PDA

View Full Version : Safin: Sharapova is American.

Andrew.
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:13 PM
"Myskina, Dementieva, they spend much more time there, so the people get to know them so at least they can give an opinion about them," Safin said last week. "But about Sharapova, nobody sees. She lives in the States, as (far as) I'm concerned."

Maria Croft
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:14 PM
your point ??

Jan 24th, 2005, 10:15 PM
and Safin has spent more time in Spain than in Russia...doesn't he live in Monte Carlo?

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I like Safin, he's a loose cannon and isn't afraid to speak his mind. And he's right about Sharapova, only thing Russian about her is her name. I just don't understand why she has that accent after living in the states since she was 7. I have a friend who was born in Russia, moved to the states when he was 8 and speaks PERFECT English. No accent at all. Maybe she's just a dumb blonde :eek:

ZAK
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Petrova doesn't live in Russia, Sveta doesn't live in Russia, no one on the tennis your spends much time anywhere anyway.

Elldee
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Also, she shouts 'come on!!' during her matches in English... so.

I don't actually think Safin is saying Sharapova's american, he says she spends all her time there and lives there so the people don't see her because she's not there... that's not necessarily the same thing.

Maria Croft
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:19 PM
they just want her to be american so she doesn't stand out as much as a russian player !! very sad !!!!

Venus+Serena#1fan
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:20 PM
she's been saying "VAMOS" in her matches latley, which is in spanish....strange...

Maria Croft
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:21 PM
maybe she things it's russian haha, the other russian girls told her to say that lol

switz
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:22 PM
"she lives in the United States" = Sharapova is American?

i don't remember sharapova ever saying she lives in Russia.

i lived in England for a year but i'm not British.

apoet29
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Funny, he never made those statements about Kournikova nor did he point out that he, himself, hasn't lived in Russia since his own childhood.

I like Marat, but sometimes he doesn't think before he talks.

Kart
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:24 PM
i lived in England for a year but i'm not British.
Have you cleared that with Safin ?

Marat :yawn:.

Spunky83
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:26 PM
I like Safin, he's a loose cannon and isn't afraid to speak his mind. And he's right about Sharapova, only thing Russian about her is her name. I just don't understand why she has that accent after living in the states since she was 7. I have a friend who was born in Russia, moved to the states when he was 8 and speaks PERFECT English. No accent at all. Maybe she's just a dumb blonde :eek:

Well, isnīt that mysterious? :lol:

Ahhh...people, stop it, we all know that evil Yuri dragged his little daughter to the US, I donīt think she was asked...and besides this is really getting tired and stupid. Of course she has two cultures combined in her, I guess a lot of other immigrants can relate to this, but in the end she still has a russian passport, so shut it...coming from a Myskina fan AND a daughter of immigrants;)

:rolleyes: @all the journalists who canīt stop asking EVERY single russian
player about Masha...itīs getting pretty damn annoying

Peace out...group hug...ok, letīs not overreact :wavey:

martirogi
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:26 PM
safin :banana:

Amazing Elena
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:30 PM
and Safin has spent more time in Spain than in Russia...doesn't he live in Monte Carlo?

He also has a house in Moscow.
I agree with Myskina she don't want Sharapova in the Fed Cup team because she is not Russian. She barely speaks the language. Dementieva and Myskina are real Russians who loves there country. Sharapova even shouts "come on" during her matches. What a Russian...pfff.
Wise words of Marat:yeah:

gvhvhg
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:33 PM
whatever....not being american or russian...i dnt care...all i know is that i love this girl!

switz
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:37 PM
wise yet completely pointless. i don't like sharapova but what the hell do you want her to do about being moved to the US at the age of 7? she's been there over half her life so she's speaks the language. should she go back to russia to live as a 17 year old girl just to make people feel she is genuinely russian?

i am a big marat fan and i'm sure these comments were provoked by the media - because otherwise they are just completely unncessary

richie boy
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:37 PM
You might as well quote Mickey Mouse as Marat Safin, the guy is a prize fool :rolleyes:

and didn't Sharapova finish ahead of all the others in some Russian poll recently, so much for being unknown :lol:

Amazing Elena
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:40 PM
wise yet completely pointless. i don't like sharapova but what the hell do you want her to do about being moved to the US at the age of 7? she's been there over half her life so she's speaks the language. should she go back to russia to live as a 17 year old girl just to make people feel she is genuinely russian?

i am a big marat fan and i'm sure these comments were provoked by the media - because otherwise they are just completely unncessary

She must take the American nationality. Leave the Russians alone ;)

coolbird2
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:41 PM
The King that is Marat Safin I love that man. In his interviews he comes out with total pointless statments. He really is wacky. He most prob did not understand her was talking about Sharapova. He prob thought it was Serena or something. :lol:

Wiggly
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:42 PM
It's not important :rolleyes:

Masha said then when she's in Russia, she feel she is an Russian and when she's in USA, she feel she's in American...

How much Russia TV show she goes after Wimbledon vs how muck American show? :tape:

Maria Croft
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:43 PM
she IS leaving them alone !!!! leave HER alone !!!!

apoet29
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:43 PM

Amen to these comments!

Odd
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:48 PM
I am not surprised marat would say something like this. He has, afterall, been friends with anastasia myskina since they were kids, who seems to be the queen in the Yankee Maria campaign.

Ive never thought of her as anything other than russian. It just seems like a bit of jealousy from the other russians.

Dan23
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Safin: "But about Sharapova, nobody sees. She lives in the States, as (far as) I'm concerned."
Where did he actually say she was American? :rolleyes:

...and saying Cmon in English makes you non-Russian? Heaps of players say Cmon regardless of where they're from :)

I like Safin, he's a loose cannon and isn't afraid to speak his mind. And he's right about Sharapova, only thing Russian about her is her name. I just don't understand why she has that accent after living in the states since she was 7. I have a friend who was born in Russia, moved to the states when he was 8 and speaks PERFECT English. No accent at all. Maybe she's just a dumb blonde :eek:Another intelligent post right there :unsure:

mishar
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I find it kind of amusing certain Russian posters (and perhaps players?) who are offended by Sharapova's dubious authenticity as a Russian. Would they prefer she adopt American citizenship? I'm sure the Americans won't mind. Playing for the US in Fed Cup, and having her titles go as an American victory rather than a Russian victory....

Crazy Canuck
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:17 AM
she's been saying "VAMOS" in her matches latley, which is in spanish....strange...
It's not that strange. Rafael Nadal occasionally says "cmon" as opposed to "vamos".

Crazy Canuck
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:19 AM
I find it kind of amusing certain Russian posters (and perhaps players?) who are offended by Sharapova's dubious authenticity as a Russian. Would they prefer she adopt American citizenship? I'm sure the Americans won't mind. Playing for the US in Fed Cup, and having her titles go as an American victory rather than a Russian victory....
I sort of get the impression from those posters (and players) that they don't give a rats ass whether she and her titles are associated with Russia or not.

vogus
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:22 AM
"Myskina, Dementieva, they spend much more time there, so the people get to know them so at least they can give an opinion about them," Safin said last week. "But about Sharapova, nobody sees. She lives in the States, as (far as) I'm concerned."

Marat always tells it like it is :worship: Sharapova is Russian for branding purposes only - why do you think she has so many American fans on this board? It's not a coincidence.

lucashg
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:23 AM
If she feels like a russian, it's enough to consider herself as one. Myskina nor anybody have the right to judge whether one or another is russian or not. They should keep their unnecessary opinions to themselves.

Actually, I think they should be proud of Sharapova because she could have taken american citizenship whenever she wants and that certainly would be appreciated by most americans and she is a promising player and would count lots of titles to their country, just as other players have done in the past. Instead, she chose to be considered a russian and that should be respected.

If she also already feels like an american, that's no problem either. In fact, it's quite gentle of her part to consider herself an american since it's the country who embraced her since she was a child and where she is building her life.

mishar
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:41 AM
For branding purposes only? LOL. That seems a trifle paranoia. I doubt her American marketing appeal would suffer if she took American citizenship.

>
I sort of get the impression from those posters (and players) that they don't give a rats ass whether she and her titles are associated with Russia or not.

I don't think nationalistically in terms of tennis, but I would think if you do and you're so concerned about Russian authenticity, you'd be happy Sharapova decided to keep Russian citizenship.

And by the way if you read the original interview with Safin he doesn't criticize Sharapova at all. THis poster has taken his words out of context. Obviously she spends less time in Russia and that's all he was saying.

Natasc
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:10 AM
Sharapova is screaming COME ON's now for all over the place
I agree with Marat

Orion
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:13 AM
She's Russian. Her passport is from Russia, she's a Russian citizen, Russian was her first language, and she still says she is Russian. Sharapova speaks Russian differently from the Muscovites and Petersburgers because she learned in SIBERIA. Dialects, not English influence. Her Russian is better than mine, and I learned Russian from age 5 on.

starr
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:19 AM
I think it is admirable that Maria still wants to be considered Russian. She could apply for U.S. citizenship a la Navratilova and Seles and been fully embraced by the U.S. public. I don't see any personal advantage to her emphatically to declare herself Russian. Surely she would have more chance to play on a U.S. Fed Cup or Olympic team than a Russian one because the Russian women are very deep while the U.S. is lacking in great players Maria's age.

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:41 PM
She's Russian. Her passport is from Russia, she's a Russian citizen, Russian was her first language, and she still says she is Russian. Sharapova speaks Russian differently from the Muscovites and Petersburgers because she learned in SIBERIA. Dialects, not English influence.

Her Russian is better than mine, and I learned Russian from age 5 on.Marat only said she lives in the U.S.
That's not exactly a news flash.

DevilishAttitude
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:01 PM
To say Sharapova is hated by all russians is an under-statement :tape: :o

If Safin is has popular here has he is on MTF nobody will disagree with him :lol: ;)

Tichi
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Where does Petrova live?

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Nadia lives in Holland. But she enjoys the warmth of California also.

Vass22
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Where Did He Say She's American?

maccardel
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:15 PM
I came to the states when I was nine and still haven't lost my accent. It depends on her family and her upbringing. Maybe she was around so many russians that she didn't see a need to lose the accent because that was the only thing she has in common with them.

jlamire
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:34 PM
The accent means nothing and you must know that. I know people that have very good accent and yet spent at most a couple of months abroad. On the contrary I'm working with people that are in France for years and that are still difficult to understand because of their accent...

andrewC
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:42 PM

Monte Carlo isn't spanish, its French speaking at least, isn't it the capital of Monaco, which has its own monarchy?

katiektc
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:45 PM
She's Russian. Her passport is from Russia, she's a Russian citizen, Russian was her first language, and she still says she is Russian. Sharapova speaks Russian differently from the Muscovites and Petersburgers because she learned in SIBERIA. Dialects, not English influence. Her Russian is better than mine, and I learned Russian from age 5 on.

Mmm...Petersburgers :drool:

Rafe306
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:46 PM
If she's a Russian citizen and she speaks the languages, she's RUSSIAN..Myskina what your say about sharapova is plain ignorance

xan
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:53 PM
More loudmouthed ignorance form a player.

Safin should concentrate on his tennis