PDA

View Full Version : Democrats charged in Election Day tire-slashing in Wisconsin

cheesestix
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Gee! I'm just SHOCKED that none of you libs bothered to post THIS article! :lol: :rolleyes: :lol: Where's all of the outcry now? :rolleyes:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/01/24/tires.slashed.ap/index.html

Monday, January 24, 2005 Posted: 2:26 PM EST (1926 GMT)

MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin (AP) -- The sons of a first-term congresswoman and Milwaukee's former acting mayor were among five Democratic activists charged Monday with slashing the tires of vans rented by Republicans to drive voters and monitors to the polls on Election Day.

Sowande Omokunde, son of Rep. Gwen Moore, D-Wis., and Michael Pratt, the son of former Milwaukee acting mayor Marvin Pratt, were among those charged with criminal damage to property, a felony that carries a maximum punishment of 3 1/2 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

The activists are accused of flattening the tires on 25 vehicles rented by the state Republican Party to get out the vote and deliver poll watchers November 2.

Also charged were Lewis Caldwell and Lavelle Mohammad, both from Milwaukee, and Justin Howell of Racine.

The GOP rented more than 100 vehicles that were parked in a lot adjacent to a Bush campaign office. The party planned to drive poll watchers to polling places by 7 a.m. and deliver any voters who didn't have a ride.

Some Republican officials have criticized Milwaukee County District Attorney E. Michael McCann, a Democrat, for taking more than two months to bring charges.

McCann said FBI agents were involved in interviewing witnesses in four states: Georgia, Virginia, Maryland and New York.

"We asked the FBI knowing that this probably wouldn't be their first priority," he said.

Rick Wiley, state GOP executive director, discovered the vandalism on the morning of Election Day.

"It was unbelievable that people could stoop this low in a political campaign," he said. "I figured it had to be someone from the opposition. But I didn't think someone on the paid (John) Kerry campaign would do this."

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel quoted sources Sunday as saying the five were paid staffers.

Wiley didn't say whether the vandalism prevented anyone from voting, but he said poll watchers were about two hours late.

Moore did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

alexusjonesfan
Jan 24th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Dear lord those were some fucked up elections :o

Scotso
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Now that's what I'm talking about! :D

cheesestix
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:31 AM
^bump :lol:

Oh Volcana (and Jiffypop, and the like), where are you? :lol:

fifiricci
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Sounds like the US is ready for a revolution and bit more political diversity! Cmon give the raving loony party and the communists a chance, you'll all have much more fun and stop taking yourselves so damn seriously!! :lol:

griffin
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:16 PM
^bump :lol:

Oh Volcana (and Jiffypop, and the like), where are you? :lol:

So if we agree to the obvious (that tire slashing=bad, etc.) and that these people deserve to be treated severely and locked up, you'll go into all the threads about the Bush Administration's lies and distortions, etc. and agree that fabricating and excuse to invade a country and sending thousands of American soldiers and tens of thousands of Iraqis to their deaths is wrong? Maybe just a little?

Thought so :)

Circe
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Gee! I'm just SHOCKED that none of you libs bothered to post THIS article! :lol: :rolleyes: :lol: Where's all of the outcry now? :rolleyes:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/01/24/tires.slashed.ap/index.html

probably becoz they knew you would ;)

cheesestix
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:29 PM
So if we agree to the obvious (that tire slashing=bad, etc.) and that these people deserve to be treated severely and locked up, you'll go into all the threads about the Bush Administration's lies and distortions, etc. and agree that fabricating and excuse to invade a country and sending thousands of American soldiers and tens of thousands of Iraqis to their deaths is wrong? Maybe just a little?

Thought so :)

:confused:

Why would I agree with that? :rolleyes: Whether or not the US should have invaded Iraq or not is a matter of opinion. I don't agree with your opinion. I'm not entitled to that? :rolleyes:

But we all know that tire-slashing and vote tampering (disenfranchisment) is wrong.

And so many libs here seem up in arms about the supposed disenfranchisment (sp?) of Democratic voters in the last election. But when it's the other way around (Republicans kept from the polls), you don't hear a peep out of them. Why is that? :rolleyes:

griffin
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:43 PM
and it's YOUR opinion that this is something larger than just a bunch of punks acting out in a destructive and inappropriate manner. I'm entitled to disagree and not bother commenting on an isolated incident of vandalism and think you're full of it for comparing this to widespread voter disenfranchisement.

(Does it not occur to you that taking steps to prevent voter fraud and create systems to provide for accurate, believable counts and recounts benefits all voters, regardless of who they vote for?)

Of course the Democrats are going to focus on where there people got jobbed - just like the Republicans could care less unless they think they're coming out on the losing end. Come to think of it, I seem to remember that YOUR only concern with the reports of voter fraud/disenfranchisement was to issue blanket denials.

