PDA

View Full Version : Who should get the FO WC

petey_pan
Feb 9th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I know its heaps early but who do you guys and gals think should get the FO wildcard, I'd really like Jaslyn to get it but i think she'll still be injured. Im taking with Evie's recent form she'll get direct entry and Christina has had 3 in a row, Dellacqua doesnt like clay, Ferguson maybe? I actually think she'd be an ok clay courter she's heaps patient. Hopefully Jaslyn or Sophie - anyway give me ya suggestions - actually im starting to think Nicole wont be ranked high enough to get in - i guess she'd be the best chance to win a match :rolleyes:

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 9th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Sophie because she's gonna be a good player and needs more experience on all surfaces hehe.

Gowza
Feb 9th, 2005, 12:46 PM
yeah sophie i think is probably the front runner.

broncosven
Feb 9th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I would say Jaslyn

based only on the fact she won the ACT challenger and they should take that into consideration . . . .

Mr_Molik
Feb 9th, 2005, 09:57 PM
i agree sophie
and for the mens pete luczak no question (unless he gets DE)

ozfan44
Feb 10th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Ladies:

Jaslyn Hewitt or Sophie Ferguson or Casey Dellacqua

Mens:

Peter Luczak or Nathan Healey or Paul Baccanello

AUSBOY
Feb 10th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Sophie has it in the bag unless Casey, Cindy, or Tiffany can jump ahead of her in the ranks!

The WC usually goes to the highest ranked Aussie not in the main draw!

nitocris_tiger
Feb 10th, 2005, 02:13 AM
And Jaslyn's injury wouldn't have done her chances any good either, but of course there's still a few months to go yet.

azza
Feb 10th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Womens Jaslyn or Sophie

Mens Peter Luczak noone else deserves it not even Todd or Mark Peter knows how to play on Clay

SM
Feb 10th, 2005, 04:07 AM
jaslyn? well after their respective performances at the aus open it would be crazy to give it to jaslyn

sophie showed she can play when the pressure is on at sydney and melbourne....something jaslyn hasnt really proven at the wta level\

jaslyn is improving but sophie is definately a shoe in :)

TS
Feb 10th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Er, it's a bit early to speculate. Probably Sophie, even though her form on clay would be quite suspect, one would think.

Jaslyn Hewitt?!? I don't think so.

As the thread starter mentioned, don't be surprised to see Nicole Pratt requiring a WC to play the main draw :o

ozfan44
Feb 10th, 2005, 04:45 AM
pratt :rolleyes: what a waste!

Huntress555
Feb 10th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Sophie Ferguson, I reckon, shes had some really good matchs, the more experience she has the better she will get. She has heaps and heaps of potentional :)

broncosven
Feb 10th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Sophie and Jaslyn would both be the same in the MD. it would be a god experience for the both of them. Jaslyn is injured so that might effect her chances but i'd say make them play each other with possibly Casey and Cindy or Christina in a round robin tournament and the winner gets the MD WC

lets all hope that Evie and Nicole are both DE

petey_pan
Feb 10th, 2005, 09:32 AM
HOPEFULLY.... Pratt wont need one as it definetly would be a waste... lets face it she's not gonna get any better I think she's over the hill. Would love to see Sophie get it and if Jaslyn's fit i think she has the sort of game that could hurt a fair few girls on the clay.

TS
Feb 11th, 2005, 01:38 AM
lol @ thinking that giving Nicole a WC is a waste compared to players not even ranked in the top 200 :lol: Not that I think Nicole will need one, but come on...she'd have a much better chance of winning a round than the other kids.

ozfan44
Feb 11th, 2005, 02:15 AM
Im sorry but i disagree TS - Jaslyn's game i suited to clay as she has more time to swing on her groundies and as she showed in canberra challenger is very good on it and i think if she could avoid a seeded player in the opening round could quite easily win a match or 2

Nicole has never really done anything on clay

Mr_Molik
Feb 11th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Mens Peter Luczak noone else deserves it not even Todd or Mark Peter knows how to play on Clay
:worship:
the way petes been playing lately id like to see him play lleyton on clay :drool:

AUSBOY
Feb 11th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Clay has always been Jaslyns best surface. She can literally run everything down, she's bloody fast, she's like her brother in that she can also mix up the play very well, she has the ability to hit high loopy deep top spin forehands which can cause players trouble!!

