PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Venus (not bashing)

kosmikgroove
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:55 PM
When Venus hits some amazing shots (and her shots sometimes just blow my mind) she never really gets pumped up anymore. I remember watching her circa 99/2000 and seeing doing some fist pumps and "c'mon's" ...

Am i just remembering things incorrectly? Does she rarely get fired up? Or has she just recently accepted a more cool demeanour?

Personally I think she could be helped if she did some Hewitt like action!!

jj74
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Please don't, i can't stand Hewitt

thelittlestelf
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Venus has some fist pumps occasionally, and just last year at the USO she was particularly intense.

She used to be more intense, but by 2000 when she won Wimbledon she had calmed down a lot, and I guess it worked ;).

rockbottom
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Its' called maturity and self-awareness.

Becool
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I don't think she desires to win that much, as she says she do..

It's called maturity?.. then, her maturity is making her lose lots of matches, where in the past she was supposed to win..

Becool
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Don't get me wrong.. I love Venus.. but I hate to see her so passive on court.. She wasn't like that.. that's so annoying.. when you make a beautiful point, u're supposed to scream, do whatever you want, but just do something.. U earned it.. She just do nothing..

Venus is very different, and I don't like that..

Grohl
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:38 PM
maybe she just felt that it wasn't going to work today, that she couldn't compare to alicia...

tennischick
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Its' called maturity and self-awareness.then Venus is too self-aware for her own good. she's always fixing and adjusting something on her outfit -- these are distractions when you are playing and no player can afford to be distracted from the business of winning.

that's why i adore Serena. she stripped off her clothes right there on Vodafone and got down to the business of thrashing Petrova. she didn't have a self-aware thought in that moment -- she was too focused on fighting, screaming, and winning. that's the mark of a champion. :worship: :worship:

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:41 PM
then Venus is too self-aware for her own good. she's always fixing and adjusting something on her outfit -- these are distractions when you are playing and no player can afford to be distracted from the business of winning.

that's why i adore Serena. she stripped off her clothes right there on Vodafone and got down to the business of thrashing Petrova. she didn't have a self-aware thought in that moment -- she was too focused on fighting, screaming, and winning. that's the mark of a champion. :worship: :worship:
And thats why I adore you...we so agree on the Serena part and most of the Venus...:wavey:

tennischick
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:52 PM
And thats why I adore you...we so agree on the Serena part and most of the Venus...:wavey::kiss: you know i speak my mind :wavey:

tennisIlove09
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:53 PM
what I miss, is her rock solid...i dont' give a fuck attitude on the court. Go back and watch the domination of 2001. Nothing bothered her on the court. She was stone cold...just ready to go...ready to kill everyone.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:18 PM
then Venus is too self-aware for her own good. she's always fixing and adjusting something on her outfit -- these are distractions when you are playing and no player can afford to be distracted from the business of winning.

That was AWESOME when Serena did that. She took that shit off, and came out like a panther...and she even SOUNDED like one while striking a back hand winner down the line. Those first 4 games of the 3rd set were 2002-2003ish. Too bad she started double faulting again, and that broke her spirit. But she pulled it out.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:19 PM
But I agree about Venus. I miss the old aloof, get out of my way Venus. It happens though. I think we all calm down as we get older.

RVD
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:31 PM
When Venus hits some amazing shots (and her shots sometimes just blow my mind) she never really gets pumped up anymore. I remember watching her circa 99/2000 and seeing doing some fist pumps and "c'mon's" ...

Am i just remembering things incorrectly? Does she rarely get fired up? Or has she just recently accepted a more cool demeanour?

Personally I think she could be helped if she did some Hewitt like action!!Have to agree with you here. I remember her early matches where she'd come out as intense as Serena does now. And you could tell that she was gonna eat you alive. But nowadays, she appears so calm that you wonder if she knows this is an actual match. I first noticed the change after the commentators slammed her for being so arrogant (which wasn't true) during her 1999 - 2001 matches, and where they also lamented about Venus not respecting her opponents. Serena never bought into that BS garbage, and thus began her domination in 2002-2003.

Don't get me wrong.. I love Venus.. but I hate to see her so passive on court.. She wasn't like that.. that's so annoying.. when you make a beautiful point, u're supposed to scream, do whatever you want, but just do something.. U earned it.. She just do nothing..

Venus is very different, and I don't like that..She is very different than the Venus of old, where she didn't keep her intensity so bottled up. To me, part of playing is psyching your opponent out before play begins. Go in there looking like someone just beat yo momma and your opponent picks up on it. Go in like you're stroking your kitten and your opponent will roast you.

tennischick
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:54 AM
i see Serena is completely stripped down tonite against Mauresmo. good for her! ;)

PaulieM
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:56 AM
she does seem a bit passive sometimes, i think it would do her some good to get a little more fired up. i get hopeful when i see that serena at least seems a little more fired up than she has in a little while

"Topaz"
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Venus is very different, and I don't like that..This statement doesn't fit well with your name. Aren't people supposed to "Be cool"?

"Topaz"
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:44 AM
i see Serena is completely stripped down tonite against Mauresmo. good for her! ;)Well, did you see it when Venus in her last match (vs Molik) raised her skirt to wipe up her face, thereby showing her white underwear with no compunction? Part of the crowd erupted then timidly calmed down. You see, there isn't much to that kind of thing anymore. BTW, when will you let me see yours? ;) :hearts:

Yonexforever
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Topaz I thought I was the only one that noticed the flash!
hehehe
I expected more of a reaction from the crowd though!
It was a very odd move... very unselfconscious

Becool
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:35 AM
This statement doesn't fit well with your name. Aren't people supposed to "Be cool"?
Sometimes u need to fire up a bit ;)

Janet
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:40 AM
I thought this was not Venus (bashing) will it looks like it just because she does not show motion on the court does not make her she wants to lose or when she makes good shots.............if anybody been watching venus will remember when you you get older things change and venus is a very mature person for her age she is more mature then a 34 old person, most of the time she keeps her motion to herself which that is ok she does not have to be like all the other players or her sister she is who she is with her own identity venus has always been different and no one should down play a person because their personality is different I like the way venus is and I like the way serena is she shows lots of intense which is great venus does not...............she said it many time before serena was always the one the throw rackets and venus was always the quite one on court and off court, so when she feels like pump fisting on court she will do it!!! no reason to start to bash venus on her motions!!! she is who she is!!!

"Topaz"
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Sometimes u need to fire up a bit ;)Ok Becool, I get it now: sometimes you need not "be cool". :tape:

tennischick
Jan 25th, 2005, 07:31 AM
.. BTW, when will you let me see yours? ;) :hearts:i'm lifting as we speak :smooch: :hearts:

"Topaz"
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:54 PM
i'm lifting as we speak :smooch: :hearts:Uhhh! Damn internet! I can't see it. :banghead: :banghead: :couple: