PDA

View Full Version : Kathy May

Monaco
Mar 25th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Anyone remembers Kathy May, a Top 10 player from the US, who got married a number of times, including to 1980 Australian Open winner Brian Teacher.

Mark43
Mar 28th, 2002, 03:04 AM
I do. Kathy May Teacher! She had dark hair and was a baseliner never ranked above 15 or so (I think). Is she still married to Teacher? I have never heard anything on either of them.

Brian Stewart
Mar 28th, 2002, 05:02 PM
She's listed in the ITF database as Kathy May-Teacher-Paben. So she's been married again. A few players did that. Remember Betty Ann Stuart-Grubb-Dent? (Taylor's mom.) I saw a pic of her from Wimbledon in the 70's, when she had the words "Watch it!" stitched across the back of her panties, apparently as a warning to tabloid photographers. Obviously, it wasn't particularly successful. :)

Monaco
Mar 29th, 2002, 07:55 AM
I think she married a third time to someone named Fritz.
I quite like to find out about lesser known stories / players from the 1970s.
I believe May and Teacher broke up just before the Australian Open in 1980, he did not want to make the trip but won the event. May retired at the end of 1980 when she was 24.

Rollo
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:40 AM
Maybe "Watch IT! had a double meaning Brian;)

Didn't Kathy have match points vs. Wendy turnbull at the 1978 US Open in the quarters? That was her best showing in a major.

lanpham6
Jul 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM
She's now married to Guy Fritz. My mom was coaching her son, Taylor Fritz, on a team tennis thing. I know their family.:)

PamShriver
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
I think she was from Beverly Hills, she had a niece Alysia who was a top junior in the '80s.

lanpham6
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:26 PM
she lives in the san diego area now.

jaytee
Jul 5th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I remember Kathy too. What springs to mind is 1977 Wimbledon when they had 12 seeds in the ladies singles (the only time I believe) and Kathy crept in at #12, presumably from her WTA ranking ??. She made her place in the last 16 then lost to Melville-Reid.

Declan
Jul 5th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Kathy May was one of my favourite players in the Seventies! I always think she was overlooked in her day, and long-forgotten now. She was primarily a base-liner but had good results on all surfaces. She reached the QFs at Roland Garros twice, and also the Quarters at the US Open in 1978, beating Betty Stove, and coming close to toppling Wendy Turnbull, as Rollo remembers. She avenged that loss in the following US Open in the 3rd round, before going down to Billie Jean King in the fourth round. As jaytee remembers, she was seeded 12th at Wimbledon in 1977, though she was actually 17th on the computer going into the championships. I thought Wimbledon were rewarding her for not playing WTT and playing the European clay events and the minor British grass events in the first year that most of her Top 20 peers didn't! She won the US Clay Courts title in 1976, and had the kudos of beating Martina Navratilova in the first round of the VS of Dallas in 1977!She peaked at No.10 in July 1977, and from the end of 1976 to the end of 1979 was pretty much always ranked in the Top Twenty. She married Brian Teacher in February 1979, and her always-sparingly-played schedule was curtailed even further after that until she retired after the US Open in 1980. She became Kathy May Paben at some time in the 80s. In August 1990 she entered a WTA main tour event in Albuquerque and even after a full decade away was able to beat top 100 player Alexia Dechaume and push Ann Minter! Later she was Kathy May Fritz, and I think she's won at least one US Open senior doubles title (with Virginia Wade, I think) in the last few years. I read an article about Kathy in the 70s in World Tennis that suggested she wasn't particularly motivated as she came from the wealthy May family (May Co. department stores?)-this didn't mean much to a Brit. PamShriver: Alysia May was (still is, I imagine!) Kathy's much-younger sister, not niece. Kathy came from a family of seven female siblings! Amanda, Dalynn, Tommee, Alysia,, Anita and Gloria were the others. (Just had to look that up in an old WTA tour guide from when Alysia was playing!)
One final thing: As a schoolboy I wrote to Kathy a couple of times back when she played, and she always replied and sent photos. One year at Wimbledon (1979)she arrived early on an outside court for a 2nd round match vs. Alycia Moulton and was sitting on her chair waiting for her opponent and all the groundspeople and I went on court and introduced myself and we had a good five-minute chat about her game, her season to date, and the seedings at that Wimbledon! Can you imagine that happening today?!! (BTW Kathy won that match, and went out to Chris Evert-LLoyd on Centre Court two days later...)

Declan
Jul 6th, 2008, 11:26 AM
She's listed in the ITF database as Kathy May-Teacher-Paben. So she's been married again. A few players did that. Remember Betty Ann Stuart-Grubb-Dent? (Taylor's mom.) I saw a pic of her from Wimbledon in the 70's, when she had the words "Watch it!" stitched across the back of her panties, apparently as a warning to tabloid photographers. Obviously, it wasn't particularly successful. :)

First she was Betty Ann Grubb ; then Betty Ann Hansen ; then Betty Ann Stuart ; then Betty Ann Dent; and currently she is Betty Ann Grout!!!
Was amazed to see a picture of Betty Ann on the front of a new book of tennis photos issued when I was at Eastbourne this year, called "Supergirls" by Michael Cole. Betty Ann sits proudly beside Anna Kournikova and Serena Williams. I still think she's the sexiest tennis player I've ever seen!!

Jem
Jul 6th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Loved your post on Kathy May, Declan! Do you think she and Chris have some private competition about the most surnames they can collect?

Declan
Jul 7th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Loved your post on Kathy May, Declan! Do you think she and Chris have some private competition about the most surnames they can collect?

LOL! Apparantly they were pretty friendly in 1979, following John Lloyd and Brian Teacher on the Men's tour.

Jakeev
Jul 26th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Kathy May was one of my favourite players in the Seventies! I always think she was overlooked in her day, and long-forgotten now. She was primarily a base-liner but had good results on all surfaces. She reached the QFs at Roland Garros twice, and also the Quarters at the US Open in 1978, beating Betty Stove, and coming close to toppling Wendy Turnbull, as Rollo remembers. She avenged that loss in the following US Open in the 3rd round, before going down to Billie Jean King in the fourth round. As jaytee remembers, she was seeded 12th at Wimbledon in 1977, though she was actually 17th on the computer going into the championships. I thought Wimbledon were rewarding her for not playing WTT and playing the European clay events and the minor British grass events in the first year that most of her Top 20 peers didn't! She won the US Clay Courts title in 1976, and had the kudos of beating Martina Navratilova in the first round of the VS of Dallas in 1977!She peaked at No.10 in July 1977, and from the end of 1976 to the end of 1979 was pretty much always ranked in the Top Twenty. She married Brian Teacher in February 1979, and her always-sparingly-played schedule was curtailed even further after that until she retired after the US Open in 1980. She became Kathy May Paben at some time in the 80s. In August 1990 she entered a WTA main tour event in Albuquerque and even after a full decade away was able to beat top 100 player Alexia Dechaume and push Ann Minter! Later she was Kathy May Fritz, and I think she's won at least one US Open senior doubles title (with Virginia Wade, I think) in the last few years. I read an article about Kathy in the 70s in World Tennis that suggested she wasn't particularly motivated as she came from the wealthy May family (May Co. department stores?)-this didn't mean much to a Brit. PamShriver: Alysia May was (still is, I imagine!) Kathy's much-younger sister, not niece. Kathy came from a family of seven female siblings! Amanda, Dalynn, Tommee, Alysia,, Anita and Gloria were the others. (Just had to look that up in an old WTA tour guide from when Alysia was playing!)
One final thing: As a schoolboy I wrote to Kathy a couple of times back when she played, and she always replied and sent photos. One year at Wimbledon (1979)she arrived early on an outside court for a 2nd round match vs. Alycia Moulton and was sitting on her chair waiting for her opponent and all the groundspeople and I went on court and introduced myself and we had a good five-minute chat about her game, her season to date, and the seedings at that Wimbledon! Can you imagine that happening today?!! (BTW Kathy won that match, and went out to Chris Evert-LLoyd on Centre Court two days later...)

Too bad she quit so early. Seems like she could have still had a decent career considering she never stopped playing competive tennis and I think played championship Paddle tennis for years.

preacherfan
Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
I remember reading that there were two Kathy May's in tennis for awhile. May Teacher was clearly the best. The other must've played on a much lower level, because she was never in major events. I believe that World Tennis interviewed the lesser known Kathy and she commented that sometimes their mail was confused. Once the lesser Kathy received a check for several thousand dollars that belonged to the better Kathy.

Rollo
Feb 8th, 2012, 03:26 PM
An article from 2006 on Kathy May Fritz

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20060516-9999-lz1s16nifty50.html

Nifty at 50

http://www.signonsandiego.com/images/black.gifRancho Santa Fe's Kathy May Fritz wins national age-group title

By Jerry Magee

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
May 16, 2006

She is an heiress, but on a tennis court they don't award points for a player's heritage. At the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club last week, Kathy May Fritz was just another player striving to satisfy the game's challenges.

She succeeded. Playing singles in a tournament for only the second time in about 15 years, she won the women's 50 event at the USTA National Hardcourt Championships.

Kathy May Fritz, who won the national 50s title last week, played seven years on the WTA Tour.
No surprise there. As Kathy May, Fritz played seven years on the WTA Tour, with rankings as high as No. 8 in the world and No. 6 in the United States. In her strokes, particularly her flat, penetrating forehand, during her5-7, 6-2, 6-2 victory over Tina Karwasky of Glendale in the final, there were reminders of how her game once was shaped, and she was challenged. Karwasky previously this season had captured national events in this age group indoors, on clay and on grass.
It was to experience this sort of challenge again that Fritz said she was playing singles.

“I just wanted to challenge myself a little bit more instead of always playing doubles,” she said.
Her challenge came when she failed to convert three set points while serving at 5-4 in the first set. After the opening set, however, Fritz's greater thrust off the ground and her willingness to volley worked to her advantage.

Hers has been a life of privilege. Her father was David May II, the scion of the family that founded the May Department Stores Co. When he died a day after his 80th birthday in April 1992, the firm bearing his name was operating 324 department stores in 31 states and the District of Columbia. The stores recently were sold to Federated Department Stores for $11 billion.

David May II was the grandson of Col. David May, a German immigrant who failed to hit pay dirt as a teenage miner in Colorado in the early 1880s. But he struck gold at the end of the decade when he opened a small clothing store in Leadville, Colo., and from this beginning created the May Department Stores.

When he died of an apparent heart attack, David May II had just watched Kathy's sister, Alysia, complete a tennis practice at the Bel Air Country Club and was waiting for her in his car. Tennis was part of the Mays' lives. They had a court at their Southern California home and Alysia, Kathy and another of their sisters, Anita, all became nationally ranked players.

Anita, now Anita Rosenstein of Beverly Hills, came to La Jolla to witness Kathy's return to singles.
As an athlete, some might regard Kathy's upbringing as a burden. She chooses a different position.
“It definitely has been an asset, I think,” she said. “I've gotten to do things that normally I wouldn't have gotten to do. I've gotten to travel and I lived in a beautiful home. It's been great. It's all because my father worked hard. He had a lot of kids, and that was his goal: to make sure we were comfortable. I was extremely lucky, and still am.”

In addition to Alysia and Anita, Kathy has four half-sisters. Her father also had two adopted sons.
Having scored at La Jolla, Fritz is weighing attempting to make herself a part of the U.S. team in her age group that competes in international events. “It's in the back of my mind,” she said, “but if I do make it, I haven't decided if I want to go.”

She and her husband, Guy, a teaching tennis professional, have a son, Tucker, 8, who is ranked No. 50 in Southern California in the division for 10-year-olds. Both the Fritzes coach him, according to Tucker's mother.

“When we started, we wanted him to learn the game and have fun. That was our goal,” said Kathy. “However far he wants to go is up to him. But he's come a long way. He has only played in tournaments for a year and he's improving all the time and enjoying the competition. We're going to let him do whatever he wants and when he's 11 or so, we would like him to choose what sports he prefers. He's very athletic.” And tall for his age, his mother said. Tucker's father is tall. His mother now is a national champion. Considering her history in tennis, does she consider it humbling to be competing in a senior event? “No,” said the Rancho Santa Fe resident, “because I am at this level now, and I hadn't played singles in a long, long time.”

Rollo
Feb 8th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Picture from 2009 of Kathy May Fritz, husband Guy, and their son Taylor.

http://media.utsandiego.com/img/photos/2009/06/18/tennis_r620x349.jpg?75d51d0aea2efce5189afce216053c bc530c46a8