PDA

View Full Version : Just found a possible weakness of the Russians...

FLL
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:01 AM
The HEAT!!!

Lena D, Nastya and now Sveta are struggling in the heat! Lena even had to retire. Nastya looked dead yesterday and now Sveta has started to play like shit after the first set...

They all train in Europe so the big Australian weather is maybe too much for them :confused:

Scotso
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:03 AM
I think it's more their heads than the weather.

anthonyqld
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:06 AM
You only just noticed that? The Russians apart from the Floridorian Russian, all struggle in the heat. They always have. That's why I made big money tipping the 2 Russian yesterday to lose.

Orion
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:06 AM
That actually explains why Kuznetsova and Sharapova do well: they train in warm weather.

TakeThat
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:25 AM
I think it's more their heads than the weather.
Nope. Myskina and Dementieva aren't used to playing under scorching sun. They are just not conditioned to deal with the heat. Myskina looked half-dead yesterday. Just look at that girl's pale skin, and tell me she loves the sun. ;)

peanuts
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:36 AM
yeah they're not obviously having the time of their lives playing under the scorching heat.
elena look soo tired in her match against daniela. at some points i thought she was going to collapse. myskina plays well on indoors.

Prizeidiot
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Actually.... at the end of her match, Maria looked absolutely spent. She was breathing really really hard, and in her interview with J.A, she could barely get a word out.

But you can't blame them too much for not dealing with the heat well. They came from Russia, where it was in the negatives, to Australia, in the 40's.

bello
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:54 AM
another weakness of the russians is that as soon as both williams and both belgians and amelie and lindsay are all healthy and playing at the same time, there wont be as much room for them in the top 6...!!!! it will be very interesting, i reckon Myskina and Sharapova will be the only stayers amongst top 6-7.

10nisfanofruz
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:10 AM
The HEAT!!!

That explains why there were no russian girls winning AO yet!!!
;)

Almalyk
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:47 AM
So true

itzhak
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:13 AM
1. I don't see Cijsters coming back to her position before the injury. her physical problem seems crucial. after she came back in hasslet and got this injury again, it will take a very long time until she will be 100 % ready.

2. the russian will stay at the top this year. they never had success in the AO, especially because the heat. the season is long- who thougt in this time last year, that by the end of the year Davenport will be no. 1, sharapova will be top 3 (after the AO this year), and that the belgian will be irrelevant (remember that last year the final was Kim vs. Justine). therefore, the AO is no indication for nothing in the future.

3. neverthelss, it will be very suprising if S. Williams would be at the top of the ranking this year. but, who knows?

DEETHELICK
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I agree. Elena has always openly admitted year after year she doesn't do well in the heat. Yes, she's a professional, blah blah, but if your body cannot take it then I'd rather Elena flames out and manages her health. Australia is only a small portion of the tennis season.

Jamesss
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:25 AM
It has been HOT but they'd surely have played/trained in hotter conditions.

In Sydney I told Nadia that I hope she'd handle the heat okay, replying with "No the heat's not a problem."

Their weaknesses can't really be encompassed by them being Russians, they each have their own different but fatal flaws. For some it's physical stamina, others mental stamina and for others still; they simply can't play.

_LuCaS_
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Hot indeed. Could be an explanation. Waiting for the indoors. Go Nastya :)

tennislover
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:48 AM
lack of class and pure talent......

volta
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:14 AM
they all have problems when balls come to their feet and with balls that donīt bounce all that. Myskina is the more completed of them all

hilde26
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:33 AM
In Sydney I told Nadia that I hope she'd handle the heat okay, replying with "No the heat's not a problem." I read that Nadia Petrova grew up at Egypt where her father had a job as athletics coach.

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I read that Nadia Petrova grew up at Egypt where her father had a job as athletics coach.
That's true but she retired during her Quarterfinal match against Shaui Peng at Sydney for heat illness?