PDA

View Full Version : Did Molik produce her best tennis for the AO because ...

RVD
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:07 AM
This is her home crowd? Or does she really have game?
I only ask because, most players do well when playing for a big match in their own back yard, then horribly everywhere else. I know she's been doing great for the last couple of months, but is she #1 material?

HONESTLY?

beauty_is_pink
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:09 AM
I think. both.

Jan 26th, 2005, 04:10 AM
She has played well before. This was clearly no fluke event. She can only get better from here.

Huntress555
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Shes no# 1 material. THat was not her best, she still has heaps to improve and will get better. The crowd did lift her , yes, but she can still win without the support. She broken into the top 10, one of the commentators said. So shes going to continue to climb teh rankings :):)

RVD
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:11 AM
I think. both.I'm gonna have to watch out for her then. Seriously, if that's the case, then judging from the way she played Lindsay, I think she will overtake the Russians fairly quickly.

Jan 26th, 2005, 04:13 AM
I'm gonna have to watch out for her then. Seriously, if that's the case, then judging from the way she played Lindsay, I think she will overtake the Russians fairly quickly.

What a certain Russian wouldn't give to have her serve :devil:

elena :hearts:

Volcana
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:13 AM
She has enough ability to win a slam. Which doesn't mean she will. Mary Jo Fernandez had the ability to win a slam. And lost three finals. #1, though? Kim and Amelie not withstanding, it's a lot harder to become #1.

Look at it this way. In the open era, how many #1's have there been, and how many GS winners?

DutchieGirl
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:17 AM
Yeah I think it'll be hard for Alicia to get to #1, but she can play. She won 2 or 3 events at the end of last year, plus Olympics bronze, and now making the QF at the AO. I think that shows she can play. :D

Odd
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:17 AM
We can only hope she takes the form she has had over the summer and expands on it and one day maybe, that slam will happen. She still has a little work to do though.

As for number one, i think she can potentially come very close. She would need a bit of luck/injury to get it, but top 5 is definately a realistic goal imo.

RVD
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Molik has truly peaked my interest. :)
Lindsay's no pushover, and she hung with her like it was nothing!
Breaking Lindsay ain't easy, with her power and accuracy.
Okay, she's on my "Watch out for this chick" list. :lol:

Lemonskin.
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Molik has played some of the best tennis of her life in this 2005 Australian tour, because she's better now that she ever has been before :)

vettipooh
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Home crowd's a factor, but she def. has game!!! She'll be a contender at upcomig tournys.

RVD
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Molik has played some of the best tennis of her life in this 2005 Australian tour, because she's better now that she ever has been before :)Sounds like she's one of those dangerous 'late bloomers'. I wouldn't mind seeing her win a few slams. Not over Serena and Venus of course. ;) But I'd cheer for her. :lol:

Lemonskin.
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Martina Navratilova is certain that she'll remain top-10 for quite some time.

She also says she'll certainly advance further than the QF's in a grand slam this year.

random_dude
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:25 AM
she has been playing this well since after wimbledon last yr, and has the results to prove it.

DutchieGirl
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:26 AM
Home crowd's a factor, but she def. has game!!! She'll be a contender at upcomig tournys.
:scratch: She didn't have a home crowd when she won bronze in Athens, nor when she won Stockhom, Zurich or Luxembourg last year.

RVD
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:29 AM
she has been playing this well since after wimbledon last yr, and has the results to prove it.But this is the farthest she's ever gone in a major before. Not only that, but the way she did it was impressive.

BK4ever
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:31 AM
I saw Molik a few years ago and instantly thought, with a lot of hard work, this girl can really be something...it took her a while but its finally coming together :)

What I admired most about her tonight was how relaxed she was...MP down...she tee's off on a FH return...big things are on the horizon for her...

peanuts
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:36 AM
the crowd obviously helped her but i think she really has the game. a slam is possible. i don't know about the #1. volcana is right, winning a slam is one thing but reaching #1 takes a lot in a player. a slam is for just two weeks, the #1 ranking is a full-year performance. we'll see. :) with molik now in the top 10, this is going to be a much more interesting year. a new contender and she's not russian :eek: :lol:

DutchieGirl
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:43 AM
this is going to be a much more interesting year. a new contender and she's not russian :eek: :lol: Thank God! ;) I'm sick of all the Russians and Americans in the top 20! :p

peanuts
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Thank God! ;) I'm sick of all the Russians and Americans in the top 20! :p

yep i like the russians and the americans but its about time we have some variety. :lol: its starting to get boring with the same players meeting at the later stages of slams and tourneys ;)

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:03 AM
I think she is the real deal and can only get better!!!

gossipcom
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:13 AM
A bit of both - she's shown probably since the Athens Olympics she can match it with the best - this was not to be her day today, but she showed she'll be around for many years to come :)

And finally us Aussies cheer that we've got a women's singles player in the top 10!

DutchieGirl
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:45 AM
yep i like the russians and the americans but its about time we have some variety. :lol: its starting to get boring with the same players meeting at the later stages of slams and tourneys ;)
Totally agree! ;)

Prizeidiot
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:19 AM
I'll go with the general flow... a bit of both. The crowd certainly helped, but she played some good tennis overseas at the end of last year.

Andy_
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Well, #1 material - as ReeVeeDynasty puts it - might be too much, at least at the moment... but Alicia's definitely raised her level at the end of last season, with her wins in Zurich and Luxembourg, and she's managed to stay up there, in terms of consistency, fitness, power, game variety with the beginning of 2005. She's had some good matches at the Hopman Cup, she's won Sydney and reached her first Slam QF, plus played an epic match with the present #1 player.

So I don't think it has to do with geography, and I'm expecting and hoping that Alicia is be able to maintain this quality now. Of course she can have a bad result here and there, but who doesn't... yet I'm happy we have a new contestant for titles, and she brings something different with her game, so that's absolutely great for me :D

vertigo
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:01 AM
This girl is a slam winner. Her game is fierce, she's aggressive and can hit and stay along side the best. Things will go up from here. Plus this girl should be the new spokesperson for the WTA as she so articulate, endearing and seems to have such a great time out there on the tennis court.