PDA

View Full Version : Asian Tennis Power Ranking

ex hopman
Feb 14th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Just a thought it'd be interesting to see different opinions?

What do you think we share thoughts of the ranking,
who's playing hot at this moment among these asian players!? who's at the top level?

it's not like agree or disagree here...
maybe top 10 or 5? asian ranking and brief reasons?
if u r in, let me hear ur power ranking! :wavey:

i.e...

as of Feb. 14

1. Shinobu Asagoe...she's just done her exhibition in Kobe..and now is getting ready for the Middle East tourneys. I think she's the hottest among the Asian players now.

2. Sania Mirza...Congrats for the first win! very impressive.

3. Na Li...

4. Shuai Peng...

5. Jie Zheng...losing to Mirza on 2R was a bad lack...

6. Aiko Nakamura...She was out of top 100 this week again... she needs to play more! Her next tournemant is Indian Wells...

7. Yuka Yoshida...She's passed 3 qualifyings this season already!

8. Saori Obata...

9. Tian Tian Sun...

10. Ai Sugiyama...Even though she has been losing 4 straight matches... her ranking is still no.1 in Asia... Hopefully her treatment in Italy now is going well and come back suprisingly well in Dubai.

Tammy!! You can do better!! Good luck!

blerr
Feb 15th, 2005, 03:04 AM
I'd definitely put Akiko in there over Saori...but other than that, I like your 10 ;)

the jamierbelyea
Feb 15th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Saori should not be anywhere near the top 10. She's only won one match since Wimbledon and that was against Miho Saeki, not that impressive.

Akiko, Tammy should definitley be higher than her

the jamierbelyea
Feb 15th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Ting Li and Nan Nan Liu's Aus Open performance would put them above Saori in my opinion.

ex hopman
Feb 15th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Saori should not be anywhere near the top 10. She's only won one match since Wimbledon and that was against Miho Saeki, not that impressive.

Akiko, Tammy should definitley be higher than her

well, i saw saori's play live in tokyo and her Merbourne play on TV. her aggressive play was impressive.

kfh_9118
Feb 15th, 2005, 06:21 AM
My Top 10 Asian active players list:

1. Ai Sugiyama: Definitely the most talented Asian out there by far. Even though she's a bit down at the moment, her achivement is by far the best among Asian players

2. Li Na: I am really impressed with her game and groundstrokes. I am sure she will be inside Top 20 by the end of 2005 (assuming she will be active playing tournaments).

3. Shinobu Asagoe: very talented and consistent player.

4. Angelique Widjaja: the most talented Indonesian player, I even think she will deliver more than Yayuk Basuki. She just recovered from her injury and hopefully she will find her top form again soon.

5. Peng Shuai: the most unpredictable Asian player out there. It's very hard to read her ball (maybe due to double handed both backhand and forehand), and she has power too :eek:

6. Tamarine Tanasugarn: the nicest player out there. Average player, but will be tough if she's finding her form.

7. Zheng Jie: a player with mental toughness and great attitude ;)

8. Akiko Morigami: even though I haven't seen her play, I am impressed with her achievement

9. Cho Yoon Jeong: too bad she's slumping now, but I like her game and she has talent

10. Wynne Prakusya: she plays smart tennis, but unfortunately lack of power. I hope she will be back playing soon, and lack of injury.

the jamierbelyea
Feb 16th, 2005, 04:40 AM
well, i saw saori's play live in tokyo and her Merbourne play on TV. her aggressive play was impressive.

I'm glad she's becoming agressive, there's nothing else I'd like more to see her back in good form, but from all the reports I've read about her game as of late she tends to get overpowered and that's why she lost all those matches in a row.

Her agressive play was impressive, fine, but with her record and rank (170s) put her as one of the top 10 asians currently, seems a bit off to me

ex hopman
Feb 16th, 2005, 04:53 AM
I'm glad she's becoming agressive, there's nothing else I'd like more to see her back in good form, but from all the reports I've read about her game as of late she tends to get overpowered and that's why she lost all those matches in a row.
Her agressive play was impressive, fine, but with her record and rank (170s) put her as one of the top 10 asians currently, seems a bit off to me

well, that was last year. I saw her playing in Tokyo and Bali. That was obviously out of top 10 among asians for sure. she had no confident and no nothing...she seemed just playing-in, and waiting for points to end.

but i was saying the power ranking for right now. It's a power ranking...so ranking doesn't matter.
her form at tokyo, even at OZ open a few weeks ago was absolutely much stronger than the last year. From what I saw at tokyo, i ranked her inside current top 10.

well, you don't need to agree at all, i am not asking for that.
i just wanted everyone to show us your power rankings...not agree or disagree to others. oh well...

that was just my ranking, anyway.

the jamierbelyea
Feb 16th, 2005, 07:58 AM
well, that was last year. I saw her playing in Tokyo and Bali. That was obviously out of top 10 among asians for sure. she had no confident and no nothing...she seemed just playing-in, and waiting for points to end.

but i was saying the power ranking for right now. It's a power ranking...so ranking doesn't matter.
her form at tokyo, even at OZ open a few weeks ago was absolutely much stronger than the last year. From what I saw at tokyo, i ranked her inside current top 10.

well, you don't need to agree at all, i am not asking for that.
i just wanted everyone to show us your power rankings...not agree or disagree to others. oh well...

that was just my ranking, anyway.

I was just terrible confused at all, because if you look at any of the players results or form that I mentioned (tanasugarn, liu, yoshida, li, sun) they all seem to be playing much much better, results speak for themselves. I just wanted to see past the bias into facts on how Saori was ranked so high on your list.

Veritas
Feb 16th, 2005, 10:04 AM
1. Shinobu.
2. Ai.
3. Akiko.
4. Saori.
5. Aiko.
6. Sania.
7. Tamarine.
8. Angelique.
9. Li.
10. Zheng.

ex hopman
Feb 16th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I was just terrible confused at all, because if you look at any of the players results or form that I mentioned (tanasugarn, liu, yoshida, li, sun) they all seem to be playing much much better, results speak for themselves. I just wanted to see past the bias into facts on how Saori was ranked so high on your list.

yeah, that's your ranking. that's cool! :)

Grachka
Feb 18th, 2005, 09:11 AM
1. Sania Mirza
2. Shinobu Asagoe
3. Shuai Peng
4. Akiko Morigami
5. Na Li
6. Aiko Nakamura
7. Ai Sugiyama
8. Ting Li
9. Nan-Nan Liu
10. Yuka Yoshida

11. Saori Obata ;)

Ellery
Apr 1st, 2005, 01:44 PM
My ranking:

1. Ai Sugiyama (she is in a rather crappy shape currently, but I still think she's the best!)
2. Li Na (very consistent player)
3. Shinobu Asagoe (great player, although had some tough draws recently)
4. Peng Shuai (hasn't player in any tournament recently due to injuries and the National Games, but she sure is talented)
5. Sania Mirza (wildly talented, but still young and inexperienced)
6. Zheng Jie (great mental toughness)
7. Akiko Morigami
8. Yoon Jeong Cho
9. Rika Fujiwara
10. Tamarine Tanasugarn (has played badly recently, but she still is cool!)