PDA

View Full Version : Pam was right, Molik has the best serve in womens tennis...

henree
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:37 AM
She has an amazing serve. It is a very simple motion, but those types of motions are the ones that never break down. Her 2nd serves were great as well. She takes a lot of risk on the 2nd serve and it is very hard to attack. Serena has a little more variety in regards to placement in the service box, but Serena has been playing the 2nd serve a little to safe. What does everyone think...

Doraemon
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:09 AM
I think Alica has a chnace to get to the top.

random_dude
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:11 AM
this is something ive known for a long time ;)

Doc
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Alicia has a wonderful serve.

The trouble is that she needs to get her 1st serve percentage up to 70 from its present 50 or so. That harmed her a lot against Davenport.

DEETHELICK
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I saw Alicia's serve against Venus and she definitely uses it aggressively. However I think her serve lookes even more effective simply because her groundstrokes have improved so much. She takes care of her points and plays her game so well that we think its all about the serve.

I was impressed with her movement and groundstrokes to be honest. The serve is definitely a weapon though. I still like Serena's serve a little better.

random_dude
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Alicia has a wonderful serve.

The trouble is that she needs to get her 1st serve percentage up to 70 from its present 50 or so. That harmed her a lot against Davenport.
yes i was surprised at how her first serve deserted her against venus and lindsay. normally she gets alot more in.

Dava
Jan 26th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I Personally think Serenas is better but Moliks is probably second, I cant think of anyone with a better serve out there.

Grohl
Jan 26th, 2005, 01:22 PM
molik has one of the bests!
I think if she had played lleyton the way he played set 3 and 4, she would have won against him!

xan
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Alicia is certainly the most effective first server. In her matches at the AO she is top currently with 79% winning total on 1st serve points over 5 matches!

She's averaged over 80% in WTA matches recently - which is awesome.

Serena has 77% for 5 AO matches
Lindsay has 76% for 5 AO matches
Venus has 69% over 4 AO matches

On 2nd serve Serena currently has a better record among top players

Serena has 50% for 5 AO matches
Sharapova has 49% for 5 AO matches
Kuznetsova has 49% for 4 AO matches
Molik has 48% for 5 AO matches

thelittlestelf
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:45 PM
At its best, Serena's serve is better.

Moliks is more consistently good.

~Rachel~
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I believe it to be the best the serve in womens tennis at the moment, especially when you take into consideration the second serve :) I think that's where it just pips Serena's

abbygael
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:03 PM
First serve:
Molik
Davenport
Serena
Sharapova

Second serve:
Molik
Serena
Sharapova
Davenport- used to be confident and more aggresive.

Alicia is clearly the best server on tour. The first time I'm worried if Lindsay could break her serve being the best returner in womens tennis.

icequeen
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:41 PM
What the hell are you talking about. Serena has the best 1st and 2nd serve in women's tennis.

DevilishAttitude
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Molik has one of the best serves in tennis. Probably par on Serena and Lindsay :)

Her 2nd serve is the best in tennis in terms of variety and kick. Only the top players can consisently deal with that serve.

Anyone who thinks Serena now has the best 2nd serve in tennis clearly hasn't watched many matches of her since March 04. It's now just a shot to start the rally and is an oppoutnity for opponents to hit winners off :o

Geisha
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Molik hits her serve so flat, though. It's effected but once you get your racquet on the ball, it's pretty easy to attack. Whereas Serena & Lindsay put a lot more spunk on it.

Sanneriet
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Alexander: Molik's Serve Is The Best In Women's Tennis
By Tennis Week
12/27/2004

As newly-appointed Australian Fed Cup captain John Alexander begins his efforts to lead Australia back to the World Group, he's excited at the prospect of working with a woman he believes owns the best serve in the world — 13th-ranked Australian Alicia Molik.

Alexander, who reached a career-high rank of No. 8 on the ATP Tour in 1975, said Molik's technically-sound serve is not only as good as Serena Williams', it's even better than the serves of International Tennis Hall of Fame members Margaret Court, Steffi Graf and Martina Navratilova.

The serve is Molik's signature shot and a key component to the aggressive Australian producing the best year of her career in 2004. Alexander believes when Molik is serving her best, the Olympic bronze medallist's serve is the best in the game.

"In watching her practice over the last week and a bit, I just see a girl with an extraordinary serve, quite possibly the best women's serve I've ever seen," Alexander told Stathi Paxinos of The Age. "On its day, as she is still a developing player, I think it goes very close to being the best in the women's game at the moment and I would be hard pressed to think of a woman who had a better serve. She's got an incredible natural action (where) she's got that ability to impart slice or kick and to hit the ball very, very hard."

In the tradition of Australian legends Court and Evonne Goolagong, Molik plays attacking tennis, using her serve and variety off her backhand to close the net. Some serve-and-volleyers take longer to develop than baseliners and that may be the case for the 23-year-old Molik, who captured three tournament titles and the Olympic bronze medal during a brilliant surge in the final four months of the season.

Molik did not drop a set in winning the Tier IV title in Stockholm in August. She followed that performance with victories over veterans Ai Sugiyama, Lisa Raymond, Elena Dementieva and Roland Garros champion Anastasia Myskina to capture the bronze medal at the Athens Olympic Games. In October, Molik defeated Vera Zvonareva, Nadia Petrova, Patty Schnyder and Wimbledon winner Maria Sharapova in succession to win the Zurich title before scoring a straight sets victory over Dinara Safina the next week to win the Tier III title in Luxembourg.

To crack the top 10, Molik must now elevate her game and play her best tennis in the bigger tournaments. Alexander believes the woman who has only surpassed the third round of a major event once in 24 Grand Slam appearances — she reached the fourth round of the 2004 Australian Open falling to Amelie Mauresmo, 7-5, 7-5, — can use her serve-and-volley skills, athleticism and attacking style to contend at Wimbledon.

"I can promise you there's not a woman in the draw at Wimbledon come June-July who would want to see Alicia in her path," Alexander told Paxinos of The Age.

No exactly an unbiased opinion, but interesting. I am not sure who I think has a better serve between Molik and Williams, but if Moliks really is more consistent, I would have to go with hers. I have only seen her play Venus and Davenport. By the end of this year, we should have a better idea.

~Rachel~
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Here are some stats from australianopen.com, I know they don't tell the whole picture but I thought they were interesting :)

Leaders in aces (all played five matches):

1 A.Molik = 44 aces
2 L.Davenport = 40 aces
3 S.Williams = 31 aces
4 S.Kuznetsova = 27 aces
5 P.Schnyder = 23 aces

Fastest serves:

1 S.Williams = 123mph/198kph
2 N.Petrova = 123mph/197kph
3 A.Molik = 122mph/196kph
4 V.Williams = 119mph/191kph
5 A.Groenefeld = 116mph/187kph

First serve points won:

1 A.Molik = 158 of 200 = 79 %
2 S.Sfar = 21 of 27 = 78 %
3 S.Williams = 118 of 153 = 77 %
4 L.Davenport = 145 of 190 = 76 %
4 M.Domachowska = 58 of 76 = 76 %

random_dude
Jan 27th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Molik hits her serve so flat, though. It's effected but once you get your racquet on the ball, it's pretty easy to attack. Whereas Serena & Lindsay put a lot more spunk on it.
:eek: r u crazy? alicia has more spin on her second serve than any other player.

Prizeidiot
Jan 27th, 2005, 08:05 AM
:eek: r u crazy? alicia has more spin on her second serve than any other player.
I couldn't agree more.... Alicia has a kicking second serve... which is a lot more than any other female player can say. The other girls have flat or weak slicing second serves... Alicia puts some real bite on hers.

harloo
Jan 27th, 2005, 08:07 AM
When Serena is serving well she beats Moliks serve anyday. But I do agree Molik has a great serve though.;)

timray
Jan 27th, 2005, 08:20 AM
When Serena is serving well she beats Moliks serve anyday. But I do agree Molik has a great serve though.;)

Exactly

Fastest serves:

1 S.Williams = 124mph/199kph
2 N.Petrova = 123mph/197kph
3 A.Molik = 122mph/196kph

Fantastic
Jan 27th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Everyone's dying to start a fight in this thread but can't out of heavy respect for both women's serves. Does anyone else sense the tension? Good on everyone for being civilized though.

Alicia has been the most outstanding server of the Australian Open and indeed, the Australian summer season. She was pipped in the "most number of aces" department by Lindsay Davenport during her semi-final win over Dechy, but heck, it's still remarkable and amazing.

bandabou
Jun 6th, 2005, 12:44 AM
and I guess Serena has a better return then...no problem handling Lindsay´s serves.

SM
Jun 6th, 2005, 12:57 AM
it is the best

but her movement sometimes negates it. ie if she plays someone who can step in and crack that serve, she can face trouble esp getting set ont he backhand side..

Davenselesport
Jun 6th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Anna Kournikova got like 89% first serves in... she was a great server :rolleyes:

harloo
Jun 6th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Anna Kournikova got like 89% first serves in... she was a great server :rolleyes:

:lol:

blumaroo
Jun 6th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Molik is the best consistent server. Serena is too inconsistent. And that second serve is just ordinary. I still remember that 66MPH second serve against Venus in Miami. Even Camille Pin wouldnt hit it so slow.

Fingon
Jun 6th, 2005, 03:04 AM
I think Alicia's game is one of the less known in the tour.

She does have a good serve, but consistent?, I've seen it break down several times.

On the other hand, the rest of her game is ofter overlooked because of the serve.

She has one of the best slice backhands (if not the best) in women's tennis, she has very good groundstrokes and a pretty good net game.

She has one of the best serves, but not the best.

The best serve belongs to Serena Williams, and whoever said that because she hit a 66 mph second serve against Venus her second serve is bad must be in drugs. you don't judge someone's serve through ONE serve, that's rather stupid if you ask me, especially when you know that player has been killing everyone with her serve for years.

I also think Maria has a fantastic serve, first and second, her motion is great.

Fingon
Jun 6th, 2005, 03:06 AM
it is the best

but her movement sometimes negates it. ie if she plays someone who can step in and crack that serve, she can face trouble esp getting set ont he backhand side..

if her serve was the best it wouldn't matter, then it wouldn't be very likely that someone could step in and crack it, that's a contradiction.

Not many people can crack Maria, Serena or Lindsay's serve, even Justine's when she is hitting it in, doesn't it say something?

RVD
Jun 6th, 2005, 04:38 AM
In the tradition of Australian legends Court and Evonne Goolagong, Molik plays attacking tennis, using her serve and variety off her backhand to close the net. Some serve-and-volleyers take longer to develop than baseliners and that may be the case for the 23-year-old Molik, who captured three tournament titles and the Olympic bronze medal during a brilliant surge in the final four months of the season.Well, this is quite the Molik lovefest. :lol: I like Alicia's game and find her pleasing in so many ways, but when is she going to get that 'perfect serve' to produce tier I and slam results for her? :confused: I'm sure that not dropping a set in a Tier IV is great and all, but she's 23 years old without a slam or Tier I trophy. And in tennis years, that's closing in on retirement. Also, doesn't she have more doubles titles than singles? I understand John Alexander's excitement in working with Alicia and all, but saying, "I can promise you there's not a woman in the draw at Wimbledon come June-July who would want to see Alicia in her path," may be stretching it a bit, since there are some great returners out there who would love to see Alicia's pace.
But what the hell do I know? I grill peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches as a snack. :lol:

rue
Jun 6th, 2005, 05:51 AM
She really could do some damage with that serve at Wimbledon.

Mr_Molik
Jun 6th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Well, this is quite the Molik lovefest. :lol: I like Alicia's game and find her pleasing in so many ways, but when is she going to get that 'perfect serve' to produce tier I and slam results for her? :confused: I'm sure that not dropping a set in a Tier IV is great and all, but she's 23 years old without a slam or Tier I trophy. And in tennis years, that's closing in on retirement. Also, doesn't she have more doubles titles than singles? I understand John Alexander's excitement in working with Alicia and all, but saying, "I can promise you there's not a woman in the draw at Wimbledon come June-July who would want to see Alicia in her path," may be stretching it a bit, since there are some great returners out there who would love to see Alicia's pace.
But what the hell do I know? I grill peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches as a snack. :lol:
Alicia has a tier 1 title- Zurich 2004 (defeating Sharapova in final) :)
She also has a tier 2, 3, 4 and 5 title :)

@m@nd@
Jun 6th, 2005, 07:07 AM
she has one of the best serves
serena's is realli good as well

Prizeidiot
Jun 6th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Old topic, but what the heck. I tend to judge a serve by the quality of the second serve. In which case, Alicia's is the best. She has a heavy second serve, which is deep, placed well and provides a large margin for error. Essentially, she serves like a man. A lot of other players have flat second serves, which means they are liable to break down every so often. And sometimes people may step in on her serve, but I don't believe that anyone can do that consistently, and that is the same with a lot of other serves.

And I do think Alexander is exaggerating a lot of things, but certainly not the fact that no one wants to see Alicia in their path a Wimbledon. She has an amazing serve, and possibly the best volleys out of all the top singles players (being a former serve-volley player and all).

So Disrespectful
Jun 6th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Molik has the best serve, better than Serena's. Molik bombs aces of her second serve as well as her first. She has a fantastic second serve with plenty of topspin- more than any other player in the top 20. If Alicia is playing at her highest level, she should be able to do well at Wimbledon this year.

I personally think that Stosur's serve will develop even further. I am pretty sure she has served 191km or around that much. But, I haven't really done much research, and possibly even a slower server has a more effective style. Davenport doesn't have the fastest, but she still manages to earn heaps of free points from it.

bandabou
Jun 6th, 2005, 12:21 PM
We´ll see how she does at Wimby....good servers are ought to do well at Wimbledon. Let´s see how far the serve brings her at Wimby...still hasn´t done much at the event, so the serve can´t be THAT good.

Rub
Jun 6th, 2005, 01:13 PM
justine has a better serve i guess... if serena can pick it up, she has a great one too... and kimmy is just serving great lately...

molik :dance:

*JR*
Jun 6th, 2005, 01:30 PM
There's another element not mentioned ITT yet, besides aces, % in, and winning percentage: how much do you "run your opponent ragged" in your service games? Aces and service winners (inc. on your 2nd shot after a weak return) are great. But especially in hot weather, controlling a point and making one's opponent "scramble" can wear her down ova a set or two.

RVD
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Alicia has a tier 1 title- Zurich 2004 (defeating Sharapova in final) :)
She also has a tier 2, 3, 4 and 5 title :)My bad Mr_Molik! I stand corrected. :yeah: ;)

Prizeidiot
Jun 7th, 2005, 08:06 AM
We´ll see how she does at Wimby....good servers are ought to do well at Wimbledon. Let´s see how far the serve brings her at Wimby...still hasn´t done much at the event, so the serve can´t be THAT good.
That's not really right....

Even grass court tennis requires more than a big serve... on your criteria, someone like Karlovic would be consistently making quarters on the mens side. Federer owns Wimbledon at the moment, and not many people would rate his serve the best in the world.

Its silly to conclude that since Serena and Maria dominate Wimbledon that they definitely have serves better than Alicia.

xan
Jun 7th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Molik has the best serve, better than Serena's. Molik bombs aces of her second serve as well as her first. She has a fantastic second serve with plenty of topspin- more than any other player in the top 20. If Alicia is playing at her highest level, she should be able to do well at Wimbledon this year.

I personally think that Stosur's serve will develop even further. I am pretty sure she has served 191km or around that much. But, I haven't really done much research, and possibly even a slower server has a more effective style. Davenport doesn't have the fastest, but she still manages to earn heaps of free points from it.

Stosur served 194km in her match with dechy at RG.

bandabou
Jun 7th, 2005, 12:16 PM
That's not really right....

Even grass court tennis requires more than a big serve... on your criteria, someone like Karlovic would be consistently making quarters on the mens side. Federer owns Wimbledon at the moment, and not many people would rate his serve the best in the world.

Its silly to conclude that since Serena and Maria dominate Wimbledon that they definitely have serves better than Alicia.

So one has to conclude that the rest of her game is certainly lacking then? Best serve on tour, maybe ever, and still no really really big result at Wimby?

rikvanlooy
Jun 7th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Stosur served 194km in her match with dechy at RG.

The same as JHH.

I think that JHH can break the record of Venus for the fastest serve.

She keeps improving the speed, so ...

The average speed of the second serve of JHH is now higher than the fastest first serve of Hingis.

How does JHH do this ?

chain
Jun 8th, 2005, 04:09 AM
I don't buy this 'her serve doesn't break under pressure' business. Her first serve seems to be the first thing to break down under pressure. It happened against Lindsay & Venus, & the AO doubles final, where she served flawlessly until she had to serve out the set/match when she started fraying that first serve.

Prizeidiot
Jun 8th, 2005, 07:54 AM
So one has to conclude that the rest of her game is certainly lacking then? Best serve on tour, maybe ever, and still no really really big result at Wimby?
That's exactly my point. She's been let down by other aspects of her game (mainly the groundstrokes which used to be incredibly inconsistent) I'd expect her to do something this year if she recovers well enough, and gets her game going again. Maybe if she gets broken 7 times in her first round match, I'll reconsider my opinion :)

Huntress555
Jun 8th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Yep, Alicia has an amazing serve, its fantastic! :)

bandabou
Jun 8th, 2005, 11:34 AM
That's exactly my point. She's been let down by other aspects of her game (mainly the groundstrokes which used to be incredibly inconsistent) I'd expect her to do something this year if she recovers well enough, and gets her game going again. Maybe if she gets broken 7 times in her first round match, I'll reconsider my opinion :)

Wow so she´s like the opposite Elena D...and even she managed to reach to finals at majors.