PDA

View Full Version : Memoirs Of A Geisha- The Movie

Martian KC
Jan 31st, 2005, 06:20 AM
I really want to know what everyone thinks about the casting, the use of language for the film, etc, especially from the Chinese and Japanese posters.:o

Sam L
Jan 31st, 2005, 10:11 AM
Well we don't have any dialogue yet. But just from the images, it looks fantastic!

adss
Jan 31st, 2005, 05:06 PM
i'm so excitied for this movie :bounce:, gong li is perfect for hatsumomo :hearts:

kabuki
Jan 31st, 2005, 05:18 PM
Too bad there are almost no Japanese in a movie set in Japan, about a Japanese girl. :o :mad:

LostInThe80s
Jan 31st, 2005, 05:22 PM
Too bad there are almost no Japanese in a movie set in Japan, about a Japanese girl. :o :mad:

Out of the 16 or so main characters, 8 are played by Japanese actors.

kabuki
Jan 31st, 2005, 05:28 PM
Out of the 16 or so main characters, 8 are played by Japanese actors.

But none of the three main characters (who will have the most screen time), Sayuri (Zhang Ziyi), Hatsumomo (Gong Li), or Mameha (Michelle Yeoh). :rolleyes:

LostInThe80s
Jan 31st, 2005, 05:32 PM
But none of the three main characters (who will have the most screen time), Sayuri (Zhang Ziyi), Hatsumomo (Gong Li), or Mameha (Michelle Yeoh). :rolleyes:

I realize that and it is disappointing because employment was taken away from Japanese actors. They did cast Cary Tagawa and Ken Watanabe and some lesser known Japanese actors so that's a bit of compensation for the oversight.

spokenword73
Jan 31st, 2005, 08:39 PM
I don't care. I just hope they do a good job because I loved the book!!

khyber
Feb 1st, 2005, 12:24 AM
In American films often Italian/American actors and Jewish/American actors play the other ethnic role. Its not a problem, its all just acting.

shap_half
Feb 1st, 2005, 12:31 AM
If the Japanese actors just don't have what it takes to play the role, then why should they be playing the role. I understand that the ethnic discrepancy is problematic, but I'd rather have 3 Chinese actresses pull off a great film rather than 2000 Japanese actors shit all over this movie.

I LOVE THIS BOOK. I'm an English major and have read many, many literary creations and Memoirs of a Geisha still ranks among my two favorite of all time, Rob Marshall better not fuck up.

kabuki
Feb 1st, 2005, 01:22 AM
Speaking as someone who can differentiate between Asians, it is going to be very difficult for me to accept Chinese actresses as Japanese. The suspension of disbelief is just not going to happen for me. Personally, I don't believe that the leads were chosen strictly on a basis of talent, but on name recognition and bankability. You have arguably three of the most bankable Asian actresses in this film. Great and all for movie receipts, but not so hot for realism, or for the advancement of Japanese actresses in Hollywood.

Martian KC
Feb 1st, 2005, 01:41 AM
I'm very curious to see how well Zhang can speak English, I do remember reports in which they said she really couldn't speak it. And I imagine she has a very thick Mandarin accent.

Michelle and Gong have British accents. I'm wondering how they'll make them speak English with a Japanese accent though.

I really don't mind the casting, but I really want it to be as authentic as the book was. And as kabuki said, I can differentiate between Asians and their dialects, so I don't want to be disappointed at all.

Veritas
Feb 1st, 2005, 02:40 AM
If the Japanese actors just don't have what it takes to play the role, then why should they be playing the role. I understand that the ethnic discrepancy is problematic, but I'd rather have 3 Chinese actresses pull off a great film rather than 2000 Japanese actors shit all over this movie.

I get the impression that Zhang Zi-Yi, Gong Li and Michelle Yeoh were chosen more so for name recognition and star power. Just because potential Japanese leads were overlooked doesn't mean they are any less talented. It's just typical of Hollywood to overlook authenticity and care more about how much $$$ movies will return - and, like others have mentioned before me, the publicity a film generates will depend on how well known its actors/actresses are.

I'm disappointed because this movie had a lot of hype and since it's based on Japanese characters, I think 'Memoirs of a Geisha' would've provided many Japanese actresses with a lot of potential to break into Hollywood. There are already a number of well-known Chinese names, yet the Japanese ones are few and rare.

canadian_bass_2
Feb 1st, 2005, 02:48 AM
I'm very curious to see how well Zhang can speak English, I do remember reports in which they said she really couldn't speak it. And I imagine she has a very thick Mandarin accent.
Zhang was in Rush Hour 2. She played the bad chick...

adss
Feb 1st, 2005, 09:00 AM
unfortunately with the casting it is based on name and bankability, but it's to be expected, it's one of the most anticipated movies of the year, and based on an international best seller. I personally dislike the casting of the director, wish spielberg didn't pull out.

