PDA

View Full Version : Oops! She did it again! (4) Maria Sharapova def. (5) Svetlana Kuznetsova 4-6 6-2 6-2

tennisIlove09
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:34 AM
third match in Australia she dropped the first at 4, and then rebounded to win easily.

Go Maria! :woohoo:

RenaSlam.
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Looks like Sveta got "Williams Error Fever"...over 50 UE :tape: ...Congrats to Maria for coming back.

mboyle
And the beauty from Bolliterri moves on to her second slam semi!:D :D :D

thelittlestelf
Wow! Two for two, I called it!

Justin
Deja vu?

Oneofakind0490
Good win for Maria. Sevetlana and Maria both playe dreally bad. 53 errors Sveta and 37 for Maria.

Andrew.
Third set was closer than the score indicates.

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Very disappointing Svetlana :(

LindsayRocks89
congrats Maria :kiss:

mboyle
If there ever were questions about which was better, now we know for sure:D :woohoo: :worship: :worship: . Even with the drugs, the UBN couldn't beat Sharpie. I am soooo proud of her.

SpikeyAidanm
Sveta led 6-4, *1-0 ala Farina Elia in 4r.

LeRoy.
:woohoo: Great last point by Maria.

She was down a break in the second set and yet she won :worship:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Sorry, but Kuznetsova that was absolutely pathetic!!! You couldn't even hold your serve :( This was a great opportunity for but you threw away the match (WHERE THE HELL DID YOUR SERVE GO????)

Anyways congrats Maria hope you lose next round to either Serena or Mauresmo.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Looks like Sveta got "Williams Error Fever"...over 50 UE :tape: ...Congrats to Maria for coming back.
:haha:

Anna F'd Enrique
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:37 AM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

nobody i want to win wins......ay aya ayayay

Couver
Congrats to Maria, but the stats from this match :scared:

Hopefully this will make people open their eyes. Maria is a very talented player and I think a lot of people write her off very easily. Yet here she is in the semis and poised to become the most dominant of the Russians

gvhvhg
....she didnt win easily....both the second and third sets were much closer than the score says...and ud kno that from the length....kuz made too many errors....maria was lucky....but ill take it :D

god her grunting turns me on

SM
sveta :(

but kudos to maria shes been doing great in her l;ast few tournaments really proving wimbeldon was not a flash in the pan

BK4ever
Sveta :sad: she lost this match in the second game of the 2nd set, just terrible after that and could never get her first serve going.

she was also terrible on the big points...

the score was 6-2 but that last set last 56mins

UDiTY
:rolleyes:

Horrible match from both players. I dunno what it is, but Maria's opponents seem afraid to beat her lately.

The last two sets from Svetty were barely top 20 material.

LeRoy.
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Sveta didn't hold serve in the second or third set :eek:

TakeThat
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:38 AM
SVETLANA! :sad: :sad: :sad:

Major props to Sharapova. What a fighter!

anabel
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Maria :D :D

lucashg
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Congratulations for Maria, though she really should thank Kuznetsova for playing so bad, not that she was good, but at least commited less errors. Both seemed VERY exhausted and bothered by the heat.

So if Sharapova faces Serena or Mauresmo under that kind of heat, I believe she stands no chance. But she is one we can never count out, so we'll see.

Vut
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:41 AM
:hearts: Maria

UDiTY
I really don't need to see this match on ESPN...hopefully Serena/Amelie will be more dramatic and entertaining.

ohh and :lol: at the thread title....how nerdy

Atrixo
Maybe Maria's opponents should actually try losing the first set. It sure hasn't done them any good by winning it --- ala Lee-Walters, Farina-Elia, and now, Kuznetsova. ;)

gvhvhg
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:42 AM
if someone was watching tennis again for the first time in 10 yrs or so and they were told that this was the reigning USO champion and the reigning Wimbledon champion....and they saw that match...they would think that womens tennis has hit an all time low....horrible match

lets go maria tho!!!

TakeThat
So if Sharapova faces Serena or Mauresmo under that kind of heat, I believe she stands no chance. But she is one we can never count out, so we'll see.
ITA. The Russians seems to be REALLY bothered by the heat. Maria may have a chance against Momo, but Serena should have no problems with her. Uhhh, those cold-blooded Russkies. :lol:

LeRoy.
Maria is now the highest ranked Russian at # 3 in the WTA ranking :worship:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Wow! Well done, Masha!

gossipcom
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Big question is will Kuznetsova be backing up for her doubles match today? Or give Alicia the day off *g*

ekaterina
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Great job Maria :D :eek:
Sveta :sad: :hug: Win the doubles :clap2: ;)

Dan23
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:44 AM
Third set was closer than the score indicates.
It was...very nerve racking final set.
Maria was tired but kept on going and produced an amazing shot on match point :D
Great effort Maria, good luck in the SF :yeah:

LeRoy.
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:45 AM
I hope she plays Serena because she loses to Amelie tamely :(

Natasc
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Damn
Kuzna was simply SUCKS :o
The truth is that the both are playing badly
But as i said before...the match wa decided by UE's, who could made feel, could also win the match

T-T
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:50 AM
if someone was watching tennis again for the first time in 10 yrs or so and they were told that this was the reigning USO champion and the reigning Wimbledon champion....and they saw that match...they would think that womens tennis has hit an all time low....horrible match

lets go maria tho!!!
True. Justine...Justine where are you? Justine... ...

fammmmedspin
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:52 AM
An interesting question is what Maria did again, A lot of players can dominate her for one set but she still wins. Does she play better in all those second sets or just keep on going while her opponents fall off? If they fall off is that what allows her to play better too? Sveta went off there as soon as she thought about winning at a set and a break - caught Nastya's forehand disease and forgot how many aces she was serving this tournament. Same pattern for Maria at Wimbledon SF? YEC v Myskina? YEC v Serena? Both her previous 3 set matches at AO 05? Can't see how its Maria causing the breakdown losing the first sets and she is hardly going to wear down her opponents like Conchita or Patty. Is it just because Maria can sustain her level longer or is she benefitting from a top ten who can't?

Any players out there who can play two good sets in a row or 2 good sets with just a normal brief break? Lindsay, Serena all play problem sets regularly. Momo?

Alicia seems to be consistent for 2 this year? Patty can come back in 3? Otherwise you can see Maria winning it.

Maria Croft
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:52 AM
yes the match was messy !! But she pulled through again !! amazing how she does that when she's not playing at her best !!

Doc
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Another amazing win for Maria!

I'd virtually given up on the match when she went down a set and a break. Even Nick Bollittieri had said if Maria didn't take the first set, she'd have no chance.

But Maria is such a fighter. Coming back like that in 90 degree heat is a great achievement.

Doc
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:59 AM
An interesting question is what Maria did again, A lot of players can dominate her for one set but she still wins. Does she play better in all those second sets or just keep on going while her opponents fall off? If they fall off is that what allows her to play better too? Sveta went off there as soon as she thought about winning at a set and a break - caught Nastya's forehand disease and forgot how many aces she was serving this tournament. Same pattern for Maria at Wimbledon SF? YEC v Myskina? YEC v Serena? Both her previous 3 set matches at AO 05? Can't see how its Maria causing the breakdown losing the first sets and she is hardly going to wear down her opponents like Conchita or Patty. Is it just because Maria can sustain her level longer or is she benefitting from a top ten who can't?

Maria is normally a slow starter, that's the answer.

She often needs a set to get up to speed and to work out what to do against a particular opponent. Once she's up at speed, and playing her best, she is very hard to beat. Sometimes (Wimbledon Final) she comes out guns blazing from the start. And there are a few bad times when she doesn't get up to speed at all (Mashona).

Julia1968
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:14 AM
Anyways congrats Maria hope you lose next round to either Serena or Mauresmo.

Typical Royal Court Williams Fan Hatred. It knows no boundries.

starr
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:19 AM
:bigclap: Maria

fammmmedspin
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:20 AM

She often needs a set to get up to speed and to work out what to do against a particular opponent. Once she's up at speed, and playing her best, she is very hard to beat. Sometimes (Wimbledon Final) she comes out guns blazing from the start. And there are a few bad times when she doesn't get up to speed at all (Mashona).
I can see that and perhaps she came out firing more as the match went on but Sveta dominated her till Sveta went off just like Myskina did at the YEC by making her play Myskina tennis. Its more noticeable that their game changes than hers improves? Venus and Serena used to have similar matches - sometimes because they are patchy but also sometimes because people who are beating them go off badly too. Maria obviously plays like Venus - is it an intensity thing ? I thought it might be the psychology of playing someone who doesn't admit defeat but Maria's body language was telling Sveta she had won just before Sveta went off. Are they just unable to cope with play after they think of winning and she comes back at them or is she just lucky so far in playing her key matches against people who fade away?

