PDA

View Full Version : For a top tenner, Molik has one glaring weakness..

SerialKiller#69
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:41 PM
and it was made obvious in her match against venus.

SerialKiller#69
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:42 PM
her backhand. she was like 90% slicing all those balls and even if she hits it, it's not solid at all. i don't think she had one winner on the backhand side.=(

the forehand though is immensely huge.:bounce:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:42 PM
I did notice she hit A LOT of backhands wide.

faboozadoo15
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:43 PM
i thought her defense or footspeed or something and was getting ready to say she wasn't bad out there.

Andrew.
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:48 PM
You can't have a backhand like that if you want to be at the top of the top when you have her game. It's not like her serve is amazingly huge, she's not a WTA Roddick. The forehand is big, but it's not the biggest on tour.

coolbird2
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Moilk game has two huge weakness her backhand her return game, and Ikonw she got a lot of ball back last night but still movement is not good. A coaches dream really cus she really has a lot of talent

SJW
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:56 PM
she has a great backhand. you just havent been watching enough of her matches :)

and as for her return game...wow lol. somebody DEFINITELY needs to watch more of her matches.

Jaime Bahena
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Too bad Alicia has "glaring weaknesses." Unfortunately, Venus didn't have her shades on, and was unable to identify those weaknesses due to the glare.

-Sonic-
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I was only half watching the match as I was getting ready for work, but i was listening to the commentators and i heard on 3 or 4 occasions how slicing to venus's forehand produced errors from venus, and they were saying her forehand down the line was having a bad day. Will have to watch the vid.

thelittlestelf
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Her backhand is very poor, and she's also no Steffi Graf in the movement department :tape:.

Luckily she has a big serve that can make easy forehands, however if she wants to become a good serve breaker, she has some work to do.

fammmmedspin
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I thought the slice really hurt venus at times? Graf did OK with one.

All of the current top 10 have something missing with their games either physically or mentally so Molik wouldn't be out of place there. If anyone actually got their weaknesses down to Graf's level we might have a dominant player again.

Elldee
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Lindsay knows about her backhead weakness but it is so much improved since Zurich, Sharapova was making her spray her backhand a lot.... Molik's slice backhand that kept low caused Venus to consistantly overhit or net the ball so hopefully Lindsay won't have that problem.

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:09 PM
The slice was good against Venus. It is her weakness, she didn`t hit too many winners of it last night. But in previous matches, she been hitting that backhand well.

Congrats Alicia :kiss:

Doraemon
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:15 PM
For a top ten? Hey what about Demented's serve? I think Demented's fucked up serve is more of a liability then Alicia's backhand which is not powerful but still steady enough to let her stay in rallies and doesn't get shaky at tight moments unlike Demented's serve. If Demented can make the finals of two GSs and can stay in the top 5, I don't see any problem with Alicia stayin at least in the top 10 with that weak backhand.

vogus
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:19 PM
her backhand. she was like 90% slicing all those balls and even if she hits it, it's not solid at all. i don't think she had one winner on the backhand side.=(

Pete Sampras had an equally weak 1-handed backhand as Alicia, and we all know how much that kept him from being a top player.

~Rachel~
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:30 PM
she has a great backhand. you just havent been watching enough of her matches :)

and as for her return game...wow lol. somebody DEFINITELY needs to watch more of her matches.

LOL I agree! Alicia's use of the sliced backhand is called tactics! Venus was clearly having trouble with those low balls on the forehand side, the Eurosport commentators picked up on it straight away.

As for her return of serve, I thought she did incredibly well. The fact that Venus only served two aces supports that

SerialKiller#69
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Pete Sampras had an equally weak 1-handed backhand as Alicia, and we all know how much that kept him from being a top player.
i think i've seen enough crisp clean backhand winners from sampras. i wouldn't call it weak and certainly not equally weak as molik's.

lindsayno1
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:48 PM
lindsay knows what she has to do... shes aware of the backhand

henmanhill
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Goodness these top players are flawed. If only we could get out on the court and show them how it should be done. :haha:

-Sonic-
Jan 24th, 2005, 11:05 PM
If people didn't have noticeable weaknesses we'd all think they were perfect :)

Hingis (serve), Dementieva (serve), Lindsay (movement), Venus (2nd serve), Myskina (brain) - all very clear weaknesses, and yet, such brilliant results from them.

henmanhill
Jan 24th, 2005, 11:13 PM
I think thart Hingis's biggest weakness is that she's not playing! :haha: :haha: :haha:

jenny161185
Jan 24th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I saw some of her match the other day and i thought her backhand was quite effective - sure she didnt hit through it an awfle lot but when she did it was good

lindsayno1
Jan 24th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Myskina (brain)

:haha: :haha: :haha:

switz
Jan 24th, 2005, 11:48 PM
molik's backhand is not great but it hardly a "glaring weakness". it has improved significantly and people are foolish to think a slice backhand is not an immensely valuable shot. just because you don't hit a big winner with a shot does not mean it cannot be used to set up a point the way you want. a good slice is very difficult to attack and the fact is that the majority of the girls on tour are so unaccustomed to having to play against one that half the time they will not even hit a decent reply thus allowing the protagonist (ie molik) to bring their strong shot into play.

416_Man
Jan 24th, 2005, 11:50 PM
I definitely think that a huge weakness affects how well they play. Dementieva's serve is horrible, and as a result you rarely see her doing too well on grass and even a lot of shaky wins during the hard court season. Davenport has a lot of fluke losses on clay and Myskina has done horrible at the slams since the French. It's gonna be really difficult to strive with this slice backhand especially against Lindsay. Atleast Pete Samprus had a HUGE HUGE serve and GREAT GREAT volleys. Far too good to even think of comparing to Molik.

Gowza
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:05 AM
the backhand has improved alot, it isnt a weakness but she cant really hit winners off it, she can stay in rallies with it tho. there was one point which made her backhand look noticably something that she could really work on. she had venus out wide on the other side of the court and she had a great chance to hit a backhand down the line winner but she didnt get a winner from it. alicia rarely has winners of the backhand, usually only a handful per match so its no surprise that she had no winners off that side last night. she does pretty well without a big backhand anyway, if she were to improve it more then the other players might have a lot of problems.

AUSBOY
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Molik was being tactical against Venus! Thats why she was hitting a lot of slice backhands! As Martina Navratilova said, when Venus and Serena practice they only hard balls and aren't used to the slice and certainly can't slice very well!

It was a smart tactic and paid dividends for Molik!

starr
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:28 AM
The slice made Venus bend and get low. It also was effective in keeping Venus off the net. When she had to hit that slice as she was coming forward it was a nasty shot for Venus to handle.

Gowza
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:30 AM
yeah the slice by molik was tactical.

vogus
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:34 AM
i think i've seen enough crisp clean backhand winners from sampras. i wouldn't call it weak and certainly not equally weak as molik's.

for each one of those "crisp, clean winners" from Sampy's backhand, he framed at least 10 into the cheap seats. His backhand stunk - and guess what, it didn't matter, because he almost never lost his serve. Molik can ride the same pony all the way to the top.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:35 AM
It's threads like this that makes me feel even worse about Venus' loss (still can't watch the match :sad: )

SerialKiller#69
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:12 AM
It's threads like this that makes me feel even worse about Venus' loss (still can't watch the match :sad: )
i know. it was really bizaare how venus would 90% of the time go for molik's forehand. it was just ridiculous.:sad:

rue
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:18 AM
She is good and deserves to be in top ten and it is true that she needs to work more on movement and her backhand especially. She needs to learn how to flatten it out a bit more rather than always slicing the ball. She is not as comfortable on that side, but she has time to improve on it.

SerialKiller#69
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:21 AM
is it fair to say that she has the weakest backhand in the Top 10?

anthonyqld
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:33 AM
For top-tenners, the Russians have one glaring weakness(apart from Sharapova) - None of them can serve at all.

Gowza
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:54 AM
For top-tenners, the Russians have one glaring weakness(apart from Sharapova) - None of them can serve at all.
kuznetsova can serve, although she hasnt served that well at AO this year.

Orion
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:58 AM
All players are weak in some department, and the top twenty are no exception to that rule.

Davenport has dreadful movement
Mauresmo plays too safely for someone with her excellent net game, and has an unusual return of serve
Myskina doesn't produce enough weapons in her matches
Sharapova loses focus easily
Kuznetsova has poor footwork: she's fast, but she doesn't take small steps
Dementieva cannot produce serves to challenge opponents, and her game is very predictable
S. Williams comes into a lot of matches overconfident, and her incredible mental strength can sometimes undo her
Henin-Hardenne tried to gain so much strength that she ruined her body
V. Williams doesn't perform well under pressure: her serve goes to pieces, and she nets a lot of forehands
Capriati doesn't have enough variety in her game to pressure anywhere but off the baseline
Zvonereva loses her nerve...a lot...
Molik has awkward movement and cannot produce winners off the backhand side

I can go on and on, but you ge the point. Fact is, all these players are at the top because they can compensate for their shortcomings

Davenport doesn't have to run a lot to win
Mauresmo wears out her opponents by consistency
Myskina can return ANYTHING
Sharapova raises her game at the right times
Kuznetsova makes up for her movement with outstanding shot production
Dementieva has the most complete set of groundstrokes in the game: she isn't the best at either, but she's in the top five for both
S. Williams has enough power to keep the pressure off of her for most matches
Henin-Hardenne knows how to fight hard
V. Williams has remarkable court coverage and, when she tries, can fire a winner off of any shot
Capriati has the best running forehand left in women's tennis
Zvonereva thwarts attempts to pressure her game
Molik serves smartly and quickly, and her forehand is a thing of beauty

switz
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:59 AM
kuznetsova's serve won her the US Open. perfectly placed so consistantly.

molik's serve when on (which is a lot) more than makes up for any perceived weakness on the backhand because most of the time she can choose which shot to play

tennischick
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:15 AM
there's nothing wrong with Molik's backhand. her entire game is a throwback to Steffi's -- big serve, monster forehand, and slice backhand.

thelittlestelf
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:28 AM
is it fair to say that she has the weakest backhand in the Top 10?
Well let's see, judging from the current top 10 as listed on wtatour.com.

1) Lindsay Davenport---Probably the most consistent and cleanly hit backhand I've ever seen.

2) Amelie Mauresmo---BEAUTIFUL backhand, such a weapon for her. One of the best and most effective backhand slices.

3) Anastasia Myskina---When her backhand is on, her backhand DTL is probably her best shot.

4) Maria Sharapova---Beautiful backhand, her best shot and is really dangerous.

5) Svetlana Kuznetsova---A solid backhand that produces some winners and few errors.

6) Elena Dementieva---Also a solid backhand, and when it's on it can be quite dangerous.

7) Serena Williams---Her best shot other than her serve, and when on it's almost unmatchable with power, placement, and consistency.

8) Justine Henin Hardenne---The most beautiful backhand I've ever seen, and the best one handed backhand in history.

9) Venus Williams---The best backhand on tour (IMO, not just because I'm a fan ;)), and it is clearly her best shot.

10) Jennifer Capriati---I've always liked Jennifer's backhand almost as much as her forehand, and she has great variety from this side.

So yes, it's very safe to say that when Molik enters the top 10, she will have the weakest backhand.

SerialKiller#69
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Well let's see, judging from the current top 10 as listed on wtatour.com.

1) Lindsay Davenport---Probably the most consistent and cleanly hit backhand I've ever seen.

2) Amelie Mauresmo---BEAUTIFUL backhand, such a weapon for her. One of the best and most effective backhand slices.

3) Anastasia Myskina---When her backhand is on, her backhand DTL is probably her best shot.

4) Maria Sharapova---Beautiful backhand, her best shot and is really dangerous.

5) Svetlana Kuznetsova---A solid backhand that produces some winners and few errors.

6) Elena Dementieva---Also a solid backhand, and when it's on it can be quite dangerous.

7) Serena Williams---Her best shot other than her serve, and when on it's almost unmatchable with power, placement, and consistency.

8) Justine Henin Hardenne---The most beautiful backhand I've ever seen, and the best one handed backhand in history.

9) Venus Williams---The best backhand on tour (IMO, not just because I'm a fan ;)), and it is clearly her best shot.

10) Jennifer Capriati---I've always liked Jennifer's backhand almost as much as her forehand, and she has great variety from this side.

So yes, it's very safe to say that when Molik enters the top 10, she will have the weakest backhand.
Fair enough.:wavey:

Prizeidiot
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:41 AM
I don't think it's a "glaring weakness" It's just the weakest aspect of her game. I think it's because it wasn't a natural shot for her. Other than her serve, she had to have her whole game redeveloped at a pretty late age. The slice is fine, she just sometimes hits the topspin backhand too short, because she pulls up on the ball, rather than swinging through. But generally, it's pretty solid.

Lemonskin.
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:43 AM

She sliced so many backhands because she figured out Venus wasn't handling them.

Her backhand is weaker than her forehand definately, though.

bello
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:44 AM
alot of players do alot even with a major weakness.....
eg. Sabatini, Dementieva: serving
and without starting a major debate Graf's backhand wasnt all that great, and look at what she acheived!

Lemonskin.
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:05 AM
alot of players do alot even with a major weakness.....
eg. Sabatini, Dementieva: serving
and without starting a major debate Graf's backhand wasnt all that great, and look at what she acheived!
And Alicia and Steffi both have monster forehands and are quite adept at the slice backhand:D