PDA

View Full Version : Mauresmo Hampered by Injury

Andrew.
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Mauresmo has injury worries

January 24, 2005 - 5:19PM

French tennis star Amelie Mauresmo is facing a race against time to be fit for her Australian Open showdown with American Serena Williams on Tuesday.

Mauresmo, the second seed, suffered a flare-up of a groin strain after her fourth round match against Russian Evgenia Linetskaya on Sunday.

The on-going problem could severely hamper her bid for a semi-final place and the chance to improve on her shabby 1-8 win-loss record with Williams.

She took an injury time-out during her fourth round match to have her upper thigh taped as a preventative measure.

Mauresmo, the 25-year-old based in Geneva, reached the Australian Open final in 1999 where she lost to Martina Hingis.

Now trying to replicate that effort, she is puzzled by the on again-off again injury which refuses to heal.

"I don't know, because I'm working on it every day," Mauresmo said.

"I'm trying to do my best with my physio to make sure everything is right, but you know, that's the way it is.

"As long as it doesn't bother me more than this it's okay."

The French star's only win over Williams was on clay at the Italian Open in 2003 in a tough, strung-out three setter and she knows she needs all her fitness and more on Tuesday.

"I don't have a very good record against her but I play tennis for these kind of big matches, so I'm looking forward to this one," she said.

"The surface is good for my game and the environment is good for me here, so we'll see how it goes."

Mauresmo has the feeling she will somehow automatically rise to the occasion, while knowing she needs to step up a gear.

"I would say when you get into a tournament you just play better and better," she said.

"I know that it's going to keep going higher and higher so I'm not worried about that."

A glance at the record shows why Williams happily describes her encounters with Mauresmo as "fun."

"I expect her to play very good and better. I expect her to come out and perform extremely well, like she normally does," Williams said.

"But, you know, I really like playing her. I mean, it's really fun tennis. We have a good time out there."

Well, one of them seems to anyway.

Williams' only concern is her serve.

"I'm practising really hard, I never usually practise this hard," she said.

"Hopefully it will come together tomorrow.

"I feel my serve was horrible, I've been working really hard on it - it's just, I'm a perfectionist...but I guess I'll have to get over it and play better in the next round."

In Tuesday's other quarter-final, Russian stars Maria Sharapova, the Wimbledon champion, faces Svetlana Kuznetsova, the US Open champion.

Kuznetsova leads their head-to-head clashes 2-1 but Sharapova won the last meeting - a 6-1 6-4 victory in the Tour Championship last year.

Kuznetsova describes the upcoming contest as "interesting" while Sharapova says the whole situation is "exciting."

"I'm excited, I know it's going to be another tough match but I'm prepared," Sharapova said.

"We played each other end of last year - you're going to expect great things from her.

"You know, I'm just excited to be in the quarters. I'm going to go out like I've been going out and playing my game, having fun, enjoying it and fighting to win," she said.

MinnyGophers
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:08 PM
i love the way Serena says she is having fun out there, because most of their matches are tough three setters, where she always looks pissed until it's over and she win :lol:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Wasn't Momo injured also at Wimbledon last year in the SF???

MinnyGophers
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:11 PM

yep same problem... also in the final at Filderstadt vs Lindsay....
Get well Amelie!!!!!

manu32
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:12 PM
she said on french radio:i am not injured....and now she is injured?????

vertigo
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:19 PM
eeek! I guess realistically that damn injury was always going to be a factor. I just hope that she can battle through this one, and win it.

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:20 PM

She was injured last year right before her QF match against Dulko and had to withdraw. I knew she had this injury and that there was a slight possibility she would not be able to play, but I hope that isn't the case.:sad:

Linnie
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:21 PM
She said it just felt "tight" and didn't want to take any chances, so she had it wrapped. That'll teach her not to go out on court without a bandage ;)

griffin
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:21 PM
From the actual interview (bold added):

Q. What was the injury time‑out you had after five games?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Nothing bad, but the adductor got a little bit tight. I just didn't want to take any risk. So I just preferred to put this prevention tape to make sure, you know, nothing bad happens.

Q. On the left thigh?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Uh‑hmm.

Q. Are you confident it will be okay?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Yeah, yeah. We're gonna ‑‑ I mean, I'm gonna take care of that later today and tomorrow, and that's going to be fine.

Q. Last year when you had the problem before the Zuluaga match, did you feel that after your fourth‑round match?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Oh, during the match, it was completely different story then. Now it's just tight and I just want to make sure that this doesn't happen again. So nothing really to compare with.

Q. Why is it so difficult to shake off that injury?

AMELIE MAURESMO: To...?