Becool
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:26 AM
I just loved the match point, and Maria's scream lol

But the match was overall bad :o

Natasc
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:00 AM
shit..this weather is killing all them
Momo is playing shit, dont even Serena is well in that weather
Masha was feeling terrible too...why the fuck they do not close this roof?!

flyingmachine
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Sveta :sad: she lost this match in the second game of the 2nd set, just terrible after that and could never get her first serve going.

she was also terrible on the big points...

the score was 6-2 but that last set last 56mins
I know :sad: but you have to give credit to Maria who fright back at the 2nd set and despite she was struggling with the heat towords the end of the 3rd set. It reminded me of Justine at US Open 2003. :sad: And I miss Justine very badly. :bigcry:

flyingmachine
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:38 AM
shit..this weather is killing all them
Momo is playing shit, dont even Serena is well in that weather
Masha was feeling terrible too...why the fuck they do not close this roof?!
They havn't close the roof till the men's game. :mad: Typical.

flyingmachine
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:42 AM

Oh yeah this reminded me the matches against Ai and Lindsay at Wimbledon.

Sharapower
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:27 AM
I don't think Maria is a slow starter, it's rather the opponents who tend to overplay when they have Masha at the other side of the net. They try to go for big winner shots at each point and that may work for a set but then they're burned physically and mentally. So maria often cruises the two last sets.

But if they don't do this then they likely lose in straight sets...

Anyway Sveta clearly sucked. Maria was litterally roasted on the court and all that the opponent had to do was to get the ball back in the court but Sveta didn't manage it. The hungriest (Masha) won. She's tough mentally. In the end of the match she barely could stand on her feet.

I'm afraid her chances are few for the semi against Serena who had barely one hour of match against Amelie. But we never know with Masha. She shows every day that she has resources in mind and heart. And Serena might have some psycholigical issues about playing Masha. But honestly, and unfortunately Masha's chances for a final are very slim.

10nisfanofruz
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:16 AM
Lucky Maria!!! I thought that Svetlana was going to win. However, Maria was tough and such a fighter<esp. the last point> ;) I am happy for her. Congrat! for the No.1russian :lol:
I hope that she will beat Serena and win the title :bounce:
RUSSIAN SLAMS PLEASE! :worship:

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:27 AM
:bounce: Udachi Masha :kiss: :hearts: :drool: :worship:

Sveta:sad: :fiery:

gary
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:29 AM
congrats Masha :woohoo: :kiss:
good luck in SF :yeah: :D

faboozadoo15
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:33 AM
what i really liked about this match is that neither of these girls care for the other but they both are at times applauding their opponent's shot.

pretty entertaining stuff. lots of rallies. if only it had been cleaner.

TartarVicario
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Lana couldn't hold serve in the last two sets.I still wonder why Lana use her second serve as the first serve.It's not effective.

Andy.
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Well Done Maria im soo happy. What a match some awesome rallies and driving winners. Maria really has the will of a Champ well done Girl. Good luck in the next round.

Lemonskin.
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:31 AM
:d

cheo23
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:59 PM
LOL@LIZCHRIS
that Person said SVETLANA WAS GOIN TO WIN!
U're 0-2 SO FAR!
CONGRATULATIONS MARIA!
& people still say U're OVER-RATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
& a ONe HiT WOnDER!
LOL@THE HATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raquel
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Sveta :sad: :sad: Her forehand was just awful at times. She was the same in the Diaz Oliva match but today was even worse :sad: Good luck in the doubles Sveta.

Teemu
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Great win Maria! Though the quality of the match wasn't that high, probably due to the hot weather and ofcourse excitement. Maria seemed quite exhausted out there and I'm still amazed how she could do it, once again. I'm really looking forward to the match against Serena. Serena has been the most impressive in her matches I think, but there's no doubt Maria will give it all she's got. Still keeping my hopes up for that Masha vs. Lindsay final for sure. Go Masha!

Kart
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Well I'm not thrilled by the result but credit where it's due.

Maria is once again proving she's totally deserving of all the attention she gets.

Congrats.

Jaime Bahena
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I'd virtually given up on the match when she went down a set and a break. Even Nick Bollittieri had said if Maria didn't take the first set, she'd have no chance.

Nick went against his girl Masha? That Punk*ss. Who does he think he is, a tennis expert/aficionado?

jenny161185
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:21 PM
well done to her - anyone deserves props for winning in that heat!!!