PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams vs. Maria Sharapova: Part IV.

Andrew.
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Who will win part IV of this epic rivalry?

http://www.australianopen.com/images/players/wtaw234.jpg

World number seven, #7 seed Serena WILLIAMS (USA).

The former world number one who overpowered a weary Amelie Mauresmo in the quarters.

http://www.australianopen.com/images/players/wtas961.jpg

World number four, #4 seed Maria SHARAPOVA (RUS).

The young 2004 shocker who outlasted Sveltana Kuznetsova in blistering hot conditions to reach the semifinals.

The Head-to-Head lead is currently owned by the world number four Russian, 2-1.

The match is sure to be exciting. Which star will come out with the win. Voice it NOW.

thelittlestelf
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Serena is playing "2000 notches" above Sharapova's level ATM.

So... Serena ;).

mrush2004
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:07 AM
its weird that the last two times that serena has played maria, serena has beaten amelie to get here. This is the third time. its strange.

good luck masha :)

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:11 AM
It will be a close 3 setter. I want Serena to win, but really it's anyone's game.

XaDavK_Kapri
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Last two times I said Serena would teach her a lesson... Since I don't learn from my mistakes, I still hope Serena teaches her a lesson! :lol: In two or three sets, I don't give a shit, as long as Serena wins.

RenaSlam.
Go Serena!!!!!!!!!!!!!

St.Sebastian
Serena will choke, Masha will get through in 3 sets

LindsayRocks89
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:15 AM
If Serena keeps the errors down i'm really hoping she can get through this match. I will be cheering for you all the way and i have faith you will come out on top Serena :D

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:17 AM
I'm sorry, but Serena has the edge here. Sharapova has played three three setters and not too well. In fact, she has only played one really good match. On the other hand, Serena has only had one bad match (against Petrova) and her serve was on today. If she can mentally get over the fact that she has lost to Sharapova the last two times, she should win.

Chunchun
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Serena :yeah:

lucashg
its weird that the last two times that serena has played maria, serena has beaten amelie to get here. This is the third time. its strange.

It is strange, she is jinxed. But this time she has better chances to defeat Sharapova. Serena hasn't wasted as much energy as Sharapova has so far and she seemed totally bothered by the heat. So this time I'll give the edge to Serena.

But both are of the fighter kind, so I'd say it will be a close, exciting match that will last three sets. I'm also hoping to see less unforced errors than in their previous matches.

flyingmachine
This will be a very interesting match. I think this is a very important match. Whoever wins it will win the title. ;)
Go Maria!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mishar
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:33 AM
I'm rooting for Serena, but I don't think we can judge from their previous play in the tournament or their previous h2h. I'm sure it will be a very competitive match and it's a whole new ballgame on Wed

Mrs. Peel
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:35 AM

The big difference this time is that Serena didn't have to battle in 3 sets...

faboozadoo15
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:48 AM
i think maria will still win. she's toughed it out against kuznetsova who is a damned good player, and serena hasn't really faced the kind of consistent power maria dishes out. sorry, petrova just doesn't count... she was crap and never cinsistent at any point in the match. maria has had tricky opponents, and she has figured them all out after a while and rolled over each of them the rest of the match. she knows what she will be getting from serena, and she knows she can handle it. she will need to serve a little better than she did today, and i think she will.

tennisIlove09
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:50 AM
H2H
2004 Miami: Serena 6-4 6-3
2004 Wimbledon: Maria 6-1 6-4
2004 YEC: Maria 4-6 6-2 6-4

Serena's looked better this event, but Maria, imo, has more confidence right now.

maximus82
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:16 AM
IMO, Serena has *not* been all that impressive this tournament, in my mind. She simply hasn't had much of an opportunity to - aside from Petrova, her opponents have been pretty much lame ducks.

Sharapova has shown some great grit against players putting up greater challenges than you'd expect.

The important questions: Will Maria be tired? Will the much superior opposition she faced in the QF help her out? How will Serena handle a player that hits much harder and fights much stronger than her previous 5 opponents?

Leo_DFP
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Neither has been that impressive. Then again, no one in the women's draw has.

I think Sharapova in 3.

Venus+Serena#1fan
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:00 AM
I think Serena has been in better form throughout the tournament, and she will take Maria much more seriously this time.

