PDA

View Full Version : About Venus

Fingon
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:01 AM
I've read many threads, and comments in the the media about Venus's current level.

Many posters or even the media have suggested, some seriously, some just trying to created trouble, that Venus should retire, reason: she hasn't won a GS in 4 years.

and I've seen many Venus fans getting upset over it, I can understand that and obviously nobody has the right to tell a player when to stop.

the point is that, intentionally or not I don't believe it's demeriting Venus, by the contrary, I think it's a praise to her achievements.

Take a good player, let's say Silvia Farina-Elia, with all respect to Silvia, she hasn't won a GS and she was never expected to win one, so if Silvia losses in the 4th round of a major is a good achievement, if she wins a tier 3 everyone is happy.

Venus won a tier 1 and a tier 2 last year, but everyone including Venus is unhappy about it, why? it's more than most players achieve in their entire carreers.

the answer is simple, because eveyone expects more from Venus, because she has showed she can do it. Once you are a GS winner the expectation are greater, the standards are higher. Somebody said once that Venus raised the bar, and it's true, especially for herself, after winning Wimbledon and US Open back to back two years in a row, winning a tier 1 is a poor consolation, because people expect more. When people expect more it's because they sense someone is capable of more.

Rather than an insult I think it's a recognition to her achievements and her ability.

Well, enough mumbling, I am off to bed.

pav
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:20 AM
I should say about 98% of Players, if completely honest would gladly settle for Venus career and level! but of course the taller the poppy,the more We all want to get the snippers out and get to pruning

PhoenixStorm
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:01 PM
When people clamor for great players of any sport to retire its not a sign of respect its about those peoples' own selfishness and their own precious memories of watching a great player suceed and not wanting to watch them struggle to regain what they had.

Its really pathetic. Go get your own career and decide when you want to retire instead of living your life through someone elses achievements.

If venus never wins another slam she still has a great career and better than most players will ever have.

Davenport hasnt won a major in five years and yet people dont say her 2004 was bad.

Without changing her gameplan venus needs the perfect draw to win a slam now.