PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe Bud asked that question of Serena about Venus!

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:13 AM
the old coot.

The look Serena had on her face was like I want to curse you from head to toe....if I wasn't a professional and you weren't an old fart I would beat you like you stole something. :lol:

btw, I don't know what's wrong with that other thread. :retard: The system went down when I posted it and it didn't all get posted. :tape:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Did anyone find the "cleavage" BUD was showin to be sexy ? :eek: :hearts: :lick: :drool:

bw2082
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:17 AM
what did he ask? I missed it :confused:

Mrs. Peel
:fiery: No more private interviews for Bud....

what question?

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:18 AM
I'm happy because it gave Serena a chance to speak on some issues that she obviously had pent up. Especially with Venus losing the day before. It's probably best that it came from him in this circumstance, although Serena would have been as respectful as she could be with anyone asking that type of question.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:19 AM
what did he ask? I missed it :confused:He was the one to ask her the question about was Venus' game declining. The one that she went off on somewhat. ;)

Bud said I thought it was a good answer. :rolleyes: Brad said it was a question he should've asked Venus and Bud said he did at Wimbledon. So my question is then why did you feel the need to ask it again? :shrug:

RVD
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Yeah. What question, and what did Serena say? :confused: :confused: :confused:

decemberlove
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:21 AM
that's his job.

faboozadoo15
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:22 AM
good question, good answer. it's his job, folks, you can't get angry at bud for asking if she and her sister are declining. if any other former #1 went a year and a half without a slam, they would get the same question. she answered it well, defending herself, her family, and her situation.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:24 AM
that's his job.
that's not his job to try to ask questions of people who can't answer them. It's not his job to try to antagonize Serena either. especially since he admitted to already asking the question before. What did that have to do with Serena's match anyway?

Anyway, the question and answer can be found in this thread.

http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=148987

GoSandrine
Naughty Bud! http://smileys.******************/cat/4/4_2_111v.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS) http://smileys.******************/cat/355v.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS)

RVD
good question, good answer. it's his job, folks, you can't get angry at bud for asking if she and her sister are declining. if any other former #1 went a year and a half without a slam, they would get the same question. she answered it well, defending herself, her family, and her situation.*jumping up and down-clawing the walls...*What was Serena's response? What did she say? How did she look? C'mon y'all, dish the dirt! :mad: :lol:

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:26 AM
good question, good answer. it's his job, folks, you can't get angry at bud for asking if she and her sister are declining. if any other former #1 went a year and a half without a slam, they would get the same question. she answered it well, defending herself, her family, and her situation.
Bud is like window dressing....he's like old man you don't tell to go home because you know he likes being around so much. Once a question has been asked and answered to keep asking it is to try to be antagonizing. Unfortunately reporters *think* that is their job however, I don't.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:27 AM
*jumping up and down-clawing the walls...*What was Serena's response? What did she say? How did she look? C'mon y'all, dish the dirt! :mad: :lol:
hello, I posted a link to the thread with all the answers.....just scroll up. :hehehe:

faboozadoo15
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:30 AM
*jumping up and down-clawing the walls...*What was Serena's response? What did she say? How did she look? C'mon y'all, dish the dirt! :mad: :lol:

i really don't see all that much wrong with the question except that he could have just stuck to serena without bringing venus in. BUT, the general talk is that both of them are declining. and whether or not serena wants to admit it, she IS there to prove the talk wrong. and she's doing a helluva job. but, she double talks. she can't say she's the best player in the world, and then someone confronts her about her results and suddenly she's "one of the best" and "not here to prove anything." just doesn't add up, which is it? i realize it's difficult to answer these questions from day to day and remember what she said-- but really-- what is her attitude? is she just trying to win, no pressure, nothing to prove... or is she the best player in the world, eager to prove it again on a big stage?

RVD
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:31 AM
hello, I posted a link to the thread with all the answers.....just scroll up. :hehehe:OH! ...*ahem* THANKS! :lol: :wavey:

faboozadoo15
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Bud is like window dressing....he's like old man you don't tell to go home because you know he likes being around so much. Once a question has been asked and answered to keep asking it is to try to be antagonizing. Unfortunately reporters *think* that is their job however, I don't.
that's a good opinion. but hasn't a half a year gone by since the last time he asked it? the man has to keep his articles full, and he knew this question would get a good answer. he knew serena was going to say that they aren't declining. perhaps he will use this as an article about how serena's attitude is always great and how important that is to return to the top. who knows.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:33 AM
why can't she think she's the best player in the world and have nothing to prove to other people? Just because others don't believe it or don't appreciate what she has to say doesn't mean she then has to prove them wrong. Seems to me if you actually do believe you are the best then you definitely don't think you have anything to prove...all you have to do is go out and play like you know you are capable of and concentrate on your game.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:36 AM
that's a good opinion. but hasn't a half a year gone by since the last time he asked it? the man has to keep his articles full, and he knew this question would get a good answer. he knew serena was going to say that they aren't declining. perhaps he will use this as an article about how serena's attitude is always great and how important that is to return to the top. who knows.
so basically he was being antagonizing? :shrug:

I agree. There was no other possible answer that was going to be given. He knew that, You knew that, We all know that. Was there even a .1 % chance that Serena would've said yes our game is declining? :confused:

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:37 AM
OH! ...*ahem* THANKS! :lol: :wavey:
:)

faboozadoo15
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:38 AM
the best players win, and if you don't win, something doesn't add up. there is always something to prove. many women have been the best tennis player in the world and have been less vocal about their abilities. it's not that she has to shut others up, she kinda has to live up to her own mouth.

Paneru
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:39 AM

i really don't see all that much wrong with the question except that he could have just stuck to serena without bringing venus in. BUT, the general talk is that both of them are declining. and whether or not serena wants to admit it, she IS there to prove the talk wrong. and she's doing a helluva job. but, she double talks. she can't say she's the best player in the world, and then someone confronts her about her results and suddenly she's "one of the best" and "not here to prove anything." just doesn't add up, which is it? i realize it's difficult to answer these questions from day to day and remember what she said-- but really-- what is her attitude? is she just trying to win, no pressure, nothing to prove... or is she the best player in the world, eager to prove it again on a big stage?

I think you miss the point!

Serena is not there because she feels she has to prove a damn thing
to certain types of people! Serena was there to do well for herself and
to meet her own expectations. Who gives a good damn what you all are saying if you are Serena.

Also, if they are on the decline and the same damn question is repeatedly asked it was only time before anyone would go off and tell someone off in a round about way without as other have said, cursing them out!

If you feel Serena has something to prove to you and the rest of the world
that's on you! Their is nothing that says they have to compete and win in order to prove anything to the likes of you or anyone else.

You feel what you feel and they feel what they feel.

decemberlove
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:41 AM
that's not his job to try to ask questions of people who can't answer them. It's not his job to try to antagonize Serena either. especially since he admitted to already asking the question before. What did that have to do with Serena's match anyway?

Anyway, the question and answer can be found in this thread.

his job is to make things interesting. the public isn't going to care about an interview 100% about the match just played and the upcoming match. players are asked all the time about things that have absolutely nothing to do about the match... boyfriends... outside interests, etc. judging from her reaction, she's been getting the question a lot, so why is it so shocking that bud would ask her?

anyway, i think it was a tad inappropriate, as the question really only applies to venus. but he got what he want from it... serena told him the fuck off which should shut the media up for a bit.

faboozadoo15
so basically he was being antagonizing? :shrug:

I agree. There was no other possible answer that was going to be given. He knew that, You knew that, We all know that. Was there even a .1 % chance that Serena would've said yes our game is declining? :confused:
i dunno, i can see how it would get annoying... but if lindsay went over a year with only making ONE slam QF, she would be asked with each passing slam she underperforms in if she is declining. even agassi fields these questions, sampras did, seles did, graf did. <-- some of those players never had ruts as big as the williams sisters find themselves in right now-- at least not until the twilight years of their careers. it comes with the territory. it can be a bit antagonistic, but it also gives rise to a good opportunity.

Rocketta
the best players win, and if you don't win, something doesn't add up. there is always something to prove. many women have been the best tennis player in the world and have been less vocal about their abilities. it's not that she has to shut others up, she kinda has to live up to her own mouth.
but what does that have to with proving others wrong? :confused:

I agree she's playing for herself. She's trying to play up to the level she thinks she's capable (sp?) of not what other's think or don't think. Which is why I don't think she thinks she has to prove anything to anyone.

decemberlove
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:43 AM
why can't she think she's the best player in the world and have nothing to prove to other people? Just because others don't believe it or don't appreciate what she has to say doesn't mean she then has to prove them wrong. Seems to me if you actually do believe you are the best then you definitely don't think you have anything to prove...all you have to do is go out and play like you know you are capable of and concentrate on your game.
yes, i agree...

harloo
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Serena came at Bud like never before, and the old fart was a bit shell shocked. He knew damn well what kind of sensationalism he was going for when he added Venus in the interview. He knew exactly the response he wanted to get, and Serena did not dissapoint but she also let him know to fuck off in so many words.

He was dissed and his ego was a bit bruised. I doubt that random fans come up to him saying, "Are the Williams declining?" with baited breath. I just don't think he's being honest when he makes that statement, but people will believe him anyways.:rolleyes:
Bud is fake like the rest of them. I don't buy his act for a second either.

faboozadoo15
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Serena came at Bud like never before, and the old fart was a bit shell shocked. He knew damn well what kind of sensationalism he was going for when he added Venus in the interview. He knew exactly the response he wanted to get, and Serena did not dissapoint but she also let him know to fuck off in so many words.

He was dissed and his ego was a bit bruised. I doubt that random fans come up to him saying, "Are the Williams declining?" with baited breath. I just don't think he's being honest when he makes that statement, but people will believe him anyways.:rolleyes:
Bud is fake like the rest of them. I don't buy his act for a second either.
wait... you DON'T think tennis journalists are getting questions regularly about whether venus and serena are declining?

harloo
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:54 AM
wait... you DON'T think tennis journalists are getting questions regularly about whether venus and serena are declining?
Did I say tennis journalists? Bud claims that people come up to him at random and ask if the sister's are declining? I don't believe him, but you can take his word for it. Journalists are different, we know they like sensationalism, just like old Bud.:lol:

faboozadoo15
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Did I say tennis journalists? Bud claims that people come up to him at random and ask if the sister's are declining? I don't believe him, but you can take his word for it. Journalists are different, we know they like sensationalism, just like old Bud.:lol:
i wish i could play back the tape bc what i got from it was-- "people are contantly asking me" not necessarily oming up to him, which indeed would be a ridiculous thing to picture. whichever, i'm sure he's being questioned a lot about it. a lot of people want his opinion on everything tennis related, and they are a hot topic of fan conversation.

harloo
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:00 AM
i wish i could play back the tape bc what i got from it was-- "people are contantly asking me" not necessarily oming up to him, which indeed would be a ridiculous thing to picture. whichever, i'm sure he's being questioned a lot about it. a lot of people want his opinion on everything tennis related, and they are a hot topic of fan conversation.
Maybe I interpreted it wrong, but that's what he seemed to be saying to me. I don't understand why would journalist come up to him asking him if the sisters are declining. They are sports writers and follow tennis regularly.

TM
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:52 AM
OMG i saw that after - or what was during? - Linzi and Molik match...

Bud...you naughty prune :p

Good answer from Serena though, I felt like if I was a Williams Sister I would been like 'You have no right and no dignity to ask me something like that....You know I outta smack you upside the head. ;)'

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Naughty Bud! http://smileys.******************/cat/4/4_2_111v.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS) http://smileys.******************/cat/355v.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS)
:lol: :lol: Thats looks just like Bud Collins! ;) :p

Knizzle
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Show me where LD or Cappy have been asked that question? Or Andre Agassi?

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Show me where LD or Cappy have been asked that question? Or Andre Agassi?
They probably started asking Andre that question reguarly when he was ranked in the 100's :lol: I do not believe they were asking him the question reguarly, ad naseum when he was in the top ten. I don't think they are asking him the question today and by his standards if you just go by his titles his game is declining. :tape:

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:03 PM
his job is to make things interesting. the public isn't going to care about an interview 100% about the match just played and the upcoming match. players are asked all the time about things that have absolutely nothing to do about the match... boyfriends... outside interests, etc. judging from her reaction, she's been getting the question a lot, so why is it so shocking that bud would ask her?

anyway, i think it was a tad inappropriate, as the question really only applies to venus. but he got what he want from it... serena told him the fuck off which should shut the media up for a bit.
Sorry d-love I missed this last night. ;)

Yes, you are right that people probably asked that question a bazillion times which makes Bud's statement that people were wondering even more dubious....if they've been asked the question a lot and refuse to answer he knew that was not up for discussion. He probably just figured since Serena won a match and was probably in good spirits he would slip it in or something.

Anyway, the fact that he took his butt on tv to explain himself makes me think he's scared they will shut him out ala Michael Jordan and the press..:lol:

LeRoy.
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:04 PM
The Williams sisters , like all other "once great" players are declining. I don't see nothing wrong re. getting questioned about it. I thought Serena's response to the question was good too.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:06 PM
teehee :lol:

lizchris
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:12 PM

I don't remember anyone asking Lindsay that question in 2002, 2003 or 2004.

DA FOREHAND
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:29 PM

You mean like Monica constantly saying she wants to win another slam, and get in better shape yet never getting fit enough to compete w/the best of the best?

Bud Collins is an icon and a gentleman. I met him in Boston during FedCup, great guy, but the question would have been more appropriate to ask of Venus, I'm glad he asked Serena, because she doesn't mince words, and she shut him down.

icequeen
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:29 PM

For your information fuck head hater she is the best player in the world.

icequeen
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:31 PM

She is a damn 6 time GS champion what more do you want for her to prove that she is the best. Why didn't he ask that question to Lindsay and Jennifer.

icequeen
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:34 PM
i dunno, i can see how it would get annoying... but if lindsay went over a year with only making ONE slam QF, she would be asked with each passing slam she underperforms in if she is declining. even agassi fields these questions, sampras did, seles did, graf did. <-- some of those players never had ruts as big as the williams sisters find themselves in right now-- at least not until the twilight years of their careers. it comes with the territory. it can be a bit antagonistic, but it also gives rise to a good opportunity.

What ruts you ass the girls were injured and had a death in their family. You are a hateful heartless bitch.

the cat
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:38 PM
I'm sure Lindsay was asked that question many times, Liz. It's not a big deal to ask that question. Serena handled herself well disagreeing with the question from Bud Collins and she answered the question rationally. But it's about time tennis journalists started asking the tennis players some tough questions instead of the usual creampuff questions.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:12 PM
I'm sure Lindsay was asked that question many times, Liz. It's not a big deal to ask that question. Serena handled herself well disagreeing with the question from Bud Collins and she answered the question rationally. But it's about time tennis journalists started asking the tennis players some tough questions instead of the usual creampuff questions.
There's nothing tough or new about that question and I disagree about Lindsay being asked that question alot. I don't think so. If I go by the commentary of her matches it wasn't that big of an issue for the tennis community.

icequeen, what's up with all the cursing? :confused:

the cat
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:16 PM
I don't see why that question can't be asked by Bud Collins. :shrug: He likes the Williams sisters so he should be allowed to ask a non creampuff question. And he's Bud Collins who has tennis in his blood.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:22 PM
I don't see why that question can't be asked by Bud Collins. :shrug: He likes the Williams sisters so he should be allowed to ask a non creampuff question. And he's Bud Collins who has tennis in his blood.
one, because it's not true of Serena

two, because Serena isn't Venus

three, because he's asked it before along with many others. Was there suppose to be a new answer this time?

the cat
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:38 PM
No Rockie there is no new answer and Serena was a pro and didn't lash out at Bud even though she was annoyed by the question. Serena talked about injuries as being the main reason for the struggles of her and Venus and I agree with her. And how is the question not relevant to Serena? Sure she's better than Venus but her game has slipped a bit in the last year or so. And that lengthy knee injury is to blame for that and I readily admit that. By the way Tiger Woods gets asked this question alot these days. No athletes are immune to being asked by their performance has slipped.

Sanneriet
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Pete Sampras was repeatedly asked similar types of questions prior to winning the 2002 US Open and retiring. I did not really like him that much, but really began to feel for him after awhile. I do think that the Williams sisters have not been given enough credit for how they have handled what happened to their sister.

the cat
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Very true Sann. We know Serena knee injury and Venus' abdominal injury were pysical setbacks to them. But it's impossible to measure what their sister Yetunde's murder did to them. :sad:

godin_ussr
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:56 PM
well venus tennis has declined.........just look at her results....so whats the big deal about the question?!?!?

godin_ussr
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:57 PM
For your information fuck head hater she is the best player in the world.

:lol: imagine this response from the user named icequeen :rolleyes:

Knizzle
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Bud asked Venus at FO 2003 "Where has your game gone??" Venus looked at him like he was an idiot. I guess we saw just how "gone" her game was a couple weeks at Wimbledon. Bud Collins wants to pick with the sisters, that's it.

Denise4925
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Are you kidding me? Agassi was in a bigger rut, because he was out of the top 100 and had to start playing challengers. I won't mention Seles, she's not but one or two years older than the No. 1 player, so she is not in the twilight years of her career. I think Seles could make a comeback if she would get fit enough and make the committment. Jennifer went down, came back up and went down again. After coming back and winning two AO GS back to back, she didn't win another title for a year and a half. No one asked if her career was on the decline. Lindsay was playing so badly that she herself thought her career was on the decline, so much so that she was seriously contemplating retirement. I think the journalists like to nit pick the sisters and fail to ever give them the credit they deserve or the benefit of the doubt as they do so many others.

godin_ussr
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Bud asked Venus at FO 2003 "Where has your game gone??" Venus looked at him like he was an idiot. I guess we saw just how "gone" her game was a couple weeks at Wimbledon. Bud Collins wants to pick with the sisters, that's it.

so venus will win Wimbledon this year........interesting

Knizzle
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:15 PM
so venus will win Wimbledon this year........interesting
She will?? That's great!! Thanks for letting me know that.

Sanneriet
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I also think that the Williams sisters are both benefitted by, and plagued by, the fact that they are sisters. Journalists treat them as if they are interchangeable. They feel very free to ask questions to one about the other, that they would never ask regarding two unrelated players on the tour. I do think other players are hounded about aspects of their lives. Remember Capriati breaking down in tears during an interview, when asked for the millionth time, about her teenage troubles? She finally had to flat out refuse to answer any questions regarding it. I also think women are more likely to be asked personal questions than men.

godin_ussr
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:40 PM
She will?? That's great!! Thanks for letting me know that.

so you had NO confidence in her......

CC
Jan 27th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Sorry d-love I missed this last night. ;)

Yes, you are right that people probably asked that question a bazillion times which makes Bud's statement that people were wondering even more dubious....if they've been asked the question a lot and refuse to answer he knew that was not up for discussion. He probably just figured since Serena won a match and was probably in good spirits he would slip it in or something.

Anyway, the fact that he took his butt on tv to explain himself makes me think he's scared they will shut him out ala Michael Jordan and the press..:lol:
I went to bed - what was his explanation? :)

Knizzle
Jan 27th, 2005, 12:04 AM
so you had NO confidence in her......
Had?? Why are you using the past tense??

VS Fan
Jan 27th, 2005, 12:25 AM
What's missing here is that Lindsay also had a decline from 2000 to 2003, always, ALWAYS, the media acknowledged that her struggle with injuries contributed to the decline. Lindsay came back STRONG in 2004 and it is continuing.

However, the SAME media seems to dismiss the fact that Venus AND Serena had major injuries in 2003-2004, that affected their ability to compete as well early in their return to play.

It is also true that other players have improved, making the slams much more competitive.

Rocketta
Jan 27th, 2005, 01:06 AM
I went to bed - what was his explanation? :)
That people were asking him and he thought it had to be asked. He thought Serena's answer was good. Brad told him he should've asked it of Venus not Serena and Bud admitted that he did ask Venus.

I don't know I don't expect to see any on court or off court interviewing of a Williams in Bud Collins' future. ;)

Melly Flew Us
Jan 27th, 2005, 01:21 AM
this thread is frsutrating for lazy people trying to catch up. now i gotta open another window. its discrimination.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 27th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Was it really such a hard question? Bud probably thought he was doing Serena almost a favour giving her a good chance to state her viewpoint clearly and robustly for the record - as she did. The fact is that people do speculate unfairly about the Williams sisters being washed up, so here was Serena's opportunity to confront the issue directly in a favourable environment after she'd just won an important match.

Maybe he didn't expect her to be quite as robust in reply as she was ;) , but I don't assume his motives were malicious.

CC
Jan 27th, 2005, 07:06 PM
That people were asking him and he thought it had to be asked. He thought Serena's answer was good. Brad told him he should've asked it of Venus not Serena and Bud admitted that he did ask Venus.

I don't know I don't expect to see any on court or off court interviewing of a Williams in Bud Collins' future. ;)

Thanks. The thing is each sister is more likely to defend the other than herself, so he probably wouldn't have been snapped at if it was Venus. ;)

TM
Jan 27th, 2005, 07:48 PM

:lol: :lol: He's one of those close talkers--all up in your face like that episode on Seinfeld with Elaine's bf.

I vaguely remember the interviews with the Williams Sisters where their facial expressions were like ...eww please don't touch me..:lol: :p