PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Articles

thelma
Feb 14th, 2005, 11:12 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200502/s1302106.htm

Last Update: Monday, February 14, 2005. 11:43am AEDT

Molik to miss Fed Cup qualifiers

Australia's top-ranked female tennis player and world number 10 Alicia Molik has made herself unavailable for April's Fed Cup Asia and Oceania Zone qualifying round in India.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200501/r39154_98679.jpg

But Fed Cup captain John Alexander says Molik has his full blessing in her decision to skip the team event in favour of concentrating on improving her individual world ranking.

"She has sent a fax to the team which she signs off, 'Good luck to my team, Alicia'," he revealed.

"She knows the players understand. She has a particular schedule which is designed to give herself a real chance of achieving the world's number one ranking."

Alexander named his line-up for the trip to India today, with the job of team leader going to world number 46 Samantha Stosur.

Stosur will be joined in the squad by Nicole Pratt, Evie Dominikovic, and newcomer Bryanne Stewart.

Alexander said he felt he was fielding a strong squad despite Molik's absence.

"Sam [Stosur] certainly has done extraordinary things over the past three weeks of the Australian tour and at practice and training over the past two weeks has been of a very high standard," he said.

"I think teamed with Bryanne they are one of the top pairs in the world now."

Eight nations are involved in the round robin competition from April 18 to April 24 in New Delhi.

The other competing nations are China, Taiwan, India, Korea, New Zealand, Singapore and Kazakhstan.

The top two nations will advance to a World Group II qualifying tie to be played on July 9-10 for the chance to secure a place in the top 16 nations for the 2006 Fed Cup competition.

Molik is playing in this week's WTA tour event in Antwerp, where she is the fourth seed.

-ABC/AFP

thelma
Feb 14th, 2005, 11:13 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200502/s1302756.htm

Last Update: Tuesday, February 15, 2005. 8:45am AEDT

Mauresmo leaps to second as Molik holds 10th

France's Amelie Mauresmo has leaped from fourth to second in the WTA Tour rankings, closing the gap on top-rated Lindsay Davenport with a runner-up showing at the Paris Indoor Open.

Russia's Dinara Safina beat Mauresmo 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 in Sunday's final but Mauresmo, who tumbled a spot from third just a week earlier, was able to move past American Serena Williams and Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova of Russia.

Davenport, who led compatriot Williams by 629 points last week, now leads Mauresmo by 441 points.

Australia's Alicia Molik missed the Paris tournament as she opted to stay in Australia and recover from the flu, but kept her number 10 position.

thelma
Feb 14th, 2005, 11:16 PM
http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12248275%255E31624,00.html

Alicia aces the $64,000 question

15feb05

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,418278,00.jpg

TENNIS star Alicia Molik has served up a $64,000 windfall for South Australia's Childhood Cancer Association.

Molik won the money on last night's edition of Channel 9's Who Wants to be a Millionaire, choosing to donate her winnings to the association.

Molik has undertaken the role of ambassador for the association in conjunction with another ambassador - a cute soft toy puppy called Elliot.

"I am not home in Australia much, but when I am, I am more than willing to help out or assist in any possible way to help the children," says Molik, pictured with Elliot in Switzerland.

"There is no greater reward than seeing children laugh and smile." Childhood Cancer Association general manager Konrad Gawlik says he is "totally astounded by that good fortune".

"Particularly in this very difficult year. We've already had to cancel and delay planned events that would have gone to raise money for research," he says. "We didn't think it was sensible to proceed (with planned fundraising events) because the early indicators we were getting was that the public had already extended themselves considerably (with the Asian tsunami and Eyre Peninsula bushfire appeals).

Mr Gawlik says the $64,000 would support the association's current project, "which is dealing with the issue of mucositis, which is an incredibly painful side effect of chemotherapy . . . a painful ulceration of the gut-lining from the mouth to the bottom".

"At worst it could be fatal. Clearly it's a significant issue to address," he said.

Other winners on Who Wants to be a Millionaire last night were cricketer Shane Warne, who won $500,000 for the Shane Warne Foundation (which supports children's charities), and One Nation founder Pauline Hanson, who won $250,000 for the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

- Simon Yeaman

thelma
Feb 14th, 2005, 11:18 PM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,12246456%255E3162,00.html

Stosur 'will be No. 1'
Leo Schlink and AAP
15feb05

ALICIA Molik may be headed for the women's tennis No. 1 ranking but so is Samantha Stosur, according to new Australian Fed Cup captain John Alexander.

Alexander made the claim yesterday when announcing world No. 46 Stosur would lead his first cup squad in New Delhi on April 18-24, while world No. 10 Molik is given a leave pass to pursue the top ranking.

It's a bold statement about a player who has only just broken into the top 50 and has yet to win a WTA Tour singles title, but Alexander pointed to Stosur's performance when she lost narrowly to Molik in last month's Sydney International final.

"When we saw Sam play Alicia in the final of the Sydney event, where she lost 7-5 in the third and was within a couple of points of winning, a lot of people said that Alicia will be the world's No. 1," Alexander said.

"Well, Sam is only 20, so I'll make the assumption right now that Sam will make No. 1 in the world, too."

Should he be correct, it would be a remarkable turnaround for Australian women's tennis, so long in the doldrums, and with the Fed Cup team facing a long haul to break back into the elite World Group, starting with the Asia-Oceania Zone Group 1 tie.

"She (Stosur) is full of confidence and her form is outstanding," Alexander said.

Joining Stosur in the squad are Fed Cup stalwart Nicole Pratt, Evie Dominikovic and newcomer Bryanne Stewart.

Alexander gave his blessing to Molik skipping the tie. With few ranking points to defend in the first half of the year, she has a great opportunity to storm up the top 10.

"By agreement, Alicia is not going to play this first match," Alexander said. "Alicia has a real opportunity to achieve a No. 1 world ranking.

"She has a particular schedule designed to do that. The Fed Cup is an awkward date and the geographical location for these first events it really would have stuffed up the first part of her year.

"When someone has a great opportunity like this we have to be behind them."

Molik intends to play a tier one event in Charleston, South Carolina, instead of the cup tie.

Grand slam-winning doubles player Rennae Stubbs was also unavailable. She is still to resolve her dispute with Tennis Australia over a $4000 fine.

Stubbs was fined by former Fed Cup coach Mark Woodforde for arriving late in Moscow last year.

"If TA want me to play, they need to approach me, someone like Geoff (Pollard, TA president) or someone else involved in the decision to proceed with the fine," Stubbs said.

Australia will face challenges from China, Chinese Taipei, India, Korea, New Zealand, Singapore and Kazakhstan in New Delhi.

The top nations will advance to a Group 2 qualifying tie on July 9-10, with the chance to secure a berth in the World Group next year.

thelma
Feb 14th, 2005, 11:20 PM
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1264&storyid=2661110

Fed Cup to go ahead without star player

February 15, 2005

AUSTRALIA will go into their Fed Cup Asia-Oceania Zone Group round robin series in India in April without leading player Alicia Molik.

The world No.10 was not included in the squad announced yesterday for the April tie because she wanted to concentrate on her quest to become the world's top-ranked player, Australia's new Fed Cup captain John Alexander said.

"By agreement, Alicia is not going to play this first match," Alexander said at the squad announcement.

"Alicia has a real opportunity to achieve a No.1 world ranking.

"She has a particular schedule designed to do that. The Fed Cup is an awkward date and the geographical location for these first events -- it really would have stuffed up the first part of her year.

"When all things are considered Tennis Australia has to consider looking after our players holistically and when someone has a great opportunity like this, we have to be behind them."

Current world No.1 Lindsay Davenport needed more than two and a half hours to defeat Molik 6-4 4-6 9-7 in their quarter-final at last month's Australian Open in Melbourne.

The Australian squad for the Fed Cup will be led by world No.46 Samantha Stosur and includes Fed Cup stalwart Nicole Pratt, Evie Dominikovic and Bryanne Stewart.

"Were all focused on performing our best in India and taking the first step towards reclaiming a place in the Fed Cup World Group," Alexander said.

Eight nations are involved in the round robin competition from April 18 to 24 in New Delhi.

The other competing nations are China, Taiwan, India, Korea, New Zealand, Singapore and Kazakhstan.

The top two nations will advance to a World Group II qualifying tie to be played on July 9-10 for the chance to secure a place in the top 16 nations for the 2006 Fed Cup competition.

thelma
Feb 14th, 2005, 11:22 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Breaking-News/Molik-aims-for-top-spot/2005/02/14/1108229927957.html?oneclick=true

Molik aims for top spot
February 14, 2005

World No.10 Alicia Molik has turned her back on Australia's Federation Cup tie against India in a quest to become the world's top-ranked women's player.