LostInThe80s
Feb 1st, 2005, 02:42 PM
Speaking as someone who can differentiate between Asians, it is going to be very difficult for me to accept Chinese actresses as Japanese. The suspension of disbelief is just not going to happen for me. Personally, I don't believe that the leads were chosen strictly on a basis of talent, but on name recognition and bankability. You have arguably three of the most bankable Asian actresses in this film. Great and all for movie receipts, but not so hot for realism, or for the advancement of Japanese actresses in Hollywood.

I couldn't agree more but as we know Hollywood is all about the money so they went with bankable people. I was just as disappointed with the casting of Don Cheadle in "Hotel Rwanda". They could've at least had a casting call for Hutu actors. Sophie Okonedo who is not only Nigerian but biracial stole a role that should've gone to a Hutu actress.

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 1st, 2005, 04:12 PM
People you have to understand that without bankable stars movies like Hotel Rwanda and (sort of) Memoirs of a Geisha might not be made at all.

Yes I would have liked to see Megumi Okina or misaki ito yoko maki or my favorites aki maeda chiaki kuriyama (she rocks) so yes there are people who could have played these roles but... they just aren't known outside of japan except for maybe chiaki

Martian KC
Feb 1st, 2005, 04:56 PM
Zhang was in Rush Hour 2. She played the bad chick...

Yes? She spoke Mandarin throughout the entire movie.

People you have to understand that without bankable stars movies like Hotel Rwanda and (sort of) Memoirs of a Geisha might not be made at all.

Yes I would have liked to see Megumi Okina or misaki ito yoko maki or my favorites aki maeda chiaki kuriyama (she rocks) so yes there are people who could have played these roles but... they just aren't known outside of japan except for maybe chiaki

I disagree. With Rob Marshall directing and Steven Spielberg co-producing, this movie for sure would have been made.

LostInThe80s
Feb 1st, 2005, 05:00 PM
I disagree. With Rob Marshall directing and Steven Spielberg co-producing, this movie for sure would have been made.

Not with little known Japanese actors in the lead roles. Hollywood wouldn't invest in it.

Martian KC
Feb 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM
Not with little known Japanese actors in the lead roles. Hollywood wouldn't invest in it.

I still disagree. Spielberg's influence weighs in heavily. And they can always market Ken Watanabe as well. :shrug:
It was dumb but smart casting. Let's put it at that.;)

Veritas
Feb 1st, 2005, 09:09 PM
I read a few messages posted on the 'Memoirs of a Geisha' thread in a IMDb board, and it seems that the Chinese posters seem to be the most incensed with Chinese actresses portraying Japanese people. One Chinese woman went as far as calling Gong Li, Zhang Zi-Yi and Michelle Yeoh "traitors" for agreeing to take part in this "evil" movie which is "full of lies" (because it portrays Japan in a more positive light) :lol: Oh God...I love how nationalists and extremists go overboard :haha:

flyingmachine
Feb 1st, 2005, 10:29 PM
I read a few messages posted on the 'Memoirs of a Geisha' thread in a IMDb board, and it seems that the Chinese posters seem to be the most incensed with Chinese actresses portraying Japanese people. One Chinese woman went as far as calling Gong Li, Zhang Zi-Yi and Michelle Yeoh "traitors" for agreeing to take part in this "evil" movie which is "full of lies" (because it portrays Japan in a more positive light) :lol: Oh God...I love how nationalists and extremists go overboard :haha:

Well I'm don't feel incensed with Chinese actresses portraying Japanese people. If they are good they will do a good job if they not I'm sure everyone (especially the Chinese ones ) will complain about it. To these actresses this is a challange just leave them to do their job and let us judge on their acting not weather or not should a Chinese can act as Japanese or vice visa.

CC
Feb 1st, 2005, 10:37 PM
I'm gonna have to re-read the book to refresh my memory for the movie. However, I am sure I will hate it. These adaptations never live up to my expectations. Except Angela's Ashes.:hearts:

flyingmachine
Feb 1st, 2005, 10:40 PM
I'm gonna have to re-read the book to refresh my memory for the movie. However, I am sure I will hate it. These adaptations never live up to my expectations. Except Angela's Ashes.:hearts:
Well from my experience the book is always better than the film.

spiceboy
Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:48 PM
Well from my experience the book is always better than the film.
Except 'Out of Africa'...that has to be the most boring book ever :tape: :tape: while the movie is :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: