes: Very disappoining.

Bryanne won as expected. She is steadily moving up the rankings now.

Monica_Rules
Mar 28th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Thats Anne!I'm taking she swore a lot she has been finned for it!LOL!Sometines she does start hitting terrible shots!If only she'd have more self confidence she'd be doing great now!

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 28th, 2002, 01:42 PM
(1)Saori Obata (JPN) d. Laura Granville (USA) 6-1 6-2
Dessislava Topalova (BUL) d. Allison Bradshaw (USA) 7-6(5) 6-4
q-Teryn Ashley (USA) d. Jane Chi (USA) 6-3 6-1
Julie Pullin (GBR) d. (8)Ansley Cargill (USA) 3-6 6-2 7-5

Sabine Klaschka (GER) d. (3)Maja Palaversic-CooperSmith (CRO) 7-5 6-0 :D
WC Kristen Schlukebir (USA) d. Amanda Grahame (AUS) 6-4 6-1 :)
Sylvia Plischke (AUT) d. Svetlana Krivencheva (BUL) 7-5 6-4
(7)Nathalie Vierin (ITA) d. Eun-Ha Kim (KOR) 6-0 6-3

(6)Bryanne Stewart (AUS) d. WC Tanner Cochran (USA) 6-1 6-2 :)
LL-Francesca Lubiani (ITA) d. Christina Wheeler (AUS) 6-3 7-5 :)
q-Maria Goloviznina (RUS) d. q-Tara Snyder (USA) 2-6 6-3 6-2 :D
(4)Maureen Drake (CAN) d. Akiko Morigami (JPN) 6-4 6-2

(5)Marie-Eve Pelletier (CAN) d. Mireille Dittman (AUS) 6-1 5-7 6-4 :)
WC Mirela Viadulescu (GER) d. Miho Saeki (JPN) 6-3 3-6 6-2
q-Jelena Jankovic (YUG) d. Vanessa Webb (CAN) 4-6 6-3 6-1
(2)Rika Fujiwara (JPN) d. Nina Dubbers (GER) 6-0 5-7 7-6(5)

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 28th, 2002, 01:45 PM
well done Maria G ;)
Sabine won ;) woo-hoo ;)

Francesca ;)
Bryanne :)
Marie-Eve ;)

Mirlea :)
Jelena pulled it thru, not really suprised

Lubidani
Mar 28th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Behind Monica and Meghann, Francesca is my favorite player. She has an awesome game IMO. Her personality is spunky too, so thats why I like her. Congrats on a QF performance in La Canada and good luck in the 2nd round here against Bryanne Stewart!

rated_next
Mar 28th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Sylvia :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Too bad for Vanessa, and Nina. :sad: But congrats to the other Canadians. :)

King Aaron
Mar 28th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Ansley lost again !! :mad: :fiery:

Xian-Austriaco
Mar 28th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Yes yes yes Sylvia Plischke :kiss: :kiss:
oh my god mirela Vladulescu I know that she was top 400 in 94 or 95 great win for her:eek: :)

bluepastures
Mar 28th, 2002, 06:02 PM
What's happening to Allison Bradshaw? I was quite impressed with her at Eastbourne last year, but since then she seems to have been going backwards.

Good result for Julie Pullin, hopefully she should be able to pick up a few ranking points in this tournament.

Any doubles scores yet?

matthias
Mar 28th, 2002, 09:09 PM
well done S.Klaschka
bad luck Nina Dübbers

and well done Viadulescu (i don´t know you, but you are german ;))

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 29th, 2002, 03:11 AM
Doubles started today (Thu)

Rising Sun
Mar 29th, 2002, 03:49 AM
2-Rika Fujiwara (JPN) d. Q-Jelena Jankovic (YUG) 4-6 6-4 6-1 :D

1-Saori Obata (JPN) d. Dessislava Topalova (BUL) ?? :D

SM
Mar 29th, 2002, 06:39 AM
oh no Jelena wtf happened? !!!!!!!!!
:fiery:

rightous
Mar 29th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Thanks Jem for the analysis and report very interesting reading:)