She knows she would've beat her in LA had she not been injured, so i know Rena is out for revenge. Also, Maria has had a couple of back to back exhausting matches, so Serena has a major advantage physically, that she needs to take advantage of.

At Wimbledon, though Maria was agressive, Rena was very passive and defensive.
In LA, Maria again agressive and Serena had agressive and tentative patches...and she almost won.

In Melbourne, Serena is 100% fit, and back to her agressive A game, So Rena should defenetley win!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Rena should go watch a tape of the YEC final. Especially the beginning of the 3rd set when she went on a tear taking a 4-0 lead.

aime
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:27 AM
I'm sick and tired of this stuff, it's the same all over again. Serena beats Amelie, than against Sharapova somehow she'll get hurt and lose the match, than Sharapova will play the final probably against Lindsay, Lindsay will win the first set afterwards something bad will happen (I don't know what)and Sharapova will recover and win. The same story all over again, like the draws and matches are fixed up by someone with no imagination and it's getting boring to watch, somehow!

Becool
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:29 AM
I'm sick and tired of this stuff, it's the same all over again. Serena beats Amelie, than against Sharapova somehow she'll get hurt and lose the match, than Sharapova will play the final probably against Lindsay, Lindsay will win the first set afterwards something bad will happen (I don't know what)and Sharapova will recover and win. The same story all over again, like the draws and matches are fixed up by someone with no imagination and it's getting boring to watch, somehow!
Let's have faith that this time someone will stop Sharapova :)

mandy7
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:33 AM
I'm thinking (and hoping) Masha in 3

tennisjunky
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:35 AM
if it is straight sets then serena wins, no question
if it is tight in the third then maria wins, no question
if maria gets to an early lead serena will fight to make it competitive, but probably lose
if serena gets an early lead maria will fight but wont be able to make close and serena will win

AjdeNate!
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Serena hasn't been pushed anywhere close to having to play her best tennis, Maria has. We'll see who can bring it. I think Serena's gonna Slam again, personally just my opinion.

abbygael
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:28 AM
maria has the edge!!!!

Andy.
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:13 AM
I would love Maria to win. Anyways it should be a terrific Match i predict a 3 setter. Serena seems to be getting her Champion A game back which is almost unbeatable. I give a slight edge to Serena. Go Masha

tennislover
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:39 AM
I hope maria in three.....she can do that......
nerves will be crucial.........and Maria is very strong mentally

heartBREAKeRS
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Go Serena..... Beat Maria BIG time, and put her in the MINI seats.. SHow her who is the boss here;)

TakeThat
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Serena has been playing a lot better then Maria. She hasn't been tested (well, the Petrova match was not really a test) because she's been head & shoulders above the competition. Maria struggles in the sun, Serena seems ok with it. I would be shocked and awed :p if Sharapova won the match.

Daniel
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Go Maria :D

Greenout
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Finally got to watch the HK Watson's water exhibition event
match last night on tv.

Ok- so I've seen her match from Chiang Mai, HK and the ones
except round 1 at Melbourne.

She's gotten better with each one, more focused. The shots are
still the same as last year, nothing different. No style or strategy
change; but she's been gaining confidence with each one.

Sorry- but she's a WTA tennis machine now, and a better mover
than Serena on the court at the moment.

Maria in two sets.

ajayares
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I watched both Serena and Sharapova's matches today, in the 6th row. If form is anything to go by Serena will win and comfortable at that too. Sharapova was very lucky to win today, if Kuznetsova didn't go into her shell after winning the 1st set, she would have won for sure. She was overpowering Sharapova in the first set and was going for her first serve 170's to 180's on a consistent basis and once she broke in the 1st game of the second set she reverted back to basically serving a 2nd serve for her first serve, lucky to make 130's km. I don't know what the hell went on with her. I don't think Sharapova played much differently from the 1st to 3rd sets, where as Kuznetsova dropped off about 2 levels. I mean not to hold serve in either of the 2nd and 3rd sets was pretty disappointing. As for Serena's match, she was quite impressive, sure Amelie didn't play well at all, due to injury, however the whole key with Serena is her unforced error count, about 15 or 16 today which is good for her. I must say it took a little time for her to start hitting her serve properly though, her first few serve games she was just getting it in, then that changed later in the first set.

I would be shocked if Serena lost, however one thing is for sure Sharapova's Dad will be there coaching her like always, you can actually hear him and I was situated directly opposite him. I think it is about time they had officials sitting in the each of the player’s boxes. Sure you may say they don't play the points, but if you can't think for yourself on the court, you shouldn't be there.
So if you like betting on tennis,like I do, put the house on Serena, you won't be wrong;)

ajayares
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:40 AM
and a better mover than Serena on the court at the moment.

You got to be kidding, try sitting in the stand and watch them play and not just off the TV. Serena is still the best mover around a tennis court.

Greenout
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I watched both Serena and Sharapova's matches today, in the 6th row. If form is anything to go by Serena will win and comfortable at that too. Sharapova was very lucky to win today, if Kuznetsova didn't go into her shell after winning the 1st set, she would have won for sure. She was overpowering Sharapova in the first set and was going for her first serve 170's to 180's on a consistent basis and once she broke in the 1st game of the second set she reverted back to basically serving a 2nd serve for her first serve, lucky to make 130's km. I don't know what the hell went on with her. I don't think Sharapova played much differently from the 1st to 3rd sets, where as Kuznetsova dropped off about 2 levels. I mean not to hold serve in either of the 2nd and 3rd sets was pretty disappointing. As for Serena's match, she was quite impressive, sure Amelie didn't play well at all, due to injury, however the whole key with Serena is her unforced error count, about 15 or 16 today which is good for her. I must say it took a little time for her to start hitting her serve properly though, her first few serve games she was just getting it in, then that changed later in the first set.

I would be shocked if Serena lost, however one thing is for sure Sharapova's Dad will be there coaching her like always, you can actually hear him and I was situated directly opposite him. I think it is about time they had officials sitting in the each of the player’s boxes. Sure you may say they don't play the points, but if you can't think for yourself on the court, you shouldn't be there.
So if you like betting on tennis,like I do, put the house on Serena, you won't be wrong;)

During the match today, they said that Maria spoke to Yuri
during the break before the 3rd set.

Is this allowed?

Greenout
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:51 AM
You got to be kidding, try sitting in the stand and watch them play and not just off the TV. Serena is still the best mover around a tennis court.

Maybe... I'm sure it's different in person than on the tv.
I'll have to consider this in my opinions.

ajayares
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:58 AM
During the match today, they said that Maria spoke to Yuri
during the break before the 3rd set.

Is this allowed?
When they left the court for the 10 minute break, he left aswell, I doubt he spoke to her though. It isn't allowed, unless there is a rain break. However when he came back, he came back with a bag of drinks he passed a special drink to the ball boy to pass onto Maria.. knowing him though, he probably had messages written all over it;) only joking.

Greenout
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:00 PM
When they left the court for the 10 minute break, he left aswell, I doubt he spoke to her though. It isn't allowed, unless there is a rain break. However when he came back, he came back with a bag of drinks he passed a special drink to the ball boy to pass onto Maria.. knowing him though, he probably had messages written all over it;) only joking.

The Aussie commentators said he did speak to her. This
is why I'm confused? They said he told her which
certain shots which Sveta wasn't hit well from the 2nd set on,
and she'll listen because she's a good at getting coached.

Bezz
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:04 PM
My first thoughts are that serena will win, however based on recent results my head says maria.

This one is really 50/50 :unsure: :shrug:

Maria Croft
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:34 PM
To be honest i want Serena to win, last time they played she had an injury and couldn't finish it off, I think this time Serena should win to make it 2-2 and win this grand slam, but if she wins I'm hoping a great 3 -set victory !!

Experimentee
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Serena looked more impressive than Maria today, but you never know with her. One day she can play great and the next day hit about 50 unforced errors. If she keeps her level though, she will beat Maria.

RAA
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I think this could shape up to be a great rivalry. Maria IS supremely confident these days and I do think she is hitting harder and deeper than Serena. Maria MIGHt be tired from yesterday's match but she's pretty young - at 17 I would hope that a three setter like wouldn't wipe you out. Serena is not QUITE as confident as she once was.. but i think she is SOooo hungry for another slam...

I think serena in 3... I do think that Serena could have won the YEC (while at Wimby Maria *completely* outplayed her) had she not gotten injured (of course you never know).

all I know is that i'll be very tired at work on thursday.

cheo23
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:08 PM
SERENA is Lookin FOR REVENGE
I don't SEE her LOsin 3 Matches In a ROW TO MARIA
but ANything can Happen
Yeah Maria's Played about THREE Matches going 3 SETS
she's more tired & exhausted
but WE'll SEE
GOOD LUCK TO BOTH Players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:12 PM
If it is moderately hot, Serena will beat Maria because all she has to do is run her all over the court and get her tired and force errors. It was obvious that the heat didn't affect Serena.

Piotr'ek
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:33 PM
1st set will goes to Serena - 100% sure about it, every money on it

But in other sets everything can happen...

Jaime Bahena
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Serena is playing "2000 notches" above Sharapova's level ATM.

So... Serena ;).

That's what people said prior to 2004 Wimbledon. According to one sportswriter, Masha had a "snowball's chance in hell" of winning. Figure it out, please.

joaco
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I think it'll be Serena's way, though Maria will not give up without a fight

cheo23
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:44 PM
That's what people said prior to 2004 Wimbledon. According to one sportswriter, Masha had a "snowball's chance in hell" of winning. Figure it out, please.
Exactly
Hardly ANyOne Except I think TRACY AUSTIN
Predicted Maria would win
BUT WHATEVer...
On that Day..Maria took it to SERENA
Will SERENA GEt her REVENGE??????
We'll SEE !
GOOD LUCK TO BOTH Top 10 Players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Venus+Serena#1fan
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I think Serena will be ready. She's not gonna be very lazy and nervous like she was at Wimbledon where she couldn't move her feet at all, completly allowing Maria to dominate her.

And she won't be injured like at the YEC where she had her beat. Serena (aside from the petrova match) has looked extremley Serene and relaxed, very calm and focused between points, exactly how she was during the "Serena Slam" unlike in 04.

She has been hitting much better angles than Sharapova, and much more winners to unforced errors. This time Maria ain't getting 60 mile an hour serves for a set and a half. All Rena has to do is play her game and execute, if she does, she is still a greater player than Sharapova by all means.

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Exactly
Hardly ANyOne Except I think TRACY AUSTIN
Predicted Maria would win
BUT WHATEVer...
On that Day..Maria took it to SERENA
Will SERENA GEt her REVENGE??????
We'll SEE !
GOOD LUCK TO BOTH Top 10 Players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW, where is Tracy to pump up her charge.

Damn, even Pam had to admit that Serena will move on to the final.

cheo23
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:48 PM
BTW, where is Tracy to pump up her charge.

Damn, even Pam had to admit that Serena will move on to the final.
TRACy Austin Is NOWHERE TO BE Found :lol:

xan
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Serena didn't have Maria beat at the YEC. Maria was coming back before the injury showed itself.

I too think its funny that the same old pattern has emerged.

Maria fights her way back from a set and a break down to get into the match.
Serena puts the Smackdown on Momo to get into the match.

Could it be the same result? I wouldn't put it past Maria after that recovery against Kuznetsova. Serena has had less energy expeded this time to get to this point though. However Maria has the advantage of two consecutive wins.

alfajeffster
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:53 PM
One thing that was very interesting to see during Serena's straight-sets win over Amelie was how many high backhands Williams took and drove cross-court at shoulder height, to where she was actually hitting down into the court for winners almost every time. This is a key, because if she's been practicing this shot, it can and will be very effective, because the last few times we saw them play, it was on faster courts, and when Maria is stretched wide, she does loop the ball deep like Amelie, and this slower surface actually makes those balls sit up for Serena to crack winners off both sides. I think this surface is actually going to hurt Maria a little more than the YEC carpet or Wimbledon grass.

Becool
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Will the match live it to the expectations? :o

I hope so.. but these expected matches, usually end being fast, boring and well.. I won't say anything more :sad:

So damn nervous..

cheo23
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:58 PM
One thing that was very interesting to see during Serena's straight-sets win over Amelie was how many high backhands Williams took and drove cross-court at shoulder height, to where she was actually hitting down into the court for winners almost every time. This is a key, because if she's been practicing this shot, it can and will be very effective, because the last few times we saw them play, it was on faster courts, and when Maria is stretched wide, she does loop the ball deep like Amelie, and this slower surface actually makes those balls sit up for Serena to crack winners off both sides. I think this surface is actually going to hurt Maria a little more than the YEC carpet or Wimbledon grass.
yeah But Maria doesn't really hit HIgh BALLS to SERENA
SHE Powers that BALL & causes some errors
1st SET at YEC was VERY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

Maria Croft
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Will the match live it to the expectations? :o

I hope so.. but these expected matches, usually end being fast, boring and well.. I won't say anything more :sad:

So damn nervous..

yeah, I'm afraid it's going to be boring !! just hoping they will both play a great match !!

John.
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Maria in 3. SHE is the player to beat right now.

CanIGetAWhat
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Serena in three tough sets.

bandabou
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Hmmm.....that Momo jinx is one tough jinx....hopefully Serena can find a way to break it. Go babygirl...don't be nervous. relax, relax....

G1Player2
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:51 PM
This surface will definitely be better for Serena than Maria...

Wiggly
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Serena 6-4 7-6(5)

Chandafan13
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:15 PM
This is a very hard match to predict...

Sharapova has the H2H lead, but I must admit she has been un-impresive after winning Wimbledon to me at the Slams. She had a job well done at the YEC's, but at last year's French and U.S. Open's she just really didn't have it, and I am starting to think she is one of those players that will under-perform at Slams but do very well at other tournaments, thus keeping her ranking up ala Capriati over the last few years.

Regardless, she has reached a Grand Sam SF after pulling through a tough match. I commend her on that. However, she has yet to wow me here. She has had a couple three set matches, and even in the ones she has won pretty comfortably she hasn't looked in her top form.

I must say, Serena hasnt looked too impressive either. She is playing solid tennis and pulling out great numbers, but I don't think she's back at that A-level just yet. Is she on her way? For sure. But not yet...

This match is either going to be extremely close or a blow-out. No in between. Going in, I would give Serena the advantage. She played more impressive in her QF match and, possibly most important, she has lost both of her previous matches to Sharapova, the latter of which she should have won. Serena is, as she has said in the past, a player who goes for blood when she's playing someone she has lost too in the past. Considering it's Sharapova who beat her in a high profile GS final and at the YEC's (a match Serena should have won,) Serena will be playing 10 times harder than normal, right from the starting gate.

I think the heat and fatigue will also be a factor here. Not just in yesterdays match, but the tournament in general, Sharapova has shown small signs of struggle with the atmosphere, and I think this will only hurt her. She is going to need to be at her top form 100% of the time to win here or even make it competitive, and I just don't think she'll be able to. Even Serena's game at B-level could handle easily Sharapova at anything below her A.

Regardless, I believe the tournament winner will come from here. This will be a great match and yet another chapter in this soon to be historic rivalry.

Prediction:

(7) S. Williams d. (4) M. Sharapova 6-4, 6-2

steffilover
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:58 PM
I voted for maria....I haven't seen focus and sheer determination written on a player's face like this since monica, and we know what a great match player she was.
I also feel serena will end up injuring herself, or there will be some kind of twist to the match. I go for 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 or serena pulling out. just a hunch.:angel:

Hachiko
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Go Masha, kick her!

serenafan08
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:20 AM
"Do you know what time it is? A QUARTER PAST PAYBACK."

-This is the mentality that Serena will have when she plays Maria tomorrow. Her drive to win this title will be the factor that pulls her through it. She doesn't lose to anyone three times in a row. I'm picking her to win it in either two tough sets or three. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see Maria fight this one out. But I'll go with Serena.

G_Slammed
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I also feel serena will end up injuring herself, or there will be some kind of twist to the match. I go for 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 or serena pulling out. just a hunch.

You mean a prayer.

jenny161185
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:31 AM
I think Serenas going to come out firing but if Maria can hang with her and isnt too tired from the heat and matches - then it should get really interesting

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:18 AM
I think Serena will come out firing like she did in the 1st set of the YEC. But Maria is known for fighting back hard once she's behind. So it will be interesting.

Sammm
Jan 26th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I'm scared that Maria will win for the third time in a row :tape:
Maria lost to Amelie and then beat Serena, so I don't think it must matters how well/ badly she played against Sveta.

daniela86
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I'm thinking (and hoping) Masha in 3
ditto :p :p udachiiii masha!! :rocker2: :rocker2:

xan
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:42 PM
The AO organisers have scheduled this match for the peak of the heat at 2.30pm (giving the men the cooler night session - Australian gallantry). Perhaps this time, if its baking hot, they'll actually use the air-conditioning they have installed. :(

Lachrymarum
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Since there is nobody I like still in the draw, I could care less who wins the AO.
However in regards to this match....I'm thinking that Serena will not allow Maria to defeat her 3 times in a row.
Serena in two sets.