PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else sensing that Maria is..

SerialKiller#69
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:14 AM
not really liked by tennis fans.

The AO crowd barely reacted to her court interview.:shrug:

TakeThat
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:17 AM

Yes. That's why the crowds have been screaming "Maria, Maria" out there. Because they can't stand her. :rolleyes:

gossipcom
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:19 AM
I can assure you she definitely wasn't a fav with fans with her first few rounds :)

When she was playing her 3R match (I think - Friday night) someone said shutup when she was screeching. The Chair Umpire warned the crowd not to talk during points, etc and then someone else screamed out (paraphrasing here) "Does that apply to the player?"

Definitely got an amusing reaction from the crowd :)

In terms of popularity in the women's draw that is left it would be:

1. Molik
2. Davenport
3. S. Williams
4. Mauresmo
5. Sharapova (though she could be at no 4)
5. Schynder
6. Dechy

Nope. It's only washed-up over rated Russian tennis players and their fans who hate Maria :).

jdog3008
That explains why Maria doesn't have any endorsements :rolleyes:

Julia1968
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:20 AM

That's an interesting comment, considering that Maria's image is consistently splattered all over ESPN, SI and used to promote women's tennis.

The only so-called tennis fans who do not like her are primarily the Royal Court, who hate anything not Williams. Especially when one of the sis' loses.

bmxbandit
I can assure you she definitely wasn't a fav with fans with her few rounds :)

When she was playing her 3R match (I think - Friday night) someone said shutup when she was screeching. The Chair Umpire warned the crowd not to talk during points, etc and then someone else screamed out (paraphrasing here) "Does that apply to the player?"

OMG I wish I could have heard that. HAHA

mishar
A lot of great players have been unpopular when young. Martina Nav, Graf, Seles, Venus and Serena

gossipcom
It was a classic - and surprisingly enough Maria didn't screech for the rest of the match *g*

The crowd also booed her when she got her match point in the Lindsay Lee-Waters match - because the umpire had overruled a call to bring it up - so the crowd booed it because as the replays should the ball was actually out and ended up turning the match to Maria.

ETA: She might be popular but from the first 4 rounds I saw her play in, she definitely didn't have the crowd going her way in all of them.

thelittlestelf
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Maria is really popular, I think.

Natasc
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Yep...they do not like masha
In all her games they seem be cheering for the opponents
But that's AO guys, they are cheering for the "no-favorite" player...
is just you watch federer and Sharapova matchs for see this

Greenout
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:23 AM

I watched her matches so far except the first one, and
the crowd isn't into her. I guess because they've got Alicia
this year- she's not pulling in the FHM or MAXIM guys.

It's weird. I was shocked that someone even yelled "shut up"
to her in her match against Na Li.

Greenout
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:24 AM
A lot of great players have been unpopular when young. Martina Nav, Graf, Seles, Venus and Serena

True; but Maria's is the WTA sweetheart. Daniela get's alot
of support, Maria doesn't. Tati Golovin has gotten a bigger
crowd buzz than Maria this year. Weird.

fammmmedspin
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:25 AM
I can assure you she definitely wasn't a fav with fans with her first few rounds :)

1. Molik
2. Davenport
3. S. Williams
4. Mauresmo
5. Schynder
6. Dechy
I think from the applause and look of the crowd Patty would be a lot higher up that list. I don't hear any great love for Serena or Momo and they really react to anything classy Patty hits. As Eurosport keeps on saying they are a knowledgeable lot.

Junex
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:28 AM
I watched her matches so far except the first one, and
the crowd isn't into her. I guess because they've got Alicia
this year- she's not pulling in the FHM or MAXIM guys.

It's weird. I was shocked that someone even yelled "shut up"
to her in her match against Na Li.

You don't have to be shocked, that someone fan of na li, and i am sure it is also part of jie's contingent againts Dinara.

gossipcom
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:30 AM
I think from the applause and look of the crowd Patty would be a lot higher up that list. I don't hear any great love for Serena or Momo and they really react to anything classy Patty hits. As Eurosport keeps on saying they are a knowledgeable lot.Yeah it's hard to pick it - Serena does have a bloody fanbase going for her - Patty's got her fanatics that travel 2 hours to watch her play :)

There's no question about the top 2 though - Lindsay has always been a fav here in Australia since she came in 1992/93 - I think the fans want to see her win the doubles title - even the commentators on Fox Sports were talking about how she's never won it *g*

Odd
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:31 AM

Yeah, i sensed the same thing. She was tryng to get a few laughs from the crowd but got absolutely nothing. It was kinda awkward. Maybe The crowd were all on their own way out to escape the boredom of the next match :D

Jan 25th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Yeah, i sensed the same thing. She was tryng to get a few laughs from the crowd but got absolutely nothing. It was kinda awkward. Maybe The crowd were all on their own way out to escape the boredom of the next match :D
what did she say?

gossipcom
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Nah today was the 3rd time they haven't reacted to her speaking after her match :)

They asked her if she would be watching the next match and she said no that she would be going to get out of the heat and into the cool (rest her body) :)

Mrs. Peel
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:37 AM
You don't have to be shocked, that someone fan of na li, and i am sure it is also part of jie's contingent againts Dinara.
I read that someone at the match here on this board saw an Australian tell her to shut it :confused:

gossipcom
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Which match are you referring to? the Sharapova/Li match or something completely different?

I was at the Sharapova/Li match - someone shouted out "shut up" (I was sitting on the other side of RLA and could hear it, one of my friends was sitting a few rows below the guy who said it) :)

Then the other comment came from an area near the first "shut up" but wasn't the same guy. And yeah they were Aussies :)

SerialKiller#69
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:40 AM
:lol:

She does try to joke in her court interviews but in vain. It seems the crowd couldn't care less.

Greenout
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:41 AM
I think from the applause and look of the crowd Patty would be a lot higher up that list. I don't hear any great love for Serena or Momo and they really react to anything classy Patty hits. As Eurosport keeps on saying they are a knowledgeable lot.

Yes!

The crowd was giving the "ooohs" and "aaahhs" in Patty's
match against Elena. And she got a huge applause for taking
the second set. They really loved the cheeky drop shots.

gossipcom
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Ohh yeah one thing the crowd doesn't like is the amount of Russians that made it into the R16 - nothing against the fans of the Russians, but we were pretty much sick of seeing a Russian involved in every single match ;) So when they started losing it helped make it nicer to watch :)

Maria's the last Russian standing in the women's draw *g*

Martian Jeza
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:45 AM

If you are talkin' about Hantuchova, that's normal : Danka is a very smart girl and she has a lot of talent + she's a good looking girl.

richie boy
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:45 AM
After her matches against Lee-Waters and Kuznetsova she left the court to minimal polite applause.

The crowd does not dislike Maria but Aussie's are born with an instinctive bullshit detector and several aspects of her "act" do not impress them one little bit, as they would no doubt say she is just too far up herself ;)

gossipcom
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:50 AM
lol richie_boy a big WORD to that :)

martinafan
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:01 AM
After her matches against Lee-Waters and Kuznetsova she left the court to minimal polite applause.

The crowd does not dislike Maria but Aussie's are born with an instinctive bullshit detector and several aspects of her "act" do not impress them one little bit, as they would no doubt say she is just too far up herself ;)
I agree totally.

In all of her matches I've seen - the opponent has gotten a large round of applause as they walked off the court and Maria has just gotten quiet polite applause. And yeah - they hardly react to her interviews at all. We definitely do see straight through her "act"

volley1
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:02 AM

And the truth shall set them free. :tape:

Dan23
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:03 AM
The crowds have been supporting the underdogs against Maria but, like the good Aussie crowd that it is, at the end of the match they still show their appreciation for Maria's win :)

Prizeidiot
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:00 AM
what did she say?
Well.... at the end of the Kuznetsova match.... she was asked how she felt. She said something along the lines of "That was the toughest match of my life. I think I need a wheelchair!!!" No one in the crowd laughed. I think I heard someone coughing.

