PDA

View Full Version : Good Article re: Israeli Tennis

JPhurst
Feb 14th, 2005, 03:38 AM
This article is from one of the Indian papers regarding the Israeli tennis program. Very complimentary article, and they had an intelligent and articulate spokesperson in Tzipora Obziler.

http://inhome.rediff.com/sports/2005/feb/12israel.htm

Meteor Shower
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Great Article :) thanks
But why are they keep saying tzipi is 21 years old? Well.. I'm sure she doesn't have any problem with that ;)

Shonami Slam
Feb 14th, 2005, 12:32 PM
yeah - nice article!
there was an article in "ha'aretz" (the left-wing newspaper in Israel, very much associated with the higher class, thus very much full of bla-bla bullshit, but the only one where tennis get's whole papers!) that said that israeli women are to be granted 80 million shekels (arround 18 million $) for the next 8 years, of that some to elite players.
i think this could give tennis a big boost, as it is one of the strongest we have for our women after Judo, Swimming and sailing. maybe even better then some, but i might have forgotten somethin else.
anyway - this is really good news! i hope tzipi will recieve a nice grant and play for at least one more year. same goes for smashnova, though she can do fine with her prize money too, usually.
plus - if younger girls will reicieve enough funding to go and compete in near-by countries, it might be really great!

things are looking bright this year!

Oleh
Feb 15th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Ha'aretz Bullshit!!!>>> :eek: (Its kinda funny I actually like it..well its reporting anyway..as im..well more right inclined but compared to some folk I know Im John Lennon...) But Jpost is my choice for articles etc...yet there sports section is silly.

Tennis I think is definately the best sport for israel to do well in and be most recognised in...all due respect to our windsufers but its not exactly going to put Israel on the sporting map. Mo Money Mo Money Mo Money is all thats needed, the talents there we just need to start nurturing it from young age and encourage it more methinks.

PointBlank
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I wish they said something about Nadine..theres more to Israel than Jewish players :p..but it was a good article..I have one of those tennis centers in Arad..its really getting nasty though..it could use some work :p

Meteor Shower
Feb 21st, 2005, 08:48 PM
Wow.. I really like all the media attention getting into tennis players in the last months, so many interviews :D

Tzipi :) Such a nice person :worship:
Anna :D loved the interviews, well dealt with the idiotic questions!
Shahar :bounce: good luck in your bagruts, and I actually think "Hibur" is the most difficult bagrut :o

Really great that israeli players get all the attention, I'm sure its getting more youngsters to know about tennis and\or to practice seriously and maybe cause more israeli tennis players in the next decade :bounce: (קצת נסחפתי אבל חפיף)

If anyone could find me a Hebrew-English auto translator then give the link here and I'll translate some and post it here.

Meteor Shower
Feb 21st, 2005, 09:58 PM
Found one :)
But Its translations sucked :( because of all of the players name ( שדדי יעקב turned out to be something with breasts :lol: :lol: :o And Shahar Peer turned out to be glory daylight :lol: :o ) so I tried to fixed as it fast as I could, I hope at least some parts are understandable :mad:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/slesh1/Anna.html - Anna's interview

Enjoy
(c) to Maariv :)

Shonami Slam
Feb 22nd, 2005, 03:42 PM
WOW what an awful translation! goblet :lol:
thanks for the link though...