PDA

View Full Version : Is Amelie the worst top 3 player of the last 10 years?

Jan 25th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Is Amelie the worst top 3 player of all time?!
I think we have had some pretty bad #4s...but is this the worst #3 of the last 10/20 years?
-No Singles Slams
-No Doubles Slams
-1 GS Final

skanky~skanketta
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:17 AM
normally i wouldn't even discuss this but at least amanda coetzer defeated top players in the slams.

Jan 25th, 2005, 04:18 AM
normally i wouldn't even discuss this but at least amanda coetzer defeated top players in the slams.

Well Amelie has defeated....
1.Capriati
2.Davenport (once)
in slams.

Danke Anke
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:19 AM
nah, tauziat reached number 3 and had a stank game

blumaroo
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Amelie triumphes over Myskina.

nah, tauziat reached number 3 and had a stank game

Tauziat reached # 3!!! *scared*

Amelie triumphes over Myskina.
Myskina= RG= you can lose 1st round in every slam after...and you are still a GRAND SLAM champion.

Andrew.
Well Amelie has defeated....
1.Capriati
2.Davenport (once)
in slams. Davenport was six years ago.

Capriati wasn't even top 4 at the time.

TennisTutor
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:23 AM
There is no doubt she played some of her worst tennis ever tonight.
For some reason she is intimidated by Serena. Not a very impressive match by either player

G1Player2
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:24 AM
For some reason she is intimidated by Serena. Not a very impressive match by either player
Not a very impressive match by Serena?! What match were you watching?

She played great...Much better than Maria did today...

fammmmedspin
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Is Amelie the worst top 3 player of all time?!
I think we have had some pretty bad #4s...but is this the worst #3 of the last 10/20 years?
-No Singles Slams
-No Doubles Slams
-1 GS Final
Amelie has been number 1 ! She is still number 2.

With the same record.

Her H2Hs look more like it but I think she is a unique number 1. Kim at least owned the YEC and had the tournaments (and owned amelie.

blumaroo
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:25 AM
A good tennis player is consistent. Myskina isn't. Mauresmo has ok h2h with other top 10 players. Myskina hasn't. Kim never won a slam either but she is better than both Amelie and Myskina. It's not always about the slams.

faboozadoo15
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:28 AM
worst ever #1.

thelittlestelf
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Accomplishment wise? Yes.

Talent wise and game wise? Definitely not.

Chunchun
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:30 AM
:tape:

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:31 AM

This type of statement takes away from both players. I don't care for Amelie, but intimidated by Serena she is not. And Serena didn't need to intimidate where she simply played her game. As it was, Amelie didn't seem to be quite fit or healthy.

JenFan75
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Maggie Maleeva never even went to a GS semifinal and only had one GS quarterfinal and she made it to #3.

spencercarlos
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Amelie has 1 Gs Final and some other GS semifinals, im sure a lot more than Myskina.
If i could rank them this would be my order.
Tauziat (never a real force at the slams, got hot only at Wim 98 nothing else)
Coetzer (never a real challenger to the top players Hingis, Davenport, Williamses. Profited a lot from Steffi`s 1997 Injury, beside that, she beat no one else ranked higher)
Myskina (profited from a lucky lucky and lucky Rg 2004 facing the last 3 players playing their worst tennis, probably ever. Still has a lot to prove)
Martinez (profited from a lucky lucky 2000 with so many great draws at important events, Aopen 2000, Roland Garros 2000, she only beat Hingis once as her best win that year. Pre 1995 years she was never really a force against Seles Arantxa and Steffi, no need to mention her lone victories against Seles (1) and Graf (1). Had losing records to Novotna and Sabatini as well) Very overrated ranked number 2.
Mauresmo (despite not winning a grand slam during this 10 year period as well as Coetzer, Tauziat and Martinez, Amelie at least has beaten the Williams sisters, Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin among others. Reached the final of 2003 masters beating the player of the year in the semis. Incredibly overrated ranked number one and with a lot to prove, i hope she can do it, because she can beat anybody with a better mental attitude)

Jan 25th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Maggie Maleeva never even went to a GS semifinal and only had one GS quarterfinal and she made it to #3.

bello
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Tauziat worse in top 3, Mauresmo worse ever no. 1, Martinez...grrr Sabatini shouldve got to no.2 not her!!!

