PDA

View Full Version : Gwen Stefani's "What you waiting for"

Halardfan
Jan 29th, 2005, 11:47 AM
(I know there was a Stefani thread a few weeks back, but the search engine is still AWOL so I can't find it. Sorry. :o )

Anyone else have this song as their fave of last year? (Narrowly beating out 'Matinee' by Franz Ferdinand) Its just brilliant, with an entirely cool video. Even better, her live performances of the song were breathtaking and full of fun...plus the Japanese(?) dancers were amazing, and yes, gorgeous too...WOW!

Does the rest of the album live up to this classic song? Anyone know what the next single will be here in the UK, and when it will be out? Hopefully the Japanese dancers will be in tow for that one too... :D

Stefani seems to on a winning streak at the moment, I though No Doubt's version of the wonderful "Its my Life" was pretty great too.

TatiAnnahølic
Jan 29th, 2005, 11:49 AM
yeah the song is great :D and her new singles is "Rich Girl" featurning Eve... it's a good song too! but my absolutely favourite is "Harajuku Girls" :worship:

Martian Jeza
Jan 29th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I Loved It's my life and what you waiting for is also a very good song ! Keep on going, Gwenn !

ginger_fish668
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Gwen totally rocks! I looooved that song! :singing to self...tick tock tick tock....: :)

Ting
Jan 29th, 2005, 05:30 PM
What you're waiting for rocks:rocker:We play it in the school common room like every day and dance to it:p

Ekkekko
Jan 29th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Gwen Stefani's "What you waiting for"
She's waiting for me...........:hehehe:

Ting
Jan 29th, 2005, 05:39 PM
++']She's waiting for me...........:hehehe:
Then take your chance you stupid ho:p:p:p

J/k:p

^bibi^
Jan 29th, 2005, 05:41 PM
what you waiting for is great... but I miss the time of no doubt and don't speak..; oh god, it was 8 years ago.. gee, i'm getting old...

RainyDays
Jan 29th, 2005, 06:45 PM
her next single in the U.S. is 'Hollaback Girl', it comes out in the spring.

I dunno when it's coming out in the UK. 'Rich Girl' is really big over here, so maybe it just came out over there?

jenny161185
Jan 30th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Rich girl isnt out over here yet - is there a video in the US for it? I dont like the thought of hollaback girl as the third single - Serious has to be the fourth single! pick up the album anyway its great

Oneofakind0490
Jan 30th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Harajuku Girls should be a single but I don't think people will thinks its good. It took me awhile to start to like the song.

*Jool*
Jan 30th, 2005, 12:52 AM
I heard it for 1st time in a pub tonight and it sounds good ! :yeah:
Anyway, I love No Doubt so I think I wd like Gwen's own disc...

Jericho
Jan 30th, 2005, 12:59 AM
yep the album is great especially the first 5 songs...hollaback girl :banana:

DutchieGirl
Jan 30th, 2005, 01:43 AM
what you waiting for is great... but I miss the time of no doubt and don't speak..; oh god, it was 8 years ago.. gee, i'm getting old...
That was THE song of my last year of High School (Don't Speak).

DutchieGirl
Jan 30th, 2005, 01:45 AM
I like What U Waiting For, but Rich Girl I'm not so sure about. It's OK, but it's not a fave yet! ;)

€CharlDa€
Jan 30th, 2005, 01:59 AM
I really love this song...

SM
Jan 31st, 2005, 01:46 AM
i love the whole album

Halardfan
Jan 31st, 2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the many and various opinions...I tend to not buy albums though, unless they are of the Greatest Hits variety...even with people I really like I seldom like the album tracks, usually just the 3 or 4 big singles...maybe this album is different.

I loved the energy of "What you Waiting for?", the colour, I share her obsession with things Japanese...and as I say in her live performances of the song were among the most enjoyable Ive seen from anyone...

Anyone know more about those Japanese dancers I mentioned (:D :drool: ;))? They appeared on various shows with Gwen, and apart from being brilliant dancers and a bit gorgeous, were strangely mute.

Of course, I barely noticed them, and am just asking in passing...

;)

Edward.
Jan 31st, 2005, 05:51 PM
Love the song, love the album, love her.

Gwen rocks! :yeah:

Hot 92 Jamz
Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:09 PM
I like Gwen's CD especially this (http://sg1.allmusic.com/cg/smp.dll?link=xl7il09k49s95d9pa3r62wy&r=20.asx) song. :)

Andy Mac
Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:26 PM
i can honestly say i have enver heard one of her songs :depressed: and theres alot of poeple here sayin shes good so i guess i shall go download some of her shit?

*Jool*
Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:31 PM
some , yes

i really like this song but the rest of the album is so-so IMo
I quite like Rich Girl and Danger Zone but apart from these songs, I've been a little disappointed by the listening of the album in Virgin.

JonBcn
Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:18 PM
I love the song, but thought the album was dreadful.

Paldias
Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the many and various opinions...I tend to not buy albums though, unless they are of the Greatest Hits variety...even with people I really like I seldom like the album tracks, usually just the 3 or 4 big singles...maybe this album is different.

I loved the energy of "What you Waiting for?", the colour, I share her obsession with things Japanese...and as I say in her live performances of the song were among the most enjoyable Ive seen from anyone...

Anyone know more about those Japanese dancers I mentioned (:D :drool: ;))? They appeared on various shows with Gwen, and apart from being brilliant dancers and a bit gorgeous, were strangely mute.

Of course, I barely noticed them, and am just asking in passing...

;)

They are the japanese harajouku girls that she's always talking about. Harajouku(sp?) apparently is a market in Japan that sells expensive stuff and Gwen goes there all the time.

All this L.A.M.B stuff (Love Angel Music Baby) is her way of advertising. She started a clothes company and that's what she's talking about.

Damn those hidden messages ;)

!<blocparty>!
Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:29 PM
I love the song, but thought the album was dreadful.

Well, I'm not really a fan either. I expected the album to be amazing; wtaworld posters overall album reviews are normally pretty good and I usually get some ideas of whats hot and whats not. I thought this would be hot.......disappointing for me :(

Dahveed
Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:06 AM
Personally i think this is a very good album. Original, catchy and it contains beautiful songs such as 'The Real Thing' or 'Serious'. The first 2 singles are good and the whole concept of this Japanese touch is interesting. The album is like some musical manga, 'Harajuku Girls' is great to listen to. I give it 4 stars out of 5 (****) So there.

Veritas
Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:11 AM
(I know there was a Stefani thread a few weeks back, but the search engine is still AWOL so I can't find it. Sorry. :o )

Anyone else have this song as their fave of last year? (Narrowly beating out 'Matinee' by Franz Ferdinand) Its just brilliant, with an entirely cool video. Even better, her live performances of the song were breathtaking and full of fun...plus the Japanese(?) dancers were amazing, and yes, gorgeous too...WOW!

Does the rest of the album live up to this classic song? Anyone know what the next single will be here in the UK, and when it will be out? Hopefully the Japanese dancers will be in tow for that one too... :D

Stefani seems to on a winning streak at the moment, I though No Doubt's version of the wonderful "Its my Life" was pretty great too.

I love Gwen Stefani's 'L.A.M.B' album! Not only is it a welcome change from the R&B/Hip-Hop commodities coming from the top of the Billboard Charts nowadays, it has a strong mix of 80s and New Wave influenced songs that are unique and fascinating to listen to. I'm a sucker for 80s music and I really like how Gwen has made rapidly-paced dance/pop songs sound funky instead of cheesy.

And I don't understand why some people don't like the album. Everyone has their own opinion, but L.A.M.B has had awesome producers, such as Linda Perry, Dr Dre, Andre (Outkast) and Neptunes, working behind it. Plus, not many people can deny that Gwen Stefani's solo album is a fairly unique effort. Hats off to her for making something so interesting and different :worship:

Btw, my favourite song on the album is 'Harajuku Girls' :angel:

katiektc
Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:19 AM
Omg i love 'what u waiting for'! i got the album for christmas and have been addicted to it, its definately the best song on the album though.
there are some over great tracks, i especially like 'Hollaback Girl' - its just so funky!! and also 'Cool', 'Bubble Pop Electric' and 'Danger Zone'.
The whole album is really ecletic with loads of different styles, it doesnt sound like a No Doubt album, so she has really branched out.
Some songs are just so irritating though, i hate 'Harajuku Girls' and 'Long way to go', they havnt grown on me at all.
but overall its a top notch album that id recommend!! ;)

Halardfan
Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:25 PM
I saw the "Its My Life" video for the first time in a while yesterday, I ADORE the bit in the song/video where she say "Funny how I blind myself, I never knew..." looking deep into the lens, such a cool moment! I loved the orginal song, and while the No Doubt version isn't quite as amazing as that, it still more than does the song justice, and is a welcome version of it...unlike so many cover version these days, most of which mange to crush the spirit of the original song and make me want to slap the singers for their lack of talent and sheer cheek...

Or maybe Im just getting old... ;)

tennisIlove09
Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:24 PM
I love the song...but it's so much better when your drunk and dancing at the gay bar. "You're still a super hot female.....you've got you're million dollar contract.....and they're all waiting for your hot track"

Hot 92 Jamz
Feb 4th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I saw the "Its My Life" video for the first time in a while yesterday, I ADORE the bit in the song/video where she say "Funny how I blind myself, I never knew..." looking deep into the lens, such a cool moment! I loved the orginal song, and while the No Doubt version isn't quite as amazing as that, it still more than does the song justice, and is a welcome version of it...unlike so many cover version these days, most of which mange to crush the spirit of the original song and make me want to slap the singers for their lack of talent and sheer cheek...

Or maybe Im just getting old... ;)

I totally agree! Both versions are good. I prefer Talk Talk's but No Doubt put their own spin on it and did a great job altogether. :)