Q. To get over that injury.

AMELIE MAURESMO: I don't know (smiling). I don't know, because I'm working on it every day. I'm trying to do my best with my physio to make sure everything is right.

But, you know, that's just the way it is. But as long as it doesn't, you know, bother me more than this, it's okay. But, you know, I don't know.

If she's not worried about it, I'm not.

*Jean*
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:25 PM
She always has problems with her adductor ! She plays AO since the first day with aductors-ache and will play with it against Serena too...

DelMonte
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:27 PM
This article is relying on some rather vague quotes from 2 days ago. How do we know it is an accurate respresentation of what is going on right now?

vogus
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:32 PM
i think Momo is just playing a little psychological game, saying she's injured, trying to lower expectations and make Serena think. Amelie has a good shot to win this.

*Jean*
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:34 PM
i think Momo is just playing a little psychological game, saying she's injured, trying to lower expectations and make Serena think. Amelie has a good shot to win this.

How can you say such a stupid comment ? My god... :rolleyes:

vogus
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:40 PM
How can you say such a stupid comment ? My god... :rolleyes:

do you have anything intelligent to say, or not? :rolleyes:

griffin
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Hey vogus - read her actual interview, not some tennis "journalist" reinterpretation.

She's been having trouble with that leg on and off, but in her own words, she's ok. Besides, Serena isn't known for getting distracted by other people's conditions, and I doubt Amelie's dumb enough to think she'd start now.

darrinbaker00
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Amelie Mauresmo is hurt? NOOOOO!! :rolleyes:

vogus
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Hey vogus - read her actual interview, not some tennis "journalist" reinterpretation.

She's been having trouble with that leg on and off, but in her own words, she's ok. Besides, Serena isn't known for getting distracted by other people's conditions, and I doubt Amelie's dumb enough to think she'd start now.

"tennis journalist" - now there's an oxymoron for ya ;) anyway i like Amelie's chances tonight...

MinnyGophers
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Amelie want's this Aussie really bad, and even if she had to play injured,she would play injured. Who knows, maybe that will bring her to be stronger mentally, forget about the physical pain, and make her more focus on the win. (I would love that, an injured Mauresmo winning the title)

manu32
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:48 PM
adductors???????? she needs a doctor because strapping is not on adductor......
sorry but that's my job .....maybe lost in translation......good film indeed and not science fiction.....

please griffin dictator,take your valium and don't answer...vous êtes "redoutable"..

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I still think that this injury is bothering Momo more than she's telling. This is after watching two of her matches from the stands, including the last one. I wish it were otherwise. :(

coolbird2
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:49 PM
i love the way Serena says she is having fun out there, because most of their matches are tough three setters, where she always looks pissed until it's over and she win :lol:

:lol: that is so true. I love Serena there no one eles like her on tour

Kart
Jan 24th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Injured or not, Amelie is still capable of beating Serena.

Go Amelie :hearts:.

mand
Jan 24th, 2005, 11:23 PM
sorry but that's my job .....maybe lost in translation......good film indeed and not science fiction.....

please griffin dictator,take your valium and don't answer...vous êtes "redoutable"..
Toi t'es vraiment un con. Tu fais pas un post qui rattrape le précédent :rolleyes:

Denise4925
Jan 24th, 2005, 11:51 PM
I still think that this injury is bothering Momo more than she's telling. This is after watching two of her matches from the stands, including the last one. I wish it were otherwise. :(
Leopard, are you at the Aussie Open?? If you said you were in another thread, I'm sorry I didn't see it. How exciting!! Did you see Vee's match last night, live? I haven't seen Amelie play in this Open thus far. Can you give us a run down on what you've seen regarding this injury? I hope she's okay. I want another good showdown, with Serena coming out the victor again, hopefully. :)

MinnyGophers
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:37 AM

are you a dumbass??
i mean seriously :rolleyes:

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Leopard, are you at the Aussie Open?? If you said you were in another thread, I'm sorry I didn't see it. How exciting!! Did you see Vee's match last night, live? I haven't seen Amelie play in this Open thus far. Can you give us a run down on what you've seen regarding this injury? I hope she's okay. I want another good showdown, with Serena coming out the victor again, hopefully. :)
I've only been able to get along there on three days, which is why I've only seen two of Amelie's matches from the stands. But I did see the Venus/Molik match on the TV.

And - damn! - my impressions about Amelie were right. She's never looked happy, like she did last year, and the injury was clearly bugging her in her 4th round match .... she just looked like a completely different player after the 4th game, even though she eked out the win. The scoreline didn't tell the real story at all. :sad: