PDA

View Full Version : Which hyped player wont make it "BIG"

steve2005
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Im personally thinking Anna Chakvetadze, she hasnt done anything apart from beating Myskina. I think she may reach top 10 but thats it.

brunof
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:32 PM
I believe the bandwagon for Kutuzova has fallen apart. Shame. :o

Tichi
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:37 PM
I believe the bandwagon for Kutuzova has fallen apart. Shame. :o
Kuznetsova has ALREADY made it big, she owns a slam title.

blumaroo
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Was there any hype of Chavedkadze (sp)? Beating Myskina isn't even an amazing feat. I dont think Kirilenko will go far. Not too sure about Sesil either.

SelesFan70
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Na Li/Li Na :tape:

Pengwin
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Golovin

SzavayFi
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Im personally thinking Anna Chakvetadze, she hasnt done anything apart from beating Myskina. I think she may reach top 10 but thats it.
OMG no offence to her fans but th ere is no was Chakvetadze could get into the top ten, nooo way

mishar
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Kuznetsova has ALREADY made it big, she owns a slam title.
He's referring to Kutuzova (16 year old) rather than Kuznetsova.

Whatever happened to Viktoria anyway? I think it's a bit too early to give up on her.

I'm not sure the Chakvetadze hype is overwhelming. :lol: And to say that reaching the top 10 is failing to live up to the hype! :tape:

Usually when a young player is "hyped" as people say it's because they've accomplished something. They won't all continue to accomplish at that rate. In the Younger than Sharapova category, the most promising players are Kirilenko, Golovin, Vaidisova, Karatancheva, Krajicek, Kleybanova, Azarenka, Baszinsky, Kutuzova? Perhaps Kutuzova and Kleybanova have been disappointing recently.

Vaidisova is the one amidst the bunch I would be most confident about having a stellar career.

PatM04
Kuznetsova has ALREADY made it big, she owns a slam title.KUTUZOVA...not Kuznetsova.
I think Vika still has some time. She played this week in a 10k and won some 3 qualy matches and 2 MD matches loosing to the number 2 seed in 2 close sets. I think she needs to get rid of her father (former ping pong pro) as her coach and try out someone different. I remeber talking to her and she is VERY motivated to get to the top. Chris Evert said that she is extremely talented and going to be big one day. She is still 15 and I think this year will be the year she makes her big jump like some other girls did last year. Go VIKA! :bounce:

KV
Brunof means Vika Kutuzova. I see the above posters have already corrected it. Hard to answer the question, it all can change. But wouldn't put my money on Na Li. ATM.

Hayato
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I think Viktoriya got bored of tennis :lol:

JenFan75
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Golovin.

Mana
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Hantuchova

SzavayFi
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Hantuchova
Ahem, Hantuchova has ALREADY made it big......top 5 already my friend :rolleyes:

Mana
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Ahem, Hantuchova has ALREADY made it big......top 5 already my friend :rolleyes:

yeah...but she has the game, in my view, to be in the top 5 for much longer that she was. The amount of hype that that girl has around her you would think she was #1 or somthing. And she could be, there's so much talent there, just so many UE's too...:tape:

And you, being one of her fans know that;)

Gowza
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:07 AM
each player develops at different times, look at alicia molik, she is 23 or 24 and is only just starting to make a big mark on the tour. sharapova at 17 made her big mark, others like kuznetsova are around 19/20/21 when they make a mark on the tour. this makes it difficult to tell who will make it big and who wont because when you think a player is done because they havent made it by the age of 20 or something then they may just be a late bloomer.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Ivanovic is definately way overated & 'Aussie' Ferguson likewise if she counts as overhyped. Great prospects invariably have all the shots when they hit the tour but normally lack mental fortitude, but the above duo are both lacking in raw talent & seem a little flimsy upstairs - not a good combination.

No doubt when Ivanovic hits the top 5 by the end of the year I'll have to have a rethink but I'm certain about Ferguson, anyway the Aussies should be happy to have one great female player, maybe even the best in the world...

brunof
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:10 AM
He's referring to Kutuzova (16 year old) rather than Kuznetsova.

Whatever happened to Viktoria anyway? I think it's a bit too early to give up on her.

I'm not sure the Chakvetadze hype is overwhelming. :lol: And to say that reaching the top 10 is failing to live up to the hype! :tape:

Usually when a young player is "hyped" as people say it's because they've accomplished something. They won't all continue to accomplish at that rate. In the Younger than Sharapova category, the most promising players are Kirilenko, Golovin, Vaidisova, Karatancheva, Krajicek, Kleybanova, Azarenka, Baszinsky, Kutuzova? Perhaps Kutuzova and Kleybanova have been disappointing recently.

Vaidisova is the one amidst the bunch I would be most confident about having a stellar career.
Thanks for the correction. Yes, it wasn't a typo. I thought that Jarmila Gajdosova would have made a bigger leap in 2004, but I guess right now she isn't on top of her game.

Becool
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Don't see Nicole Vaidisova being that big..
Neither do Barbora Strycova and Maria Kirilenko..

Haven't seen Ivanovic..

Prizeidiot
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Strycova I think. Last year when I saw her, she had a very complete game and started the year off very well. But she's fallen away a bit... a really bad loss to Tanasugarn at the Open... I hope she proves me wrong though

Jakeev
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Ivanovic is definately way overated & 'Aussie' Ferguson likewise if she counts as overhyped. Great prospects invariably have all the shots when they hit the tour but normally lack mental fortitude, but the above duo are both lacking in raw talent & seem a little flimsy upstairs - not a good combination.

No doubt when Ivanovic hits the top 5 by the end of the year I'll have to have a rethink but I'm certain about Ferguson, anyway the Aussies should be happy to have one great female player, maybe even the best in the world...
I actually think you are wrong about Ana Ivanovic. Her game has improved drastically, and if her 7-1 main-draw record in Australia, which includes her first pro title, is of any indication, I think that gal is the real deal.

She is outstanding off both wings, pretty good serve and has a great attitude. If anything, I think she is underrated as a player.

But guess we have to see what 2005 brings her.

Grohl
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:14 AM
I think that depends on what other players do as well, if you're a good player but there are players that are better atm you're not gonna make it into the top 10, but at another point maybe you would have.
an example from tv:
davenport has been number 1 but went down a bit when the williams and the 2 belgian girls came, now that they're out, she get's to number 1 again.
nothing against davenport, absolutely not!
but a tenniscoach and explayer said it on belgian tv.

greenfunkTHREE.
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:15 AM
i dont know if you consider sania mirza? cos during the aussie open she was the first indian woman to reach 2nd round or something. and her play kinda bores me. dont know what you all think. but that's what i feel.

Tichi
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:37 AM
KUTUZOVA...not Kuznetsova.
I think Vika still has some time. She played this week in a 10k and won some 3 qualy matches and 2 MD matches loosing to the number 2 seed in 2 close sets. I think she needs to get rid of her father (former ping pong pro) as her coach and try out someone different. I remeber talking to her and she is VERY motivated to get to the top. Chris Evert said that she is extremely talented and going to be big one day. She is still 15 and I think this year will be the year she makes her big jump like some other girls did last year. Go VIKA! :bounce:
Ow sorry, i thought that it was again someone spelling a players name wrong. Thanks for the info on Kutuzova though.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Jan 26th, 2005, 11:05 PM
i dont know if you consider sania mirza? cos during the aussie open she was the first indian woman to reach 2nd round or something. and her play kinda bores me. dont know what you all think. but that's what i feel.

Gotta admit I'd never really heard of Mirza before the AO but she won me over in the 2nd set VS Serena - great groundstrokes & she sure is a pretty sight.

What can I say?.. I'm a little shallow. :)

Jan 26th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Gotta admit I'd never really heard of Mirza before the AO but she won me over in the 2nd set VS Serena - great groundstrokes & she sure is a pretty sight.

What can I say?.. I'm a little shallow. :)

she has a great weapon: forehand

Jakeev
Jan 26th, 2005, 11:35 PM
KUTUZOVA...not Kuznetsova.
She still seems to be struggling though in smaller events. She lost yesterday to Anna Brastikova in straight sets in Clearwater.

But yeah she still has time.

mboyle
Jan 26th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Vaidisova is the only one who will amount to a consistent slam champion.

kosmikgroove
Jan 27th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Kirelinko and Safina

clonesheep
Jan 27th, 2005, 12:32 AM
If I can only pick one, I'd say Golovin will not make it big. She hits the ball solid but otherwise has no distinctive weapon. And like Mauresmo, she lacks the intensity and mental fortitute to carry her though a big match. I would bet my money on Karolina Sprem and Sesil Karatantcheva instead. They are more "special" than the rest of the rising stars.

Orion
Jan 27th, 2005, 12:37 AM
I don't think Safina was ever really hyped, just supported because of her Safin connection. But again, I once thought she could eclipse him, if not in talent in consistency, and now I am eating my words. I hope she does well though, but my reasonable side says unlikely.

PointBlank
Jan 27th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Kutuzova,Bondarenko,Kraijeck.

fammmmedspin
Jan 27th, 2005, 01:49 AM
There are so many phenoms, about half the current top 10 are under 24, both Belgians are young if they make it back. Alicia has just made it to the top 10. Vera and Elena B are nearly there. Patty and Nadia are not far off.

With that many players its pretty inevitable some people can't make it to the top 10 - so many people, so few numbers from 1-10.

UDiTY
Jan 27th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Na Li, she'll be overshadowed by the much more talented Peng.

Kirilenko/Krajicek I am not too big of a believer in at this point.

:p