PDA

View Full Version : 80's music fans do you guys remember this song?

LostInThe80s
Jan 28th, 2005, 06:08 PM
:dance: http://sg1.allmusic.com/cg/smp.dll?r=20.asx&link=pwver6peprmdni8vrawzwyv :dance:

Here's other link to the same song just in case--

WMP
http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/wm2/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/uswm2/867/143867_1_01.asx?obj=v40525

Real Player
http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/rm/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/usrm/867/143867_1_01.ram?obj=v40518

GBFH
Jan 28th, 2005, 08:36 PM
can't say i do, but anything 80s = :yeah:

KV
Jan 28th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Remember Sisters of Mercy, though you had so many songs very close to each other. BTW, me fond of the 8O's sound.

Barrie_Dude
Jan 28th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Sisters Of Mercy? :scratch:

Rocketta
Jan 29th, 2005, 12:08 AM
no I never heard that one...

Dana Marcy
Jan 31st, 2005, 04:43 AM
no I never heard that one...

Ditto but then again this wasn't the kind of music I was listening to back in the day. :angel:

Rocketta
Jan 31st, 2005, 04:44 AM
Ditto but then again this wasn't the kind of music I was listening to back in the day. :angel:
me either...;)

AjdeNate!
Jan 31st, 2005, 04:46 AM
Yeah, I think I had the cassette :o

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002H58.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

rand
Jan 31st, 2005, 09:30 AM
I can't download the song, but if it's by the sisters of mercy I certainly know it :D
it's my favourite band, ever!
everything andrew eldritch ever touched made greaat songs...and one of the few decent lyricists in the music industry....

Hot 92 Jamz
Jan 31st, 2005, 10:21 AM
I don't know the song but it sounds like what we called Goth where I grew up.

rand
Jan 31st, 2005, 10:33 AM
I don't know the song but it sounds like what we called Goth where I grew up.that's the moment I get angry, they always associated 'goth' with this music...it isn't goth, not at all....they also never dressed up like those goths did and still do, but nevertheless they were always called "bats" or 'the grandfathers of goth'....
but then again those people would say the same about joy division....it's easy to pigeon-hole a lot of bands without even knowing what the hole in question englobes
(it's not an attack directed at you Hot 92 Jamz (http://www.wtaworld.com/member.php?u=19926) but more at the people responsible for this situation...music critics mainly....

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jan 31st, 2005, 10:37 AM
Sisters Of Mercy? :scratch:

Hmmm.. i don't think they were big in the US..but i have heard of SWING OUT SISTER lol.......B R E A K O UT ..don't stop dooowaaa... B R E A K O U T ;) :p

The Crow
Jan 31st, 2005, 10:41 AM
The Sisters :drool: (and rand slow down, a lot of their music is goth, whether they like it or not :p)

rand
Jan 31st, 2005, 10:48 AM
The Sisters :drool: (and rand slow down, a lot of their music is goth, whether they like it or not :p)
it's not :p
the only real "goth song" they ever made was a parody on goth (this corrosion), the first part of their career is clearly post-punk (like joy division)
afterwards it systematically turned to synth-pop, until vision thing where they definitely made a turn towards rock....
it's not because you're dressed in black and you don't make your music very happy that you're goth is it? actually even "dressed in black" would only work until 85.....since then they don't anymore....
or would you call johnny cash goth? :confused:

rand
Jan 31st, 2005, 10:48 AM
btw j, which song is this? I can't listen to it...

The Crow
Jan 31st, 2005, 11:31 AM
Can't listen to it either, sorry ;)

And since I apparently like Johnny Cash, yes, he is goth ;) (and I was just toying with you, relax :p)

rand
Jan 31st, 2005, 11:36 AM
Can't listen to it either, sorry ;)

And since I apparently like Johnny Cash, yes, he is goth ;) (and I was just toying with you, relax :p)
do you think I'm upset with this? :lol:

I just like to have the records straight, that's all ;)

it's like if someone would call greenday punk or something....I wouldn't be angry but I'd make a bashing post nevertheless ;)

The Crow
Jan 31st, 2005, 12:50 PM
Greenday's punk :p

rand
Jan 31st, 2005, 01:20 PM
Greenday's punk :p
:fiery: :mad: :mad: :fiery:

LostInThe80s
Jan 31st, 2005, 06:02 PM
that's the moment I get angry, they always associated 'goth' with this music...it isn't goth, not at all....they also never dressed up like those goths did and still do, but nevertheless they were always called "bats" or 'the grandfathers of goth'....
but then again those people would say the same about joy division....it's easy to pigeon-hole a lot of bands without even knowing what the hole in question englobes but more at the people responsible for this situation...music critics mainly....

Andy is Goth! He's just in denial. :p And isn't it interesting that for a band that's supposedly not Goth the majority of people that went to their shows were Goth. :tape:

Btw, the song is "Dominion/Mother Russia".

rand
Feb 1st, 2005, 08:01 AM
Andy is Goth! He's just in denial. :p And isn't it interesting that for a band that's supposedly not Goth the majority of people that went to their shows were Goth. :tape:

Btw, the song is "Dominion/Mother Russia".
"interesting" isn't the right word...goths just appropriated themselves the band....
the thing is, andy defined what would later become the goth circus, but that doesn't mean he is/was one...
there are enough articles, since the rise of goth in which, from the start on you can see he disgusts the movement...it isn't something he started to do in 95 or something...you can find those references already in 85/86....
it's like saying the velvet underground was punk or something....not possible because at that time punk didn't even exist...
the ones that were goth in the sisters were hussey and adams, why do you think they left when goth appeared? what do you think the fight was all about? :p

and to end...why choose dominion? it's one of their worst songs...except the end, but the beginning is cliché...and was meant to be....

post a version of ribbons, or temple of love, or emma, or driven like the snow, or lucretia, or nine while nine, or some kind of stranger (there are some brilliant live versions around in combination with pink floyd's comfortably numb, the dark paradise boot comes to mind)

:)

ah I could talk about them for hours....
andy's lyrics are second to none except cohen's.... :)

The Crow
Feb 1st, 2005, 09:57 AM
I love Dominion/Mother Russia. It's one of their best songs (and I don't care whether it's cliche or not). And rand, jeez, you are obsessed with all this "goth or not" thingie, aren't you? :p It's just plain obvious that they influenced a lot of 'goth' bands (as did Joy Division for that matter). What's so terrible about that?

rand
Feb 1st, 2005, 10:43 AM
I love Dominion/Mother Russia. It's one of their best songs (and I don't care whether it's cliche or not). And rand, jeez, you are obsessed with all this "goth or not" thingie, aren't you? :p It's just plain obvious that they influenced a lot of 'goth' bands (as did Joy Division for that matter). What's so terrible about that?
I'm not obsessed :lol: but I have a problem that, because they have been pigeon-holed in the goth scene, they aren't taken seriously...making it imossible for them to be evaluated failrly, and thus to get any commercial success...
I don't deny they influenced the genre, but it doesn't meant they are part of it...
in the same way lou reed isn't punk...imagine if they'd hav done that...pigeon-holing lou reed into punk (he influenced it a lot), you can be certain he wouldn't have the success he enjoys now...it's also what happened with john cale for example...
and since lou has gotten the "artist" label instead....his lyrics are automatically praised by the whole music critic world...while most of his lyrics can't approach the level of andy's...or ian curtis' for that matter...
but andy's get laughed at.....because of the goth tag....and that's one of the reasons they don't release anything anymore...and THAT's why I care....

The Crow
Feb 1st, 2005, 11:38 AM
Another reason is that apparently he makes music which doesn't appeal to a large audience. Too bad, I'll give you that, but that's the way it is...

Jakeev
Feb 1st, 2005, 11:51 AM
:dance: http://sg1.allmusic.com/cg/smp.dll?r=20.asx&link=pwver6peprmdni8vrawzwyv :dance:

Here's other link to the same song just in case--

WMP
http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/wm2/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/uswm2/867/143867_1_01.asx?obj=v40525

Real Player
http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/rm/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/usrm/867/143867_1_01.ram?obj=v40518
Used to hear them on KROQ all the time back in the day. All though some of their best material came later in the early 90s in my opinion.

rand
Feb 1st, 2005, 01:09 PM
Another reason is that apparently he makes music which doesn't appeal to a large audience. Too bad, I'll give you that, but that's the way it is...
that's true too of course :)

LostInThe80s
Feb 1st, 2005, 03:15 PM
"interesting" isn't the right word...goths just appropriated themselves the band....
the thing is, andy defined what would later become the goth circus, but that doesn't mean he is/was one...
there are enough articles, since the rise of goth in which, from the start on you can see he disgusts the movement...it isn't something he started to do in 95 or something...you can find those references already in 85/86....
it's like saying the velvet underground was punk or something....not possible because at that time punk didn't even exist...
the ones that were goth in the sisters were hussey and adams, why do you think they left when goth appeared? what do you think the fight was all about? :p

and to end...why choose dominion? it's one of their worst songs...except the end, but the beginning is cliché...and was meant to be....

post a version of ribbons, or temple of love, or emma, or driven like the snow, or lucretia, or nine while nine, or some kind of stranger (there are some brilliant live versions around in combination with pink floyd's comfortably numb, the dark paradise boot comes to mind)

:)

ah I could talk about them for hours....
andy's lyrics are second to none except cohen's.... :)

I was listening to Floodlands when I was 12 and I just liked it because it took me somewhere. It was just a really fun journey as “Dominion” represents for me. I’m glad that you had a deep (almost existential ;) j/k) experience, though. I’m joking about the whole Goth label. I got into SOM back then and I wasn’t even wearing black eyeliner nor did I dye my hair blue black. :tape: The Goths just made SOM’s music seem so poseur-ish. :(

rand
Feb 1st, 2005, 03:17 PM
I was listening to Floodlands when I was 12 and I just liked it because it took me somewhere. It was just a really fun journey as “Dominion” represents for me. I’m glad that you had a deep (almost existential ;) j/k) experience, though. I’m joking about the whole Goth label. I got into SOM back then and I wasn’t even wearing black eyeliner nor did I dye my hair blue black. :tape: The Goths just made SOM’s music seem so poseur-ish. :(
indeed :)