PDA

View Full Version : Could Sharapova please quit her antics after match-point?

GoDominique
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:37 PM
It's just totally inappropriate and laughable. :retard:

And I don't think this will make her more popular with the crowd. :rolleyes:

Thinking about it, maybe she should keep it up. :)

PhoenixStorm
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Considering I try to avoid her matches, what exactly does she do?

satori
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:43 PM
well, she is only 12 years old and....... oops, wait a minute, that's the reason why my neice acts up. Sharapova...... um, no comment

Elldee
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I thought her reaction after Kuznetsova was more appropriate than usual because it was a quarter against a tough opponent but moreso, it was an amazing final point from her.

I must say I prefer it when she's losing, there's no fist pumps and vamos!'s... she's such a daddy's girl... why doesn't it embarass her?

She is a little actress.

satori
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:46 PM
... why doesn't it embarass her? She is a little actress.

She should win a RAZZIE - she's that good!! http://www.razzies.com/asp/directory/XcDirectory.asp

DA FOREHAND
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:47 PM
I can have stand her fist pumps and celebrations after winning a not so close match, but i sure as hell wish yuir could get lost in the crowd.

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:48 PM
She should win a RAZZIE - she's that good!! http://www.razzies.com/asp/directory/XcDirectory.asp

:haha: :haha:

People will sonn tire of her antics. I am hoping sooner rather than later.

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Maria enjoys her wins. Even at Tier III's.
If you don't like her, you probably should turn off the tv as soon as she wins the match.

Alek
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:51 PM

:kiss: :kiss:

KV
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:52 PM
:lol: Maria enjoys her wins. Even at Tier III's.
If you don't like her, you probably should turn off the tv as soon as she wins the match. :lol:

pinkfrog
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:53 PM
I think it's great when a player gets excited about winning!

Jaime Bahena
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Maria enjoys her wins. Even at Tier III's.
If you don't like her, you probably should turn off the tv as soon as she wins the match.

Why wait 'til then? Turn off the tv as soon as she appears on screen. Unfortunately, you may miss her winning or losing the match. Oh, well.....

Darop.
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:57 PM
I know its soooooo anooying... :rolleyes:

In the Silvia vs. Maria match, Maria was doing on almost every point. Then Silvia won a great point, and she threw up her hands and did exactly what Sharapova was doing :haha:

That was great :p

GoDominique
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:58 PM
I think it's great when a player gets excited about winning!
Sure. Problem here: Her excitement is fake. :)

Jaime Bahena
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Masha is suffering from the "Williams syndrome." Similar to what Richard did with his princesses, Yuri filled his little princess Masha's head full of dreams. "You can win Wimbledon, you can reach top ten, you can reach semifinals of Grand Slams. All you have to do is believe, believe, believe." Yuri, you've created a monster.

Martian KC
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:02 PM

In the Silvia vs. Maria match, Maria was doing on almost every point. Then Silvia won a great point, and she threw up her hands and did exactly what Sharapova was doing :haha:

I remember this! :o :tape:

!<blocparty>!
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:03 PM

May I ask who your faves are?

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:04 PM
I ageee with that, espeically after her win at the YEC.:rolleyes:

GoDominique
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:05 PM
May I ask who your faves are?
Sure. :)

Dominique van Roost (retired)
Anca Barna
Michaela Pastikova
Kristina Barrois
Caroline Schneider
Elizabeth Freeman-Young
and others. :)

Jaime Bahena
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:08 PM
According to some reliable sources, Masha fakes everything, repeat: everything.
Russian beeyotch!!

Darop.
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Ugh, I just saw her match point vs Sveta again, shes so annoying when she raises her arms in the air...:rolleyes:

Lets hope Serena beats her up :p

SelesFan70
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:13 PM
She's no more annoying than Lleyton Hewitt...no more annoying that a pirouette after a routine win...no more annoying that asking for a particular ball after every point...no more annoying than having Martina care who watches her matches. :devil:

jj74
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Oh please, are a lot of players who do a lot of worse things. Do you remenber the Williams at the begining of their careers, hopefully they mature the last years, or the rude coments of Hingis about her rivals. Yes Maria rise her fist a lot of times but what is it if you compare with Hewitt for example

Jaime Bahena
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Ugh, I just saw her match point vs Sveta again, shes so annoying when she raises her arms in the air...:rolleyes:

Lets hope Serena beats her up :p

I hope so, too. Masha can tell the reporters at the post conference interviews that Serena didn't win, that Masha lost the match by playing at 10% of her capacity. Either way, Masha will win, because if she wins the match, she can tell people that she's fearless. If she loses the match, she can tell people that her tennis game sucked.

jj74
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:20 PM
After all Serena spends two years to win her second GS, Maria has a lot of time to do it

Jan 25th, 2005, 07:21 PM
LOL @ Williams fans not liking Sharapova for "ACTING" on court. Serena's whole game is based on an ACT. Maria's celebration was much more appropriate compared to Serena's "Hop-Skip and Jump" versus an injured Amelie.

Jan 25th, 2005, 07:22 PM
LOL @ Williams fans not liking Sharapova for "ACTING" on court. Serena's whole game is based on an ACT. Maria's celebration was much more appropriate compared to Serena's "Hop-Skip and Jump" versus an injured Amelie.

And let's not forget bow to the crowd. Gotta love her

pigam
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:23 PM
sylvia farina ( :hearts: ) had the perfect reply for it tho :)

Martian Willow
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:51 PM
I don't get the stuff about her fist pumping. Most of the time she has her back turned, I'm surprised anyone at the other end of the court would even notice. It's hardly the vicht salute, is it? :awww:

Becool
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Yes I couldn't agree more.

I remember in Wimbledon, when fell down, and put her hands at her face, like she was crying, and when she took off, there were no tear.. not a single drop! And I remember the camera doing a close caption.. :confused:

I hate her celebrations, none of them seem real to me.. But through the match, it's kinda nice to see all her screamings and stuff, that's cool. She's fired up.. She's intense. I like that.. but when she wins it, it all seems so fake.. Everything. It looks like she wants to be everyone's favorite girl.

Jan 25th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Yes I couldn't agree more.

I remember in Wimbledon, when fell down, and put her hands at her face, like she was crying, and when she took off, there were no tear.. not a single drop! And I remember the camera doing a close caption.. :confused:

I hate her celebrations, none of them seem real to me.. But through the match, it's kinda nice to see all her screamings and stuff, that's cool. She's fired up.. She's intense. I like that.. but when she wins it, it all seems so fake.. Everything. It looks like she wants to be everyone's favorite girl.

YA! how dare she be happy/surprised after a tough win :rolleyes:
She better show her true emotions next time she wins a tough match: Horror and pain.

gmak
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:00 PM
at least when she pumps her fist, she doesn't look at her opponent in the eyes as serena does :rolleyes:

actually, if i had won a match-point like that, i would have gone :crazy: :crazy: :p

Becool
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:03 PM
at least when she pumps her fist, she doesn't look at her opponent in the eyes as serena does :rolleyes:

actually, if i had won a match-point like that, i would have gone :crazy: :crazy: :p
Serena doesn't either

I would too. But she doesn't go crazy.. She just seem fake

Allez-H
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:06 PM
I thought it was annoying as hell too but sher's still young,i hope that she'll changed her attitude over the years and if not wel whachta gonna do about it :shrug:

Becool
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:07 PM
YA! how dare she be happy/surprised after a tough win :rolleyes:
She better show her true emotions next time she wins a tough match: Horror and pain.
She seem fake! I think u didn't see US Open 99, Wimbledon 00, AUS Open 97' celebrations.. Wimbledon 04 and US Open 04 ones, look pathetic...

At Wimbledon cuz Maria looked completely artificial, and US Open because Sveta looked like she just won another title in Bali

Kart
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:09 PM

Anca Barna
Michaela Pastikova
Kristina Barrois
Caroline Schneider
Elizabeth Freeman-Young
I know that gap at the top is for Monica Seles :kiss:.

As for Sharapova, she's reminiscent of her upcoming opponent from what I've seen. The next match ought to be laugh :lol:.

Edward.
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Ok. Lets ban Maria from celebrating victories.

While we're at it, lets ban her from breathing, and intaking vital fluids.

Becool
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Wait, that's not a bad idea :bounce: :rolleyes:

Edward.
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Wait, that's not a bad idea :bounce: :rolleyes:

60 seconds. Not bad.

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Masha is suffering from the "Williams syndrome." Similar to what Richard did with his princesses, Yuri filled his little princess Masha's head full of dreams. "You can win Wimbledon, you can reach top ten, you can reach semifinals of Grand Slams. All you have to do is believe, believe, believe." Yuri, you've created a monster.
:lol: Always have to bring the Williams up, no matter what the topic. It's pathetic.

Becool
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:23 PM
60 seconds. Not bad.
Thank you :wavey:

Jaime Bahena
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:27 PM
:lol: Always have to bring the Williams up, no matter what the topic. It's pathetic.

Sorry about that. Masha is suffering from the overzealous father syndrome. Dads coaching their girls, girls getting pumped, rising to the top of the game, winning slams, yadda yadda yadda. Feel better?

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:29 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha:
I have to give it to you...that one was good. :lol:

brunof
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:29 PM
I do find such annoying antics to be a big turn off. For example, I was so emotional when Serena won the Open in 1999, because she too was in disbelief. A few years later, when she was dominating Venus in finals, her wins were always a disapointment because to me it seemed like she wasn't all that excited. ("Gee, sis I'm sorry I beat you.") I guess it's one reason I never liked Venus and Serena matches. I find Maria's antics a bit over the top too, and somewhat fake, so it's tough for me to get emotionally involved in her matches, and it's becoming increasingly more difficult for me to cheer for her. I guess I'm just a sap for someone who is emotional after huge wins, such as Jenn Cap and her wins, Jana in 1998, and Davenport in 1998.

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Sorry about that. Masha is suffering from the overzealous father syndrome. Dads coaching their girls, girls getting pumped, rising to the top of the game, winning slams, yadda yadda yadda. Feel better?
:rolleyes:

Gallofa
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I don't find anything extraordinarily annoying about Maria. The screaming used to be a bit over the top, but now that she's lowered the decibels, she's fine.

What is truly annoying is the Eurosport commentating on her matches. I normally like Simon Reed, but really... They were talking about Maria non-stop. About her little rituals, her dad, her forehand, her backhand, her errors, how tired she looked, how happy she looked, whether it was warm and she was suffering, her serve, blah, blah, blah .... Maria ad nauseum... I don't think they mentioned Kuznetsova more than twice per set.

GoDominique
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Where is nancy http://cache.wtaworld.com/wtaworld/ubb/icons/icon11.gif
Sorry, she has been moved onto my favourite pianists list. :)

Jaime Bahena
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:44 PM

Good point. Her opponents need to find SOMETHING to do to Masha in order to win against her. Let's force her to use only one hand, and maybe some players will have a chance of beating her.

faboozadoo15
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:49 PM
it was an incredible match point. best i've seen in this tournament certianly... i don't think her reaction was fake at all.

Edward.
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Good point. Her opponents need to find SOMETHING to do to Masha in order to win against her. Let's force her to use only one hand, and maybe some players will have a chance of beating her.

Or dangle Yuri in a cage overlooking the stadium. Give the spectators sticks to throw at him. Yay.

GoDominique
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:55 PM
At least wait until you hear her :p
I haven't see her play tennis before I put her on my fave tennis players list either so ... :p

Teemu
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:07 PM
I do find such annoying antics to be a big turn off. For example, I was so emotional when Serena won the Open in 1999, because she too was in disbelief. A few years later, when she was dominating Venus in finals, her wins were always a disapointment because to me it seemed like she wasn't all that excited. ("Gee, sis I'm sorry I beat you.") I guess it's one reason I never liked Venus and Serena matches. I find Maria's antics a bit over the top too, and somewhat fake, so it's tough for me to get emotionally involved in her matches, and it's becoming increasingly more difficult for me to cheer for her. I guess I'm just a sap for someone who is emotional after huge wins, such as Jenn Cap and her wins, Jana in 1998, and Davenport in 1998.

I don't know what you consider emotional, but I can remember Maria falling to her knees after her Wimbledon victory, rushing to the stands to hug her father, after which she couldn't even get her phone to work with all the excitement. In the interview she was almost hysterical, apologizing Serena over and over for her victory. I know she can't probably celebrate the way you or everyone else would like it best, but calling her a fake is a bit too much to stand.
I love players with personality, as long as it doesn't get offensive or rude. I think Maria is genuinely happy after each win and not afraid to show it, which is as much a breath of fresh air as is her game and unyielding attitude.

Darop.
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:22 PM

Only that Serena's fist pumps come on fought or important points, and they are REAL, not just a little ritual done on each point

Martian Willow
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:24 PM

Anca Barna
Michaela Pastikova
Kristina Barrois
Caroline Schneider
Elizabeth Freeman-Young

Yes, I can see why you don't have a problem with any of these players post match celebrations. :)

Sorry, someone had to say it.

Darop.
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:24 PM
I thought it was annoying as hell too but sher's still young,i hope that she'll changed her attitude over the years and if not wel whachta gonna do about it :shrug:
Well, she's almost 18, whats she waiting for?

When I was 12 I would slam my rackets on the floor, but now only 3 years later I already realise how stupid I was...

I dont think that in 4-5 years Maria will stop doing that...

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Yes, I can see why you don't have a problem with any of these players post match celebrations. :)

Sorry, someone had to say it.
Okay, see Willow, I laugh at your stuff too. :lol:
That was good. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Calimero377
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:30 PM

She was young and needed the money ...

Strange Famous
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:31 PM
what a silly topic. what is wrong with celebrating winning?

Its the same as all the abuse TO or Randy Moss gets for having fun when they score a touchdown... the same applies to DB's who go against TO as to Maria's opponents... if you dont like her winning celebration, then beat her, and you wont have to watch it.

Pureracket
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:57 PM

Anca Barna
Michaela Pastikova
Kristina Barrois
Caroline Schneider
Elizabeth Freeman-Young
and others. :)Ummm. .. is that the bottom half of your fav list? I know that Serena J. Williams is on the top half, right?

Strange Famous
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Well, she's almost 18, whats she waiting for?

When I was 12 I would slam my rackets on the floor, but now only 3 years later I already realise how stupid I was...

I dont think that in 4-5 years Maria will stop doing that...

plenty pro players still break their racquets. It's just passion, I would rather see someone get fired up than a Myskina type personality who never seems that interested or to really care if she wins or loses. Myskina and Sharapova prohably both care as much, just have different personalities.

Pureracket
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:02 PM
LOL @ Williams fans not liking Sharapova for "ACTING" on court. Serena's whole game is based on an ACT. Maria's celebration was much more appropriate compared to Serena's "Hop-Skip and Jump" versus an injured Amelie.What excitement do you get out of being a troll? This is sooo irritating to me:

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=148927

Maria Croft
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:04 PM
oh my god, now her victory gets annoying as well ?? you will just find anything to try to get as much people together to tell each other how much you don't like everything about her !! this is so very sad !! get a damn life !!!!

LeRoy.
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:08 PM
If you don't like it , don't see it :) She is just as free as any other player to show her emotions after a hard fought victory in the QF of a slam.

Jaime Bahena
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Or dangle Yuri in a cage overlooking the stadium. Give the spectators sticks to throw at him. Yay.
You da man, Eddy

Kart
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:12 PM

:lol:

henmanhill
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:19 PM
I thought the way she got on her mobile phone after winning and kept everyone waiting to do the presentation was incredibly tacky. :o

Spunky83
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:43 PM
http://www.amiannoying.com

lol, I love that site! Go, play there;)

bandabou
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:44 PM
hmmm......only time I had problem with it was when she dropped down at YEC and all the hugging and stuff on court..and then only like after all the things were over remembered that she had an injured opponent.

Larry David
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:52 PM
what a silly topic. what is wrong with celebrating winning?

Its the same as all the abuse TO or Randy Moss gets for having fun when they score a touchdown... the same applies to DB's who go against TO as to Maria's opponents... if you dont like her winning celebration, then beat her, and you wont have to watch it.

Strange Famous .. where do you get your name?? Is it from Sage??

Larry David
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I don't think Serena did a whole lot of anything last night much less get excited. The match was so horrible against an injured Amelie that it was almost unbareable for Serena herself to watch.

volta
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Classless thatīs all i gotta say. i donīsee her matchs cause i can care less but i saw the match point against Sveta and i have to say that that thing is just wrong and pathetic.

GoDominique
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Yep. They all handle their victories with grace. :)

Can't wait for Pastikova's celebration after winning the AO doubles title. :)

the cat
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:23 PM
It was a great match point! :D And after playing in the searing Australian heat for well over 2 hours Maria Sharapova should be allowed to scream for joy after winning such a tough match on a fastastic point! :tennis: :shout: But I rather don't understand why that after humiliating Amelie Mauresmo 2 and 2 Serena Williams needed to jump and and down like she had just won a tough match when it was a routine win over an injured opponent. :confused:

G1Player2
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:54 PM
It was a great match point! :D And after playing in the searing Australian heat for well over 2 hours Maria Sharapova should be allowed to scream for joy after winning such a tough match on a fastastic point! :tennis: :shout: But I rather don't understand why that after humiliating Amelie Mauresmo 2 and 2 Serena Williams needed to jump and and down like she had just won a tough match when it was a routine win over an injured opponent. :confused:
Maybe the same reason Maria Sharapova jumped on the ground in DRAMATIC fashion and rolled all over the ground in the YEC against an injured Serena Williams...

the cat
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Maybe not. Sharapova was down to an injured S. Williams 0-4 in the final set of the YEC final and victory seemed gone for sure. Serena's quartefinal win over Mauresmo at the 2005 Australian open was never in doubt. But Masha's YEC championship win over an injured Serena was in doubt the entire match. And therein lies the difference.

cheo23
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:18 PM
No She Cannot Quit Her Antics After Match Point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get It Together Thread Starter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SJW
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Why wait 'til then? Turn off the tv as soon as she appears on screen.

exactly. makes me happy. but i'm watching her tonight.

the cat
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Oh Sarah, Maria is too tired :( so Serena will have the upper hand tonight. :tennis: :smash: So you should be happy watching this match. :)

Strange Famous
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:56 PM
If any of Maria's opponents, or any of Serena's opponents, have a problem with the way they celebrate - then its simple - beat them and you want have to watch them dance/scream/fall to their knee's or whatever else.

The only thing I have a problem with is players fist pumping and yelling an opponent double faulting or a poor UE... other than that they should be free to celebrate as much as they want, if you are a passionate driven person you just cant help it.

the cat
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Good points.

SharapovaFan16
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:28 PM
by the way maria's celebration after her win over kutnetsova was not long. she held her arms up in triumph and looked exhausted and was joyed she had come back. she took like 5 sec. people overblow shit!

hablo
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:00 PM

:lol: :lol: :haha:

K.U.C.W-R.V
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:42 PM

Couldnt agree more, Sharapova's wildly excessive, giggling celebrations used to be kinda endearing but they are fast becoming tiresome for many spectators and disrespectful to her opponents.

She's only 17 so she may learn to tone it down but I'm not gunna hold my breath :yawn:

the cat
Jan 26th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Joy, you make a good point about Masha being tired mentally as well as physically. She is and Serena will capitolize on that tonight with a 6-4 6-3 win over Sharapova.

And you also make a good point about shrugging off people knocking Masha and Serena for showing some emotion and being enthused. They actually have a passion for what they are doing and they want to share it with the audience. :clap2: