PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Question

chain
Feb 4th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Did Alicia start off as a serve volleyer? I somehow kept thinking she was until I saw this year's Aussie Open. I wondered where the hell I got 'Alicia is a serve-vollyer' idea from. Going through some old newspaper clippings every article described Molik as a "serve vollyer"...so *that's* where I got the idea from!

Anyway. Pointless question, just curious.

CathyC!
Feb 4th, 2005, 11:24 AM
hmm that's what i heard from "vj" the indian commentator on Star Sports too during a prematch analysis this year @ OZ

Gowza
Feb 4th, 2005, 11:28 AM
its been a long time but im pretty sure alicia was a serve volleyer to begin with, if not she certainly served and volleyed or came to net a lot more than she does now.

~Rachel~
Feb 4th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I've often wondered why Alicia doesn't serve and volley more :shrug: She certianly has the game! Arguably the best serve on the women's tour and, as we know from her doubles title at the Aussie Open, great volleying technique!

Oh, and welcome to the board Chain :wavey:

chain
Feb 6th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Thanks for that guys. Turns out Alicia played with a double handed backhand until 15. I'd like to see her serve & volley more too.

Thanks for the welcome Rachel. :wavey:

vivy09
Feb 6th, 2005, 07:16 AM
hi chain!! welcome!!

yeh i agree, she should serve-volley more and i was suprised how it took her more than a set for her to approach the net in her QF against davernport at the aus open because she couldve got a lot of points from doing that.

if she does it more, then she will become an even more complete player, which is great!! :)

Gowza
Feb 6th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Thanks for that guys. Turns out Alicia played with a double handed backhand until 15. I'd like to see her serve & volley more too.

Thanks for the welcome Rachel. :wavey:

wow she played with a double-handed backhand til 15, i wonder why she changed, thats a pretty late age to change a whole stroke. would be interesting to see how she hits the 2 hander nowadays. changing to a on hander would have helped her volleys and slice tho.