PDA

View Full Version : DO you find it easy to empathize with your enemies?

Volcana
Feb 1st, 2005, 05:12 AM
I use the term 'enemies' loosely. There's a limit to the length of a thread title. What I mean is, there are people I disagree with, some vehemently, whose point f view I have no trouble seeing. I just disagree with it.

It's not surprise white conservatives were so opposed to equal rights for Blacks in the United States. If the best land, jobs and circumstances weren't reserved for whites, Blacks were obviously going to take some of those. I completely understand their opposition.

To the astonishment of most of my friends, I consider the members of Operation Rescue sane and courageous people. I disagree with them, but that's something else altogether.

I consider the Sept 1th attacks a completely predictable response to America's behaviour around the world, carried out by sane, rational people who believe they were acting in self-defense. And I still supported the American invasion of Afghanistan.

This may simply be a lack of principals on my part. Or a form of insanity. But I frequently find it very easy to understand why my enemies act the way they do. And to see those actions as sane, reasoned and rational.

I happen to possess an absolutely killer example of this, but I hesitate to post it here. Let the polling decide!

kiwifan
Feb 1st, 2005, 05:25 AM
The best way to beat your enemies is to keep putting yourself in their position.

Empathy is a great weapon. :devil:

Still I'm sure your point is once again some :retard: anti-American tangent so I'll ignore your silly little poll :p :hehehe: :p

Aretha Franklin
Feb 1st, 2005, 05:25 AM
i do and i use it to win arguments against them and make them look like dickheads because invariably they cannot do the same as they are blinded by their own opinions.

i can understand why diana ross thinks she's the biggest diva for example because she's a drugged out old sister

Oleh
Feb 1st, 2005, 05:39 AM
Well I try..;) ...I can advocate anyone when I take leave of my personal opinion.. which is why i am in the midst of becoming a Lawyer and get told when I make my arguments I do a good job (Perhaps not here :p!!)...go figure...

"Sluggy"
Feb 1st, 2005, 08:15 AM
No, i see no need to empathize with evil. I understand peoples positions, but not their actions. I find it destestable that volcana can write such things regarding 9/11.

America would have enemies no matter what it does. England is basically the same type of political system, similar history, colonial power, large military... yet America was targeted by terrorists and not England. Volcana talks about the 9/11 terrorists as if they are trusted and beloved friends. Get real. It makes me want to puke.

Halardfan
Feb 1st, 2005, 10:06 AM
Its something I have a lot of difficuly with, I tend to have have pretty strong stubborn opinions and often find contrary one's hard to fathom.

I think it applies to things from grandest issues the world faces to the most trivial.

Heck, look at the the huge rows that have gone on these boards over tennis and everyone's respective faves...in part surely a result of both having too strong and rigid a belief that oneself is right, and not enough ability to see the contrary view, and a tendancy to react based on our own underlying prejudices than on the facts of a case.

Check into any of the rolling rows that have gone on over in Gen.Messages over they years and 80% of the people in them are locked into that way of thinking...I know I was like that back in the old Halard glory days, and would be the same again were she ever to return :hearts: ...maybe its just how most people are.

Hulet
Feb 1st, 2005, 03:08 PM
Personally, I consider myself my own greatest/sole enemy. And, so, I don't find it that hard to empathize with myself/myfoe. :o ;)
But, I have a great problem identifying with other people, friend or enemy, unless I made some conscious effort to do so.

"Sluggy"
Feb 1st, 2005, 03:37 PM
I suppose I just dont get it. I understand my enemies position, and sometimes I can understand WHY they take that position. but if my enemy wants to kill me, even if I am (only) inconveniencing him, or moderately harming him, if he wants to cause collateral damage than to me he is evil - and not worthy of my empathy. Evil only exists to be obliterated, not understood, pitied, empathized with etc., just destroyed.

griffin
Feb 1st, 2005, 03:40 PM
America would have enemies no matter what it does. England is basically the same type of political system, similar history, colonial power, large military... yet America was targeted by terrorists and not England. Volcana talks about the 9/11 terrorists as if they are trusted and beloved friends. Get real. It makes me want to puke.

I read it as V understanding whey they did what they did - that's a far cry from saying he agrees with/approves of them or their actions.

Simply labeling your opponents as "insane" or "inhuman" ("other") may help describe the magnitude of what they've done, but it of no help in understanding why a thing has happened let alone stopping it from happening again.