PDA

View Full Version : AO Disgrace.

Doc
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Putting Schnyder-Dechy on a deserted outside court, and putting doubles on Centre.

What disrespect to the players. No wonder Dechy complained. Putting one of the two key womens matches of the day on a deserted court s unforgivable.

Sam L
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Yeah I can't believe they had the men's doubles on centre court. :rolleyes:

volta
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:56 AM
that is just disgusting i bet that they never would do that to the mens tennis. and you saw how many persons where where seeing it?! MG how can WTA not complain about it? oh right WTA is more worried on money than actually help the players

random_dude
Jan 26th, 2005, 11:01 AM
the reason they put mens doubles on centre court is bcos it was australia day and the greatest doubles player of all time todd woodbridge (an aussie) was playing. he is a much bigger drawcard for the aussie public than the low seeds dechy and schnyder.

TS
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Yes, the 'general' Aussie tennis public. Thankfully that doesn't include me.

I know what I'd rather watch and it's not a little piss ant playing a meaningless doubles match, which I might add, he lost. Thank Christ.

random_dude
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Yes, the 'general' Aussie tennis public. Thankfully that doesn't include me.

I know what I'd rather watch and it's not a little piss ant playing a meaningless doubles match, which I might add, he lost. Thank Christ.
:haha: cruel but fair

Dan23
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Ease up on Woody :p :lol:
It does seem a hard call putting the singles QF out on MCA....but what I think was more interesting was allowing Safin/Hrbaty to be played yesterday in the cool under the RLA roof while earlier Serena/Amelie and Maria/Sveta had to battle it out in the heat along with poor old Davydenko/Roddick today..seems a bit unfair considering the difference in temperatures between the times of the matches was only 1 or 2 degrees :(

random_dude
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:24 PM
MCA isnt exactly a deserted outside court anyway. it is the third biggest court and second biggest at the moment bcos vodafone arena isnt used in the second week.

Grohl
Jan 26th, 2005, 01:31 PM
dechy said something about this, didn't she?

Greenout
Jan 26th, 2005, 01:55 PM
MCA isnt exactly a deserted outside court anyway. it is the third biggest court and second biggest at the moment bcos vodafone arena isnt used in the second week.

I watched the 3rd set tape delayed and it was empty!

Experimentee
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:05 PM
MCA would have been empty because they played it at the same time as the Molik match, which 99% of Aussies would rather watch. If they really had to put it on MCA they should have at least put it at a different time to the Molik match so ppl could have seen it too, but no, they had to ensure no one watched it! It is disrespectful to put a mens doubles QF on RLA instead of womens singles SF. The doubles match was so boring too. And they didnt even show the Dechy match on tv :mad:

Experimentee
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Ease up on Woody :p :lol:
It does seem a hard call putting the singles QF out on MCA....but what I think was more interesting was allowing Safin/Hrbaty to be played yesterday in the cool under the RLA roof while earlier Serena/Amelie and Maria/Sveta had to battle it out in the heat along with poor old Davydenko/Roddick today..seems a bit unfair considering the difference in temperatures between the times of the matches was only 1 or 2 degrees :(

They were probably thinking about getting Safin thru so they could have their dream SF line up with the top 4 seeds. It was pretty obvious that a closed roof would heavily favour Safin, and Hrbaty was not happy and made clear his preference that he wanted the roof open, but they closed it even though it was past the hottest stage of the day and the previous two matches had been in the heat.

Greenout
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Well...don't be surprised if the Aussie's get a crappy schedule and
courts at Roland Garros this year. :tape:

jlamire
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Here's an extract from Eurosport article today:

DECHY SLUMS IT IN THIRD CLASS

It was the crowning achievement of Nathalie Dechy's career so far, so why did the Frenchwoman have to play her first major championship quarter-final on Margaret Court Arena?

Not even the second biggest court at Melbourne Park... but the third!

While Davenport and Molik fought out a tense battle in front of thousands on centre court, Rod Laver Arena, Dechy and Patty Schnyder had to settle for steerage class.

"That wasn't scheduled very nicely," Dechy said afterwards.

"You feel really disappointed because you just think that nobody cares too much about this match, and it's still a quarter-final of a grand slam."

Surely, the order of play committee could have started singles matches earlier that 03:00cet?

xan
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:39 PM
At Wimbledon they sell the showcourt stadium tickets separately so that both main stadiums have a good crowd and good rota of matches.

The AO was disrespectful to the players putting them in an empty arena to make way for a doubles match. So Eurosport was reduced to showing repeats of Last 16 matches rather than live tennis Dechy v SChnyder.

I also agree about the stadium roof. Masha suffered in 90 degree heat for two hours, then they close the roof and switch on the cooling for the men players! I see Maria is scheduled for a 2.30 start today again, while the men get the night session. I hope they close the roof this time if its that hot.

Linnie
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Well...don't be surprised if the Aussie's get a crappy schedule and
courts at Roland Garros this year. :tape:I was thinking the same thing! :lol:

"That wasn't scheduled very nicely," Dechy said afterwards.

"You feel really disappointed because you just think that nobody cares too much about this match, and it's still a quarter-final of a grand slam."
Nath :worship:

gossipcom
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:57 PM
that is just disgusting i bet that they never would do that to the mens tennis. and you saw how many persons where where seeing it?! MG how can WTA not complain about it? oh right WTA is more worried on money than actually help the playersThey had a few of the men's singles matches of outside courts the other day - granted they were 4th round clashes :)

The main reason the men's doubles match was put on earlier was it was Australia Day - so they played the majority of the Australian matches on RLA.

ETA: *Nadine shakes her head* do people even understand the Extreme Heat Policy and the difference between that and the WTA Heat Policy? It affects if the roof is shut, etc.

the cat
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:13 PM
That was terrible schedling on the part of Tennis Australia. :mad: And very unfair to Dechy and Schnyder. Would they have scheduled Myskina/Dementieva on their nymber 3 court? Of course not. Tennis Australia has looked bad this year especially with the scheduling and not closing the roof when it's so hot outside. The players and fans really suffer. And how does Lleyton Hewitt get away with avoiding the brutal daytime heat so much? His night match after night match is tough to take.

gossipcom
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:46 PM
There is an extreme heat rule policy in place that determines whether the roof is closed - there are factors involved in it and it also includes getting the players acceptance to closing the roof - if there are matches already in play when the extreme heat rule policy is forced, then the matches are to be played out regardless of the heat - unless it gets to a certain mercury level (in it's 40's I think). While the policy is in place, no other matches are to commence until it is lifted, or they can be moved to Vodafone Arena (under a closed roof) - but only if the EHR Policy is in place or if it's raining.

Hewitt hasn't had two night matches in a row. He's had night / day / night / day / night and the SF against Roddick will be a late afternoon (twilight start).