We always go for the underdog, and if they're putting up a challenge to a top player, they might as well be playing in frontt of their home crowd.

I also think maybe Aussies aren't such keen fans of the one dimensional baseline game. So Maria's hard, flat groundstrokes don't get as much applause as someone else mixing it up and using the net game more.

Rollo
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Rule #1 in women's tennis: they always love you on the way up.
Rule #2: Once you get to the top fans (as a rule) grow cold.
Rule #3: Once you get old, go down, or are "past it" you are loved again.

Sharapova is transitioning to #2. If she starts to dominate in any way she'll be firmly under #2.

Bitter Blue Bong
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:12 AM
That explains why Maria doesn't have any endorsements

That's an interesting comment, considering that Maria's image is consistently splattered all over ESPN, SI and used to promote women's tennis.

I think the original poster said "tennis fans." Her image is being used to promote tennis to casual/non-fans and the masses.

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:25 AM

The only so-called tennis fans who do not like her are primarily the Royal Court, who hate anything not Williams. Especially when one of the sis' loses.
That's a lie, but I'm not surprised because you always lie.

10nisfanofruz
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:33 AM
I felt that the Aussie doesn't like her or something!!!
When Maria said sth in the interview after beating Svetlana, the crowd just kept quiet :confused: Besides, yelling shut up to her is so mean :( I wonder what she feels about the Aussie.<AO might not be her fav tournament because of the reaction>

irinska
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:37 AM
In my opinion the tennis fans in Australia are the best. They know a lot about the game, and it's true Maria is not liked very much, she 's trying but the big money can't win you the love of the public you have to be a special player.

Iheartennis
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Maria has tons of fans but i think some people may be disgusted by the way the WTA is shoving her down peoples throats with advertisements. But its smart for them. with davenport and other players getting older and williams sisters not dominating at the moment they need someone to represent the company. and who better then the young gangly blondie with a GS title?

Dan23
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:46 AM
If fans dont appreciate the contest and Maria's effort today then theres something wrong with them. The fact Maria tries to be herself and have a sense of humour in her interviews obviously doesnt mean much...theyd rather hear the standard answers to each question??

..Aussie's are born with an instinctive bullshit detector.....well used when reading English press about the Pommy cricket team :tape: :p

russophile
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Do you think she won any of her compatriots over by being chosen as the poster child for the Russian Olympic Committee?

Martian KC
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Well.... at the end of the Kuznetsova match.... she was asked how she felt. She said something along the lines of "That was the toughest match of my life. I think I need a wheelchair!!!" No one in the crowd laughed. I think I heard someone coughing.

:haha:

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:00 PM
:haha:

apoet29
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Maria strikes me as being a geniune person. I don't see her as putting on an act at all. I think that so many people hate the hype that surrounds her (which she has completely lived up to) that anything she does comes across as being completely fake.

I think it is interesting that Aussie crowds seem indifferent to her since the commentators on ESPN have said repeatedly that her matches are always sold out. If the crowd dislikes her, why bother to watch her play?

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Maria strikes me as being a geniune person. I don't see her as putting on an act at all. I think that so many people hate the hype that surrounds her (which she has completely lived up to) that anything she does comes across as being completely fake.

I think it is interesting that Aussie crowds seem indifferent to her since the commentators on ESPN have said repeatedly that her matches are always sold out. If the crowd dislikes her, why bother to watch her play?
To see her get beat. :p

Maria Croft
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:05 PM

couldn't agree more !!

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Madison Avenue seems to like Maria.
She's signed several multi-million dollar deals in the last few months.

The other Russian players get along fine with Maria. Her dad, that's a different story.

Jaime Bahena
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:20 PM

Tennis fans hate winners. Thank goodness Masha came along as the new winner. Tennis fans can now stop hating the sistahs, and hate on this new kid on the block.

jj74
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:24 PM

Good point, and how to forget miss Martina Hingis, amazing player but arrogant as hell

pigam
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Is this true?
I havn't seen any of her matches @ the AO.
Kinda strange, but yeah...

Martian KC
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:34 PM

Besides Navratilova, these players were unpopular because they were dominating at an early age. Maria on the other hand, has not even reached number one and she seems really unpopular already.

**Jelica**
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:26 PM
I think there is always someone who tennis fans generally don't like too much. I'm not sayin' this is right or wrong, but usually there is a reason why ppl feels this way. I have to say, Maria is not my favorite player, but I don't hate her or anything.

tennislover
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I don't know........
surely she is a really astonishing girl: she has the most beatiful body&face in the Wta tour and she is a very strong player....she is still very elegant (Italian judge here......) , she seems to be smart as well (she is still very very very young)......

What else do you want??????????

vertigo
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:02 PM
I don't know........
surely she is a really astonishing girl: she has the most beatiful body&face in the Wta tour and she is a very strong player....she is still very elegant (Italian judge here......) , she seems to be smart as well (she is still very very very young)......

Some class would be a good start.

G1Player2
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:16 PM

You must be delusional to think that ONLY Williams fan dislike Maria Sharapova...

Even her own countrywoman Kuznetsova has bad things to say about her...Did you even see her walk off from the handshake in their match yesterday? She didn't even wait by the net like most opponents do! She simply walked off and gave a hesitant handshake...

Then on ESPN she clowned Sharapova by saying she should save her fashion for outside the tennis courts and then said she is sick of hearing the hype about her...

Don't try to make it seem like it is just Williams fans who dislike Maria because as we can see it simply isn't true...

timray
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:21 PM

Maybe her diehart fans are not really tennis fans, maybe they are just tv tennis fans.

Julia1968
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:27 PM
That's a lie, but I'm not surprised because you always lie.

Now you are beginning to sound a lot like the Monosyllabic "Pure Racket".

Listen, filth mouth (read some of its past posted articles), the attacks on Maria have most generally originated from the Royal Court. The desperation from fans of Venus and Serena is palpable.

My best advice for you would be to sit back, watch a developing rivalry between the aging Serena Williams (middle aged in tennis years) and the new, young higher-ranked Maria Sharapova.

henmanhill
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:31 PM
How unusual. Another "Everyone hates Sharapova" thread. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:33 PM

Listen, filth mouth (read some of its past posted articles), the attacks on Maria have most generally originated from the Royal Court. The desperation from fans of Venus and Serena is palpable.

My best advice for you would be to sit back, watch a developing rivalry between the aging Serena Williams (middle aged in tennis years) and the new, young higher-ranked Maria Sharapova.
We are still considering your application to join the Royal Court Julia...just be patient, okay. :lol:

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:33 PM

G1Player2
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:41 PM

Don't try to use the "Aging" Serena critique to get your point across...LOL
Will have to wait and see if Maria ever accomplishes what Serena has...Remember, Maria isn't invincible...She has been pushed in almost all of her matches and lossed 3rd round at the USOpen and eben had losses to players like Mashona Washington...Please...The "aging" excuse is so tired and I know EXACTLY what you are trying to do...LOL...Remember Martina Navratilova did not start dominating until about age 26...In fact she won 75% of her slams and titles AFTER this age...

You ARE from the AOL messageboards and you, Kauffie, Oe1968, post the same garbage...You are a BIG Serena hater who tries to appear objective but I know the truth...

Mrs. Peel
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:43 PM
You must be delusional to think that ONLY Williams fan dislike Maria Sharapova...

Even her own countrywoman Kuznetsova has bad things to say about her...Did you even see her walk off from the handshake in their match yesterday? She didn't even wait by the net like most opponents do! She simply walked off and gave a hesitant handshake...

Then on ESPN she clowned Sharapova by saying she should save her fashion for outside the tennis courts and then said she is sick of hearing the hype about her...

Don't try to make it seem like it is just Williams fans who dislike Maria because as we can see it simply isn't true...
Julia IS delusional....most people here know that except her!

It is clear that there are numerous fan bases out there that can't stand Maria and many of them are as ANTI WILLIAMS as they come! :lol:

Denise4925
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Don't try to use the "Aging" Serena critique to get your point across...LOL
Will have to wait and see if Maria ever accomplishes what Serena has...Remember, Maria isn't invincible...She has been pushed in almost all of her matches and lossed 3rd round at the USOpen and eben had losses to players like Mashona Washington...Please...The "aging" excuse is so tired and I know EXACTLY what you are trying to do...LOL...Remember Martina Navratilova did not start dominating until about age 26...In fact she won 75% of her slams and titles AFTER this age...

You ARE from the AOL messageboards and you, Kauffie, Oe1968, post the same garbage...You are a BIG Serena hater who tries to appear objective but I know the truth...
Actually she's a secret fan of Serena's because she knows all there is to know about her. She even knows the color of her panties and when she's on her period. She's been trying desperately to get into our fan club, but it's a very exclusive club and since she's been denied so far, she's been a little angry with us. ;) You know how it is.

Knizzle
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:45 PM

It was that way at the YEC too I believe. Seemed like they weren't feeling her. Sad cause she's a great player.

Mrs. Peel
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Actually she's a secret fan of Serena's because she knows all there is to know about her. She even knows the color of her panties and when she's on her period. She's been trying desperately to get into our fan club, but it's a very exclusive club and since she's been denied so far, she's been a little angry with us. ;) You know how it is.
I'm sure when/if Serena farts ole Julia will be there to tell us about it!

Odd
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:07 AM

Actually, technically it's only tennis fans who hate her in this one.

I don't know........

Someone who isn't as boring as batshit.

Her aggressive responses in her press conference and her 1d game, the way she isolates herself from the rest of the women (doesnt play doubles, has her own training partner, doesnt publicly have any friends on the wta as far as me, the average tennis follower would know), as well as the sight of her father looking like a twat courtside is hardly a crowdpleaser.

However she is 17. I would put a lot of money on the fact that as she grows older, she'll open up a lot more, be less aggressive when addressing the media, and people will get to know the nice and warm person she probably is.

As someone else said, a lot of the other most loved tennis players weren't loved when they were young. Give her time, and in a few years she'll be liked.

G_Slammed
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Is it really weird? Look at T. Golovin. She's like the closet thing out there to Kournikova. Even sounds like her when grunting. The fans want Anna back. They miss seeing Kournikova from tournament to tournament.

Pureracket
Jan 26th, 2005, 01:33 PM

My best advice for you would be to sit back, watch a developing rivalry between the aging Serena Williams (middle aged in tennis years) and the new, young higher-ranked Maria Sharapova.SWOOP!!!!!

Experimentee
Jan 26th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Nah, having been live to several of her matches last week I can say she seems really popular. Everyone talks about going to see her, and in the matches she gets bigger cheers than her opponents, although that may be because the opponents are not known to the public.

Greenout
Jan 26th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Is this true?
I havn't seen any of her matches @ the AO.
Kinda strange, but yeah...

I've seen her matches this week...
Na Li, Sveta, Lee- Waters, and some of the Farina match
and the crowd reactions is baffling to say the least.

It wasn't the reaction she was getting back in Thailand
and Hong Kong during New Year's that is For Sure!!!! :shrug:

** What's the big deal about the interviews anyway? I
haven't seen or heard anything to piss me off. Weird.
She just talks in a sing-song voice. It's actually
boring IMHO. I haven't heard much
bullshit nor ego stroke nor thrash talking from her or even
bitching either. Are we seeing and reading the same interviews?
Strange...really strange.. reactions from everyone.

*kaz*
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Maybe it's because Aussie's aren't blind. The Americans and the British are just looking for the next Kournikova. Maria is very pretty, but she isn't hot like Anna was.

Also her game isn't really that interesting to watch. The squeeling also really gets on my nerves.

Not that I hate her though, if she wins the title then it's well deserved.

She gets too much hype. The top 5 is seriously lacking interesting players.

bis2806
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:23 PM

that's what i'm talking about.... Maria was laughing, sighing and talking - all at the same time. And that was just weird...

hablo
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:30 PM

1. Molik
2. Davenport
3. S. Williams
4. Mauresmo
5. Schynder
6. Dechy

:lol: :lol: :haha: :haha:

hablo
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Well.... at the end of the Kuznetsova match.... she was asked how she felt. She said something along the lines of "That was the toughest match of my life. I think I need a wheelchair!!!" No one in the crowd laughed. I think I heard someone coughing.We always go for the underdog, and if they're putting up a challenge to a top player, they might as well be playing in frontt of their home crowd.

