PDA

View Full Version : Your Wimbledon Wildcard Predictions?

Grachka
Feb 14th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I know its early to be talking about Wimbledon wildcards, but i'm bored :p Having seen most of the girls in action for a month or so, who do people think will be in a position to get a wildcard for Wimbledon this year, barring injury? Jane and Anne should in theory have to pre-qualify because they have received three already (under the new rules they shouldn't receive another automatic) but Anne has been injured for ages so should get another one.

My thoughts:

With so few points to defend, barring a huge mental collapse and slump, Elena should be able to qualify for the maindraw automatically (:))

1. Anne Keothavong - Although she has had her three wildcards, a huge injury has sidelined her for the last 6 months, so its only fair she gets another one, and gets one under the new rules. Hopefully she will be back and up to speed by then.

2. Amanda Janes - She and Elena have by far the best game for grass, and last year was her first Wimbledon ever. Although she hasn't shown her best form so far this year, her grass form is always good. A shoe-in for a second chance in the maindraw.

3. Katie O'Brien - Katie is currently the best performing and consistent rankings-climber, especially from the new batch of former juniors, so if she carries on like she has, its only right and proper that she gets another wildcard. She reached the final of the pre-qualies last year so pretty much earned it the hard way last year.

4. Sarah Borwell - I'm pretty sure that Sarah will get one automatically this year, she certainly deserves to. Her early season form has been very good indeed, and providing she keeps to that level, it would be an exceptionally poor decision not to reward that.

5. Emily Webley-Smith - Although Emily's form has been woeful for ages, i reckon she will still sneak a wildcard, if only out of sympathy (she needs help to defend all those points :scared: )

6. Karen Paterson - Another recipient for a wildcard providing she keeps her level up. A very decent start to the season so far for Karen, beating players ranked well above her. If all is right with the world should get one.

7. Hannah Collin - This is just a feeling i have in my waters that Hannah will come through the pre-qualies ;).

8. Foreigner - The obligatory foreigner ;) Perhaps a returning Monica Seles, a shock return from Martina Hingis or yet another comeback from Martina Navratilova? Perhaps even a compassionate wildcard for grass courters Els Callens or Barbara Schwartz?

Therefore Qualies should look like this:

1. Jane O'Donoghue (may struggle in the wildcard draw IMO)
2. Melanie South (same as Jane)
3. Claire Peterzan (rising and deserving junior)
4. Hannah Grady (same as Claire)
5. Rebecca Llewellyn (decent form recently from Becky, but another who may struggle against fellow Brits)
6. Samantha Murray (I just like her ;) and reckon she'll be in a position to win far enough in the wildcard draw)
7. Foreigner/Lara Fakhoury/Chantal Coombs - probably a returning foreigner (Dragomir-Ilie, Testud, Schwartz or Callens [who is retiring]) but if not Fakhoury as top junior or a returning Chantal should receive one.
8. Katerina Bondarenko (winner of last year's Junior Wimbledon if she's still ranked outside)

There you go :p

Monica_Rules
Feb 15th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Elena shoould get in by her won ranking.

I thinmk bout 6 WC's will go to brits my picks

Anne K- Been injured would be top 150 at least now if it wasn't for her injury.

Amanda- only her second time. I think before grass she'll finally be top 200

Katie O'Brien- Before wimbledon she'll be easily inside the top 300 and close to top 250 i think.Totally deserves it.

Sarah B- If she can keep up this early from over the next few months she'll also be top 300 and totally deserve the WC

there may be 1 more WC outright that'll be between Jane,Emily and Karen prob.

1 will be the play offs possibly 2 like this year will be between Jane,Emily,Karen and Mel. If Mel can pull hersefl together by then i think she'll win it.

By this time Jane could be back to her best and be top 200 who knows.

The remaining 2 will be in quallies along with

Claire P
Hannnah G
Becky Ll
Hannah C(if shes playing by then)

might be a shock WC to someone like Lara.I think the LTA want the younger girls to have chances now wich is a good thing like what happened last year.

Pdm1987
Feb 17th, 2005, 09:41 AM
My Choices for Wimbledon Wildcards - (Elena gets in automatically on her own ranking)

1 - Anne Keothavong - If she hadn't been injured she'd be closing in on the Top 100 by now, so she is my first pick

2 - Amanda Janes - Excels a grass, would do well with a half decent draw.

3 - Katie O'Brien - Started the season really brightly, and hopefully this will continue and she gets a wildcard

4 - Sarah Borwell - Same reason as Katie O'Brien ;)

5 - Karen Paterson - See above 2 (only not quite as good, yet)

6 - Play Off winner: Jane O'Donoghue

7 - Play Off Runner Up: Claire Peterzan

8 - Foreigner

Qualies:
1 - Emily Webley-Smith
2 - Claire Peterzan
3 - Melanie South
4 - Rebecca Llewellyn
5 - Hannah Grady
6 - Hannah Collin
7 - Chantal Coombs
8 - Katarina Bondarenko (if not, Lara Fakhoury or Georgia Rose if she's still a Brit)

Pdm1987
Apr 6th, 2005, 11:18 AM
bump :) I've changed my mind on the qualies wc's

Insert Rebecca Dandeniya for Hannah Grady or Chantal

paul_masterton
Apr 6th, 2005, 02:02 PM
the new system comes in this year doesn't it?

anne, elena and jane have all had 3 wild cards.

elena may get in on her own provided she can start winning matches again

anne would come under the injury exemption

if jane gets one and doesn't improve her form then there is no justice. jsut cos she won a round last year makes it unfair on girls who've actually improved over 12 months.

i'd go for: (bally gets in herself)

Anne
Amanda
Sarah
Katie
Karen
play-off winner: Emily
runner-up: Melanie
foreigner

with qualies to:

Jane (hopefully on her own rank)
Emily
Hannah
Chantal
Becky L
Becky D
Claire P
Hannah G

Pdm1987
Apr 6th, 2005, 02:10 PM
this is sarah said to me, when I told her she should get a wimbledon wildcard, "it'll be tough cos Jane O will be in the play offs" I hope that doesn't mean Sarah is going to have to come through the play offs, and I'm sure jane must have been near the PC when she typed that because there is no way that she would lose to jane, especially at the moment ;) :p

Monica_Rules
Apr 7th, 2005, 12:26 AM
So how come all of a sudden your best pals with Sarah:p

Pdm1987
Apr 7th, 2005, 07:10 AM
So how come all of a sudden your best pals with Sarah:p

i'm not, she's just been online a lot these last few days in lovely mexico ;)

paul_masterton
Apr 10th, 2005, 08:51 PM
he met her at birmingham the year she lost to sharapova right? i remember you saying she was lovely ;)

and i think after beating anen today, mel is almost a certainty to get one, if she can keep going and get top 350

Szymanowski
Apr 21st, 2005, 03:03 PM
Elena hasn't done all that great since Aus. Are people still predicting she won't need a wildcard?

WIMBY
May 20th, 2006, 10:57 PM
This was the criteria for 2005
According to a letter from David Felgate (LTA Performance Director) published in British Tennis (Jan/Feb 2005)

1) Ranking inside 150
2) Ranking inside 275 if previously less than 3 WCs.

In addition there are 2 criteria, where exact standards are not specified:
1) Returning from serious injury
2) Being under the age of 20

Plus of course 1 more WC from the LTA AELTC Wildcard Play-offs
(For 2006 this is June 12th-18th).

Monica_Rules
May 20th, 2006, 11:25 PM
So that would mean atm

Anne and Katie are the only WC's. I'm sure Bally will get one.

If Mel,Sarah or Becky can get top 275 before wimbledon they should get one.

Personally i would give MD WC's straight away to

Anne
Bally
Katie
Mel
Becky

and send everyone else to the play-offs. I'd expect Amanda and possibly Sarah to come through that.

Quallies WC's i would give to

either Sarah or Amanda if they don't come through the play-offs
Sarah Coles
Naomi Cavaday
Karen Paterson( not sure though)
Danielle Brown?

I don't think Claire and Karen ATM deserve WC's. I'd like to see the LTA take a chance like they did with Jade.

So maybe Anna Smith, Linsey Cox, Natacha Kahn or Georgie Stoop should get one.

South Yorks Fan
May 26th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Sarah reaching the Semi at Nagano $25k today should put her back into the top 275.

paul_masterton
May 26th, 2006, 02:01 PM
karen has missed several weeks with injury. she woulda won her match in jersey if she hadn't had to retire. she's still a strong contender, but needs to get her head in gear

CrybabyRussiafan
Jun 7th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Bally is having an operation or something which I assume will put her out of action for the grasscourt season? Correct me if I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see her being able to play.

CrybabyRussiafan
Jun 7th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Current British Rankings:

144 Anne Keothavong
210 Elena Baltacha
237 Katie O'Brien
294 Sarah Borwell
295 Jane O'Donoghue
312 Melanie South
316 Rebecca Llewellyn
385 Amanda Keen (Janes)
419 Karen Paterson
451 Claire Peterzan
455 Emily Webley-Smith
473 Sarah Coles
527 Danielle Brown
561 Rebecca Fong
565 Naomi Cavaday
848 Jade Curtis

With Bally and Wibbly Wobbly injured I don't think they can be included. Anne and Katie are both dead certs with their rankings... Sarah is close. Looking at the Surbiton WCs (Jane, Becky, Mel and Sarah) might give some clues as to who they are rewarding. I don't see Jane getting one to be honest as she has been awful lately. Same goes to Claire Peterzan really.

CrybabyRussiafan
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:52 PM
So not including Molik.... they went to:

Anne Keothavong
Katie O'Brien
Sarah Borwell
Melanie South

Good choices all round. Anne reached Surbiton SF, Sarah got to Edgbaston 2nd round and Katie and Mel have really improved these last few months.

I wonder who'll win the play off....

WIMBY
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:14 PM
So not including Molik.... they went to:

Anne Keothavong
Katie O'Brien
Sarah Borwell
Melanie South

I wonder who'll win the play off....

145 (144) KEOTHAVONG, ANNE GBR
227 (210) BALTACHA, ELENA GBR (out injured ) :sad:
232 (237) O'BRIEN, KATIE GBR
257 (294) BORWELL, SARAH GBR
297 (312) SOUTH, MELANIE GBR (career high )

Jane to win the play off as she did last year :)

Monica_Rules
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I think the winner of the play off will be Amanda Janes or Naomi Cavaday. It depends who wins their match today.

Based on the play-offs qualy WC's will go to

Jane, Becky LL, Sarah Coles, Georgie Stoop, Karen Paterson and prob Naomi Cavaday.

WIMBY
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Women's Singles Quarter Finals:

(1) Jane O'Donoghue (Lancashire) bt (6) Sarah Coles (u/a) 6-3 7-6 (8-6)

(3) Karen Paterson (Sco) bt Deborah Armstrong (Northumberland) 7-6 (7-2) 6-3

(8) Naomi Cavaday (Kent) bt (4) Amanda Keen (Essex) 6-2 5-7 7-6 (7-4)

Georgie Stoop (Cambridgeshire) bt Claire Ricketts (Hertforshire) 6-3 6-3