PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams discusses half-sister's shooting death

Veegeta
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Serena Williams discusses half-sister's shooting death

By DENNIS PASSA, Associated Press Writer
January 25, 2005
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- Her voice catching, Serena Williams spoke Tuesday at the Australian Open about how she and older sister Venus were affected by the shooting death of their half-sister Yetunde Price in September 2003.

She said that loss and a series of injuries contributed to a mediocre-by-their-standards season in 2004.

``We have a very, very, very, very, very close family,'' Serena said. ``To be in some situation that we've been placed in the past little over a year -- it's not easy to come out and just perform at your best when you realize there are so many things that are so important.''

She bristled when asked whether her and Venus' tennis skills are declining, and whether she needs to win this tournament to prove they aren't.

``I'm tired of not saying anything, but that's not fair,'' Serena snapped. ``We've been practicing really hard. We've had some serious injuries.''

She spoke after beating No. 2 Amelie Mauresmo 6-2, 6-2 to set up a semifinal showdown with Maria Sharapova, who upset Williams in last year's Wimbledon final.

The Williams sisters used to take turns at Nos. 1 and 2 in the rankings. But after Venus' abdominal tear and Serena's knee surgery in 2003, they fell out of the top 10. Serena was seeded seventh at the Australian Open, Venus eighth (she lost to Alicia Molik in the fourth round).

The siblings own a total of 10 major singles titles, but last season was the first since 1998 that neither won a Slam.

``I've had surgery, and after surgery I got to the finals of Wimbledon. I don't know too many people that have done that,'' Serena said.

``I don't have to win this tournament to prove anything. I know that I'm out here and I know that I'm one of the best players out here.''

Veegeta
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Whats up with this "half" stuff?

Opalgirl02
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:19 AM
That sportswriter is ridicuious Serena DID NOT discuss the death of her sister, Yetunde with any commentator. That is something both Serena and Venus refused to do and told the commentator Not to asked them any questions regard their sister death. This is what was said "We have a very, very very very very close family "Serena said "to be in some situation that we've been placed in the past little over a year-- it is not easy to come out and perform etc etc. That sportwriter had nothing to write about so he thought he will bring this up before her Semi match.

A course that what she was referring to, her sister death but there was no discussion. It is SO SAD how sportswriterS turn people statements around.

tennnisfannn
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:22 AM
I was also thinking about how tough this year must have been for amelie too. She ended 2003 playing well, was getting into form and also lost her dad. That girl has been dealing with alot, she just doesn't mention it much. She doesn't deserve the rap she gets from both real critics andthe wannabes on this board.

xr6turbo
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Yetunde wasn't their full sister, all the sisters share the same mother.. But Venus and Serena are the only two children that Richard and Oracene had together.

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Yetunde wasn't their full sister, all the sisters share the same mother.. But Venus and Serena are the only two children that Richard and Oracene had together.

True, but at the end of the day that was just their sister. It always amazes me why the media makes it a must to mention the "half" part like it matters.

xr6turbo
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:47 AM
True, but at the end of the day that was just their sister. It always amazes me why the media makes it a must to mention the "half" part like it matters.
Yeah of course.. i wasnt trying to say they didnt love her as much or anything like that... i was just answering the question.. I know that they all love each other equally.. :)

Infiniti2001
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:48 AM

It bugs me too, but in the US they stress it. Where I'm from nobody cares whether or not siblings share the same parents. They're brother/s and sister/s period :p

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Yeah of course.. i wasnt trying to say they didnt love her as much or anything like that... i was just answering the question.. I know that they all love each other equally.. :)

Oh I know not you, the media. Every single report, it's "half" and I'm always shaking my head.

RVD
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:07 AM
That sportswriter is ridicuious Serena DID NOT discuss the death of her sister, Yetunde with any commentator. That is something both Serena and Venus refused to do and told the commentator Not to asked them any questions regard their sister death. This is what was said "We have a very, very very very very close family "Serena said "to be in some situation that we've been placed in the past little over a year-- it is not easy to come out and perform etc etc. That sportwriter had nothing to write about so he thought he will bring this up before her Semi match.

A course that what she was referring to, her sister death but there was no discussion. It is SO SAD how sportswriterS turn people statements around.Thank you for clarafying this piece for me Opalgirl02. I was about to ask why the media ALWAYS attempt to throw Venus and Serena off their game by asking these stupid questions right before an important match. Pfff...