PDA

View Full Version : Alicia Molik will be at Top5 by the end of 2005

iLUVTBJ
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:10 AM
I have no doubt about it!!!! :)

She has the physique...
She has the serve... (You can say the best in today's womens game)
She has the forehand...
She has the movement...
She has the mental toughness... (What a fighter! All being shown at today's match against Lindsay Davenport!)

My Top5 picks at the end of 2005:
Lindsay Davenport
Serena Williams
Maria Sharapova
Alicia Molik
Amelie Mauresmo

Jan 26th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Her serve is great (she hit like 50 aces total at the Aussie...which is a slow surface). I agree with your list. Maybe Serena as #1.

Huntress555
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Agreed, She will be in the top 5, provided there is no injuries *touch wood*! :):)

She has the game, and its only improving, just sort out the backhand...and shes got it. I mean she did hit some great bh's today though :):)

Lemonskin.
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:17 AM
Yep...Along with Sam Stosur, I think 2005 could be the Year of the Aussie :)

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:18 AM

She has the physique...
She has the forehand...
She has the movement...
She has the mental toughness... (What a fighter! All being shown at today's match against Lindsay Davenport!)

Lindsay Davenport
Serena Williams
Maria Sharapova
Alicia Molik
Amelie Mauresmo
Totally agreed unless KIM AND JUSTINE can get back by the FRENCH :D

St.Sebastian
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Second that :yeah:

Go Alicia!!!!

Grachka
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Very possible, such a great match today.

Her backhand really isn't that bad, its not a weapon, but its not a huge weakness.

HotSpot
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:33 AM
as long as Lindsay and the Williams at top 3.. i don't mind

Jan 26th, 2005, 04:34 AM
Very possible, such a great match today.

Her backhand really isn't that bad, its not a weapon, but its not a huge weakness.

It just lands a little short sometimes. It's not as bad as Elena's serve.

vettipooh
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Molik def. has the potential to be top 5. From what I'm watching now,she's a heck of a fighter!!! Giving LD a run for her money....even if LD won(tape delay), I think Molik made a statement to the rest of the tour!!!

BK4ever
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:44 AM
I hope she is :)

side note: I'm watching the match now and Alicia hit and ace to go up 8-7 smack on the middle of the line and they called it out...i hope no one tells her about that ;)

abbygael
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:56 AM
hmm, Yes she can but I still see her in the top 6 to 10 because my top 5 list for year end 2005 are as follows.

1. Davenport
2. Sharapova
3. Henin
4. Serena
5. Clijsters

6to10: Mauresmo,Myskina,Molik,Kutznetsova

I see a decline now for Capriati and Venus, I hope I'm wrong but I dont see any progress at all with these two from rescent performances.

Princess Sarah.
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Alicia Rocks! She will definately be top 5! WOOT! :yeah:

Asmus
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Top 5 definitely possibility, but only with injuries at the top... if Serena, Venus, Henin-Hardenne, Clijsters, and Hingis were all healthy she wouldn't get much higher than where she is now.

Zhao
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:16 AM
if she can put more work on her backhand side...she's going to achieve even more...
Good luck Molik :)

Jamesss
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Don't think Alicia would be too concerned about improving her ranking once again. She seems like a results type of person. That said, you'd have to assume that there is better to come, and that her ranking will follow.

Prizeidiot
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Maybe, top 10 for sure though.

broncosven
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Definately

She doesnt have much to defend in the first half of year and with good showings at French and Wimbly . . . . .

lindsayno1
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:34 AM
i like alicia! i hope she beats masha soon!

Andy.
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Top 5 will be tough she will definatly finish top 10 baring injury. She is compeditive with everyone now so she has every chance. And is it really necessary to thow in that comment about Masha, soem people any chance they get will have a shot at her. :rolleyes:

Chunchun
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:56 AM
maybe :rolleyes:

_LuCaS_
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Top 5 indeed is pretty hard. You have to beat some top 5 players to get there ;)
And let's not forget Alicia played on her favourite surface, at home. I say we wait the RG and then jump to conclusions. Anyway congrats Molik, you're a real fighter

Rollo
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:58 AM
The backhand is still weak-too often that down the line shot is feet wide.

Her movement is a tad bit suspect.

And she doesn't come to net nearly as often as she should. That alone played a key in her loss to Davenport.

Hopefully she'll improve in those areas and keep going up-love her attitude and work ethic:)

Doraemon
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:01 AM
maybe :rolleyes:

Just because Alicia is a better player than your beloved Demented doesn't mean you can roll your bloody eyes at such a positive, encourging thread! Go and fuck off already! This thread is absolutely off limit for trolls!

Rachel
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Just because Alicia is a better player than your beloved Demented doesn't mean you can roll your bloody eyes at such a positive, encourging thread! Go and fuck off already! This thread is absolutely off limit for trolls!
^^^^ well said :worship: :)

Yes, I agree with what everyone's said it this thread - 2005 is going to be a big year for Alicia, and top 5 seems definitely obtainable! :D

random_dude
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:39 AM
lol hes hated alicia ever since she cained demented in the first round of the olympics!

Chunchun
Jan 26th, 2005, 11:50 AM
OMG Saint Seiya is speaking for LenaD :bolt: :bolt: :eek:

Grohl
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:14 PM
no doubt about it!

~Rachel~
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Agreed :banana:

Apparently Margaret Court said she could become No. 1 :D

DA FOREHAND
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:05 PM

She has the physique...
She has the forehand...
She has the movement...

Lindsay Davenport
Serena Williams
Maria Sharapova
Alicia Molik
Amelie Mauresmo

I think Alicia, still needs to work on her return, movement, and her backhand. They said she's a better mover than Lindsay, but I don't think that was evidenced in thier match. The weakest part of her game is that backhand...ugh!

DA FOREHAND
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:08 PM
The backhand is still weak-too often that down the line shot is feet wide.

Her movement is a tad bit suspect.

And she doesn't come to net nearly as often as she should. That alone played a key in her loss to Davenport.

Hopefully she'll improve in those areas and keep going up-love her attitude and work ethic:)

Totally agree w/this assesment. It took her a full set and a half before she made one approach to the net, although she had many oppurtunities. If her movement and backhand were a little stronger she could have taken that match.

thelittlestelf
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:12 PM
She won't be in the top 5 until she fixes that backhand :tape:. It really is bad.

Other than that, she is a very solid player.

abbygael
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:21 PM
regular top 5 player material barring injuries:

Lindsay Davenport
Serena Williams
Justine Henin
Kim Clijsters
Maria Sharapova

Could get there:
Kutznetsova
Myskina
Capriati
Mauresmo- she is there because of injuries by the first 5.

One thing in common for these players: Strong serve,strong backhand,strong forehand.

Molik lacks one of those at the moment, the backhand.
Venus forehand took her out of that list but she could easily get back there once her forehand goes ok.

To be a regular top 5, you should not have an obious weakness coz other players would just attacked it. I knew Venus would want to attack it but she cant coz her forehand is unreliable nowadays.

serenafan08
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:50 PM
I'm starting to think that she can be top five as well. I really like her - she's a great player and gracious in both win and loss. If she can get some more pop on her backhand - watch out!!!!! She's a refreshing player; the game needs more players like her!

khyber
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I'm starting to think that she can be top five as well. I really like her - she's a great player and gracious in both win and loss. If she can get some more pop on her backhand - watch out!!!!! She's a refreshing player; the game needs more players like her!
Agree, and I think it must be exciting for the Australian tennis public to finally have a woman in contention again. :bounce:

jonny84
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I agree that she can become Top5 by the end of the year, definitley going by her current form. She does need to work hard to defend her points from the Autumn (Olympics Bronze, which she cant technically defend; plus Luxembourg and Zurich).

If she can carry on this form and remember that she will always be seeded now in any event for a while there is no reason why she cant do this.

snowfox
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:52 PM
i def agree with all comments made above what a statement she made to the rest of the locker room against ld.the whole crowd were into that game what an atmospphere.

Geisha
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I don't know. I mean, right now she's doing well- I mean, she's in Australia, her home turf, and she's been really hot coming in. But, how will she live up to the expectations after the Australian Open, in Miami- Lindsay, Venus, Serena all play well there. Will she be able to do any damage on Clay? On Grass, her record is terrible, but her serve will be effective.

And will she be able to defend the points she gained at the end of her spectacular 2004 season. I just think it's a little too early to really tell how she'll fair for the rest of the season.