PDA

View Full Version : Class of 1992

bello
Mar 25th, 2002, 11:00 PM
Players such as Anna Smashnova, Rossana De Los Rios, Catalina Cristea, Asa Carlsson, Nancy Feber, Maria Alejandra Vento, Barbara Mulej etc.. showed as much promise as the more successful Lindsay, Chanda, Elena Likhotseva..but had different outcomes due to circumstance or dissapointing reults.

Inthe case of De Los Rios, she could have been at leat a top 20 player if she didnt have 5 years absence due to chid birth, imagine what she would have done in that time, amazing that she came back and is around the 50 mark now. I am a huge fan!

Smashnova and Carlsson have been steady, and satisfactory, Smashnova getting better again nowadays.

And what ever happened to the extremely promising Nancy Feber, Catalina Cristea and Barbara Mulej...??

Randy H
Mar 26th, 2002, 12:19 AM
Feber suffered from burnout unfortunately. After such a successful junior career with so much potential, she didn't quite live up to the hype. Reached top 100 for a while, but wasn't on tour for that long before she retired early. I think she's working at a tennis club in Belgium.

Catalina was top 100 but never really did anything spectacular. Seems to be a trend for the Romanians to disappear without word (Spirlea, Dragomir, Cristea). Not sure whether she's injured but she hasn't played in a while now.

Barbara hasn't been on tour for quite a while, not sure exactly what happened, but I am pretty sure that she got sidelined with injuries a couple years ago and never came back (though I think she played a couple of events with dismal results).

spotsyboy
Mar 26th, 2002, 12:21 AM
yeah, where the heck IS Catalina??!! she was close to a top 50 ranking....and then just sort of disappeared......

last i saw she played some challenger early this year I think? maybe it was the end of last year........i wish i could remember....

is she full of injuries perhaps?

I'm also a big fan of Rossana! i got to watch her play last year at Amelia Island with her beautiful little daughter sitting next to me :)

I'm really thrilled about Anna's success this year too!!! If she can do this well on clay, she's going to be tough! She should be ranked 37 next week I think (or close)

bello
Mar 26th, 2002, 03:17 AM
definately a shame to hear that, Nancy was great, she could have made it. Would like to see Cristea come back, she is still in the computer rankings somewhere. Is she out permanantly? Who knows. And of course go ANNA SMASHNOVA! and of couse ROSSANA! and i forgot before..ADRIANA SERRA ZANETTI!

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 26th, 2002, 03:34 AM
Barbara Mulej had a series of injuries :(

she was talented but never got the chance to make a real go of it.

Catalina i think has retired the Romanian way ;)

Alek
Mar 26th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Go Asa :bounce: ;)

Xian-Austriaco
Mar 26th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Barbara Mulej plays in the Austrian Super Tennis Liga for Saeco Vienna. Last year she played 8 single matches and won 6 of them.
f.e. def. Barbara Schwartz 63 64 and Hana Sromova 60 64

Randy H
Mar 26th, 2002, 07:21 PM
thanks for the update Xian :)

too bad Barbara's not playing the challengers trying to get back up because Schwartz is a good player, and even Sromova's a top 300 player right now, so to beat her fairly easily must say something about Mulej's potential to maybe get back up to a decent rank.