PDA

View Full Version : Should Amelie become a full blown power player!

tennnisfannn
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Everybody knows she has the best arsenal of shots. But since they are not getting the job done, should she reconsider her game despite it's beauty. Before today's match, I expected and hoped serena would win as a fan, but my confidence in that was based more on the type of players that have troubled serena and it wasn't the 'let's mix it up for her' type. It was maria twice, lindsay twice and jen three times. that is a telling reality. Obviously there is more than serena in the draw but she is more likely to run into her in the quarters or semis.
Just because Loit and callens once gave serena the starts doesn't mean that is the style with which to beat serena.
This thread objectively asks what amelie can do against serena
Should amelie throw herself into her shots more.
Consider this too, the recent slam winners svetalana, maria (except myskina) are power players. Justine added power to her game to make the difference.
Thoughts anyone?

fammmmedspin
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:35 AM
No?

She is falling apart now - more power will just mean more wear.

If Serena is on you either have to play her game better with fewer errors and better strategy or make her play a different game. Neither is easy but playing her game when you are slower and less powerful just can't work unless her UE count is really significant?

Momo's problem is her body and her head which may be connected. She hasn't learnt to cope with expectation and either her head and/or her body freeze on the big equation. This AO has been classic - she took the Fed Cup off to train but only managed to injure herself by trying too hard and entered the event talking up her chances, and saying she now knew how to beat Serena , only to suffer a repeat of the olympic final. The girl needs help.

Jan 25th, 2005, 04:38 AM
It was a mistake to teach her those extreme grips in the first place. She would be amazing with flatter shots.

Volcana
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Amelie used to BE a 'full blown power player'. If you have a tape of the '99 OZ final, it' easy to see. She had repeated back problems however, which led to her developing her current game.

GoDominique
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Her game might have been beautiful a while ago - right now it's not.
I haven't seen this match, and I don't know how she was affected by injury. But to me there's no doubt that she would have probably lost anyway.
She has taken all the oomph off of her shots, she's so rarely going for them. What has happened to her backhand ??? She doesn't hit any winners with it.

Her shots are just ugly at the moment. They look so tense and slowed down, as if she's trying the hardest NOT to hit them hard.
Yes, she's winning 90% of her matches this way, but not the BIG ones.
I don't really know who taught her this, IMO that was a big mistake.

thelittlestelf
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:59 AM
The biggest problem with Amelie, for me, is her return. Nearly every first AND second serve she gets she slices back. It would be nice to see her flatten some out and use the slice when she gets into a rally, because often she slices when she's in an offensive position and it puts her back in a defensive one.

Becoming a full blown power player is not a good idea. Adding a little more power into her game is.

tennnisfannn
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Becoming a full blown power player is not a good idea. Adding a little more power into her game is.My point was it is that type of player that has been having the most success on the tour lately. If adding power added to justine's game, shouldn't it be the same for her?

Prizeidiot
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Amelie can keep her shots... she can hit hard, she just chooses not to. She needs to be more aggressive with what she has, not become an all out power player. She has the equipment to be great, she just needs to know how to use it.