PDA

View Full Version : !!!!!!***(1)Davenport Defeats (10)Molik 4-6 6-4 9-7***!!!!!!

PhoenixStorm
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:46 AM
First.

Does this mean Molik should now retire, get a new coach, or work on her serve?

Congrats to both for a well played match.

Now GO DECHY GO SERENA!

RVD
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Nah. Her skin isn't dark enough. :tape:
:lol:

UDiTY
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:49 AM
OMG LINDSAY!!!!:bounce:

I have never ever been more into a Lindsay match when she wasn't playing one of my faves. She is just such a wondeful woman and really deserves to do well here. I AM SOO HAPPY FOR HER!!! Lindsay/Serena FINAL!!!

Both times serving for the match down 15-40, wow, this is really the type of match she is used to losing. She never fights this well. LINDSAY CONGRATS!!! I am impressed.:D

Great run ALicia, you'll be back!!!

PhoenixStorm
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Dechy has no chance in the semi:sad:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:52 AM
Nah. Her skin isn't dark enough. :tape:
:lol:
Neither is your sense of humor :tape:

PhoenixStorm
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Neither is your sense of humor :tape:
c'mon that was funny.:lol:

PhoenixStorm
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Will lindsay pull out of the doubles thats the question now.

Purple_Llama
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Great match with two superb players both on & off the court. COngrats Lindsay & I hope you go all the way now Patty is out :)

Odd
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:00 AM
What a great match.

Got scrappy at times, but it allways looked like the it was gonna be won on Lindsays racket. You still have to admire the fight that Alicia showed, and hopefully this time next year Lindsay will be sailing the carribean, pension in hand and tons of memories to look back on and alicia will be on her way to the 06 open.

PhoenixStorm
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:07 AM
What a great match.

Got scrappy at times, but it allways looked like the it was gonna be won on Lindsays racket. You still have to admire the fight that Alicia showed, and hopefully this time next year Lindsay will be sailing the carribean, pension in hand and tons of memories to look back on and alicia will be on her way to the 06 open.
I cant wait to hear what the commentators have to say now.

fammmmedspin
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:27 AM
Dechy has no chance in the semi:sad:

Dechy shouldn't have won her 3R, 4R or QF either on form (Myskina and Schiavone had it at the Hopman, Patty has had it all year), recent matches (fed Cup final) or H2Hs. She shouldn't have won today on her stats.

She did though because she hit the ball in when it mattered and kept on trying. Given Lindsay blows red hot and freezing, nothing is impossible. More so if Lindsay plays her doubles match......

flyingmachine
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Dechy shouldn't have won her 3R, 4R or QF either on form (Myskina and Schiavone had it at the Hopman, Patty has had it all year), recent matches (fed Cup final) or H2Hs. She shouldn't have won today on her stats.

She did though because she hit the ball in when it mattered and kept on trying. Given Lindsay blows red hot and freezing, nothing is impossible. More so if Lindsay plays her doubles match......
I just hope it will be a great match. :drool:

tennnisfannn
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:55 AM
First.

Does this mean Molik should now retire, get a new coach, or work on her serve?

Congrats to both for a well played match.

Now GO DECHY GO SERENA!Wally Masur kept saying after venus' lost that Venus hadn't done her homework on alicia! I wonder if he did his on lindsay seeing he is like alicia'c mentor.

TFan1156
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Such a great match...can't help but be pissed though that that 3rd aced that would have secured the 8th game for Molik was called a fault.

I like both players though so no hard feelings.

Dead on the line as the technology confirmed. That stunk as the game was rightfully over. But these things happen unfortunately. Molik won a lot of new fans including me. Great job Alicia. :D

gossipcom
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Awesome match - I was too nervous to watch it - so I'll watch it tonight when it's repeated on Fox Sports :)

Loved Lindsay's post-match on-court interview *g*

PatM04
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Great win Lindsay:)

tom2791
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:33 AM
The match of the year so far

I wanted Alicia to win but well done Lindsay

gossipcom
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Did anyone mention that Lindsay win today was her 50th win at Melbourne Park and she is the first person male or female to achieve that honour.