Pot, kettle...

cheesestix
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:55 PM
and it's YOUR opinion that this is something larger than just a bunch of punks acting out in a destructive and inappropriate manner. I'm entitled to disagree and not bother commenting on an isolated incident of vandalism and think you're full of it for comparing this to widespread voter disenfranchisement.

Where did I ever say that? Where did I ever say this was widespread? And how would you know WHAT my opinion is? I just posted an article. :rolleyes: Where did I say it was some mass conspiracy or anything? :rolleyes: You're just ASSuming and making things up.

(Does it not occur to you that taking steps to prevent voter fraud and create systems to provide for accurate, believable counts and recounts benefits all voters, regardless of who they vote for?)

Where did I ever say anything to the contrary?

Of course the Democrats are going to focus on where there people got jobbed - just like the Republicans could care less unless they think they're coming out on the losing end. Come to think of it, I seem to remember that YOUR only concern with the reports of voter fraud/disenfranchisement was to issue blanket denials.

Well, you seem to remember incorrectly. :rolleyes: Because I don't recall ever commenting on any of the disenfranchisement posts....let alone make any "blanket denials". Just because you THINK you know where I'm coming from, don't start making up sh!t that didn't happen. :rolleyes:

Pot, kettle...

Not at all. I only posted that article because the libs here didn't. They're quick to spam the board with news articles that make it look like libs are disenfranchised, but they conveniently miss the ones that show it the other way around.

griffin
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Not at all. I only posted that article because the libs here didn't. They're quick to spam the board with news articles that make it look like libs are disenfranchised, but they conveniently miss the ones that show it the other way around.

"other way around"

See - you just answered all the questions you threw at me - you are comparing this to voter fraud and widespread disenfranchisement (and articles about it).

Which was fair to assume by your posting this stupid bullshit and asking why "us libs" hadn't and suggesting it was due to bias, etc., before you out and confirmed my "assumptions". Why else the article and the knot in your shorts?

cheesestix
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:23 PM
"other way around"

See - you just answered all the questions you threw at me - you are comparing this to voter fraud and widespread disenfranchisement (and articles about it).

Which was fair to assume by your posting this stupid bullshit and asking why "us libs" hadn't and suggesting it was due to bias, etc., before you out and confirmed my "assumptions". Why else the article and the knot in your shorts?

Where did I say widespread? :rolleyes: It was 25 vehicles or something in one city. :rolleyes: It IS disenfranchisement though....and "widespread" is a relative term anyway. :rolleyes:

If it had been Republicans that slashed tires, it would be no more widespread, but I guarantee some lib would have posted it within minutes of its release.

What's stupid about the article? It's true, isn't it? Like I said, had it been Republicans that slashed the tires, it would have been posted by a lib, and I bet you wouldn't call it "bullshit" then, would you? Furthermore, it probably would have been followed up with something like "Yep, more disenfranchisement by the Republicans" (or something therof) by the lib that posted the article, likening it to all of the other disenfranchisement stories. Would you have complained about it then?

Knot in my shorts? :rolleyes: The lack of response is confirmation enough that I'm right.

griffin
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:36 PM
The lack of response is confirmation enough that I'm right.

"I know you are but what am I?" :lol:

I think your motives and your intent are transparent enough from your own posts in this thread, forget the fact that you started it in the first place.

darrinbaker00
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:04 PM
"I know you are but what am I?" :lol:

I think your motives and your intent are transparent enough from your own posts in this thread, forget the fact that you started it in the first place.
I'd green-dot you, Griff, but they're telling me I have to spread some love around before I can give some to you again. :)

Crazy Canuck
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:56 PM

Do you make a point of posting left-winged articles? Not that I disagree that there is a bit of hypocracy here, but to expect people to post articles that don't support their own point of view, when I'm not entirely sure that you do the same is... silly.

cheesestix
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Do you make a point of posting left-winged articles? Not that I disagree that there is a bit of hypocracy here, but to expect people to post articles that don't support their own point of view, when I'm not entirely sure that you do the same is... silly.

I RARELY post political articles AT ALL. The ONLY reason I will ever post them is to make a point. The typical scenario is: libs post dozens of articles bashing Republicans for doing something, then I find an article showing libs doing the same thing.

For example, in this case, libs continually post any article that they can find about "disenfranchisement" and try to say that the Republicans try to keep Democrats from voting by using any sinister means. The ONLY reason I posted this one was to make a point...that it happens on both sides. So why don't these people that care so much about fairness in voting get all outraged about something like this? :rolleyes:

It's not even just about posting the article. These same libs that bash Republicans for "disenfranchisement" won't even come here and post at all. If they do, it's to say "well, Republicans do it more" (i.e. they try to quantify the misdeed...e.g. griffin). Why can't they just say "you know what? you're right. libs do the same thing."? :rolleyes:

Scotso
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:24 AM
The ONLY reason I will ever post them is to make a point.

Which is exactly what we (liberals?) do.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Cheesestix - you answere Canuck's question :)