PDA

View Full Version : Go Serena! This is why we LOVE this woman!

tennisIlove09
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Q. The prevailing talk is that the Williams are "declining." Venus has lost. Do you feel you need to win this tournament to counter that sort of talk?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't ‑‑ I don't appreciate that language, to be honest with you. I'm tired of not saying anything, but that's not fair. We've been practicing really hard. We've had some serious injuries. I mean, I've had surgery. And after surgery, I got to the finals of Wimbledon. I don't know too many people that have done that.

Venus had a severe strain in her stomach. I actually had the same injury, but I didn't tear it the way she did. If I would have torn it, I wouldn't have been here. That's another understatement. She played a player yesterday that just played out of her mind and Venus made some errors that she probably shouldn't have made.

And to top it off, we have a very, very, very, very, very close family. To be in some situation that we've been placed in in the past little over a year, it's not easy to come out and just perform at your best when you realize there are so many things that are so important.

So, no, we're not declining. We're here. I don't have to win this tournament to prove anything. I know that I'm out here and I know that I'm one of the best players out here.

Chunchun
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Serena :D :yeah:

joaco
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Q. The prevailing talk is that the Williams are "declining." Venus has lost. Do you feel you need to win this tournament to counter that sort of talk?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't ‑‑ I don't appreciate that language, to be honest with you. I'm tired of not saying anything, but that's not fair. We've been practicing really hard. We've had some serious injuries. I mean, I've had surgery. And after surgery, I got to the finals of Wimbledon. I don't know too many people that have done that.

Venus had a severe strain in her stomach. I actually had the same injury, but I didn't tear it the way she did. If I would have torn it, I wouldn't have been here. That's another understatement. She played a player yesterday that just played out of her mind and Venus made some errors that she probably shouldn't have made.

And to top it off, we have a very, very, very, very, very close family. To be in some situation that we've been placed in in the past little over a year, it's not easy to come out and just perform at your best when you realize there are so many things that are so important.

So, no, we're not declining. We're here. I don't have to win this tournament to prove anything. I know that I'm out here and I know that I'm one of the best players out here.
:worship:

Andy_
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:43 PM

That journalist really deserved this answer. Well done, Rena! :worship:

SilK
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:44 PM
:yeah:

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:54 PM
:bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce:

Hopefully, this wil, fire Serena up for Thursday.

Sportfan
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Well said Serena and completely correct.

tianitiani
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:07 PM
serena is brainier than most girls in the WTA including the dumb journalists.

xr6turbo
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:10 PM

thelittlestelf
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:33 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

DevilishAttitude
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't say they are *declining* but they will never dominate the tour again :)

rabbit_boi_313
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Go Serena
im rootin for u now :)

charmedRic
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:40 PM

Deira
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:41 PM
'nuff said
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::wors hip::worship::worship::worship::worship:

volta
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Oh Yeah I Loved The Way She Putted Them In The Right Place Back Off Bitches :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Martian Jeza
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:44 PM
serena is brainier than most girls in the WTA including the dumb journalists.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Martian Melissa
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Serena! :)

Jan 25th, 2005, 03:55 PM
I thought the sisters didn't need to play a lot of matches to win?!

ans
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:58 PM
She says so many things I can't appreciate but this time I totally agree with what she says. Well spoken:)

dreamgoddess099
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Perhaps you missed the most revealing thing Serena said as to why she and Venus haven't been at their best.
"And to top it off, we have a very, very, very, very, very close family. To be in some situation (No doubt she's talking about Yetunde's murder, the murder trial in which both suspects got off, and the ongoing custody battle for Yetunde's kids) that we've been placed in in the past little over a year, it's not easy to come out and just perform at your best when you realize there are so many things that are so important."

bmxbandit
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Simply the best.

Rocketta
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM
:yeah:

I know she wanted to say "Back off my sister biotch!" but I'll take this instead!

:worship: :worship: :worship: Serena!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Lolo8
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:38 PM
You can't have one postive thread about the sisters without some loser making negative comments. The Williams sister should be proud of themselves for raising the level of womens tennis. Alot of these girls coming up including Sharapova and Kustsanavova have modeled their g :p ames after the sisters. The tour is more physical and compettive. Now its up to the sisters to step up and be up for the challenge and try to raise the levels of their game. When the sisters are losing they are basically being beaten by their own game.

"Topaz"
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Good for you Rena! You should tape this answer and play it back whenever some bad azz wants to be cute. You can count on it, they'll keep coming.

BTW, I didn't know about this:...about Yetunde's murder, the murder trial in which both suspects got off, and the ongoing custody battle for Yetunde's kids.

Becool
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:32 PM
What? U think Homophobic Martina is? :rolleyes:

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Good for you Rena! You should tape this answer and play it back whenever some bad azz wants to be cute. You can count on it, they'll keep coming.

BTW, I didn't know about this:

Actually, one of the suspect is supposed to be retried sometime later this year.

SJW
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:41 PM
you can call serena many things but you cant say she doesnt give it to you straight. that sort of honesty is refreshing, and credit to her for not cussing them out cuz i would.

Mrs. Peel
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Serena is right...great response...I hope this fires her up!

Martian Willow
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:53 PM

she smarter than u

raquel
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Well said Serena ;)

I hope she wins the whole thing now, even more so now that Sveta's gone out. I certainly didn't see anything in Maria's play today that suggested Serena can't get to the final. Awful match today from Sveta :sad: Serena played well today though. I know Momo was not much of an opponent but she looked a lot better in all areas than she did in the Petrova match.

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Serena...GOTTA LOVE HER!!! :hearts:
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Richie77
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Go Serena! :yeah: It's great to see her finally stand up for herself and Venus. I hope she wins this tournament and shuts everyone up. :D

vettipooh
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Way to go Rena!!! Shut them up. Let your racket do some more talking!!!:yeah:

Martian Jeza
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:21 PM

Keep living in the past, I would say :wavey:

alias
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Well said!

pigam
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:29 PM
I often don't agree with what serena says, or the way she says it, but for this one:
R
E
S
P
E
C
T
!

She is right, and this was the only smart way to answer this question, altho I DO understand why the journalist asked the question.

Prizeidiot
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:20 AM
That's a very good response to a question that was really asking for a slamming

tennischick
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Serena don't waste your anger on the media. channel it into the match against Maria. you have my permission to crush her ;) ;)

dansnewbeg
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Don't get why this was such a bad question. It's not like the journalist said outright the sisters were "declining," just that it was the prevailing talk.

Now, I can definitely see why Serena would be sick of hearing that question, but the question itself wasn't that bad.

Paneru
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:40 AM
In a polite controlled manner Serena
gives a big "Fuck You!" :rocker:

It's about time! :cool:

Jericho
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:47 AM
:worship: serena :worship:

TS
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Go and win the tournament Serena :)

harloo
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:50 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

RVD
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:51 AM
This is why I respect and admire Serena. I always wondered when her replies would reflect her playing style...(direct and to the point), and finally, I get my wish. :worship: Put an exclamation mark on it with a trophy Serena!!!

lizchris
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:42 PM
If anyone was watching ESPN after the Lindsay/Molik match, you now know who asked Serena the question if the Williams sisters were in decline. It was Boston Globe columnist and NBC Sports analyst Bud Collins. When he was asked about it by Chirs Fowlwer, he admitted that Serena answered the question correctly and the only reason why he asked it because people have been coming up to him and asking him about the sisters. Fowler said that Venus' game was definitely in decline, but the same can't be said for Serena as she is playing for a spot in the final.

Brandon85
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:57 PM
serena sucks

xr6turbo
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:02 PM
serena sucks
Speak for yourself thanks.. Is that Capriati in your sig? :unsure: :tape:

RAA
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I do think that serena did very well coming back from her surgery and winning miami and getting to the finals of wimby and the quarters of the USO and the finals of the YEC.. but they are a victim of their own success.. you just expect to see them at LEAST in the finals, if not the semis a lot more than they have been recently.

i'm THRILLED to see Serena back in a GS semi and really hope she wins the whole darned thing !!

Mr. Man
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Serena is damn right. :kiss:

Deira
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:08 PM
"Venus had a severe strain in her stomach. I actually had the same injury, but I didn't tear it the way she did. If I would have torn it, I wouldn't have been here."

This is the part of the interview people refuse to comment on or even acknowledge. Venus TORE a muscle in her stomach which makes her recoup a whole lot longer and harder. Mark my words Venus will return with a vengence in 2005. GOOOOOOO VENUS :kiss::kiss::kiss:

Lolo8
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Come on people. Even when they were going to every single major final the commentators and a whole lot of people still put them down. It doesn't matter. I remember when they didn't play too many tournaments people crticized them then when they started playing more and winning people said it was bad for tennis. My advice to V&R is too ignore these people and live their lives. Keep having outside intersest. Don't bust your ass to please these misreable people.

serenafan08
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Well said Serena! It's about time she shut up her critics. Go kick ass today against Maria! :worship:

icequeen
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:12 PM
"Venus had a severe strain in her stomach. I actually had the same injury, but I didn't tear it the way she did. If I would have torn it, I wouldn't have been here."

This is the part of the interview people refuse to comment on or even acknowledge. Venus TORE a muscle in her stomach which makes her recoup a whole lot longer and harder. Mark my words Venus will return with a vengence in 2005. GOOOOOOO VENUS :kiss::kiss::kiss:

You are right they are not going to respond to this or the death of their sister. Anyway we all thought it was a strain and not a tear which is more serious. That is why Vee is not serving those big bombs anymore she's probably scared to reinjure it again. After she has strengthen the stomach muscel she probably will go back to hitting those big serves again.

icequeen
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Come on people. Even when they were going to every single major final the commentators and a whole lot of people still put them down. It doesn't matter. I remember when they didn't play too many tournaments people crticized them then when they started playing more and winning people said it was bad for tennis. My advice to V&R is too ignore these people and live their lives. Keep having outside intersest. Don't bust your ass to please these misreable people.

Well said.

bovina_forever
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:24 PM
well said by serana, and who said that they are not doing good they are in the top 10 after a year of not playing that is good if you ask me.

Denise4925
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Err, they ARE in decline. Mainly due to injuries, personal problems and lack of confidence.
If Serena is in decline, what does that say about the other players in this tournament who didn't make it to the semis? I think YOU are in denial. ;)

butch
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:50 PM
didn't serena say she was "the best" a couple of days ago? now she's "one of the best".... weird....

Diesel
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:01 PM
If Serena is in decline, what does that say about the other players in this tournament who didn't make it to the semis? I think YOU are in denial. ;)

Well, let's see, Venus and Serena are in a decline... Hingis shouldn't even come back. I mean wouldn't she be in such a horrible state... right? Clijsters, why even bother. Amelie, well we've seen her best haven't we? Henin, those mysterious illness bouts might as well call for retirement. Seles, do I hear crickets? How about Lindsay? Five years and no slam, does the #1 really save her here? That Russian domination that was just derailed? Looks like the Sisters are in good company :lol:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Did anybody see ESPN last night when they showed the video clip of her answering that question? She was like "I don't appreciate that language" and then puts down her purse before ripping into him:lol: LOL...that was her equivalent of the gloves coming off.;)

Fostin
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Serena Rocked the house.... AMAZING STATEMENT!!!

Denise4925
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Well, let's see, Venus and Serena are in a decline... Hingis shouldn't even come back. I mean wouldn't she be in such a horrible state... right? Clijsters, why even bother. Amelie, well we've seen her best haven't we? Henin, those mysterious illness bouts might as well call for retirement. Seles, do I hear crickets? How about Lindsay? Five years and no slam, does the #1 really save her here? That Russian domination that was just derailed? Looks like the Sisters are in good company :lol:
I know, it's like the haters turn a blind eye and refuse to see anything else. :rolleyes:

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Did anybody see ESPN last night when they showed the video clip of her answering that question? She was like "I don't appreciate that language" and then puts down her purse before ripping into him:lol: LOL...that was her equivalent of the gloves coming off.;)
She looked at him like if he wasn't an old man she would've beat him in the ground. :lol:

Melly Flew Us
Jan 27th, 2005, 01:23 AM
i think serena didn't really answer for venus just herself. but what more can she do, after all Venues' situation is worse and everyone is intrinsically selfish.

Philip
Jan 27th, 2005, 01:34 AM
very proud of serena's answer.

the question was good too.

:)

J_Migoe
Jan 27th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Serena rocks!!!

jenny161185
Jan 27th, 2005, 02:01 AM
now Im thinking SERENAS going to win tonight just because of this q - I cant wait for her acceptance speech at the final - ''Up yours Bud!''

Veegeta
Jan 27th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Err, they ARE in decline. Mainly due to injuries, personal problems and lack of confidence.

How is that possible when they're moving up in the ranks? :confused: :confused: