PDA

View Full Version : What Can Serena Do To Beat Sharapova?

Lolo8
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:32 PM
I love Serena and I am one of her biggest fans but Im going to be honest to say I don't think she can beat Sharapova. Watching Sharapova last nite make some unbelievable shot making I don't think Serena have a chance without playing strategic tennis to beat her.Serena won't defeat her slugging out at the baseline.I remember when she played Serena during Wimbledon, she had Serena pinned behind the baseline and Serena couldn't return her balls. :eek: If there are tennis experts out their what can Serena do tacticaly to beat her?

Pureracket
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:35 PM
You're probably right about the slugging situation. If Maria Sharapova knows nothing else, it's power tennis; however, Serena's angles and touch seem to be clicking for this tournament. If she can manage to change up the pace and hit angle shots(especially to Maria Sharapova's forehand), then she has a good chance.

Also, Serena's serve needs to be working.

Volcana
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:37 PM
If there are tennis experts out their what can Serena do tacticaly to beat her?Play the same way she did at the YEC, but be able to raise her arm over her head to serve. If you had seen that match, you'd feel more confident about Serena winning.

Piotr'ek
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:37 PM
What can serena do?
It's simple, just not to let broke her serve.

cheo23
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:39 PM
SERENA can't Hit every BAll REAlly Hard to Maria
She's gotta CHANGE IT Up
like How Myskina does so well against Maria
another Key is since Maria is Exhausted
SERENA's gotta MOVE HER Around
Make Her RUN ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maria chance is to STRIKE Hard to SERENa's Forehand
BUT Stay close to SERENA
& RETURN WELL AGAINST SERENA
don't give her SHORT RETURNS
GOOD LUCK TO BOTH Players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy the Match EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN MARIA BEAT SERENA 3 MATCHES in a ROW
or WiLL SERENA GET Her REVENGE??????????//
We'll SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alfajeffster
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Play the same way she did at the YEC, but be able to raise her arm over her head to serve. If you had seen that match, you'd feel more confident about Serena winning.
Exactly. She had Maria on the ropes, and it looked for all the world like she was going to take that match until her abdominal muscle pulled- and even then she gave it a pretty good shot and almost stole that third set before Maria figured out she had a lame duck on the other side of the net.

If she comes out firing like she did against Mauresmo, and cleans up her unforced errors just a tiny little bit, I think she'll take out Maria in straight sets!

cheo23
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Exactly. She had Maria on the ropes, and it looked for all the world like she was going to take that match until her abdominal muscle pulled- and even then she gave it a pretty good shot and almost stole that third set before Maria figured out she had a lame duck on the other side of the net.

If she comes out firing like she did against Mauresmo, and cleans up her unforced errors just a tiny little bit, I think she'll take out Maria in straight sets!
SERENA Played AWESOME
but I think Maria was Surprised SERENA would repeatedly go
for the WINNER in the 3 SET since she was INJURIED
prior to that ..2nd SET Maria Won 4 GAMES in a ROW to start 3rd SET

jonny84
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Stay calm and focused, and just enjoy herself.

Edward.
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:00 PM
To be honest, I fear for Maria in this match.

Maria played a tough 3 setter in blistering heat and I worry about her physical condition for the match. I worry even more when I think of the calibre of the opponent she will be facing.

There is something about the name "Williams" that still sounds fearsome in todays game.

volta
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:05 PM
what can she do? play her tennis that´s all she needs Maria should be the one worried with it not Rena its more like what can Maria do to defeat Rena if Rena is on in her game i say almost nothing.

alfajeffster
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Besides, I read that they are giving out extra points this year for players with the largest breasts, so Serena wins it tits-down before the first ball is even struck...

kabuki
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Show up.

volta
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Besides, I read that they are giving out extra points this year for players with the largest breasts, so Serena wins it tits-down before the first ball is even struck...
CDFU :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: RENA :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :drool: :lick:

Venus+Serena#1fan
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Basically, Serena just has to play her game and execute.

She was never consistent and agressive off the ground in 2004 like she was in 02-03, But she seems to have found her ground game back. When Serena's game is on, she hits alot more winners per match than even Sharapova, and such has been the case in this tournament.

When Serena is playing well off the ground, she can outplay and outhit Maria with power tennis from the baseline (just look at thte first 4 games of the YEC 3rd set) Rena just blasted winner after winner past Maria who looked defensless, until her injured serve got the best of her.

That being said, I still don't think she should only stay back, even if she is outplaying Sharapova from the back court. Serena volleys alot better than Maria, so she should come to net behind good approaches, and if her serve is on, then its bye bye Sharapova.

satori
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:09 PM
What can Serena do??????? SHOW UP!!!! Sharapova is still believing in her own hype, still under the assumption that Serena has only one game plan, still believes that she deserved the win at the YEC. Yeah, all Serena has to do is show up, play agressively, come to net (as she has been), and serve the way she did against Mauresmo - and she'll come out on top....

Experimentee
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:10 PM
It should be what can Maria do? From the last match form, Serena is the better player, and she had her on the ropes at the YEC too. Sveta should have beaten Maria if she kept her first set form up, and unlike Sveta, Serena can actually sustain good tennis.

Doublebackhand
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Agree Serena will win just by playing her game.

btw, dont think its very nice to call Amelie "Malesbo", very bad taste.

cheo23
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:15 PM
It should be what can Maria do? From the last match form, Serena is the better player, and she had her on the ropes at the YEC too. Sveta should have beaten Maria if she kept her first set form up, and unlike Sveta, Serena can actually sustain good tennis.
SVETLANA couldn't keep up with the HEAT..
SHE LOST HER SERVE the whole 2nd & 3rd SETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
does that have to do with MaRia's RETURN? YEAH
like I said MARIA FOUGHT HER WAY TO DEFEAT SERENA in YEC
she could have given up..but instead she was DETERMInED TO BEAT HER!
2nd SET..she won the Last 4 GAMES!!!
I bet she was surprised by SErena's determination to continue the match
Might Have CAUGHT HER OFF GUARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thelittlestelf
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Er, if they both come out playing like they did yesterday, Serena in straight sets.

Sharapova will go in with the confidence that she's beaten Serena on the past two occasions, but Serena will go in with the determination that she will not let Sharapova beat her again. Ever.

In Serena's hands!

cheo23
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:19 PM
What can Serena do??????? SHOW UP!!!! Sharapova is still believing in her own hype, still under the assumption that Serena has only one game plan, still believes that she deserved the win at the YEC. Yeah, all Serena has to do is show up, play agressively, come to net (as she has been), and serve the way she did against Mauresmo - and she'll come out on top....
oh Yeah
Maria is REALLY HYPE :rolleyes:
she THRASHED SERENA, a 2 TIME DEFENDIN CHampion at WIMBLEDON
BEAT HER AGAIN AT YEC
She's #4 In the WORLD
& Now the Top RUSSIAN IN THE WORLD
I BET SERENA IS GLAD Maria has Played 3 Matches going 3 SETS
Obviously Maria is a little exhausted ...
WILL BE a GOOD MATCH!
CONGRATULATIOnS to BOTH LADIES!

Bezz
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:22 PM
serena will have to play consistently well, hitting the ball hard and running maria into the ground. It seems simple enough but when yu sharapova on the other side of the net trying to do the same thing then its not gonna be that easy at all. The match is way too close to call, there are so many thing to take into consideration for this match "will serena serve well", "will maria be too tired", The fact is they are both playing great, doesnt matter how many set yu have dropped to get to the semi's , (venus never dropped a set then lost in straights).

Lets just hope for a great match and that both players leave court injury free :cool:

ys
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Nothing.

satori
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:30 PM
oh Yeah
BEAT HER AGAIN AT YEC
She's #4 In the WORLD
& Now the Top RUSSIAN IN THE WORLD
I BET SERENA IS GLAD Maria has Played 3 Matches going 3 SETS
Obviously Maria is a little exhausted ...
WILL BE a GOOD MATCH!
CONGRATULATIOnS to BOTH LADIES!

Thrashed???????? Um, not sure I would use THAT adjective, surprised, oh yes - at Wimbledon. As for YEC, what match were you watching? A champion, a No. 4 in the world needs not an excuse (I played too many sets, I'm a little tired), why are you providing excuses for her? It will be a GOOD MATCH, especially when Serena steam rolls HYPEROVA?

BTW - what's with the hard return for each of your sentences? For effect? ;)

satori
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Lets just hope for a great match and that both players leave court injury free :cool:

Amen!! and might I add Right On!!! :clap2:

dreamgoddess099
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:37 PM
oh Yeah
BEAT HER AGAIN AT YEC
She's #4 In the WORLD

So, Lindsay beat Serena worse than Maria, then beat Serena again at the YEC, and is #1 in the world. But I don't hear you asking what anybody can do to beat Davenport. Anyway, Maria doesn't hit any deeper or harder than Lindsay, so if Serena can handle Lindsay's strokes enough to have a 9-4 h2h then I don'e see why she can't do the same to Maria.

fammmmedspin
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Watch the first set of Sveta playing her or if she is really ambitious Silvia or Nastya playing her this AO or at the YEC.

Sveta's interview is fascinating - she said she fell asleep just before the point Maria started winning - as did Nastya at the YEC. Both of them failed at the point it was clear they were winning. Serena's task is to keep on going.

I had a X files momemt when I heard that - you don't think the grunting and screeching has a mind bending/numbing effect do you?

cheo23
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:04 PM
So, Lindsay beat Serena worse than Maria, then beat Serena again at the YEC, and is #1 in the world. But I don't hear you asking what anybody can do to beat Davenport. Anyway, Maria doesn't hit any deeper or harder than Lindsay, so if Serena can handle Lindsay's strokes enough to have a 9-4 h2h then I don'e see why she can't do the same to Maria.
THIS THREAD IS ABOUT WHAT CAN SERENA DO AGAINST MARIA
NOT INVOLVIN Lindsay! :lol:
GET IT TOGETHER
In that THREAD Lindsay vs. ALICIA
I sTATED already what ALICIA has to DO against Lindsay

cheo23
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Thrashed???????? Um, not sure I would use THAT adjective, surprised, oh yes - at Wimbledon. As for YEC, what match were you watching? A champion, a No. 4 in the world needs not an excuse (I played too many sets, I'm a little tired), why are you providing excuses for her? It will be a GOOD MATCH, especially when Serena steam rolls HYPEROVA?

BTW - what's with the hard return for each of your sentences? For effect? ;)
LOL@U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I'm not providin any excuses..I'm just statin
she's Played 3 matches goin to 3 SETS & is a Little TIRED

if U're finding excuses its the SERENA FANS
OH "SHE WAS TOO NERVOuS" in the WIMBLEDON FINAL
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
SERENA even said "I played at 20%"

I'm just glad they are Playin AGAIN
its GREAT FOR TENNIS & a GOOD RIVALRY!

SelesFan70
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Wear earplugs?? :shrug: :o

But I'm still picking Maria...in straight sets! :eek:

franny
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:16 PM
You know to be fair I think a lot of people forget that Serena was leading a set but was down like 5-2 in the second set before she pulled a muscle. So Maria would have won that second set irregardless of whether Serena got injured or not and that third set would really have been up in the air. With that said, all Serena has to do in this match is to serve well and not let Maria break her. Second is that she needs to hope conditions are horribly hot because Maria is clearly exhausted from three three set matches. Finally, she needs to hit lots of angles and move Maria around. That's about it. As for Maria, I feel like she needs to make this an all out slugfest. She needs to take the running game out of it and jump on those points as soon as she can, and keep Serena on her backfoot and keep pinning her shots to Serena's forehand. That's what she needs to do to win.

satori
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:17 PM
LOL@U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I'm not providin any excuses..I'm just statin
she's Played 3 matches goin to 3 SETS & is a Little TIRED

if U're finding excuses its the SERENA FANS
OH "SHE WAS TOO NERVOuS" in the WIMBLEDON FINAL
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
SERENA even said "I played at 20%"

I'm just glad they are Playin AGAIN
its GREAT FOR TENNIS & a GOOD RIVALRY!

Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (that's me backing up), I don't believe I made any excuses about why Serena lost to Hyper, er, um Maria at Wimby. But, you are absolutely correct that this rivalry is great for women's tennis. Now, if I could just get you from wasting sooooo much screen space with the hard returns......... ;) :lol:

satori
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:19 PM
irregardless

:worship:

deftman
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Umm excuse me? Just show up?!?! You people are SERIOUSLY underrating Maria, and probably have NOT seen her play against Kuznetsova, or if you did just SLEPT throught the match!!

She is THE most amazing talent I have ever seen! When I saw her play in the quaterfinal, I was amazed at her ASTONISHING intuition in directing the ball out of the hitting range of her opponent, and THAT Serena DEFINITELY does NOT have. She also moves the ball with such incredible speed, and has such an INFATIGUABLE spirit!!!

I also agree that Serena is been her best form in YEARS (I haven't seen her play as well since US Open 2002, that's more than 2 years ago?!!), so it clearly will NOT be an easy affair like Wimbledon 2004, but just SHOW UP?!? Have you SEEN Sharapova play? She is definitely the favorite to win, though Serena does have a shot.
If Serena has to win, as someone above said, she must mix up her game, and unsettle Sharapova.

Martian Jeza
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Not to lose :shrug:

icequeen
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:28 PM
You know to be fair I think a lot of people forget that Serena was leading a set but was down like 5-2 in the second set before she pulled a muscle. So Maria would have won that second set irregardless of whether Serena got injured or not and that third set would really have been up in the air. With that said, all Serena has to do in this match is to serve well and not let Maria break her. Second is that she needs to hope conditions are horribly hot because Maria is clearly exhausted from three three set matches. Finally, she needs to hit lots of angles and move Maria around. That's about it. As for Maria, I feel like she needs to make this an all out slugfest. She needs to take the running game out of it and jump on those points as soon as she can, and keep Serena on her backfoot and keep pinning her shots to Serena's forehand. That's what she needs to do to win.

Again, no such word.

Jaime Bahena
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:33 PM
To be honest, I fear for Maria in this match.

Maria played a tough 3 setter in blistering heat and I worry about her physical condition for the match. I worry even more when I think of the calibre of the opponent she will be facing.

There is something about the name "Williams" that still sounds fearsome in todays game.

You're partially correct: your quote should read "there is something about the name Serena Williams that still sounds fearsome in today's game." Who's afraid of Venus?

Ryan
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Wow, I'm surprised at how many people still think Sharapova is some mediocre hack and Serena is God's greatest gift. Give credit when credit is due people. Sharapova knows she is good, and will give Serena everything she can handle tomorrow. Serena knows it, and she needs to serve well and come into net. Maria needs to make sure her groundies click and to keep fighting.

cheo23
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:42 PM
You're partially correct: your quote should read "there is something about the name Serena Williams that still sounds fearsome in today's game." Who's afraid of Venus?
LOL..Oh yeah..there is ALOT OF Players AFRAID OF VENUS! :rolleyes:

Maria Croft
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:53 PM
It's so difficult to tell or talk about what Serena should do against sharapova, it depends on how both are playing really, how their serve is going and if they can hit and find the lines with their forehands, I feel that Serana can win if she is on top of her game, but so can Maria, I'm just not sure if maria is fit enough for another tough Match !! anyway, best of luck to them both !!

Edward.
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:58 PM

Venus is tough when she is playing consistently....which admittedly is not often nowadays.

But she is a Williams and a Williams can never be underestimated.

BrianII
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I'd think Serena Needs to hold serve for most of the match thus making it a long match even if Maria is playing really well, and almost definetly win the first set ....one of the things I admire about Maria is her playing level during a match rarely seem to dip ...she's either playing badly from the start of the match for its duration , starts slowly and improves ,or is on her game from the begining .. I think Maria is the more confident player right now I'd have to give the edge to her, but I hope serena comes out like that wimbledon match against JHH after losing to justine at the french ..whatever mind set she had for that match I hope she has that mind set now...she was awesome that day.

DA FOREHAND
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:12 PM
PLAY HER GAME...SERVE WELL

if the Kuze...didn't spray 82 forehands she might have won the quarters matchup

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:13 PM
..2nd SET Maria Won 4 GAMES in a ROW to start 3rd SET
Serena was injured when this happened. :rolleyes:

cheo23
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Serena was injured when this happened. :rolleyes:
Oh Yeah EVERy GAME SHE WON..SERENA WAS INJURIED! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
People just Love EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Watch the first set of Sveta playing her or if she is really ambitious Silvia or Nastya playing her this AO or at the YEC.

Sveta's interview is fascinating - she said she fell asleep just before the point Maria started winning - as did Nastya at the YEC. Both of them failed at the point it was clear they were winning. Serena's task is to keep on going.

I had a X files momemt when I heard that - you don't think the grunting and screeching has a mind bending/numbing effect do you?
:lol: :lol: :lol: You might have something there.

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Oh Yeah EVERy GAME SHE WON..SERENA WAS INJURIED! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
People just Love EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're too stupid to even argue with. :rolleyes:

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM
:lol: What a lot of Maria's fans fail to realize is that the only reason Maria went up 5-2 in the second set is because Serena got injured from the serve she attempted at 130mph. Otherwise, I believe it would have been a str8 set victory for Rena. But, that's history.

cheo23
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:23 PM
You're too stupid to even argue with. :rolleyes:
I think U're STUPID
didn't U just tell Me ON My Reputation NOt to Judge or some shit like that
U NEED TO Practice what U supposedly PREACH
Anyways..I have the Match ON Tape
& she was NOt Injuried ALL THOSE 4 GAMES MARIA WON
GO WATCH THE MATCH AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haha:
Some People just can't Handle the TRUTH
GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mishar
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I'm not sure there is a tactical strategy for this match. I think Serena just needs to come out and play her best tennis. She has to serve well, especially her second serve, she needs to finish points at net, and she has to go for her shots.

The angles are always nice, but I think Maria will handle them better than Mauresmo. Maria can hit some pretty nifty angles as well, and she's been moving very well in this tournament.

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:26 PM
She is THE most amazing talent I have ever seen! When I saw her play in the quaterfinal, I was amazed at her ASTONISHING intuition in directing the ball out of the hitting range of her opponent, and THAT Serena DEFINITELY does NOT have. She also moves the ball with such incredible speed, and has such an INFATIGUABLE spirit!!!

You must be insane. Maria is the most one dimentional player ever. She just hits hard. She has no touch. Serena is the author of directing the ball out of the hitting range of her opponent. I won't even talk about moving the ball with speed or having infatiguable spirit, because Serena is the master. In fact everything you've said describes Serena. So, what the hell are you talking about?? :retard:

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Again, no such word.
THANK YOU!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Venus is tough when she is playing consistently....which admittedly is not often nowadays.

But she is a Williams and a Williams can never be underestimated.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Martian Willow
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:32 PM
:lol: What a lot of Maria's fans fail to realize is that the only reason Maria went up 5-2 in the second set is because Serena got injured from the serve she attempted at 130mph. Otherwise, I believe it would have been a str8 set victory for Rena. But, that's history.

If that's why she got injured it's entirely her own fault.

satori
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:35 PM

...and your point is? How else do people in a single player sport get injured if not by their own doing? You didn't see any rackets flung at her during the match. Did you???????

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Uh oh, here's the thin skinned whimp who can't stand it when people laugh at someone else's joke about him.

Hey whimp, no one said it was anyone's fault she got injured. :retard: Is that the best you can do? :devil:

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:37 PM
...and your point is? How else do people in a single player sport get injured if not by their own doing? You didn't see any rackets flung at her during the match. Did you???????
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Got anymore bad reps for this one, whimp??

Lolo8
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:38 PM

This is really interesting. I notice it and I find it weird how her opponent out plays her in the first set like Lee Waters, Silvia and Kusenetova and all of sudden that player loses concentration and then Sharapova just starts playing like a totally different player. I never forgot during Wimbledon she made some mysterious bathroom break before the game started. Fammmmedspin you have to elaborate about this some more.

!<blocparty>!
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Play her game, well. :)

I'm hoping for a great match though. Serena's previous one kinda sucked :rolleyes: