PDA

View Full Version : Can Alicia do it?

Lemonskin.
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Beat Lindsay, I mean. Let's take this one step at a time ;)

In their last meeting (Filderstadt 2004) Alicia lost 6-1 6-0, an awful loss. But that came when Lindsay was on an absolute roll (and the tournament where she regained the #1 spot?).

This time, Alicia comes into the match full of confidence, having made the QF's of a slam for the first time (and her home GS, no less) and having beaten Venus Williams to get there.

How would Molik go about beating her? Against Venus, Molik showed massively improved athleticism compared to this time last few years. She also showed that she was quite adept at moving Venus (an excellent mover) around the court. This may be harder for Lindsay to handle. I think this will be the key to how Alicia performs, as well as (of course) her serve.

Lindsay has experience, and the #1 ranking on her side. We all know that on her day she's almost unbeatable. She's cruised through to the semi's, hardly challenged except for a one-set hiccup against Pastikova (were she duly went on to win the 2nd and 3rd sets 2 and 2).

Who else thinks Alicia can cause a massive upset? I believe she can :D

Whoever wins this match will most probably be the favorite for the semifinals, facing either Schnyder or Dechy.

Go Alicia!

Rollo
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:06 AM
After Myskina and Kuznetsova winning slams it's possible mates.

Lemonskin.
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Anyone else get the feeling this will be the biggest match of Alicia's career?

Benny
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Definantly, I really think she can topple Davenport and she has been playing excellent tennis.

bello
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Anything's possible, and although she probably wont win, this summer has been an absolutely awesome step for Molik...and hopefully she can now stay around that ranking and remain amognst the elite players!

Dave B
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:21 AM
I doubt it, but if she serves really well anything is really possible.

foreva lindsay
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:22 AM
no chance ;)

Becool
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:23 AM
I actually think she has a chance!
She needs to be smart, cuz Lindsay will play on her backhand, and Alicia just need to practice that.. I hope she reaches semifinals :) I'll be supporting her

tennnisfannn
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:58 AM
maria won wimbledon before she was in the top ten. alcia can most definitely do it. But she will need to back up her victory against venus which sometimes can be a bit tricky, there is so much excitement in the news about that win. It has the air of a final and emeotionally alicia is gonna need alot more in store when she comes up against lindsay.

pav
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:45 AM
I think Alicia has a good shot against Lindsay, specially if She can get Her first serve %s up, I had to laugh at the comms. they did admit They were totally biased, they were using Hawkeye for evidence of line calls and when a call went in Alicias favour and Hawkeye showed the call wrong They said that was the one%(or whatever %) that Hawkeye was wrong :lol:

Huntress555
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Alicia has a chance, she has a huge chance. She is full of confidence, and is playing such good tennis :):) LIke people have said Davenport hasn't really been tested yet, so here it is, I think alicia is better prepared...shes taken it up a notch each time, and will continue to do so. Lindsay might not be expecting whta alicia gives her. ALicia beat venus even when her serve was down, which i don't think will happen again. So with her serve back on track she ahs a great chance. GO ALICIA

Grohl
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:12 AM
yes she can!

Lemonskin.
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:21 AM
:D Good Luck tomorrow, Alicia! :D

blake's wife
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Go Alicia. I'm thinking right now that she has the ability to win that trophy- i hope this match against Lindsay will be better than serena and maria's wins.

tennislover
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:50 AM
lindsay is stronger...so........

Rachel
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I think Alicia is a great chance.
Like others have mentioned, she is in fantastic form and if she plays as well as she did vs. Venus then she will definitely hold her own. The exciting bit is that she a bit of an unknown quantity atm, I mean, she looks like she can play better!!! (How much better?! :)) I mean, she still has areas from Tues.'s game where she can improve on (unforced errors, back hand, a few wild/rushed shots at times...) and how much more confident would you be if you were in Alicia's situation after playing so well against & defeating VENUS WILLIAMS no less ... !!!

As you can probably tell lol I'm very excited about Alicia's prospects in this match :D
Go Moli.!

forever_rafter
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Go Alicia! Powodzenia ;)

heartBREAKeRS
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:11 AM
AKA NOT. Hallo we are talkin about the world nr 1, and frankly sorry Molik... Only Serena can beat Lindsay

Bezz
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I dont think she can, lindsay may not have the speed of venus, but she wont make as many errors, has a much better 2nd serve, will attack moliks backhand, plus her groundies have all players scrambling around the court.

Lindsay win 7-5 6-3 :cool:

gossipcom
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I'll say it wouldn't surprise me if she upset Lindsay - she's got the confidence and will have the crowd on her side.

DevilishAttitude
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I doubt it. Lindsay will win in straights if she's not injured. She won't be bothered by Alicia's serve or the crowd :)

thelittlestelf
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:14 PM
The thing is, Lindsay is about 20 times harder to move around the court than Venus. Of course Molik will be able to do this for a few points, maybe even a few games, but as soon as Lindsay gets a short ball or a somewhat easy shot, the point is over.

bis2806
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:17 PM
little chance, but Lindsay is not looking as good as she was towards the end of the year

alfajeffster
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Several things are working in Alicia's favor here, as opposed to Filderstadt. The Rebound Ace is a much slower, and higher bouncing surface, and actually favors Molik a little more because she has more time to get into position and work the point to where she can get Davenport moving. The big problem is that Lindsay is a much tougher returner than Venus, not only more consistent, but more potent- average returns are hit very deep and harder and flatter than anyone except Mary Pierce on a good day, and Lindsay has had lots more good days than Mary. I think Davenport will win in three, if her body holds out, and if it's not too hot. I'd like to see Molik come through, though.

LostInThe80s
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:47 PM
After Myskina and Kuznetsova winning slams it's possible mates.

Yeah that's exactly my attitude! :) The pressure is all really on Linds so an upset is not out of the question.

Elldee
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I think it's more to do with Lindsay than Alicia... and Lindsay isn't playing that well. Lindsay will either win a close match or tank and get hugely down on and frustrated with herself.

PhoenixStorm
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:42 PM
I will Do My Queen Lindsay Impersonation:

SHe has NO chance! Lindsay rules! Lindsay will crush her! Molik will lose no matter how aussie fans cheer her on! Serena and Venus always think they are better than everyone else!

Alek
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Go Lindsay.

steve2005
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Its possible but id give the edge to Lindsay, i think Alica may be feeling the pressure.

AlwaysGraf
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Someone mentioned that Serena is the only player that can beat Lindsay. The player who looks most comfortable playing and taking apart Davenport is Clijsters.

Lemonskin.
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:00 PM
:D Only 3 hours until the match starts... Good Luck Alicia :D

Mana
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:11 PM
I think she has a chance, but I don't think she will pull it off. I think the pressure mite get to her a bit. I would love to see Davenport really show her how it's done...give her a hiding...not because I don't like Molik, but because I think she needs a loss to get her head out of the clouds. I think Molik would benifit more from a loss that a win. Don't ask me why, I just do...

K.U.C.W-R.V
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Lets hope so cos I stand to win 300 if she lifts the trophy... Go Alicia!!!!

Monetary gain aside, I'd like her to win anyway cos I admire the way shes developed her game over the past couple of years & handled the pressure (so far). Also it would be nice for the Aussies to have a home winner.

SzavayFi
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Cmon Alicia i believe in u! :)

random_dude
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:04 AM
I think she has a chance, but I don't think she will pull it off. I think the pressure mite get to her a bit. I would love to see Davenport really show her how it's done...give her a hiding...not because I don't like Molik, but because I think she needs a loss to get her head out of the clouds. I think Molik would benifit more from a loss that a win. Don't ask me why, I just do...
lmao alicia is one of the most down to earth players out there..do i sense a bit of trans-tasman jealousy?

serenafan08
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:25 AM
I honestly don't think that Alicia will win - and it's not because she's not good enough at all. Lindsay is so focused right now; she wants to end her career with a bang. I think that she'll win this one, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Alicia jump on her if she doesn't come out strong. Alicia's story at this tournament has been a great one; I really like what she said after her match with Venus:

"This is a huge feat, I beat Venus. I beat her playing my tennis, and I didn't wait for her to make mistakes, and that's something I can be pretty proud of."

I wish her the best, but I think Davenport's got this one.

volta
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:31 AM
i hope not cuz i wanna see a final between Rena and Lindsay

Cat5
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:47 AM
After beating Venus I"m sure she is feeling pretty good about herself.
That's half the battle, believing in your abilities. I give her a good change.

azza
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Beat Lindsay, I mean. Let's take this one step at a time ;)

In their last meeting (Filderstadt 2004) Alicia lost 6-1 6-0, an awful loss. But that came when Lindsay was on an absolute roll (and the tournament where she regained the #1 spot?).

It also came when she had a injury that forced her out of the doubles

DavenportForever
Jan 26th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Well in my opinon i think Molik can win this match.......especially when Lindsay has bad footwork

Lindsay in 3 :confused: