PDA

View Full Version : Maria's Strategy

Lolo8
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:34 AM
I don't know if you guys are aware but Tim Ryan mentioned it. You notice that Maria is the lone Russian standing.Maria lets her opponents use all their energy and stamina to take the first set. You notice that Maria takes her time and moves very slow during the first set, she is trying to save energy while the other opponent for example Kuzy runs out of steam during the scorching heat. All of a sudden Maria began to play faster and began to hit more winners during the last two sets. Maria let Kuzy take the first set.

tennnisfannn
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:38 AM
well it seems to work for her. She is becoming very like capriati in her slam winning days. She was the queen of three setters. I think some players need more time to get into a groove than others.

Maria Croft
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:44 AM
No she started wrong, she played defensive, once she figured out that it wasn't really working she started to attack more and make more winners.

Becool
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:44 AM
That doesnt look like a startegy for me..
It's that she actually doesn't play well at the first set, so she loses it..
No one would like to play three sets in Australia with that heat.. neither Maria would..

Sharapower
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:39 AM
My opinion is that the opponents overplay during the first set and then run out of gas and mental drive and then Maria just breezes.

The opponent's are afraid of Maria's attacking skills so they try to attack at first. They are probably right, I suppose if they don't try anything then Maria would win anyway, in straight sets.

Greenout
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:39 AM
The Aussie tv commentators said that Maria spoke to Yuri during
the break between sets from 2nd to 3rd? Is that allowed?

Sharapower
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:00 AM
The Aussie tv commentators said that Maria spoke to Yuri during
the break between sets from 2nd to 3rd? Is that allowed?
No it isn't allowed, she could have a coaching warning. Anyway, I think she just asked if she should take the heat rule break or not. But IMHO, she doesn't need Dad's agreement to decide that kind of stuff. It's the more or less annoying "I'm just 17" side of Masha.

skanky~skanketta
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:13 AM
maria constantly gets on court coaching so...maybe that's her strategy.

Sam L
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:30 AM
I don't know if you guys are aware but Tim Ryan mentioned it. You notice that Maria is the lone Russian standing.Maria lets her opponents use all their energy and stamina to take the first set. You notice that Maria takes her time and moves very slow during the first set, she is trying to save energy while the other opponent for example Kuzy runs out of steam during the scorching heat. All of a sudden Maria began to play faster and began to hit more winners during the last two sets. Maria let Kuzy take the first set.
That's what I was thinking too. I don't think that's her strategy but she has a lot of stamina and she does save the energy for the end rather than going out hard at the beginning.