PDA

View Full Version : Why did Tennis Australia close the roof for Safin/Hrbaty but not the women's QF's?

the cat
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:48 PM
I read this online this morning and it made me mad. :mad: The 4 women players playing their quarterfinal matches in the oppresive Australian heat played like they were sleepwalking because of the searing heat and the fans were put to sleep by the heat and the flat and unispiring play of Sharapova/Kuznetsova and S. Williams/Mauresmo. Those 4 players and the quality of play really suffered from the heat but after Williams beat Mauresmo in a lifeless match Tennis Australia decided the Safin/Hrbaty match deserved a closed roof. Huh. :confused: That's not fair to the women and it's not fair to Hrbaty who is at a disadvantage playing indoors against Safin and his big serve. Safin not unexpectdly playing indoors cruised to a straight set win over Hrbaty.

I just can't figure out why the roof wasn't closed before the Sharapova/Kuznetsova match. Tennis Australia knew how hot it was going to get and they left Rod laver Arena open and what they got were 2 of the worst played women's quarterfinals I've ever seen! :eek: And the fans who had to sit through those 2 matches deserve a refund from Tennis Australia. I don't want to hear about how they didn't close the roof because it wasn't quite hot enough. It's very simple. Close the roof and get 2 high quality women's quarterfinals where the players have the strength to battle or leave the roof open and get 2 women's quarterfinal matches of terrible quality. Credit to the women for playing under such tough and trying conditions. But the fans in the stands and watching on televison deserve more credit for having to watch those 2 matches of poor quality where the players looked like they were playing in slow motion.

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:53 PM
According to Cliff Drysdale, when the women started playing, the temperture didn't reach the limit required to close the roof. However, while the Serena/Amelie match was going on, the temperature reached the limit, so they announced that the roof would be closed during the men's first QF match.

griffin
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Maybe they were afraid of Safin taking his pants off.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:57 PM
everyone wanted to see Roger vs Marat Semifinal on Thursday ;)

alfajeffster
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Maybe they were afraid of Safin taking his pants off.
Ah, thank you for that mental imagery this afternoon!;)

the cat
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Thanks Liz. I understand that. But for the sake of quality tennis over terrible tennis they should have closed the roof for the sake of the players and fans. Staying up until 1:30 in the morning to watch the last 2 grand slam winners in Sharapova and Kuznetsova face off was such a dissapointment because the tennis was so lethargic. :( I am happy Maria won but I think she has very little left to give after giving so much effort in that match.

alfajeffster
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks Liz. I understand that. But for the sake of quality tennis over terrible tennis they should have closed the roof for the fans sake. Staying up until 1:30 in the morning to watch the last 2 grand slam winners in Sharapova and Kuznetsova face off was such a dissapointment because the tennis was so lethargic. :( I am happy Maria won but I think she has very little left to give after giving so much effort in that match.
Oh, so that's why she's going to lose to Serena. I was wondering about that. Surely it won't be because she'll be outplayed...:rolleyes:

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks Liz. I understand that. But for the sake of quality tennis over terrible tennis they should have closed the roof for the fans sake. Staying up until 1:30 in the morning to watch the last 2 grand slam winners in Sharapova and Kuznetsova face off was such a dissapointment because the tennis was so lethargic. :( I am happy Maria won but I think she has very little left to give after giving so much effort in that match.

You're welcome.

I am glad they handled it the way they did. It would have not been fair to Maria or Svetlana to have Serena and Amelie play under a closed roof when they had to suffer in the heat when the temperature differntial was only a couple of degrees. Maria or Svetlana could have helped themselves by doing what Serena did; win in straight sets.

Maria's problem isn't only the heat; of the five matches she has played, three have gone to three sets, including the last two. Considering it is supposed to be even hotter tomorrow, she'd better hope that the roof is closed and that Serena is off her game.

Trent
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Part of the aus open is dealing with the heat factor.

And while Safin didn't need to yesterday, they were just following the rules that were set.

the cat
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:10 PM
You're awfully confident Liz. And you should be. I will be shocked if Serena loses this match. :eek: I think she will be too strong and too fast for a tired Maria and win 6-4 6-3. And Liz if it's supposed to be as hot as you say it is the roof should be closed.

Griffin, aren't you going to get back to me on something? ;)

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:45 PM
You're awfully confident Liz. And you should be. I will be shocked if Serena loses this match. :eek: I think she will be too strong and too fast for a tired Maria and win 6-4 6-3. And Liz if it's supposed to be as hot as you say it is the roof should be closed.

Griffin, aren't you going to get back to me on something? ;)

Depeinding on when they play, the roof will only be closed if the temperature before the start of the match is a certain degrees celcius. And when they play depends on who wins the Davenport/Molik match.

Spunky83
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:51 PM
How´s the weather going to be today? I think the Aussies wouldn´t mind to have the same weather as yesterday for their two players.

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:55 PM
How´s the weather going to be today? I think the Aussies wouldn´t mind to have the same weather as yesterday for their two players.
I think they have the current temperature on the AO website.

SelesFan70
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Safin in a pair a ANERES shorts.... ;)

the cat
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Where is the current temperature on the website? I couldn't find it.

flyingmachine
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Safin in a pair a ANERES shorts.... ;)
:haha: Me too. :drool: :tape:

gossipcom
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:15 PM
ACcording to the BoM (http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60034.shtml)

As of 11.10am it was 29.3 degrees in Melbourne (went up almost a degree in the space of 5 mins)

the cat
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the info. It doesn't seem to be as hot as yesterday.

becks
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I dare say it will end up as hot as yesterday. its sweltering and only 11am and its getting hotter.

gossipcom
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Yeah I agree becks - I'm not in Melbourne - checking out bom every so often and it's already hit 30 in Melbourne and you can imagine what it'd be like on RLA - if it keeps it up for the next hour or so - I'd say there's a very strong chance the roof will be closed.

VS Fan
Jan 26th, 2005, 01:06 AM
What I want to know is:

What the hell is the difference of a tennis court with rebound ace surface classified as "outdoor" with the roof open vs a tennis court with rebound ace surface classified as "indoor" simply because the roof was closed????

The only things I can think of is wind, rain, heat, or sun glare.

Most indoor courts are "carpet" which I think is the significant difference, and also less playing space behind the baseline.

anthonyqld
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:42 AM
The temperature has to be at a certain point BEFORE the match starts for the roof to be closed. If it reaches that temperature 5 seconds after they step on court, the roof isn't closed and they play in the heat.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:59 AM
VS Fan:

There are actually quite a number of tournaments on "indoor hardcourt", many of them on a version of the Deco Turf surface used for North American hardcourt events. If you look at the PDF version of the WTA Tour calendar, you'll note that all of the indoor events after the US Open with the exception of Moscow are on indoor hardcourt.

I seem to recall the first year that "1-800-MATTRES" Mac had the men's YEC in Houston, there was a debate over putting down the indoor DecoTurf in an outdoor stadium.