PDA

View Full Version : Serena vs. Maria: Who has more pressure on them...

Jan 25th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Serena
1.Gotta protect the Williams name after big sister Venus was shown the door
2.Has been holding her hand out signaling #1 with her hand: She will look like a fool if she does not win.
3.Has not won a slam in many, many months
4.has lost to Maria 2 times on the "big stage"

Maria
1.Little to prove: She has gone way beyond anyone's expectations @ only 17.
2.Wants to keep a good H2H against Serena.
3.Crazy father
4.Managment Company

faboozadoo15
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:58 AM
i tend to think the pressure is on maria. really, she's got to keep ahead of the people she should be beating all the time, and serena is one of them. losing would be a setback. the us open was somewhat tolerable because it was so new to her to be one of the favorites... but this is a new year, and she will want to do really well right away.

Jan 25th, 2005, 05:00 AM
i tend to think the pressure is on maria. really, she's got to keep ahead of the people she should be beating all the time, and serena is one of them. losing would be a setback. the us open was somewhat tolerable because it was so new to her to be one of the favorites... but this is a new year, and she will want to do really well right away.

I don't agree with you. But we all know that Serena is GREAT in pressure situations.

maximus82
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Pressure is entirely on Serena.

She's been talking a big game, definitely feels as though she should be at the top of the tour, and is facing the player who dethroned her as the Queen of Wimbledon.

Winning this match will prove to everybody that she's back...losing it will only add strength to those doubting her ability to dominate again in the future...

Maria's situation is different...if she wins, people will be talking about whether we will begin to see maria domination a la seles. But if she loses, as long as it isn't a totally embarassing scoreline, it won't hurt that much - 'she's still young' and whatnot.

kabuki
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:06 AM

She's been talking a big game, definitely feels as though she should be at the top of the tour, and is facing the player who dethroned her as the Queen of Wimbledon.

Winning this match will prove to everybody that she's back...losing it will only add strength to those doubting her ability to dominate again in the future...

Maria's situation is different...if she wins, people will be talking about whether we will begin to see maria domination a la seles. But if she loses, as long as it isn't a totally embarassing scoreline, it won't hurt that much - 'she's still young' and whatnot.

'Nuff Said.

lucashg
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:07 AM
The pressure is on Serena. Lots of people have been bitching about how the Williams are not the same and they're focusing more on fashion than on tennis. My guess is that Serena wants to prove them all wrong and more importantly, get herself some confidence to go on as one of the top players.

People have been putting a lot of pressure on Maria too, but I don't think there will be articles saying that she will never win another slam again if she loses to Serena in their semifinal match. She already made it too far being the only russian GS winner of 04 left in the draw.

lucashg
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:10 AM

ITA, you said it all, even made my post look pointless, hehe.
I noticed that comparisson between Sharapova and Seles too, is this only because Davenport pointed out or people have noticed a while ago? ...

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Yeah, more pressure on Serena. She really needs this slam to shut people up.

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:12 AM
I don't see how the pressure is on Serena; she has already won this event (2003) as well as the other three. She has already suceeded in getting back to the top five and can go higher as she doesn't have anything to defend until late March. If anything, the pressure will be on Maria. Seven Russians were in the last 16 and she is the onlyn one left, whereas there is the great possibility that Lindsay will join Serena in the last four. She has to prove that she is no one Slam wonder and that Russia can win this tournament.

Jan 25th, 2005, 05:15 AM
I don't see how the pressure is on Serena; she has already won this event (2003) as well as the other three. She has already suceeded in getting back to the top five and can go higher as she doesn't have anything to defend until late March. If anything, the pressure will be on Maria. Seven Russians were in the last 16 and she is the onlyn one left, whereas there is the great possibility that Lindsay will join Serena in the last four. She has to prove that she is no one Slam wonder and that Russia can win this tournament.

I think the fact that many "Russians" don't consider her "Russian" means less pressure (that is why the Russians are losing to her).

Maria already won Wimbledon and followed it up with a YEC win ALL against Serena. She is only 17- A crazy age for someone so good. Look where all of Maria's Junior tennis mates are....hint...look outside the top 100.

GoDominique
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:16 AM
Serena.

Sharapower
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Maria won't have any pressure. But unfortunately she likely won't have anymore gas in her tank as well.

It's Serena's match to win.

Kabezya
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Both have pressure on them in their own ways. A loss for either one will reflect badly so I can't see Serena or Maria wanting to trade each other's circumstances.

10nisfanofruz
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Maria has nothing to lose. It's only her 3rd year playing in Australian open and she made it to semi final.:eek: Plus, she just became the no.1 russian by beating the US Open champion.
IF Maria lose in semi final, it won't do any damages.<She lose to "SERENA" the 2003 Australian Open champion :eek: anyway>
However, if Maria beat Serena, she will be even more famous.
That's why I think that the pressure is definitely on Serena.
If Serena lose to Maria, people may give up on her. She will definitely be disappointed because I think that she wants to come back and be No.1 again<she hinted by raising her index finger after beating her opponents> ;)