*Jool*
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:41 AM
OMG ! Lindsay ! CONGRATS!
Fortunately, I haven't seen the match, wd have been too stressed :p

GO take that slam crown Lindsay !! :banana:

Sadka
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:41 AM
:eek: What a match !!

@m@nd@
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:42 AM
molik played well i think. she always had a positive attitude...unlike someone

abbygael
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Did anyone mention that Lindsay win today was her 50th win at Melbourne Park and she is the first person male or female to achieve that honour.

Great achievement indeed!!!! Well Done Lindsay!!!

This is really one of the best match in years, gamewise. There's no such drama about complaining, injury timeouts, delays, etc..... Its just all tennis, bringing the best tennis from each other. It actually like a men's match in the third set where you would'nt know who's gonna have a chance to break first.

Congrats on both!!!!!

Go Lindsay, take the well deserve title now.

My only regrets to this match is the crowd. If they could have been more fair to Lindsay, I just hear them applausing Lindsay's double faults. But hey, who can blame them? Its the first Aussie women there in years.

TM
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Linzi, I love you!!! ;) The Original Big Babe :kiss: Hit it and walk away....pure as silk.
*Best winning reaction that made me LoL :D

Congrats Alicia, nice girl with good things to come. Great fight to break back and even to a 9-7 final score.

gossipcom
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:26 AM
That's what JA said to her in the on-court post-match interview - that she's a favourite here but since she was against an Aussie :)

I just watched Molik's post-match press conference on Fox Sports - very good press conference - very kind words for Lindsay.

azza
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:32 AM
it was 6-4 4-6 9-7

vutt
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Great. Now go Lindsay and win the whole thing !!!

Andy.
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Well done Linsay what a great match. Good luck next round. And alicia well done for a great Tournament and start to the year.

Chunchun
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:59 AM
:banana:

foreva lindsay
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:00 AM
:woohoo:

Rachel
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Well done to Lindsay on the victory!!! :)
I'm off to watch the tape of the match now -- heard bits of the second and the last of the third set on the radio ;) also a big WD to Alicia on her terrific Open campaign - here's to a great year! :D

loveactually
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:13 AM
well done, Lindsay

daniela86
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:16 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: what a fight from molik!! congrats to both players for that fantastic match!!! :kiss: :hug: :) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: i'm really very impressed by alicia, she really dserves to be in top 10 at least! :) :)

lindsayno1
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:18 AM
i think alicias ognna be my fave when Lindsay retires

chris whiteside
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:34 AM
What an Australian Open. Lindsay has looked good in one match match, mediocre in another. Being honest, both Serena Williams and Miss Sharapova have not really been playing well and can anyone put their hand on their heart and honestly say that at this stage last week they would have predicted Dechy to reach the semis?

But good for Lindsay. There's only one point in any tennis match that you simply must win - the last one - and that's what she did.

Davenport v Dechy looks like a complete mismatch - er, doesn't it?

Doc
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Unfortunately Alicia did a "Momo". Foughht hard for three sets and then lost the crucial points with missed serves and tentative shots.

Really, from her position in the 3rd set, and the crowd behind her, Molik should have won that match. Big missed opportunity. :(

Circe
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:25 AM
sigh.
i was really beginning to get into Molik's game. i've never paid much attention to her but today i thought i saw a real top class player out there. she fought hard, served beautifully, did everything right but messed up the crucial points. disappointing. very disappointing.

