PDA

View Full Version : Playing Your Partner

CJW1984
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:55 PM
How often have doubles partners played each other at the same tournament in singles? Especially in the later stages?

The Williams' must have....

Also have matches between players caused trouble to their doubles chemistary? :devil:

katiektc
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Elena D beat Ai at the KC last year.

although i dunno if they played doubles at that event.

Tichi
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Ai beat Kim in Scotsdale 2003, they already had a solid running partnership then. They won the doubles title together at the same event.
Kim was making the points and hitting winners, but suddenly the match twisted in favour of Ai. Kim started to make tons of mistakes and did look troubled. However, at the ceremony, she was happy that her doubles buddy had won a trophy.

Joseosu19
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:25 PM
96 Olympics...
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario beats Jana Novotna in the Semis.

Jana got mad at Arantxa for beating her, and it started a little war of words between the two and eventually a break up as doubles partners.

Prizeidiot
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:39 AM
I think maybe the biggest one would've been Hingis and Kournikova splitting up after a singles match. I can't quite remember where and when it was, but was it over a line call? I just remember that it got a lot of attention.

ginger_fish668
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:46 AM
What happened between Hingis and Kournikova? I had heard about something like that, but not the full details. Anyone know the story?