Molik was a glaring omission from the Australian squad announced on Monday for April's Asia/Oceania Zone Group One Fed Cup tie in New Delhi, the first step in a long quest to again rejoin the World Group.

New Fed Cup captain John Alexander has given Molik his blessing to miss the tie and instead put all of her energies into becoming the world No.1.

"By agreement, Alicia is not going to play this first match," said Alexander, who hinted Molik could achieve the feat by the middle of the year if she held her current form.

"Alicia has a real opportunity to achieve a number one world ranking.

"She has a particular schedule designed to do that. The Fed Cup is an awkward date and with the geographical location for this first event it really would have stuffed up the first part of her year."

The first six months of the year represent Molik's best chance to make further inroads into the rankings, as she has comparatively fewer rankings points to defend than during her white-hot finish to 2004.

Molik's manager, Pete Smylie, confirmed that her assault on the top spot will recommence at the Proximus Diamond Games in Antwerp, where she has the bye in the first round.

"She wants to take advantage of where she is now so as not to put undue pressure on herself in the second half of the year," Smylie said of her quest for rankings points.

"It's a chance to establish herself in the top 10, even top five in the world.

"Then she can go into the French Open and Wimbledon where she didn't do that well last year but has the potential to do well."

Molik's packed itinerary takes her to tournaments in Doha and Dubai, with only a week's rest before heading to Miami for the Nasdaq 100 beginning on March 21. She is then scheduled for four more tournaments before the French Open.

However, Smylie played down talk of Molik reaching top spot come Wimbledon.

"John Alexander may be saying that, but she just wants to do the best she can and establish herself at the top of the game," Smylie said.

"She knows she can beat anybody and her ultimate goal is to be number one, but there are probably 10 other players with that goal as well.

"She has always been committed to Fed Cup, she's played the last seven years, but all she is worried about now is those first six months.

"If she plays well, everything will look after itself."

Alexander said that he was "absolutely certain" Molik will be available for future Fed Cup ties.

"When all things are considered, Tennis Australia has to consider looking after our players wholistically and when someone has a great opportunity like this we have to be behind them, knowing that Alicia has played a lot of Fed Cup in the past and we look forward to her rejoining us again."

© 2005 AAP

thelma
Feb 14th, 2005, 11:27 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12243303-23210,00.html

Stosur tipped for heights
by Adrian Proszenko
February 14, 2005

SAMANTHA Stosure and Alicia Molik may be headed for the women's tennis No.1 ranking, new Australian Fed Cup captain John Alexander said today.

He made the claim today when announcing world No.46 Stosur would lead his first cup squad against India in April while world No.10 Molik is given a leave pass to pursue the top ranking.

It's a bold statement about a player who has only just broken into the top 50 and has yet to win a WTA Tour singles title but Alexander pointed to Stosur's performance when she lost narrowly to Molik in last month's Sydney tournament final.

"When we saw Sam play Alicia in the final of the Sydney event, where she lost 7-5 in the third and was within a couple of points of winning, a lot of people said that Alicia will be the world's No.1," Alexander said.

"Well Sam is only 20, so I'll make the assumption right now that Sam will make No.1 in the world, too."

Should he be proved correct it would be a remarkable turnaround for Australian women's tennis, so long in the doldrums and with the Fed Cup team facing a long haul to break back into the elite World Group, starting with the Asia/Oceania Zone Group One tie in India.

"She (Stosur) is full of confidence and her form is outstanding," Alexander said.

Joining Stosur in the squad is Fed Cup stalwart Nicole Pratt, Evie Dominikovic and newcomer Bryanne Stewart.

Alexander gave his blessing to Molik skipping the tie – as she did the one that saw Australia relegated last year before she began her great run of form at the Olympics.

With few ranking points to defend in the first half of the year, she has a great opportunity to storm through the top 10.

"By agreement, Alicia is not going to play this first match," Alexander said.

"Alicia has a real opportunity to achieve a No.1 world ranking."

"She has a particular schedule designed to do that. The Fed Cup is an awkward date and the geographical location for these first events it really would have stuffed up the first part of her year.

"When all things considered Tennis Australia has to consider looking after our players wholistically and when someone has a great opportunity like this we have to be behind them."

Stosur said that she wouldn't be overawed by the pressure of leading the squad in Molik's absence.

"I'm going to go out there and handle it like any other match," Stosur said.

"Whether she was here or not or if I'm the No.1 (Australian) player or No.2 doesn't really matter.

"You've got to take every match as it comes and that's what I'll be doing."

The promising Queenslander said the final against Molik in Sydney had given her plenty of confidence for the season ahead.

"It was only my second appearance in a final and it was a new experience, but it was great for me," Stosur said.

"Playing her and doing as well as I did I was quite pleased, but I was disappointed I couldn't get the win after coming so close. I'm just going to learn from it.

"I've had a great run and I'm pretty confident right now."

Dominikovic, who returns to national duties after overcoming chronic fatigue syndrome, will have first-hand knowledge of the local conditions after returning yesterday from an Indian tournament.

Australia's tie against India is the first step towards the World Group.

Alexander hopes to propel his squad back into the second tier of nations by next year, but a main draw birth won't be possible until 2007, at best.

Should the Australians prevail against India, Molik is "almost certain" she will rejoin the squad for the team's next tie.

"She sent a fax to the team wishing us all the best ... she loves playing Fed Cup," Alexander said.

AAP

thelma
Feb 14th, 2005, 11:29 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12240668-23216,00.html

Aussies 'can win without Molik'
February 14, 2005

NEW Federation Cup captain John Alexander is confident that Australia will rejoin the World group, even without Alicia Molik.

World No.10 Molik was the glaring omission today when Alexander announced a squad for India in April's Asia/Oceania Zone Group One tie.

World No.46 Samantha Stosur will lead a squad that includes cup veteran Nicole Pratt, Evie Dominikovic and newcomer Bryanne Stewart.

Alexander said Molik will concentrate on her quest to become the world's No.1 player.

"By agreement, Alicia is not going to play this first match," he said.

"Alicia has a real opportunity to achieve a No.1 world ranking.

"When all things considered Tennis Australia has to consider looking after our players wholistically, and when someone has a great opportunity like this we have to be behind them."

AAP

Nichole
Feb 15th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Alicia and the fed cup story was on the tv last night

thelma
Feb 15th, 2005, 01:20 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200502/s1303144.htm

Last Update: Tuesday, February 15, 2005. 2:00pm AEDT

Molik absence no problem, says Stosur

Samantha Stosur says the absence of world number 10 Alicia Molik will have no effect on Australia's Fed Cup qualifying chances in April.

Yesterday Molik decided not to take part in the Asia and Oceania zone qualifiers in New Delhi, instead opting to stay in Europe in a drive to improve her world ranking.

World number 46 Stosur said she was confident the Australian women could win the tournament even without their highest-ranked player.

"I think we can still do well without her there," she said. "Hopefully she will be able to play in the ties ahead but we can certainly do it without her there - no problems at all."

Stosur, Nicole Pratt, Evie Dominikovic and newcomer Bryanne Stewart were yesterday named in the Australian team for the qualifiers.

Stosur has been chosen to lead the side and says each member of the team is supportive and familiar with the other's games.

"Bryanne's my permanent partner now so we are pretty experienced together, but I played with Nicole at the Olympics and I think I played with Evie a couple of times a couple of years back and we did well together as well.

"So I think no matter who JA [Fed Cup captain John Alexander] decides to put in the doubles we will have a good couple of people out on the court," she said.

Alexander has said that Molik has the team's blessing in opting to miss the matches.

Eight nations are involved in the round robin competition from April 18 to April 24 in New Delhi. The other competing nations are China, Taiwan, India, Korea, New Zealand, Singapore and Kazakhstan.

Molik is playing in this week's WTA tour event in Antwerp, where she is the fourth seed.

thelma
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:18 PM
http://www.eurosport.co.uk/home/pages/v4/l2/s57/e7386/sport_lng2_spo57_evt7386_sto688179.shtml

MOLIK IN WINNING RETURN

Alicia Molik, who impressed everyone en route to the quarter-finals at the Australian Open last month, made a winning return to action at the WTA Event in Antwerp.

Her opponent, Bulgaria's Magdalena Maleeva, pushed the powerful Australian all the way, winning the first set 6-4 before Molik struck back.

Magdelena found herself on the back foot almost throughout the match, but combined consistency with guile to keep herself in the game.

Molik, however, could not be subdued. Despite a number of unforced errors, the Australian's power began to tell and she finally prevailed in a third set tiebreak, having saved match points herself.

14:30 MOLIK FINALLY WINS 9-7 ON THE TIEBREAK WHEN MALEEVA NETS A FOREHAND!!! What a match - it couldn't have been any closer!

14:28 Maleeva saves it with an ace.. and then lobs Molik beautifully to set up a match-point of her own!

14:26 Molik comes back once again.. forcing the mini-break and setting up a match-point at 6-5!

14:24 Molik is trying to be assertive, but her groundstrokes are getting wilder... she is 4-2 down at the changeover.

14:22 Awful error from Molik at 1-1 to give away a mini-break.. sending a simple passing forehand long.

14:18 Molik holds once more to level at 6-6... WE WILL HAVE A DECIDING TIE-BREAK!

14:13 Molik finally forces a break point at 30-40.. but sends a simple forehand into the tramlines!! Maleeva takes full advantage of the let-off, holding for a 6-5 lead..

14:08 Molik holds for 5-5...

14:05 Somehow Maleeva is managing to hold onto her service games - despite being on the back foot almost constantly... she now leads 5-4 and Molik is serving to stay in the match!

14:00 Molik rounds off an easy hold with an ace.. 4-4 - we are nearing a conclusion one way or the other..

13:56 A tense game.. Molik forces a break point, which Maleeva saves with a hotly-disputed ace.. and the Bulgarian goes on to hold for a 4-3 lead.

13:49 Molik holds again.. 3-3. Which player will crack first??

13:41 Maleeva looks exhausted as Molik holds comfortably for 2-2..

13:37 What a game.. Molik runs her heart out but Maleeva stays cool to save another break point before closing out for 2-1..

13:36 This time Maleeva is not so lucky.. Molik sends a forehand deep at 30-30, which Maleeva cannot return... but the Bulgarian plays the next point fantastically, winning it with a drive-forehand volley.. deuce.

thelma
Feb 17th, 2005, 09:00 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12291324-23210,00.html

Defiant Molik storms back
From correspondents in Brussels
February 18, 2005

ALICIA Molik battled past Bulgarian Magdalena Maleeva 4-6 6-2 7-6 (9-7) in the second round of the Antwerp Open overnight.

The South Australian dropped the opening set before coming back to win the third set tiebreaker 9-7.

In other matches top seed Amelie Mauresmo swept aside French compatriot Mary Pierce 6-4 6-1.

Mauresmo said: "My game is becoming more and more aggressive but at the same time I am able to remain calm and focused. I know that tennis can be disappointing but I am only thinking about the good things that it can bring."

Reuters

thelma
Feb 18th, 2005, 01:59 AM
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/133109/1/.html

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 18 February 2005 0729 hrs

Tennis: Mauresmo and Molik make Antwerp quarter-finals

ANTWERP, Belgium : Top seeded Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo and Australia's Alicia Molik, the fifth seed, reached the quarter-finals of the WTA tournament in contrasting styles.

Mauresmo cruised past compatriot Mary Pierce for the second time in a week with a 6-4, 6-1 victory to add to her win in Paris last week and now takes on Switzerland's Patty Schnyder for a place in the semi-finals.

"I felt fine today, everything went smoothly, I served well and won the important games," said Mauresmo.

"I will need this level of tennis to beat Schnyder, because she started this year really well. She was very strong at the Australian Open and is an oppenent I have a high regard for."

Molik, a quarter-finalist at the Australian Open, had to come back from a set down to defeat veteran Bulgarian Magdalena Maleeva 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (9/7) and now meets Klara Koukalova of the Czech Republic.

- AFP

thelma
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:55 PM
http://au.news.yahoo.com/050218/15/t4wk.html

Saturday February 19, 12:30 AM Reuters

Molik through to Antwerp semis

BRUSSELS, Feb 18 (Reuters) - In-form Australian Alicia Molik raced through to the semi-finals of the Antwerp Diamond Games tournament with a 6-3 6-4 win over Czech Klara Koukalova on Friday.

The fourth seed, a quarter-finalist at the Australian Open in January, will face the winner of the match between French top seed Amelie Mauresmo and Patty Schnyder of Switzerland in the last four.

A single break was enough for Molik to clinch the first set and she was quickly 5-1 up in the second. Koukalova fought back to 5-4 before Molik wrapped up victory on serve.

Andy Mac
Feb 18th, 2005, 04:09 PM
thanks for the articles sally mander!

thelma
Feb 18th, 2005, 04:13 PM
you're welcome! :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-diamondgames&prov=ap&type=lgns

Mauresmo sets up semifinal against Molik at Diamond Games

February 18, 2005
ANTWERP, Belgium (AP) -- Top-seeded Amelie Mauresmo advanced to the semifinals of the Diamond Games with a 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 victory over Patty Schnyder on Friday.

Mauresmo, the world's No. 2 player, will meet Australia's Alicia Molik in the semis. The fourth-seeded Molik beat Klara Koukalova 6-3, 6-4.

In a later match, former No. 1 player and defending champion Kim Clijsters played two-time champion Venus Williams.

Updated on Friday, Feb 18, 2005 9:41 am EST

thelma
Feb 21st, 2005, 09:27 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12330324-23210,00.html

Molik rises one place :bounce:
February 21, 2005

ALICIA Molik continued her march up the women's tennis rankings, climbing one place in the weekly WTA Tour list released today.

The Adelaide player now sits at No.9 in the world with 2426 points, 157 behind Venus Williams.

The American failed in the defence of her Antwerp Diamond Games title on Sunday, falling to top seeded Amelie Mauresmo 4-6 7-5 6-4 in the final.

Molik lost to the French star in the semis, but closed the gap on Williams as she had fewer points to defend.

The WTA top eight was unchanged with American Lindsay Davenport (4965) leading Mauresmo (4854) and Serena Williams (4389) atop the rankings.

AAP

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Breaking-News/Molik-rises-up-WTA-ladder/2005/02/21/1108834728812.html?oneclick=true

Molik rises up WTA ladder
February 21, 2005

Alicia Molik continued her march up the women's tennis rankings, climbing one place in the weekly WTA Tour list released on Monday.

The Adelaide player now sits at No.9 in the world with 2,426 points, just 157 behind Venus Williams.

The American failed in the defence of her Antwerp Diamond Games title on Sunday, falling to top seeded Amelie Mauresmo 4-6 7-5 6-4 in the final.

Molik lost to the French star in the semis but closed the gap on Williams as she had fewer points to defend.

The WTA top eight was unchanged with American Lindsay Davenport (4,965) leading Mauresmo (4,854) and Serena Williams (4,389).
AdvertisementAdvertisement

© 2005 AAP

thelma
Feb 24th, 2005, 12:26 AM
http://www.sportal.com.au/tennis.asp?i=news&id=62759

Molik belts Pratt
Sportal

http://www.sportal.com.au/photos/news/062759news.jpg

Alicia Molik has continued her run of good form with a straight sets victory over fellow-Australian Nicole Pratt at the Qatar Open.

Molik was rarely troubled by Pratt as she cruised through to the third round with a 6-3 6-2 victory.

"I have been playing well regularly and I am happy that I could carry that form into Doha as well," Molik told AFP.

Russian Maria Sharapova recorded a similarly easy victory over Argentine teenager Gisela Dulko 6-1 6-1.

She showed no signs of the respiratory illness that kept her out of the Paris Open earlier this month, racing to a 4-0 lead in the second set, before wrapping up the match.

Meanwhile, Spanish veteran Conchita Martinez has ended Anastasia Myskina's bid for a Qatar Open hat-trick.

Martinez beat the two-time defending champion 6-4 7-5 to advance to the third round where she will meet Slovak Daniela Hantuchova.

Hantuchova weathered a spirited fight-back from Russian Elena Bovina to reach the third round.

After sweeping through the opening set, Bovina rallied to claim the second, but Hantuchova proved the stronger, taking the match 6-0 3-6 6-3.

Amelie Mauresmo also faced a tough challenge in her match against Serbian wildcard Ana Ivanovic.

The world No.2 lost the first set before levelling and then winning the match 2-6 6-2 6-4.

Russian Maria Kirilenko caused an upset, beating fifth seeded Swiss Patty Schnyder 6-0 1-6 6-2, while Italian Francesca Schiavone also advanced following a three-set victory over Ai Sugiyama of Japan 6-2 2-6 6-2.

Frenchwoman Marion Bartoli also reached the third round with a 7-5 6-2 victory over Croatian Jelena Kostanic.

Qatar Open results
Second round:
1-Amelie Mauresmo (France) bt WC-Ana Ivanovic (Serbia and Montenegro) 2-6 6-2 6-4
2-Maria Sharapova (Russia) bt Gisela Dulko (Argentina) 6-1 6-1
Conchita Martinez (Spain) bt 3-Anastasia Myskina (Russia) 6-4 7-5
4-Alicia Molik (Australia) bt Nicole Pratt (Australia) 6-3 6-2
Maria Kirilenko (Russia) bt 5-Patty Schnyder (Switzerland) 6-0 1-6 6-2
Daniela Hantuchova (Slovak Republic) bt 6-Elena Bovina (Russia) 6-0 3-6 6-3
Francesca Schiavone (Italy) bt Ai Sugiyama (Japan) 6-2 2-6 6-2

thelma
Feb 24th, 2005, 12:29 AM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12355298-23209,00.html

Molik to good for Pratt
From correspondents in Doha
February 24, 2005

AUSTRALIAN Alicia Molik opened her Qatar Open campaign with a convincing 6-3 6-2 win over compatriot Nicole Pratt overnight.

Molik, a quarter-finalist at last month's Australian Open, has been steadily climbing up the world rankings and is now at nine.

"I have been playing well regularly and I am happy that I could carry that form into Doha as well," she said.

"During the last couple of years there was lot of change in my game.

"There is some consistency now and I am excited about it," added the 24-year-old, who is seeded number four for the tournament.

Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova scored an easy 6-1 6-1 victory over Gisela Dulko of Argentina in their second round match.

Russian Sharapova, who missed the Paris Open earlier this month due to a respiratory illness, showed no signs of her layoff as she broke Dulko in the second and fourth games to jump to a 4-0 lead.

The Argentine had a chance to break Sharapova in the fifth game of the first set but Dulko failed to seize her opportunity and the second seed was in no mood to oblige her with more openings.

Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia eliminated Russian sixth seed Elena Bovina 6-0 3-6 6-3.

Reuters

thelma
Feb 24th, 2005, 12:32 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Molik-eyes-Grand-Slam-glorys/2005/02/22/1108834761993.html?oneclick=true

Molik eyes Grand Slam glory
February 22, 2005 - 9:34AM

With one tournament title and a quarter-final berth at the Australian Open already accomplished this season, Alicia Molik is aiming for a Grand Slam semi-final by the end of the year.

The 24-year-old Adelaide native, who at No. 9 is the highest-ranked Australian on the women's tour, has five tournament titles. She dragged Lindsay Davenport to a third set in Melbourne before finally losing, but in 24 previous Grand Slam tournaments, she was eliminated in the first round 11 times.

"My goal this year is to perform better than I did at the Australian Open. I feel it is important to do well at the Grand Slams to improve one's ranking," Molik said. "Rankings reflect what level of tennis you are playing.

"I want to achieve consistently good results at the Slams. I think I have the game to do well at big events. Things are looking up for me."

Molik won three tournaments in the final five months of 2004. In three events so far this season she won in Sydney in January, reached the Australian Open quarters and the semi-finals last week in Antwerp, Belgium.

"I am consistently improving my overall game and consequently my ranking is also on the up," said Molik, the fourth seed at this week's Qatar Open. "There was a lot of pressure on me during the recent Australian Open and I feel I handled it pretty well. The fact I reached the quarter-finals at the first Grand Slam of the year has given me a lot of confidence."

Victories and consistent play recently have convinced her to demand more of herself.

"A lot has changed in the last couple of years," she said. "I am now playing fairly regularly on the Tour. I have of confidence in my ability now."

Molik received a bye into the second round of this week's WTA Qatar Open, where she will face Selima Sfar of Tunisia.

In three years at this event, she has been eliminated in the first round twice, but in 2002 she reached the semi-finals before being beaten by Monica Seles.

"I am quite excited about my chances because of the surface here (Ace Rebound), which suits my game," Molik said. "More importantly, I want to be here by the end of this week."

© 2005 AP

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/3410706?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=199

Australia's Molik eyes Grand Slam glory

Rizwan Rehmat / Associated Press
Posted: 2 days ago

DOHA, Qatar (AP) - With one tournament title and a quarterfinal berth at the Australian Open already accomplished this season, Alicia Molik is aiming for a Grand Slam semifinal by the end of the year.

The 24-year-old Adelaide native, who at No. 9 is the highest-ranked Australian on the women's tour, has five tournament titles. She dragged Lindsay Davenport to a third set in Melbourne before finally losing, but in 24 previous Grand Slam tournaments, she was eliminated in the first round 11 times.

"My goal this year is to perform better than I did at the Australian Open. I feel it is important to do well at the Grand Slams to improve one's ranking," Molik said. "Rankings reflect what level of tennis you are playing.

"I want to achieve consistently good results at the Slams. I think I have the game to do well at big events. Things are looking up for me."

Molik won three tournaments in the final five months of 2004. In three events so far this season she won in Sydney in January, reached the Australian Open quarters and the semifinals last week in Antwerp, Belgium.

"I am consistently improving my overall game and consequently my ranking is also on the up," said Molik, the fourth seed at this week's Qatar Open. "There was a lot of pressure on me during the recent Australian Open and I feel I handled it pretty well. The fact I reached the quarterfinals at the first Grand Slam of the year has given me a lot of confidence."

Victories and consistent play recently have convinced her to demand more of herself.

"A lot has changed in the last couple of years," she said. "I am now playing fairly regularly on the Tour. I have of confidence in my ability now."

Molik received a bye into the second round of this week's tournament, where she will face Selima Sfar of Tunisia.

In three years at this event, she has been eliminated in the first round twice, but in 2002 she reached the semifinals before being beaten by Monica Seles.

"I am quite excited about my chances because of the surface here (Ace Rebound), which suits my game," Molik said. "More importantly, I want to be here by the end of this week."

thelma
Feb 24th, 2005, 02:41 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200502/s1309701.htm

Last Update: Thursday, February 24, 2005. 8:00am AEDT
Molik through as Martinez scuppers Myskina hat-trick

Australia's Alicia Molik progressed to the quarter-finals of the Qatar Open but her efforts played second fiddle to those of Spanish veteran Conchita Martinez who produced a truly vintage performance to oust defending champion and third seed Anastasia Myskina.

While Myskina was heading for the exit door, there were no such problems for top-seed Amelie Mauresmo or Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova who both booked their places in the quarter-finals along with Molik, who beat fellow Australian Nicole Pratt in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2.

Former Wimbledon winner Martinez, who played a three setter against Italian Roberta Vinci in the first round, showed hardly any signs of fatigue as she defeated French Open champion Myskina 6-4, 7-5 to deny the Russian a shot at a third straight Qatar title.

Martinez, who will be 33 in April, came out a winner, tactically and psychologically as she dominated play for most part of the match.

She forced Myskina, 10 years her junior, to make numerous errors and surrender the initiative at key moments.

After winning the first set with relative ease, Martinez appeared to be cruising to victory when she was up 4-1 and serving for the second set when Myskina launched a fightback that saw the scores level at 4-4 after the Russian secured two consecutive breaks.

Myskina then went ahead 5-4 before Martinez held serve and broke back to lead 6-5 and then wrap up the match by holding serve.

Martinez will clash with Slovakian Daniela Hantuchova in the quarter-finals on Thursday (local time).

"It was a tough match," said Martinez. "I was aggressive today and I am happy with the start I have made this season, especially after winning in Pattaya."

The 1994 wimbledon winner said she found the conditions tough.

"The courts are slow and the balls heavy and it took me five days to get used to the conditions here," she said.

When asked if thoughts about quitting the game ever cross her mind, she said: "Never. Beating top five players like Myskina is what I enjoy and that keeps me going."

In another upset, Russian qualifier Maria Kirilenko ousted Swiss fifth seed Patty Schnyder 6-0, 1-6, 6-2 to set up a quarter-final meeting with top seed Mauresmo.

Mauresmo, fresh from her win in Antwerp at the weekend, survived a scare from Serbia and Montenegrin qualifier Ana Ivanovic before winning 2-6, 6-2, 6-4.

Sharapova stormed into the last eight with a comprehensive victory over Argentina's Gisela Dulko.

The reigning Wimbledon champion was just too strong for her rival as she coasted to a 6-1, 6-1 win to join the last eight.

"It was a good match to get through," said Sharapova. "It's never easy to make a comeback after an illness-enforced break, but I took my opportunities."

The second seeded Sharapova said she still felt a bit tired from the after effects of the flu that forced her to skip the Paris Indoor Open earlier this month.

"I am still not 100 per cent but I was happy to dictate the match today and get used to the conditions here in a proper match setting," said Sharapova, who will clash with France's Marion Bartoli next.

Bartoli defeated Jelena Kostanic of Croatia 7-5, 6-2.

-AFP

thelma
Feb 25th, 2005, 12:47 AM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,12366559%5e11088,00.html

Molik into semi-finals :bounce:
AFP
25feb05

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,421070,00.jpg

AUSTRALIA'S Alicia Molik will play top seed Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo in the semi-finals of the $764,000 WTA Qatar Open after disposing of Italy's Francesca Schiavone.

The tournament's No.4 seed scored a hard fought 6-2 3-6 7-6 (7-1) to claim victory, while Mauresmo easily ousted qualifier Maria Kirilenko 6-2 6-2.

Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova of Russia will take on Slovakia's Daniela Hantuchova for a place in the final after both glamour girls came through their quarter-finals.

Sharapova, the second seed, ousted France's Marion Bartoli 6-3, 6-2 after Hantuchova earlier eliminated Spanish veteran Conchita Martinez 6-4, 6-1.

Sharapova had too much class for Bartoli, although the reigning Wimbledon champion was far from perfect.

Bartoli actually led the first set 3-2 after a break in the fourth game, but Sharapova caught up soon and finished off the set with a break in the 11th game.

The Russian then swept to a 5-0 lead in the second set only to suffer a minor hiccup when Bartoli broke her and held her serve to narrow the gap at 2-5. Sharapova, who was quite pumped up by now, duly served out the match.

"I was a bit sloppy in some of the games. I wished I had served a little better," said the 17-year-old.

Sharapova said she was happy with her season so far, having made four semifinals so far.

"I've worked very hard and I try to push myself hard and raise my game every day," she said.

Earlier Hantuchova, the 2002 Wimbledon and US Open quarter-finalist, was in a tearing hurry as she raced past the 32-year-old Martinez by winning six games in a row after a rain interruption that lasted nearly three hours.

"It was a pleasing victory and I'm very happy with my concentration," said Hantuchova.

"Conchita is a dangerous player with lots of experience behind her and I knew I had to be very aggressive from the start," added Hantuchova after reaching her first semi-final of the year.

Martinez, who had upset the two-time defending champion Anastasia Myskina of Russia in the second round Wednesday, ran out of steam against a much quicker opponent who didn't hesitate to display her full array of shots on the Khalifa Complex centre court.

After wrapping up the first set with her third break in the 10th game which she finished with a blistering forehand, Hantuchova upped the tempo in the second set.

The lithe Slovakian secured breaks in the second and fourth games as Martinez was forced into committing several errors. A deft volley that skimmed the net and a searing down the line winner showed Hantuchova was in a totally different league.

Martinez did win a game, the sixth, but only after saving a match point. In the end it proved too little too late as Hantuchova finished off the match by winning the seventh game to love.

thelma
Feb 25th, 2005, 12:52 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Molik-advances-to-the-semis-in-Dohas/2005/02/25/1109180074275.html?oneclick=true

Molik advances to the semis in Doha
February 25, 2005 - 9:49AM

Australia's Alicia Molik is through to the semi-finals of the $A764,000 Qatar Open in Doha.

Molik defeated Francesca Schiavone of Italy, 6-2 3-6 7-6 (7-1), and will play top seed Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo.

In other games, Wimbledon champ Maria Sharapova beat Marion Bartoli of France 6-3 6-2 to reach her third semi-final in as many events this year.

Second-seeded Sharapova set up a semi-final against former top-5 player Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia, who downed Spanish veteran Conchita Martinez 6-4 6-1 in a rain-interrupted quarter-final.

Sharapova's second easy straight-sets win confirmed she was well past the bronchitis which forced her to withdraw before the Open Gaz de France this month.

Hantuchova broke 1994 Wimbledon champion Martinez three times in each set of a match which was halted in the first set by a two-hour rain delay.

Martinez had ousted two-time defending champion Anastasia Myskina the previous day, but was overwhelmed by Hantuchova, who reached her first WTA Tour semi-finals since June.

© 2005 AP

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200502/s1310619.htm

Last Update: Friday, February 25, 2005. 8:25am AEDT

Molik to meet Mauresmo for spot in Doha final

Australia's Alicia Molik will take on France's top-seed Amelie Mauresmo for a place in the final of the $A762,000 WTA Qatar Open after both came through their quarter-finals overnight.

Molik defeated Italy's Francesca Schiavone 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (7-1) while Mauresmo ousted Russian qualifier Maria Kirilenko 6-2, 6-2.

The other semi-final will be played between Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova of Russia and Slovakia's Daniela Hantuchova.

Molik will have a battle on her hands to overcome France's world number two who beat the Australian 6-3, 7-6 in the semi-finals of the Antwerp event less than a week ago.

The Frenchwoman then went on to beat American Venus Williams in three sets in the final to win her first title for the year.

Sharapova, the second seed, ousted France's Marion Bartoli 6-3, 6-2 after Hantuchova earlier eliminated Spanish veteran Conchita Martinez 6-4, 6-1.

Sharapova had too much class for Bartoli, although the reigning Wimbledon champion was far from perfect.

Bartoli actually led the first set 3-2 after a break in the fourth game, but Sharapova caught up soon and finished off the set with a break in the 11th game.

The Russian then swept to a 5-0 lead in the second set only to suffer a minor hiccup when Bartoli broke her and held her serve to narrow the gap at 2-5. Sharapova, who was quite pumped up by that stage, duly served out the match.

"I was a bit sloppy in some of the games. I wished I had served a little better," said the 17-year-old.

Sharapova said she was happy with her season so far, having made four semi-finals so far.

"I've worked very hard and I try to push myself hard and raise my game every day," she said.

Earlier Hantuchova, the 2002 Wimbledon and US Open quarter-finalist, was in a hurry as she raced past the 32-year-old Martinez by winning six games in a row after a rain interruption that lasted nearly three hours.

"It was a pleasing victory and I'm very happy with my concentration," said Hantuchova.

"Conchita is a dangerous player with lots of experience behind her and I knew I had to be very aggressive from the start," added Hantuchova after reaching her first semi-final of the year.

Martinez, who had upset the two-time defending champion Anastasia Myskina of Russia in the second round, ran out of steam against a much quicker opponent who did not hesitate to display her full array of shots on the Khalifa Complex centre court.

After wrapping up the first set with her third break in the 10th game which she finished with a blistering forehand, Hantuchova upped the tempo in the second set.

The lithe Slovakian secured breaks in the second and fourth games as Martinez was forced into committing several errors. A deft volley that skimmed the net and a searing down the line winner showed Hantuchova was in a totally different league.

Martinez did win a game, the sixth, but only after saving a match point. In the end it proved too little too late as Hantuchova finished off the match by winning the seventh game to love.

-AFP

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12366202-23210,00.html

Molik-Mauresmo semi-final
February 25, 2005

ALICIA Molik will meet Amelie Mauresmo for a place in the final of the Qatar Open.

In overnight quarter-finals, Molik defeated Italy's Francesca Schiavone 6-2 3-6 7-6 (7-1), while Mauresmo eliminated Russian qualifier Maria Kirilenko 6-2, 6-2.

In the other semi, Russian Maria Sharapova will meet Slovakian Daniela Hantuchova

Sharapova, the second seed, defeated France's Marion Bartoli 6-3 6-2 after Hantuchova earlier eliminated Spanish veteran Conchita Martinez 6-4 6-1.

The Russian then swept to a 5-0 lead in the second set only to suffer a minor hiccup when Bartoli broke her and held her serve to narrow the gap at 2-5. Sharapova, who was quite pumped up by now, duly served out the match.

Sharapova said she is happy with her season so far, having made four semi-finals.

Agence France-Presse

~Rachel~
Feb 25th, 2005, 05:26 PM
From The Age:

Molik meets Mauresmo again
February 25, 2005 - 1:49PM

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Australia's Alicia Molik set up a final four clash against top seed Amelie Mauresmo with a hard-fought win over Italy's Francesca Schiavone at the Qatar Open.

Molik doesn't have to look too far back to prepare for her encounter with Mauresmo, after losing to the French player 6-3 7-6 (7-2) in last week's Antwerp semi-finals.

The world No.9 was forced to scrap against the Italian, pulling through 6-2 3-6 7-6 (7-1) in a topsy-turvy affair.

In contrast, Mauresmo cruised past Maria Kirilenko of Russia 6-2 6-2 to remain on track for her third successive finals appearance this month.

After losing the final in Paris then winning in Antwerp last weekend, Mauresmo has won 10 of 12 matches this year.

"I am very happy that I am playing well here in Doha," she said.

"I had good match practice yesterday (on Wednesday) and today also. I hope I can do as well in the semifinal. I am playing good tennis right now."

Mauresmo expected a tougher contest against the fourth-seeded Australian, whose career has been on a sharp ascent in the past six months.

Advertisement
Advertisement"She's been playing very well the past six to eight months," said Mauresmo of Molik.

"We know each other's games well but I'm looking forward to it. This is what you look forward to - tough matches."

In the other semi-final Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova will play former top-five player Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia.

Second-seeded Sharapova beat Marion Bartoli of France 6-3 6-2 to reach her third semifinals in as many events this year while Hantuchova downed Spanish veteran Conchita Martinez 6-4 6-1 in a rain-interrupted quarterfinal.

Sharapova's second easy straight-sets win confirmed she was well past the bronchitis which forced her to withdraw before the Open Gaz de France this month.

"I was able to get a lot of balls in today," Sharapova said.

"My shotmaking was pretty OK and I was fairly consistent with my returns. I was a bit slow at the start, but I recovered well by serving strongly (after game three). I came up with the goods when I had to."

© 2005 AP

thelma
Feb 25th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Congrats, Alicia! :bounce:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-qatar&prov=ap&type=lgns

Alicia Molik of Australia beats top seed Amelie Mauresmo of France
February 25, 2005

DOHA, Qatar (AP) -- Top-seeded Amelie Mauresmo lost a chance to claim the No. 1 ranking in women's tennis when she was upset Friday by Australian Alicia Molik in the rain-marred semifinals of the Qatar Open.

The French world No. 2 was one win away from passing top-ranked American Lindsay Davenport. But fourth-seeded Molik won 7-6 (13-11), 6-1 in a match delayed by heavy rain for almost five hours.

Molik, like Mauresmo an Australian Open quarterfinalist, will meet the winner of the late semifinal between Maria Sharapova of Russia and Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia. Sharapova is seeded second in the $600,000 tournament.

Playing equally well from the baseline or near the net, Molik won a first-set tiebreaker that involved 24 points.

No service breaks were recorded in the first set, but each player saved five set points in the tiebreaker. Molik won after Mauresmo hit two straight returns into the net at 11-all.

Molik wasted little time wrapping up the match, pulling off two service breaks in both the second and sixth games of the second set. Mauresmo helped with a series of mistakes, long returns and poor volleying.

Updated on Friday, Feb 25, 2005 4:40 pm EST

Molik, Sharapova reach final at Qatar Open
February 25, 2005

DOHA, Qatar (Ticker) - Amelie Mauresmo could not recover from dropping a tough first-set tiebreaker.

The top seed from France, Mauresmo fell to No. 4 Alicia Molik of Australia, 7-6 (13-11), 6-1, in Friday's semifinals of the $600,000 Qatar Total Open.

"The first set made a big difference," Mauresmo said. "I had my opportunities but I wasn't good enough. I got a little tired in the second set, both mentally and physically."

"(The tiebreaker) was anyone's to win," Molik said. "I chased the balls as hard as I could which forced her to hit winners. I was also moving well. The most important thing was I felt I lifted the level of play. I wasn't complacent after winning the tiebreak, I had to fight hard to win and take advantage of every opportunity."

Mauresmo was coming off her first title in 2005, defeating Venus Williams in three sets in the final of the Proximus Diamond Games last Sunday. The previous week, she was upset by Russia's Dinara Safina in the final of the Open Gaz de France tournament.

Molik will face second seed Maria Sharapova in Saturday's final of the hardcourt event. The reigning Wimbledon champion from Russia, Sharapova defeated Slovakian Daniela Hantuchova, 6-2, 6-4, in the second semifinal.

"It was pretty tough going on the court so late," Hantuchova said. "My reaction time was a little slow but I'm not going to make excuses. I didn't take my chances. I didn't play the way I've been playing. If I had, the scoreline would have been a bit different."

Sharapova is seeking her second title of the year, having won the Tokyo Pan Pacific.

First prize in the Tier II event is $94,000.

Updated on Friday, Feb 25, 2005 5:30 pm EST

thelma
Feb 25th, 2005, 11:11 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12376122-23209,00.html

Molik, Sharapova for final
February 26, 2005

FOURTH seed Alicia Molik produced an awesome display of power today to shock top-seeded Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo and set up a dream title clash with Russian Maria Sharapova at the WTA Qatar Open.

The Aussie world No.9 was too good for her world No.2 opponent, especially in the second set.

She completed a 7-6 (13/11), 6-1 victory after rain stopped play for almost four hours, with proceedings tied 3-3 in the first set.

She next meets second seed Sharapova, who defeated Slovak Daniela Hantuchova 6-2, 6-4.

Molik said she felt pretty confident about her game heading into the final against the reigning Wimbledon champion.

"I always expected myself to make it through the week in Doha and I am not surprised to see myself in the final," said Molik.

"I had to fight hard initially, but later felt so comfortable that I could have played another two sets out there."

Sharapova broke Hantuchova in the third and sixth games of the first set and then finished off the match after securing her only break in the ninth game of the second set.

Earlier, Molik won a tough first set tie-break after both players failed to get a break, with the 25-year-old Frenchwoman surrendering the initiative despite holding set point on four occasions.

The 24-year-old from Melbourne led the tiebreak at 5-3 at one stage, but Mauresmo came out firing on all cylinders to not only level the scores, but also lead her rival several times.

But Molik, with her powerful serve and an equally aggressive allround game, fought back to level at 8-8, 9-9 and 10-10 before clinching the first set.

Molik, who was all charged up after her first set victory, then swamped the jaded Mauresmo in the second, which she won at a canter.

The Australian secured breaks in the second and sixth games as Mauresmo struggled to get her game in order and appeared to give up the fight.

"I was mentally tired, but all credit to Alicia. She really played well and deserved to win today," said Mauresmo after just her second loss to the Australian in five meetings.

The Frenchwoman missed a chance to reclaim the world No.1 spot, which she held for five weeks last year, from American Lindsay Davenport.

Molik, meanwhile, bids for her sixth career title and second this year after Sydney. She lost twice to Sharapova in their previous three meetings last year.

Agence France-Presse

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Breaking-News/Molik-dumps-Mauresmo/2005/02/26/1109180142090.html?oneclick=true

Molik dumps Mauresmo

February 26, 2005 - 9:29AM

Alicia Molik has produced an awesome display of power to shock top seeded Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo in their rain interrupted semi-final at the $A763,553 WTA Qatar Open.

The fourth-seeded Australian, ranked number nine in the world, was too good for world number two Mauresmo booking a 7-6 (13/11) 6-1 victory.

Rain stopped play for almost four hours with play tied 3-3 in the first set but Molik fought back at 8-8 9-9 and 10-10 before clinching the first set.

MOLIK next meets either second seed Maria Sharapova of Russia or Slovak Daniela Hantuchova as she bids for her sixth career title and second this year after Sydney.

© 2005 AAP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4299509.stm

Molik ends Mauresmo titles hopes

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40825000/jpg/_40825119_molik203.jpg

Alicia Molik claimed a shock win over Amelie Mauresmo in the Qatar Open semi-finals, winning 7-6 (13-11) 6-1.

Mauresmo reached set point four times in the first set but failed to convert any and Molik's resilient display seemed to fire her up for the next set.

The Australian broke Mauresmo in the second and sixth games as the top seed just ran out of steam and desire.

Molik meets second seed Maria Sharapova in the final, who later defeated Daniela Hantuchova 6-2 6-4.

Molik said she felt pretty confident about her game heading into the final against the reigning Wimbledon champion.

"I always expected myself to make it through the week in Doha and I am not surprised to see myself in the final," she said.

"I had to fight hard initially but later felt so comfortable that I could have played another two sets out there."

thelma
Feb 25th, 2005, 11:19 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200502/s1311561.htm

Last Update: Saturday, February 26, 2005. 8:39am (AEDT)

Molik dumps Mauresmo in Doha :worship:

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200502/r41534_105847.jpg

licia Molik produced an awesome display of power to shock top-seeded Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo in their rain-interrupted semi-final at the WTA Qatar Open this morning.

The Australian world number nine was too good for her world number two opponent, especially in the second set, completing a 7-6 (13/11), 6-1 victory after rain stopped play for almost four hours with play tied 3-3 in the first set.

Fourth seed Molik won a tough first set tiebreak after both players failed to get a break with the 25-year-old Frenchwoman surrendering the initiative despite holding set point on four occasions.

The 24-year-old from Melbourne led the tiebreak at 5-3 at one stage, but Mauresmo came out firing on all cylinders to not only level the scores, but also lead her rival several times.

But Molik, with her powerful serve and an equally aggressive allround game, fought back to level at 8-8, 9-9 and 10-10 before clinching the first set.

Molik, who was all charged up after taking the first set, swamped the jaded Mauresmo in the second, which she won at a canter.

The Australian secured breaks in the second and sixth games as Mauresmo struggled to get her game in order and appeared to give up the fight.

"I was mentally tired, but all credit to Alicia. She really played well and deserved to win today," said Mauresmo after just her second loss to the Australian in five meetings.

Molik next meets either second seed Maria Sharapova or Daniela Hantuchova as she bids for her sixth career title and second this year after Sydney.

-AFP

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/134520/1/.html

Tennis: Molik dumps Mauresmo in Doha

DOHA, Qatar : Fourth-seeded Alicia Molik produced an awesome display of power to shock top-seeded Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo in their rain-interrupted semi-finals at the 600,000 dollar WTA Qatar Open.

The Aussie world number 9 was too good for her world number 2 opponent especially in the second set, completing a 7-6 (13/11), 6-1 victory after rain stopped play for almost four hours with play tied 3-3 in the first set.

Molik won a tough first set tiebreak after both players failed to get a break with the 25-year-old Frenchwoman surrendering the initiative despite holding set point on four occasions.

The 24-year-old from Melbourne led the tiebreak at 5-3 at one stage but Mauresmo came out firing on all cylinders to not only level the scores, but also lead her rival several times.

Molik, who was all charged up after her first set victory, swamped the jaded Mauresmo in the second which she won at a canter.

Molik next meets either second seed Maria Sharapova of Russia or Slovak Daniela Hantuchova as she bids for her sixth career title and second this year after Sydney.

- AFP

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12375964-23209,00.html

Molik fires into final

February 26, 2005

FOURTH seed Alicia Molik produced an awesome display of power to shock top-seeded Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo in their rain-interrupted semi-finals at the WTA Qatar Open today.

The Aussie world number 9 was too good for her world number 2 opponent especially in the second set.

She completed the 7-6 (13/11), 6-1 victory after rain stopped play for almost four hours with play tied 3-3 in the first set.

Molik won a tough first set tiebreak after both players failed to get a break, with the 25-year-old Frenchwoman surrendering the initiative despite holding set point on four occasions.

The 24-year-old from Melbourne led the tiebreak at 5-3 at one stage but Mauresmo came out firing on all cylinders to not only level the scores, but also lead her rival several times.

Molik, who was all charged up after her first set victory, swamped the jaded Mauresmo in the second, which she won at a canter.

Molik next meets either second seed Maria Sharapova, of Russia, or Slovak Daniela Hantuchova as she bids for her sixth career title and second this year after Sydney.

Agence France-Presse

1 hour, 59 minutes ago

DOHA (Reuters) - Fourth seed Alicia Molik (news) of Australia gained sweet revenge for last week's Antwerp loss when she knocked out top seed Amelie Mauresmo (news) of France 7-6 (13-11) 6-1 Friday to reach the final of the $600,000 Qatar Open.

Molik came out firing on all cylinders after the match was interrupted for five hours by heavy rain when the players were level 3-3 in the first set.

The tie-breaker was intense with both players saving five set points before Molik emerged victorious with Mauresmo hitting two successive returns into the net at 11-11.

In the second set, Mauresmo committed a series unforced errors and paid the price.

She said: "I was mentally and physically tired after the first set. But I must say she played really well and deserved to win today. It was just one of those days that I couldn't win."

Molik, a quarter-finalist at the Australian Open, will meet the winner of the second semi-final between Maria Sharapova (news) of Russia and Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia in Saturday's final.

~Rachel~
Feb 26th, 2005, 01:51 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Tennis/Molik-turns-tables-on-past-failures/2005/02/26/1109180168038.html

Molik turns tables on past failures
By Will Swanton
February 27, 2005
The Sun-Herald

Alicia Molik's ranking points keep ticking over like a slot machine paying the jackpot. And there's more to come.

Her appearance in the final of the Qatar Open against Maria Sharapova today will catapult her past Venus Williams from ninth to eighth on the world rankings, regardless of the result, keeping her in the hunt to become world No.1 by the end of the year.

In Molik's favour is her barren run last year and poor efforts in the three tournaments that carry the most points - the French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open, where she lost in the first, third and second rounds respectively.

Under the ranking system those results will be wiped from Molik's record and be replaced by the points she earns from those tournaments this year. Between now and Wimbledon, she will play eight events in which she mostly bombed out early during a slow start to 2004.

Molik lost in the first round in Doha last year. Bingo already. Next week she ventures to Dubai, where she lost in the second round in 2004. Miami, Amelia Island, Rome ... every failure 12 months ago is another golden opportunity. If she keeps reaching the serious end of WTA tournaments and threatens at the majors, her ranking will continue to skyrocket.

"She just wants to win tournaments," said her manager, Peter Smylie.

"If she does that, her ranking will take care of itself."

Molik advanced to today's final by bundling out top seed Amelie Mauresmo, extracting revenge for her loss last week to the French world No.2. Sharapova swept past Slovakia's Daniela Hantuchova 6-2, 6-4 in her semi-final and takes a 2-1 record against Molik into the decider.

Molik, seeded fourth, overcame a five-hour rain delay at 3-3 in the first set and a tension-filled tie-breaker. Both players saved five set points in the tie-breaker but Molik held her nerve from 11-11 as Mauresmo dumped two forehands into the net.

"I somehow always expected to stay until the weekend here," Molik said. "I'm not surprised to see myself in the final. I must say I had to fight hard to win this match but I was always in the comfort zone, so much that I could have played another two sets out there."

~Rachel~
Feb 26th, 2005, 08:07 PM
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/sport_story_skin/476369?format=html

Sharapova wins over Molik

Feb 27, 2005

Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova staged a superb rally on Sunday to smother the challenge of Alicia Molik 4-6 6-1 6-4 and win the Qatar Open.

"I was always positive, even after losing the first set," the Russian smiled after collecting her winner's cheque of $94,000. "I had a good game."

However, the world number four and second seed found the going tough in the first set.

Fourth seed Molik, brimming with confidence after her semi-final win over top seed Amelie Mauresmo on Friday, played aggressive tennis and knocked the wind out of Sharapova in the first set.

The Australian world number nine broke Sharapova in the third game and held her serve in the next to take a 3-1 lead.

Showing scant respect for the rising Russian, Molik fired four aces in all to win the first set 6-4 in 36 minutes.

Molik, who had beaten Sharapova in the Zurich final last year, looked heading for a repeat of that win but Sharapova rebounded, breaking Molik in the second and fourth games to clinch the second set 6-1.

The Russian teenager raised her game a notch and took a vice-like grip. As Sharapova grew in stature, Molik's game fell apart and her challenge fizzled out.

Sharapova broke Molik in the fifth game of the third set and held her nerve for victory.

"In the second set I thought I needed to add some pace to my shots. I also knew I had to keep my serve if I have to win the match. But the key to success is my positive attitude. I approach all tournaments with a positive frame of mind," the Russian said.

"I hit the ball better in the second and third sets. And thing turned in my favour. But I should say that whenever we have played, we played it tough. Alicia plays great points and to beat her I have to be at my best.

"Actually the match could have gone anybody's way. Only a few points separated us. But when I broke her twice in the second set I knew it would be difficult for her to beat me," she added.

Molik got a cheque for $50,000. "I had a long week, not bad at all. I played well too," she said.

"But I spent a lot of time on the court (playing doubles and singles) and I think suffered from a lapse of concentration in the second set.

"Of course I am disappointed not to win the title, but overall I have been playing well of late."

~Rachel~
Feb 26th, 2005, 08:10 PM
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/134645/1/.html

Tennis: Sharapova tames Molik in Doha final

DOHA : Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova fought back in style to beat Alicia Molik and clinch the WTA Qatar Open crown here on Saturday.

The Russian second seed prevailed over the Australian fourth seed 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 in an intense final to claim the 94,000 dollar top prize and jump to number three in the WTA rankings.

The reigning Wimbledon champion thus extended her domination over Molik to three wins from four encounters.

However, it was the first time that Sharapova had beaten Molik in a final, the Australian having won the title when they met for the title in Zurich in 2004.

Molik, who had shocked the top seeded Amelie Mauresmo of France in the semifinals on Friday, appeared to have carried her form into the final when she broke the Siberia-born Sharapova in the third game of the first set and went on to win it.

But Sharapova hit back with such ferocity that Molik's game fell apart as the Russian raced to an unassailable 5-0 lead in the second set.

Molik, whose power had proven decisive against Mauresmo, found herself at the receiving end of things as Sharapova broke her with an array of powerful groundstrokes in the second game and never looked back.

Sharapova, who had won the Pan Pacific Open in Japan earlier this month before missing the Paris Indoor Open, broke through in the fifth game of the third set and then held her serve to lead 4-2.

Molik then retained her serve to close the gap at 3-4 but Sharapova held on to her serve and then finished off the match with an ace after saving a break point in the 10th game.

Sharapova said the key to her victory was her positive approach after losing the first set.

"She (Alicia) was dictating terms to me in the first set but in my mind I was always positive," said Sharapova.

"In the first set I was not playing my own game, but in the second I decided to put some pace on the ball and put pressure on her serve and that worked."

Sharapova said she will head to Los Angeles to be with her mother and take some rest after her hectic recent schedule.

"I need some rest now and I am eager to see my mum and catch up with friends after all the travelling I've been doing."

Molik, who will be heading to Dubai next, said she was disappointed at having not won the title but generally pleased with the way her career was progressing.

"Overall it was not such a bad week but it's disappointing not to win here," said the Aussie.

"I was not there mentally after winning the first set and my shot selection was bad," confessed Molik, who also made the doubles final against Clara Black and Liezel Huber, partnering Francesca Schiavone.

"Maria is a quality player and when you are playing someone like her you always have to be at your best and can't allow your game to fluctuate because she keeps going for her shots all the time." - AFP

Ashie_87
Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:46 AM
note to the aussies: in the latest edition of Australian Tennis Magazine there's a huge interview with Alicia:)

Huntress555
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:54 AM
note to the aussies: in the latest edition of Australian Tennis Magazine there's a huge interview with Alicia:)

Thanks for that :D

thelma
Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:33 AM
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/11032922.htm

Posted on Wed, Mar. 02, 2005

Molik to play in Family Circle Cup

Associated Press

CHARLESTON, S.C. - Alicia Molik, ranked No. 8 in the world, will play in next month's Family Circle Cup, tournament organizers said Wednesday.

Molik won the bronze medal at last year's Olympics and made the quarterfinals of this year's Australian Open.

She joins four other top 10 players - No. 1 Lindsay Davenport, as well as Anastasia Myskina, Elena Dementieva and Venus Williams - at the tournament on Daniel Island.

"Alicia has had an incredible journey over the past year and has become one of the most talked about players on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour," said Frankie Whelan, the executive director of the tournament.

The tournament will be held April 9-17 at the Family Circle Tennis Center.

thelma
Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:36 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Tennis/Molik-crashes-out-of-Dubai-early/2005/03/02/1109700542882.html?oneclick=true

Molik crashes out of Dubai early :sad: :hug:
March 3, 2005

Australian Alicia Molik's march up the tennis world rankings has been stalled by an opening round loss to Slovak Daniela Hantuchova at the Dubai Open.

The world No.8 was unable to convert three set points in the opening set against Hantuchova before losing 7-6 6-2 to the former top ten player.

Hantuchova was more consistent off the ground than the error-prone South Australia and showed plenty of tenacity in coming back from a deficit of 2-5 in the first set.

"It was such a nice one to get through," said Hantuchova, whose career had seemed close to ruins after she had fallen out of the top 50 last year.

"It's going really well. I was especially pleased with the way I fought."

Meanwhile Indian teenager Sania Mirza produced a remarkable comeback from a deficit and injury to beat US Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova.

The 18-year-old Indian needed a ten-minute time out for repairs to an ankle injury after an early fall and was then 0-4 and 30-40 down before recovering to a startling straight sets victory over the Russian.

The 6-4 6-2 triumph, which was cheered by thousands of Indian expatriates who made it like a home match for Mirza, carried the teenager into the third round of the Dubai Open as a wild card.

It followed her achievement in January in reaching the third round of the Australian Open as a wild card.

What made it all the more extraordinary was that once Mirza started to move better and strike the ball more fluently, she frequently out-hit one of the heaviest hitters in the game, especially with her flat forehand drive.

There seemed no chance of anything like that happening when Mirza was within a point of a 0-5 deficit, and she admitted she had had no hopes of winning at that stage.

"My ankle was killing me," she said.

"It was the third time in three weeks (it happened) and I was crying because I was in so much pain. I was disturbed because always my ankles are getting injured.

"But I got it re-taped and took a pain-killer, and that started to work after about 15 minutes. I don't know quite how I did it because I couldn't move that well.

AFP

vivy09
Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:58 AM
i have noticed in the recent articles about alicia in dubai & doha, is that there are no quotes from her. they are australian newspapers reporting yet we dont even know what alicia thinks of her matches... :(

~Rachel~
Mar 5th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Have you Aussies got the magazine with the big Alicia interview in it yet? Would be very interested in what it says :p

Pingie
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Would be very nice if one of you could place the interview on this forum! ;)

CathyC!
Mar 8th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Would be very nice if one of you could place the interview on this forum! ;)

ditto! :D

AliciAmelie
Mar 8th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Pingie
Would be very nice if one of you could place the interview on this forum!

Yes, that's what I was about to say!

vivy09
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:15 AM
if you guys can hold on until friday (sydney, australia time) i will have it scanned and uploaded so you guys can read it.

Pingie
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:36 AM
if you guys can hold on until friday (sydney, australia time) i will have it scanned and uploaded so you guys can read it.Thank you! That would be great! :bowdown:

CathyC!
Mar 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Awesome :) thanks in advance! :hug:

~Rachel~
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:56 PM
That would be great, thanks :)

vivy09
Mar 9th, 2005, 06:32 AM
ok, since you have all been so well behaved, lol, i thought id scan & uplaod alicia's interview from 'australian tennis mag' a couple of days earlier. and because i wont have time on friday morning as i have an interview & i need to go to work lol.

so just click on the following links below to access 'the many sides of alicia molik': :)

http://au.geocities.com/vip83a/alicia_art1.jpg - front cover
http://au.geocities.com/vip83a/alicia_art2.jpg
http://au.geocities.com/vip83a/alicia_art3.jpg
http://au.geocities.com/vip83a/alicia_art4.jpg
http://au.geocities.com/vip83a/alicia_art5.jpg
http://au.geocities.com/vip83a/alicia_art6.jpg - sorry for the wonky scan for this page!

ENJOY!!!

ps. i still cant see mine & everyone elses avatar & smilies!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :(!!!!!!!

Pingie
Mar 9th, 2005, 10:45 AM
:bowdown: :hug:

foreva lindsay
Mar 9th, 2005, 04:42 PM
great thanks :yeah:

AliciAmelie
Mar 10th, 2005, 03:45 PM
oh that would be great! thank you vivy! :kiss:

broncosven
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Sweet

Cheers !!

miss_molik
Mar 11th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Thanx!

~Rachel~
Mar 17th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Molik, Martinez, Pierce Join Amelia Island Field

03/17/2005

Alicia Molik joins former tournament champions Conchita Martinez and Mary Pierce as the latest entrants into the2005 Bausch & Lomb Championships. Returning for the 26th year, the clay-court event will be held April 4–10th at Amelia Island Plantation in Amelia Island, Florida.

Patty Schnyder, Karolina Sprem and Jelena Jankovic have also committed to play in the $585,000 tournament.

"With the addition of these exciting players, the Bausch & Lomb Championships singles field has tremendous depth and will showcase a variety playing styles," tournament director John Arrix said. "In addition to many of the top names in women’s tennis, fans will have the chance to see some of the game’s up-and-coming players as well."

Molik started the season by claiming her fifth career championship in Sydney. Later that month, she advanced to the Australian Open quarterfinals where she stretched top-ranked Lindsay Davenport to a third-set tiebreak. ( :retard: ) In Doha, Molik defeated top-seeded Amelie Mauresmo in straight sets before falling to Wimbledon winner Maria Sharapova in the final.

Schnyder won her ninth Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles title at her first tournament of the 2005 season at Gold Coast. Schnyder also claimed quarterfinal finishes at Sydney, the Australian Open and Antwerp. Her recent gains attributed to her current ranking of No. 13 in the world.

The 18th-ranked Sprem was a semifinalist and quarterfinalist at three events in 2004. Earlier this year, she registered her best Australian Open performance by reaching the fourth round before losing to top-seeded Davenport.

Jankovic recently reached the 20th spot in the WTA Tour rankings. Unseeded at Dubai, Jankovic played in the biggest final of her career by forcing Davenport to three sets before losing the tough match. She holds one singles trophy and will be making her third Bausch & Lomb Championships appearance.

Former champions Martinez (1995) and Pierce (1998) have both made solid showings at Indian Wells this week. The 23rd-seeded Martinez lost to 2003 Indian Wells champion Kim Clijsters, 6-1, 3-6, 6-2. Pierce plays third-seeded Maria Sharapova in today's quarterfinal match.

The 2005 Bausch & Lomb Championships boasts a competitive field that already includes defending champion Davenport, along with Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Anastasia Myskina, Elena Dementieva and Nadia Petrova ( :eek: ). For daily ticket, box seat and package information, please call (800) 486-8366 or visit the tournament web site at Bausch & Lomb Championships.

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12604&bannerregion=

Good luck Alicia :) Will be interesting to see how she performs on clay. A very strong field though.

chain
Apr 7th, 2005, 08:07 AM
From April's issue of Australian Tennis Magazine:

Alicia Molik is slowly revealing the many interesting angles that compromise her personality. Following her insightful interview with US writer Paul Fein(printed in Australian Tennis Magazine last month), the Aussie talked further about her creative interests:

"I very much love writing poetry. I write about my experiences like the worst all-time cab ride home from Australia, the worst all-time plane flight and things which annoyed me during that time... I write about things I find humourous which, there are also plenty of. I enjoy it so much when my mates read my poems and, more often than not, get a good laugh out of them. I never know when inspiration is going to strike. Often it's on the plan home when the flight seems endless, Australia is nearing and my mind is running a million miles an hour about things I'm going to do and friends I'm going to see."