Gowza
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:38 AM
alicia had 2 break points to be up 2-0 in the 3rd and for a lot of the games in the 3rd where she had the breakpoint she was up 15-40 and lost the next 2 points to bring it back to deuce. alicia had her chances but didnt take them. i still think the backhand needs work tho. there were a few of them that she tried to hit hard but just dropped around the service line and werent penetrating. i would be ok with the backhand if she could use it to open up the court so the forehand could be used to finish off the point but atm her backhand doesnt really do that (at least not against the top players) and it doesnt have the power/placement/accuracy to get winners off.

she has improved it a whole heap but i still think it could use some work, even without it being a big weapon she is giving the top player tough matches but if she could improve it then it would make her matches a lot easier. also think she needs to get to net a bit more.

tobe
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Oh my!
I so believed Lindsay lost it after this pathetic service game being 5:4 up!!!
But she reayll proved me wrong! She chocked but put it together! Now take this title and no injury a la US OPEN vs. Kuznetsova in the semis!!!
Please be fit! Imagine Dechy in a slam final :eek:

joaco
Jan 26th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I'm so happy for you Lindsay. I really believe this is match YOU NEEDED TO WIN! It'll boost her confidence so much.
Hope she can rest tough. Tomorrow it'll be hard, but you know you can do it. Just got to get a higher 1st service percentage, and lower your unforced errors. Go LINDSAY!!!

Joaco

jenny161185
Jan 26th, 2005, 01:44 PM
wow great match I couldnt belive it when I saw the scoreline!

xan
Jan 26th, 2005, 01:59 PM
alicia had 2 break points to be up 2-0 in the 3rd and for a lot of the games in the 3rd where she had the breakpoint she was up 15-40 and lost the next 2 points to bring it back to deuce. alicia had her chances but didnt take them. i still think the backhand needs work tho. there were a few of them that she tried to hit hard but just dropped around the service line and werent penetrating. i would be ok with the backhand if she could use it to open up the court so the forehand could be used to finish off the point but atm her backhand doesnt really do that (at least not against the top players) and it doesnt have the power/placement/accuracy to get winners off. Yes. Good analysis. I thing this was the key statistic for the match.

-------------------------- . . . . Davenport (USA) . . . Molik (AUS)
Break Point Conversions . . . .. 5 of 9 = 56 % . . . . 4 of 15 = 27 %

Alicia engineered a lot more break points, but at the critical moments came off 2nd best to Lindsay.

she has improved it a whole heap but i still think it could use some work, even without it being a big weapon she is giving the top player tough matches but if she could improve it then it would make her matches a lot easier. also think she needs to get to net a bit more.Going to net was a bit I missed from her game. I'm sure I remember her going to net more in the past. But this time

Net Approaches . . . . . . . . . . . . 25 of 34 = 74 % . . . 9 of 12 = 75 %

Lindsay went to net far more.

thelittlestelf
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:16 PM
WOW!

GO LINDSAY!

I felt bad for Alicia, she really got screwed with a LOT of line calls.

Good luck next match Lindsay! I hope you're not too tired!

~Rachel~
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Great fight from Alicia, she has so much to be proud about from this AO :D

Now all she has to do is take revenge on Lindsay and win the women's doubles ;)

PS congrats to Lindsay for an unbelievable win, I hope she wins the tournament now!

serenafan08
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:55 PM
This match was fantastic. What a fight from Davenport to close it out, and was a coming out party for Alicia! I seriously think that everyone should watch out for Alicia - she's only going to get better from here and challenge everyone - including Serena and Venus.

R&J
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I also really enjoyed this match - good stuff! :yeah:
Very impressed with how well Alicia played.

LostInThe80s
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Great match! (wish there more like them :angel: )

lindsayno1
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:42 PM
i was so proud of lindsay. she was on her knees - looks like she was gonna keel over! but she held it together and did us lindsay fans proud!

irishgirl
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Is it right that Lindsay has just made the doubles final?! Huge congrats to both players. Alicia was fantastic and hopefully she can go on from here as for Davenport, what a performance! She was so crap at times but when she was really up against it she pulled it right out of the fire! When it went to a third set I thought with her eratic form and the heat that Molik would win out easily but great credit must go to Lindsay!