I also think maybe Aussies aren't such keen fans of the one dimensional baseline game. So Maria's hard, flat groundstrokes don't get as much applause as someone else mixing it up and using the net game more.

:lol: :haha:

She must be doing something on the court to be winning matches but I just don't like her personality. to me she's phony. And I don't care if anybody points out that she's just 17. She's turning 18 April, anyway ;)

Melly Flew Us
Jan 27th, 2005, 12:36 AM
:lol: :haha: .... And I don't care if anybody points out that she's just 17. She's turning 18 April, anyway ;)
well i was gonna say that she is just 17.
but i'd also like to add that after the sveta match she had no jokes, she gave the crowd their cue by laughing before every sentence, but it was a dry heat and so was she.

DevilishAttitude
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:05 PM
The Australian crowd don't like her and you can tell after the 'SHUT UP' cry someone said :lol: :haha: :tape:

The Wimbledon and US will like her

The French will probably loathe her :tape: :o

Yaanei
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I agree, she does not seem to be too popular with the fans. Endorsements are all together another deal. Some of the most outrageous athletes get "great" endorsements!

Maria is a great player, I do wish she would stop the on court antics and constant grunting.

SerialKiller#69
Jan 28th, 2005, 04:46 PM
It was that way at the YEC too I believe. Seemed like they weren't feeling her. Sad cause she's a great player.
Aside from the YEC, there was also that tournament where Molik beat her. I can't remember the tournament and the player she beat in the SF but after that win, she was interviewed. Painfully, I had to endure the embarassing reaction of the crowd to her joke. The crowd couldn't get any colder.

I know that the tennis crowd can be indifferent towards a lot of players. But this girl is supposed to be media's darling. The new Anna Kournikova who can actually win. The girl that is sought after by companies for endorsements. At 17, tennis fans are not feeling her. Weird.

Pureracket
Jan 28th, 2005, 04:50 PM

The only so-called tennis fans who do not like her are primarily the Royal Court, who hate anything not Williams. Especially when one of the sis' loses.SWOOP!!!!!

SJW
Jan 28th, 2005, 04:56 PM
The Chair Umpire warned the crowd not to talk during points, etc and then someone else screamed out (paraphrasing here) "Does that apply to the player?"

Kelly
Jan 28th, 2005, 05:00 PM
i just cant stand the screaming....if i'd have been there i'd have told her to shut up. yet in the 3rd set she played some good rallys without makinga single sound...so it proves it has nothing to do with her game. it wont be long till players complain like they did with monica at wimby a few years ago which i think cost her the wimby title as she was too busy concentrating on keeping the grunts down.

maria has talent...no question...she also has the dickhead dad,the annoying grunt, and personality of peanut,not much respect for her opponants

SJW
Jan 28th, 2005, 05:02 PM
You must be delusional
the only other thing Julia1968 could be is stupid :)

Volcana
Jan 28th, 2005, 05:09 PM

The AO crowd barely reacted to her court interview.:shrug:She didn't seem to particualry endear herself to the fans seeing the matches in person. The that's not even one tenth of one percent of tennis fans.

No surprise the Aussie crowd was so positive toward Stosur and Molik. And the Chinese sure turned out for Shaui Peng. Aside from that, it's always been my impression the Australian Open holds it's former champs in great affection.

So Molik, Stosur, Davenport, S. Williams

Pierce's OZ title was ten years ago. I don't know how far back their memories go.

Molik's real easy on the eyes though, and friendly. Simply not seeming quite so open might have hurt appreciation of Sharapova for some people. I think in the Williams-Sharapova match a lot of the crowd got behind Serena because she got blown away in the first set. Just an impression though. It was a good crowd. Enthusiastic, engaged, appreciative but respectful. No cheering double faults.