PDA

View Full Version : The inevitable?

Volcana
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:13 AM
I happen to be gettting the exact same feeling I had after the round of 16 at Wimbledon. That, for no particular reason, (other than the power of cumulative white-middle-aged-male fantasy), Sharapova is going to win the tournament.

There is nothing associated with reason attached to this feeling. It's best described as dread. But still, there it is.

XaDavK_Kapri
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:15 AM
I happen to be gettting the exact same feeling had after the round of 16 at Wimbledon. That, for no particular reason, other thanthe power of cumulative white-middle-aged-male fantasy, Sharapova is going to win the tournament.

THere is nothing associated with reason attached to this feeling. It's best described as dread. But still, there it is.
You're quite encouraging

fammmmedspin
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Unless someone rediscovers the ability to play two good sets against her you may well be right.

ginger_fish668
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:22 AM
And that's a problem cos.... :scratch:

Andrew.
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:23 AM
I think Serena beats her.

kabuki
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Volcana, kindly shut the fuck up. :lol:

Grachka
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:24 AM
And that's a problem cos.... :scratch:
Cos' she's a one-dimensional, all=swinging, robotic clothes horse? :p ;)

Seriously, I was getting seriously irritated with her fist-pumping in the Kuznetsova match. And i don't get that irritated easily.

vertigo
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:25 AM
I happen to be gettting the exact same feeling had after the round of 16 at Wimbledon. That, for no particular reason, other thanthe power of cumulative white-middle-aged-male fantasy, Sharapova is going to win the tournament.

THere is nothing associated with reason attached to this feeling. It's best described as dread. But still, there it is.

I'm getting the same dread in the pit of my stomach. She has not played a champions game and yet somehow is into the semi's. But chin up, she may actually play some champion style tennis against serena in which case, good on her.

vertigo
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:28 AM

Seriously, I was getting seriously irritated with her fist-pumping in the Kuznetsova match. And i don't get that irritated easily.

The fist pumping has to stop. Please would some player actually complain to the umpire. it's really really unpleasant to watch.

Volcana
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:34 AM
She's still here. She beat the US Open champ, which is probably the surface closest to this one, and she beat Serena at Wimbledon. This is a slower court, which I think favors Serena, but Sharapova has the ability to raise the level of her game. SO does Serena of course, but losing a first set 1-6 is simply no indicator of inning and losing with Sharpaova.

Volcana
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Volcana, kindly shut the fuck up.That would be a 'no'. But rest assured you're in good company.:)

RVD
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:25 AM
I happen to be gettting the exact same feeling I had after the round of 16 at Wimbledon. That, for no particular reason, other thanthe power of cumulative white-middle-aged-male fantasy, Sharapova is going to win the tournament.

There is nothing associated with reason attached to this feeling. It's best described as dread. But still, there it is.Nah. Serena's gonna be just fine. I will honestly be surprised if Serena loses against Maria this time around. At the YEC, Serena was on her way to a comanding win til she injured herself, which tells me that she's figured out Maria's game. Either way, it's gonna be a slug-fest. Whoever wins this will more likely do it in 2.
Good luck to both. :wavey:

Of course, I pick Rena to win. :kiss:

Sharapower
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:42 AM
I'm an unconditionnal Maria's fan but honestly, I think she's grilled, roasted. She won't make it to the final unless Serena helps her.

Leo_DFP
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:47 AM
I have had a similar dread ever since she beat Lee-Waters. My money's on her to win. Hopefully I'll be losing money by week's end.

ginger_fish668
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:48 AM
I actually think Serena has the edge in this one. I think the heat and fatigue has gotten to her. I still hope that it'll be a closely contested match no matter who comes out on top.

maximus82
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:56 AM
I wish i felt the same way Volcana!

I'm a big Maria fan, but get the same type of gut feeling that Serena will definitely make the final.

I like most of the players left in the draw, but am seriously hoping for a davenport win, so perhaps I should be most heavily rooting for an extended 3-set Rena-Maria SF...

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Either way, neither one will blow the other off the court. If Serena stays calm and tries to keep the erros low...she'll be fine.

bello
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:56 AM
omg am i really gonna say this considering i was never a williams supporter back in the capriati vs. williams and williams vs. everyone days....

GO SERENA!!!!! TAKE THE TITLE!!!!!!!!

tennisjunky
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:28 AM
i wanted maria to win wimbledon, i wanted maria to win the YEC, now i want serena to win the ausralian, so you know what that means. either way, one of my 2 favs is going to be in the final, but i really do hope it is serena this time.

Fingon
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:50 AM
The fist pumping has to stop. Please would some player actually complain to the umpire. it's really really unpleasant to watch.
Yes, and probably the umpire will ask the player to point out where in the rules fist pumping is not allowed :rolleyes:

what a waste of cyberspace.

abbygael
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:22 AM
yes maria will win!!!! thats a sure thing!!

Rocinante
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:57 AM

Then I guess you don't watch Hewitt matches then, do you? :p

skanky~skanketta
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:21 AM
serena is black, she has dark muscle which should be better in tthe heat. and she's serving well too. and she's determined tthis time.

ahhh who am i kidding. i get that same goddamn feeling. god please let me be wrong and let serena win!

Lemonskin.
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:37 AM
I think Serena beats her.
I think Molik beats her in the final :D

Grohl
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:40 AM
that feeling is completely unknown to me!
I'd say alicia will win!!!!

Sam L
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Right now, this is Serena's tournament to lose. If she plays her best, no one will even come close.

switz
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:44 AM
i think if sharapova plays the way she has serena will crush her - but i do feel she has been playing at such a low level that she is eventually going to play a very good match and then things will get interesting.

Experimentee
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I think Serena will win but Sharapova is looking impressive. I think both of them would beat anyone on the other half. If Serena plays her best she should win. Sveta should have put Maria away had she sustained her level but she didnt. I think Serena is better at sustaining a high level of tennis over a match.
Maria's mental strength may be the difference though. It was impressive how she only lost the 1st set 6-4 when she should have lost 6-2 or even worse than that.

Andy T
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I agree with Experimentee that the winner of this semi is likely to win the whole thing, though Dav has glided through very quietly in the top half and may be a bit fresher if Molik has a let down in the qf. Mentally, Masha's a bit tougher right now and riding high on confidence but Serena is a woman on a mission. It's going to be a gloves-off fight to the death! I wonder if fitness will play a part should the match get tight.

the cat
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Volcana, if you watched Sharapova beat Kuznetsova in that gutsy effort you would know she's out of gas and will be easy prey for a well rested Serena who basically had a walkover against Mauresmo. Masha usually plays at a slow pace but because of the searing Australian heat she looked like she was playing in slow motion against Kuznetsova. :eek: And asking a 17 year old AER girl like Sharapova to play in this oppresive heat and win the 2005 Australian Open is asking too much of her so early in her career. Masha has had much tougher matches than Serena and she's had to exert alot more enregy in her matches than Serena has. Serena certainly has the upper hand going into their semifinal match and that cannot be denied.

jlamire
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:33 PM
You don't need so much good tennis in this tournament... In my opinion it's more like fitness and mental strength competition...so let's see who's the best combination tennis+mental+fit....I'm not sure it's Serena or Maria at all.

the cat
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Good point jl. And the players haven't even had a chance to build up any stamina yet because it's so early in the tennis season.

And I am irked that Tennis Australia closed the roof for the Safin/Hrbaty match after letting the women play weary poor quality tennis in the oppresive heat. :mad:

Martian Melissa
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I really think that Lindsay or Molik will win the title!

the cat
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:25 PM
With the creampuff draws Davenport and Molik have had compared to Sharapova one of them should win the title.

ys
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Roger Federer:

First Slam Win - Wimbledon
Next Slam - early round loss
Next Big Win - Year End Championships
Next Slam - Champion

Maria Sharapova:

First Slam Win - Wimbledon
Next Slam - early round loss
Next Big Win - Year End Championships
Next Slam - ???

:lol:

Kart
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:18 PM
A bit of reverse psychology Volcana - I like it :).

Why couldn't you have done this before Venus faced Molik :mad:.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Folks, two words:

LINDSAY DAVENPORT

Jaime Bahena
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Right now, this is Serena's tournament to lose. If she plays her best, no one will even come close.

"If she plays her best...." That's what I'm afraid of. If "ifs and buts" were fruits and nuts, what a merry Christmas we would all have.

Prizeidiot
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:37 AM
I think Serena can beat Maria and would be favourite, based on her form leading up to the match. What is in the back of my mind though, is the possibility that Serena has a mental block. I know she got injured and all in the YEC, but maybe she just didn't think she could win. I know Serena has never been one to lack confidence, far from it, but it's just a thought. I hope she proves me wrong

Volcana
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:21 AM
My feelings haven't changed, but I AM enjoying the match.

1-6 7-5 (or 6-1 7-5 if you're... on of THOSE ... Sharapova fans... :))

Volcana
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:42 AM
When the match started, Serena was guiding the ball, and Sharapova was hitting with convicted.

In the last third of the second set, Serena started hitting with conviction.

Here in the third set, BOTH players are guiding the ball, instead of hitting with conviction.

I think Sharapova HAS more conviction, at this moment in time, but if she lets Serena lure her into a tactical match, Serena will win.

Sharapova needs to let it all hang out, and try to overpower Serena.

Serena needs to do everything she can to make this a mentla match, not a physical one.

Princess Sarah.
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:50 AM
i think maria is also going to win the tournament

Volcana
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:03 AM
I thought Sharapova had it there. Instead 5-5.

Volcana
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Well, you can say a lotta things, but Serena showed up for this match. And if Sharapova wins it, she's just better. Nothing else to say except that at 23 Serena has a lot of room to improve.

And it's turned into a match worth wating for.

I expect Sharapova to turn it up right NOW.

Greenout
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Well, you can say a lotta things, but Serena showed up for this match. And if Sharapova wins it, she's just better. Nothing else to say except that at 23 Serena has a lot of room to improve.

And it's turned into a match worth wating for.

I expect Sharapova to turn it up right NOW.

Serena wasn't great in all 3 sets. First set totally outplayed,
second set just hanging on by Sharpy choked..

Sort of woke up in the past games..and to save match points.

Volcana
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:19 AM
7-6 Serena in the third. I'm officially shocked. Good fuckin' match. Took it a while. Sharapova wins this, she's kinda of officially realy fuckin' good.

maximus82
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:34 AM
lol, told ya so volcana!

Would be upset that maria lost (she didn't take her opportunities in set 2 or 3...), but the match was so crazy good at points that I'm not going to be bitter....rather am happy to see the first match in forever to get me freaking out in front of my tv.

My feeling that Rena will storm to another title is still one match from being confirmed...

Volcana
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:39 AM
lol, told ya so volcana!

Would be upset that maria lost (she didn't take her opportunities in set 2 or 3...), but the match was so crazy good at points that I'm not going to be bitter....rather am happy to see the first match in forever to get me freaking out in front of my tv.

My feeling that Rena will storm to another title is still one match from being confirmed...I was SO fucking wrong! Okay, I'm a Venus fan, and maybe I tend to doubt Serena because I'm so fucking MAD at her! But this was ..... this was knock-down drag-out, rip-tear-claw BEAT-down last girl-standing!

I stand humbled and corrected. I'm still a Venus-fan, but fucking ALL HAIL SERENA!