Her problem, like Pratt and just about all the other Aussie girls is holding serve on clay! Up against a big hitter they struggle on clay as they have their second serve blasted back, but put her up against a player like Farina-Elia who doesnt blast and she'll be very competitive.

louloubelle
Feb 11th, 2005, 03:42 AM
There's no way Jaslyn should get this w/c (even if she recovers from her broken wrist in time). The reality is, she isn't WTA tour standard and a top 200 ranking is pushing it. Therefore why waste it on her.

Sophie for mine, even if she hasn't the clay expertise, she needs to exposure.

Dellacqua needs to push forward on her own and score some wins beforehand to be considered.

Hopefully Nic squeezes through and gets in direct. Tho I wouldn't give her a freebie over Sophie. Actually her form in the US Clay season is usually OK - and not many can say they've got a set off Henin on clay!

SM
Feb 11th, 2005, 10:41 AM
jaslyn is being a little overrated but yes i think clay is a better surface for her.

as for sophie she seems to have handled rebound ace and the higher bounce quite well. on clay she will have more time to set up her loopy swings and should do ok

ozfan44
Feb 11th, 2005, 01:46 PM
theres a bit of a difference between us and european clay, us is played on green clay which is a lot faster than the slow, boggy red euro clay that they play on in france

azza
Feb 13th, 2005, 02:32 AM
just get Pete to to wear a dress :o

louloubelle
Mar 28th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Question for our points/ranking gurus.

Id expect Nicole to make main draw?
Will Evie be able to make the maindraw - keeping in mind the cutoff date??

Sophie's down to play a few Mexican clay satelittes - maybe she's in preparation mode for FO??

ozfan44
Mar 29th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Evie should make maindraw hopefully there will be a few withdrawals

You never know if Luczak can qualify for a few upcoming atp events and win a few md matches at each it is possible for him to get within top 110 and have a chance at getting in direct.

At this stage mine would go to:
Ferguson & Luczak

Casey Dellacqua will not be playing at the French Open!

Hopefully the coming weeks will reveal their clay form!

AUSBOY
Mar 29th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Sophie has it in the bag providing Evie and Nicole scrape into the draw!

The only other contenders are Watson, Hewitt and Wheeler, who are all playing claycourt challengers now. In the end though it comes down to ranking and Sophie will get in on that!

Shame though as she would probably get into qualifying directly, I would rather one of the other 3 got it on that basis! It would mean another Aussie competing there

azza
Mar 29th, 2005, 07:30 AM
NO YOU ARE ALL LIARS KRIZ HAS IT IN THE BAG :p

broncosven
Mar 29th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Jaslyn or Sophie

Why aint Casey playing . . . not gonna waste time travelling over there ??

Mr_Molik
Mar 29th, 2005, 08:39 AM
still think sophie
she just took a set off former rg semifinalist clarisa fernandez on clay which isnt a bad effort!

TS
Mar 29th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Jaslyn or Sophie

Jaslyn Hewitt :rolleyes: Oh please.

Sophie Ferguson has it in the bag.

louloubelle
Mar 29th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Say if Evie doesn't make the main draw - who would they choose then?? Sophie or Evie?? I reckon it would depend on Evie's Fed Cup performance if she gets a run.

azza
Mar 29th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Do a FO WC Play off :boxing:

broncosven
Mar 29th, 2005, 10:41 PM
That would be the fairest way

nitocris_tiger
Mar 30th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Say if Evie doesn't make the main draw - who would they choose then?? Sophie or Evie?? I reckon it would depend on Evie's Fed Cup performance if she gets a run.
It would have to go to Evie... she is ranked 124 places above Sophie and clay is arguably Evie's best surface. Sophie's time will come.

azza
Apr 5th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Nicole hasnt started to well losing to Chladkova 1-6 6-7(7)

she made a mini Come back down 3-6 in the Tb got it to 6-6 then lost 7-9 love to see how evie does on the clay

ozfan44
Apr 5th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Jaslyn or Sophie

Casey doesn't like the clay at the best of times and she is now training for the japan 50k's and targeting for wimbledon and is trying to build her confidence and ranking back up and fo this year does not fit in with the schedule she and her coach have developed.

Pratty is safe! Evie will be about 3rd or 4th alternate for main draw at this stage, so should get in with some withdrawals!

I'd give it Sophie or Cindy! Depends who does better over the coming weeks!

AUSBOY
Apr 5th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Its not a contest!!! Providing Pratt and Evie both get direct entry, Sophie will get it! If Evie or Pratt miss the cut, possible but not likely, then they would receive it first.

Even if Watson or Welford were to win a $25K they still wouldnt stop Sophie from getting it. The only reason Sophie wouldnt get it would be if she got injured! Then scarily enough it would probably go to Welford unless Casey has a change of heart

AUSBOY
Apr 6th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Ok, cut off for French Open is after this weeks points get added!

So Pratt is definitely in directly!

Evie though sitting at 111 is going to be anywhere from
2-10 places out of the draw depending on whether certain players use their injury rankings or not!

broncosven
Apr 6th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Thats good

hopefully she can be within about 4 or 5 . . . . . get in if some players get injured

(god dam why didnt she play more in the past month !!! )

gillibean
Apr 6th, 2005, 12:11 PM
so when do they announce it exactly?

broncosven
Apr 6th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Usually a week or so before the French Open

Especially if someone like Evie is on the cusp and might get in but needs a few players to pull out.

SeanyQ
Apr 7th, 2005, 04:00 AM
I wouldn't even compare Jaslyn & Nicole Pratt's abilities. The only hope Jaslyn would have against Nicole would be if Nicole was playing with a broken arm - even then I wouldn't bet on Jaslyn!! Jaslyn is not a top 300 player & never will be! Nic will get in the MD anyway. If she didn't I'd say she'd deserve the WC. How many has she needed from TA in the last several years - fairs fair! Provided she stays injuryless for the rest of the year. She'll finish the year top 60 for sure!! Welford & Watson aren't playing well enough. The only two I can see getting the WC are Ferguson or Shayna McDowell.

Mattographer
Apr 7th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Rachel McQuillan :) Nah, I know she won't play tennis again but I hope Evie got one! :)

ozfan44
Apr 7th, 2005, 05:54 AM
The only two I can see getting the WC are Ferguson or Shayna McDowell.

Shayna :haha: :tape: :lol:

azza
Apr 7th, 2005, 06:40 AM
R1

Serena Williams Def Shayna Macdowell 6-0 21-0

The tournie director thought Shayna could get atleast 1 game so they played to 21 games

Serena still one in under 30 mins.

gillibean
Apr 7th, 2005, 07:01 AM
lol

ozfan44
Apr 7th, 2005, 07:25 AM
No offence coz shayna is pretty good but she is not worthy of the sole fo md wc imo just yet! let's see how she does in french open juniors first!

definately sophie is the front runner!

AUSBOY
Apr 7th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Jaslyn is not a top 300 player & never will be!

LOL, she is sitting in the top 310 with only 4 points to defend until mid August so she will crack the top 300 unless she remains injured!!!

You're not the only one though who has made statements like this. Last year there were plenty of Jaslyn mockers that thought Jaslyn wouldnt even get back into the top 400 again!

To her credit she's continued to work hard to overcome her injuries and has improved her game enormously in my opinion over the last two years and deserves her ranking.

ozfan44
Apr 7th, 2005, 08:24 AM
LOL, she is sitting in the top 310 with only 4 points to defend until mid August so she will crack the top 300 unless she remains injured!!!

To her credit she's continued to work hard to overcome her injuries and has improved her game enormously in my opinion over the last two years and deserves her ranking.

The way she played in January she deserves a top 200 ranking if she could play like that consistently! IMO

broncosven
Apr 7th, 2005, 09:08 AM
She definately can play well

however she really can play bad too . . . . . .

petey_pan
Apr 7th, 2005, 10:38 AM
She did win a 25k challenger beating Evie........... took a 6-1 set off Koukalova a top 40 player...... and won a round in Oz Open qualies...... I think she's definetly at least top 300 material, but yes she can also throw in quite a few shockers

louloubelle
Apr 10th, 2005, 11:27 AM
She'll never get these results consistently or outside of her home country.

She's average, she'll break the 300 mark and maybe at best push towards 200 but will never be WTA Tour standard.

Therefore she shouldn't be considered for a FO w/c. Sophie, but after that ??? (provided Evie & Nicole are in). McDowell would be my bet say if Sophie gets injured because I throw Watson and Welford in the same category as Jaslyn.

azza
Apr 10th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Whos After Alicia Evie Sam and Nicole to really be up there in top 150 :sad: most our girs just stay in the 300 400's :sad:

gillibean
Apr 10th, 2005, 01:34 PM
faith guys - sophie will make it, i think our girls just take time - like look at alicia - only peaking at like 23, so they've got a while!

petey_pan
Apr 10th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Shayna's future looks pretty good at 15/16 and making the final of a 50K Challenger (a weak one I know but still) I wonder whats gonna happen to Jade Hopper???

AUSBOY
Apr 10th, 2005, 02:43 PM
She'll never get these results consistently or outside of her home country.

She's average, she'll break the 300 mark and maybe at best push towards 200 but will never be WTA Tour standard.

Therefore she shouldn't be considered for a FO w/c. Sophie, but after that ??? (provided Evie & Nicole are in). McDowell would be my bet say if Sophie gets injured because I throw Watson and Welford in the same category as Jaslyn.

louloubelle, Jaslyn has already qualified for WTA events before! She has also had some good results outside Australia in WTA events and in her last two tournaments abroad last year was a S/F and Final result losing to Mirza in 3 sets! Her progress from juniors has been hampered by knee and stomach muscle injuries that have plagued her, she is still yet to play 12 months without an injury since moving to seniors, give the girl a break!

As for lumping her with Watson and Welford, I think she is better than Welford, Watson has a better first serve but Hewitt has more game

SeanyQ
Apr 12th, 2005, 04:58 AM
louloubelle, Jaslyn has already qualified for WTA events before! She has also had some good results outside Australia in WTA events and in her last two tournaments abroad last year was a S/F and Final result losing to Mirza in 3 sets! Her progress from juniors has been hampered by knee and stomach muscle injuries that have plagued her, she is still yet to play 12 months without an injury since moving to seniors, give the girl a break!

As for lumping her with Watson and Welford, I think she is better than Welford, Watson has a better first serve but Hewitt has more game

What maindraw WTA event has Jaslyn ever qualified for? Please name 1!

AUSBOY
Apr 12th, 2005, 05:31 AM
What maindraw WTA event has Jaslyn ever qualified for? Please name 1!

Easy!

Knokke-Heist (http://angelfire.com/space/wta/tur2001/knok330.htm)

July 22 2001

Qual 1 - J Hewitt-WC - A Bachmann (http://home17.inet.tele.dk/wta/sp/bach920.htm)(2) 6-0 6-1
Qual 2 - J Hewitt-WC - M Buric (http://photo910.tripod.com/cgi-bin/wta.pl?p1=845) 7-5 6-2
Qual 3 - J Hewitt-WC - E Kozhokina (http://home17.inet.tele.dk/wta/sp/kozh1485.htm) 6-1 6-2

Main Draw

S Farina Elia (http://home17.inet.tele.dk/wta/sp/fari47.htm)(2) - J Hewitt-Q 6-4 6-2

ozfan44
Apr 12th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Didn't she also qualify once in Bol!

AUSBOY
Apr 12th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Yes she did play in the main draw of Bol

Bol (http://angelfire.com/space/wta/tur2001/bol315.htm) - May 6 2001

1st Round

M Martinez (http://photo910.tripod.com/cgi-bin/wta.pl?p1=1396) - J Hewitt7-5 7-5

azza
Apr 12th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Shayna's future looks pretty good at 15/16 and making the final of a 50K Challenger (a weak one I know but still) I wonder whats gonna happen to Jade Hopper???

but then losing to Randoms 2 seed from Denmark and other bad bad losse sin juniors after that maybe that 50K was justa fluke hope it wasnt

ozfan44
Apr 12th, 2005, 08:40 AM
get over the loss to wozniacki for shit sake azza!
fair enough she had a bit of a slump in first few events but then went back to a grade 4 event in taipei thrashed everyone there losing like 5 games for the whole tournament and then did ok against the number 2 seed and a top 10 junior!

louloubelle
Apr 12th, 2005, 10:56 AM

Lets not delude outselves here!! These events are from 2001 when it was at a time when I did consider her remotely promising. Especially seeing her live against Rachel McQuillan at Bendigo I thought she had something. Not now!! And yes, she maybe better now, but probably so is the tour as well.

My point was that could she play WTA tour at a consistent basis?? - lets say equivalent to an Evie who can hold her own at that level. I know you have seen her recently (as i have) but honestly can you say that she has the game to play this level consistently??

As for injuries, yes they hamper her, but for someone that is injured at a consistent basis, what work is she doing offcourt to prevent it. You have to wonder?? (And yes I have heard the story of her psycho parents making her run kilometres!!)

ozfan44
Apr 13th, 2005, 02:14 AM
SOPHIE FERGUSON HAS BEEN GIVEN THE FRENCH OPEN WILDCARD

I JUST RANG HEAD OF WOMENS TENNIS DR YOUNG AT TA AND SHE HAS CONFIRMED THE SELECTORS HAVE CHOSEN SOPHIE :woohoo: :banana: :rocker:

gillibean
Apr 13th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Sweeeeeeeeet!

nitocris_tiger
Apr 13th, 2005, 04:02 AM
Wow, I can't believe it was named so early. Why can't they decide on the Aus Open WCs this quick! But it was a pretty obvious choice.
I guess we can safely assume that Evie's ranking will be good enough for the MD now.

Wow, 5 players in the French Open MD... awesome!

Alicia Rocks
Apr 13th, 2005, 04:21 AM
u deserved it sophie

broncosven
Apr 13th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Nice Choice . . Good Luck !!

SeanyQ
Apr 13th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I'm glad Sophie's been chosen she deserves it :bounce:
Wasn't the Bol match Jaslyn played years back on a WC??

louloubelle
Apr 13th, 2005, 10:52 PM
I'm glad Sophie's been chosen she deserves it :bounce:
Wasn't the Bol match Jaslyn played years back on a WC??

Yeah I think so. Im not sure if it was this tournie or another but apparently Kim Clijsters was playing and 'arranged' it for her.

Mr_Molik
Apr 14th, 2005, 04:40 AM
yay sophie
hoping for a good draw (llagostera vives :drool: :devil: )

TS
Apr 14th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Congratulations Sophie :) No one else deserved it

azza
May 4th, 2005, 03:15 AM
For the mens we have

Luczak,Philippoussis,Reid and Guccione in the Quallies

Wonder who will get the WC :tape: :rolleyes: :mad:

AUSBOY
May 4th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Scud already has it!!

gillibean
May 4th, 2005, 04:07 AM
thought so! how do u know?

broncosven
May 4th, 2005, 04:11 AM
That Sux !!

What About Scotty Draper ??

azza
May 4th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Scotts in the MD :D

broncosven
May 4th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Sweet !!

ozfan44
May 4th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Scud already has it!!

who told you this coz as far as i know luczak has it!

broncosven
May 4th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Pete deserves it way more !!

azza
May 4th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Mark should get a wc for being mark! wimbledon Finalist Us open finalist and pete should get it coz hes aussie

gillibean
May 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM
yeah mark though on clay?

AUSBOY
May 4th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Apparently Scud was promised it back in January if he needed it!

However he mightnt be healthy to play,perhaps he has already ruled himself out, in which case Luczak would get it

azza
May 4th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Mark withdrew from a Challenher next week so yeah

SeanyQ
May 5th, 2005, 02:19 AM
I don't follow mens tennis much, but I'd much rather see Peter get the WC than Mark. At least Petes' a worker & not some rich, lazy daddy's boy!

gillibean
May 7th, 2005, 03:31 AM
May 4, 2005 foxsports.news.com.au/tennis

MARK Philippoussis has the chance to answer Pat Rafter's criticism after being offered Tennis Australia's French Open singles wildcard.

Philippoussis, whose work ethic was again questioned by former Davis Cup teammate Rafter in a television interview this week, is practising in Miami with new coach Andrew Florent.

News of his invitation to the Roland Garros grand slam has not been released, but "the Scud" has been contacted about the wildcard.

The dual Davis Cup winner is wallowing at 183rd in world rankings after only two ATP level matches since reaching the fourth round of Wimbledon last year.

His miserable year since has yielded 13 opening-round defeats as he plummeted from a ranking of nine to oblivion.

The freefall has been arrested, if only slightly, but he has now been struck down with injuries.

But Tennis Australia, desperate to help salvage Philippoussis's career, has not abandoned the US Open and Wimbledon finalist.

It could have easily selected vastly improved Peter Luczak, Australia's second-best clay court player behind world No.2 Lleyton Hewitt, for the French Open wildcard.

Luczak, ranked more than 50 places higher than Philippoussis at No.131, has defeated Olympic gold medallist Fernando Gonzalez and talented German Florian Mayer on clay this season.

He will lead Australia's qualifying charge and, while he has grounds to feel aggrieved, Philippoussis's record justifies him earning the wildcard.

Philippoussis is certain to bristle at Rafter's claim he has squandered a rare talent by not working hard enough.

The former doubles partners have shared a rocky relationship since Rafter won the 1997 US Open.

They fell out in 1998 when Rafter caned Philippoussis in the US Open final, prompting father Nick Philippoussis to criticise Rafter's coach Tony Roche.

The duo's Davis Cup clashes simmered until Rafter's retirement in 2001.

The major bone of contention was Philippoussis's diffidence to the national cause - an attitude Rafter could never abide - and a succession of Philippoussis cup no-shows.

Rafter told the ABC's Enough Rope with Andrew Denton that Philippoussis had "missed his opportunity" by failing to win a major or reach the rankings summit.

Rafter said Philippoussis now faced his "last chance".

He said it had not been unusual for Philippoussis to quit Davis Cup practice after 30 minutes while his teammates trained for four hours.

He said Philippoussis would struggle at grand slam level unless he sharply improved his work ethic because ability alone did not ensure success.

Philippoussis will probably use a European Challenger tournament, a third-tier professional event, to prepare for the French Open.

Rafter retired because of injury and motivational problems after the 2001 Davis Cup loss to France.

azza
May 7th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Not official but

Philippoussis has declined the WC for RG. He is not fully recovered and prefers to prepare for grass instead.

broncosven
May 7th, 2005, 04:05 AM
All i can say is GOOD !!!

Let's go PETE !!

gillibean
May 7th, 2005, 04:36 AM
when will they officially announce it?

broncosven
May 8th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Luczak and Ferguson receive French Open wildcards

Melbourne, May 6 - Australia’s Peter Luczak and Sophie Ferguson have been announced as the recipients of wildcards into the French Open main draw, under a reciprocal agreement between Tennis Australia and the French Tennis Federation.

Luczak, aged 25, is currently Australia’s third highest ranked player at 131 in the world.

Since the completion of the Australian summer circuit, Luczak has played an extensive claycourt season in South America and Europe, reaching the semifinals of an ATP tournament in Brazil and defeating world No.48 Florian Mayer of Germany in Munich recently.

Luczak, currently training in Germany, said he was overjoyed to receive the main draw wildcard.

"I have been working really hard on clay in the past 12 months and have probably had two of my biggest wins on the surface this year," he said. "I feel like I have a good chance to do well at the French Open and it is a real bonus not to have to play qualifying."

He has contested qualifying at the French Open three times previously from 2002-2004, but has not been able to progress past the second round.

Peter Johnston, Head of Men’s Tennis at Tennis Australia, said that Mark Philippoussis had initially been offered the men’s wildcard.

"Mark has been working hard in the United States with his new coach Andrew Florent, however he advised us that he wouldn’t be ready in time to contest the French Open and was going to focus his energies on the grasscourt season leading up to Wimbledon," said Johnston.

Joining Luczak and making her main draw debut at Roland Garros is 19-year-old Sophie Ferguson.

Ferguson is Australia’s fifth ranked player at 246 in the world and is coached by tennis legend Tony Roche. She recently made a successful Fed Cup playing debut when the Optus Australian Fed Cup Team competed in New Delhi, India in April.

At the Medibank International in Sydney this year she received a main draw wildcard and pushed then world No.27 Magdalena Maleeva to three sets.

As a wildcard at this year’s Australian Open, she reached the second round by defeating Nuria Llagostera Vives of Spain before losing to No.11 seed Nadia Petrova of Russia 4-6 6-0 6-1 on Rod Laver Arena.

Janet Young, Head of Women’s Tennis at Tennis Australia, said that Ferguson was a very promising player who enjoyed the big occasion.

"I’m very pleased that Sophie will have the chance to compete at her second Grand Slam and build on the momentum she started with her results at the Australian Open in January and her success at the recent Fed Cup Tie in India," she said.

The 2005 French Open will be held at Roland Garros, Paris from Monday 23 May – Sunday 5 June

gillibean
May 14th, 2005, 03:42 AM
hey does anyone know about coverage and if fox will show the aussie games - and what free to air one has it? is it 7?

Mattographer
May 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM
OK, that's it! Christina Wheeler should got it instead of Sophie Ferguson! :lol:

Mattographer
May 14th, 2005, 03:13 PM
hey does anyone know about coverage and if fox will show the aussie games - and what free to air one has it? is it 7?
Fox Sports will have the coverage in LIVE :) Don't think there will aired on free channels, though.

LefandePatty
May 14th, 2005, 06:43 PM
WC for Sophie, that's great!! :D :)

SeanyQ
May 16th, 2005, 03:29 AM
OK, that's it! Christina Wheeler should got it instead of Sophie Ferguson! :lol:
Had they not already announced the WC for Sophie weeks ago then maybe Christina based on current form. But remember TA doesn't really support players that haven't made the top 100 by 21 y.o. Sad, but it's the way it is. Look at Dittmann - reached the top 200 too late & has never been given a MD singles WC from TA ever!! They don't seem to notice Aussies bloom late!