Wojtek
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:06 AM
She played great...Much better than Maria did today...

:lol: :lol:

What match were you watching?

Lemonskin.
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:15 AM
For mental strength, yes.

But she's so damn talented.

Her brain keeps letting her down (and her body)

Conchi Party
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:58 AM
There is no doubt that Graf and Seles were all that, they were the best. I like Momo, and I do not think she is the worst top 3'er. That being said, I think spencercarlos is on crack, Conchita has made the GS finals on every surface except the US open. She won wimbledon by beating navratilova, and she has made the semis in all G Slams. She has up until recently, made it very deep into Grand Slams, and is still most definitely a doubles force as her Olympic Silver can attest to. Not only did she peak in the mid 1990s and win tons of tournaments,but she regained her form and had a brilliant 2000. Her longevity in the game, staying with the new girls, and the power hitters is a testament to her strong tennis game and talent. Sabatini, as much as I like her, did not have the stamina nor the dedication to stay in the game, nor did she really accomplish all that much compared to Conchi and Aranxta.

If you want to bring in facts go for it. I think Conchi's got everyone mentioned's number twice over!

Pamela Shriver
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Pfft. I got to number 3, and I was worse than everyone.

spencercarlos
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:45 AM
There is no doubt that Graf and Seles were all that, they were the best. I like Momo, and I do not think she is the worst top 3'er. That being said, I think spencercarlos is on crack, Conchita has made the GS finals on every surface except the US open. She won wimbledon by beating navratilova, and she has made the semis in all G Slams. She has up until recently, made it very deep into Grand Slams, and is still most definitely a doubles force as her Olympic Silver can attest to. Not only did she peak in the mid 1990s and win tons of tournaments,but she regained her form and had a brilliant 2000. Her longevity in the game, staying with the new girls, and the power hitters is a testament to her strong tennis game and talent. Sabatini, as much as I like her, did not have the stamina nor the dedication to stay in the game, nor did she really accomplish all that much compared to Conchi and Aranxta.

If you want to bring in facts go for it. I think Conchi's got everyone mentioned's number twice over!
:p Of course Conchi of pre 1995 ranks ahead of Mauresmo, but since the thread asked about the last 10 years :angel:.
In fact Conchita ranks behind Myskina on this list. I dunno what i was thinking when i wrote it, but definetly not ahead of Mauresmo. Mauresmo has beaten everybody out there, whereareas Conchita has never beaten any of the Williams sisters and almost sure she has never beaten Clijsters or Henin as well.
I never brought Arantxa to my statement, Arantxa acomplished 3 more slams than Sabatini, that`s enough said, but Conchita singles acomplishments are overshadowed by Gaby`s no matter what. Gaby had the stamina for 12 years, then she wanted no more. It`s not her fault that she acomplished more in 12 years than the acomplished by Conchita in almost 17 years on the womens circuit. (better head 2 heads vs the bests , better titles, more money etc ).
Anyway to make this clear this not includes 1994 Martinez the one who won Wimbledon. And yes i think she was overranked as number 3 in 2000 when she had like 4 players who kept beating her the whole year (the williams sisters, Mary Pierce and Monica Seles).

Nacho
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Bittercarlos always uses every fucking post to bash Conchita, so just ignore him. Looks like he can't live without underrating all her accomplishments.

Conchita did get to #3 after winning Berlin '00, so she didn't need a 'lucky' draw at the french to reach that spot :)

Nacho
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Pfft. I got to number 3, and I was worse than everyone.
lol pam, this thread is about the last 10 years, not 100 ;)

Alley
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:58 AM
It really shows you how pathetic women's tennis has gotten that a choker like Amelie could be ranked number 1. In comparison a player like Sabatini who achieved so much more never got higher than number 3.

TakeThat
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:37 AM
For some reason she couldn't push off her leg at all... Oh wait...

propi
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Martinez (profited from a lucky lucky 2000 with so many great draws at important events, Aopen 2000, Roland Garros 2000, she only beat Hingis once as her best win that year. Pre 1995 years she was never really a force against Seles Arantxa and Steffi, no need to mention her lone victories against Seles (1) and Graf (1). Had losing records to Novotna and Sabatini as well) Very overrated ranked number 2. :yawn::yawn::yawn:
you may have 2187168 lucky draws but yet you have to win, not all the players have done so:wavey:
Anyways her numbers speak loud by themselves so :cool:
And no; I don't think Amelie is the worst at all

Robbie.
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Coetzer (never a real challenger to the top players Hingis, Davenport, Williamses. Profited a lot from Steffi`s 1997 Injury, beside that, she beat no one else ranked higher)

She actually beat Novotna (world #2) twice in 1997 out of three matches, she also beat Hingis (one of only 5 players do so) on top of beating Graf 3 times. At one stage she has been a semifinalist at 3 of the last 6 GS and a quarterfinalist in another. That's better performances against top players and in majors than what Amelie's done in the past year and a bit and she has been #1 during that time.

Doraemon
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:57 AM
From today's match, I don't think Amelie will ever win a slam. She's too much of a headcase to have a reslistic shot at a GS title. She just proved it yet again today. And as time runs out, the pressure on her shoulders goes up and by the time she ends her career, she will have choked more than anyone else has ever at the GSs.

Bette_Midler
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Bittercarlos always uses every fucking post to bash Conchita, so just ignore him. Looks like he can't live without underrating all her accomplishments.

Conchita did get to #3 after winning Berlin '00, so she didn't need a 'lucky' draw at the french to reach that spot :)

I agree

:yawn::yawn::yawn: @ spencercarlos

Andy T
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Madamoiselle hideous skirts, pasty skin and cellulite-thighs Nathalie T gets my vote - the only reason she got so high was because she played a zillion tournaments. I agree with spencercarlos: Mauresmo has several big wins under her belt and is a consistent QF/SF finsiher in the slams.

hingis-seles
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Davenport was six years ago.

Capriati wasn't even top 4 at the time.
Capriati was #3 when she lost to Amelie at Wimbledon 2002. Lindsay was #1 when she lost to Amelie in 1999 in Melbourne; even if it was six years ago, she did beat a world number one at a Grand Slam.

Experimentee
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:42 PM
She is the worst #1 player. I'll have to look at the records of all the #3 players to give an answer on that one, but she seems down there with the worst of them. She is always choking and cant win important matches in Slams or when something important is on the line. She even had to rely on Sveta to win to give her the #1 spot bc she couldnt take it herself with a win :rolleyes:

jonny84
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I said this on another thread - leave Amelie alone - she has acheived great things - she helped to win the Fed Cup for France in 2003, has won numerous Tier I events, been to a grand slam final and topped the rankings.

Any player looking up to her would want that kind of career and I think it is shameful that people have to say this about her as she has acheived such great things.

MinnyGophers
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Amelie 's only main problems are INJURIES. There you got it. That's the big secret. Woooh.
If she wasn't injured at every freaking stupid slams every year, chances are she'd already won one.
Amelie defintely has the potential. Is she the worst top three player in matter of number of slams won? Probably. Is she the worst three player in matter of game and abilities? Heck no.

DEETHELICK
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Amelie has won a lot of big titles and her ability and consistency outside the Slams is amazing. Amelie really does seem to get struck down by injury often though.

May she win Wimbledon :)