PDA

View Full Version : Svetlana or Sharapova?

40-0
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Who will win this?, its going to be an awesome match! But i guess Svetlana will since Sharapova already lost sets in her previews matches and the luck she got for wimb its not going to happen again.

mboyle
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Luck? Sharapova's Wimbledon was all about skill. Sveta's US Open was about luck as her only good opponent (LD) was injured.

goldenlox
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:37 PM
They each have only reached one slam semi. So it's a big match for both.
The winner is the new Russian #1.

KV
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Think Masha will win.

daniela86
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:45 PM
i have a good feeling about masha (and i also hope she'll win)!! :) but it will be though coz sveta is really in shape :)

the cat
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:58 PM
They will play in the oppresive Australian heat being the third match of the day on Rod Laver Arena and that's an advantage to Kuznetsova who doesn't struggle as much in the heat as Sharapova does. I think Kuznetsvoa will prevail 7-5 6-3 in large part becausse she's a better athlete than Sharapova is and because she hadnles the hot conditions better than Masha does.

goldenlox
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:02 PM
If Sveta wins, she is 2 wins from back to back majors.
Does the WTA want Sveta as their star?

tom2791
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Svetlana in 2!

thelittlestelf
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:04 PM
er, shouldnt there be a sveta in 3 and masha in 2 option?

Personally, I think Sharapova is the better player, and if she plays well she should win.

Mike_T
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Why doesn't your poll include the options for SK in 3 or MS in 2 :confused:

mrush2004
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:19 PM
They will play in the oppresive Australian heat being the third match of the day on Rod Laver Arena and that's an advantage to Kuznetsova who doesn't struggle as much in the heat as Sharapova does. I think Kuznetsvoa will prevail 7-5 6-3 in large part becausse she's a better athlete than Sharapova is and because she hadnles the hot conditions better than Masha does.

just curious how are they the 3rd match on Rod Laver?? they play at 11am so wouldnt that be the first match? unless im reading the schedule wrong.

PaulieM
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:37 PM
kuznetsova has been playing well, and there's no doubt that she's talented, so good luck to her :)

(•_•)
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:40 PM
hope Svetlana wins

Anna F'd Enrique
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:42 PM
sveta errors have been hideous...so she needs to bring those numbers down and she can win.

apoet29
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:23 PM
I really think that Masha has a shot here. Yes, she struggles with the heat, but her win over Farina Elia the other day convinced me that she can really hang out there with the best of them. On the other hand, Sveta has not been tested yet and that may hurt her.

I'm going with Masha in three.

Lachrymarum
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Thinking and wanting Sveta to win.
:D

Kart
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Go Sveta :hearts:

pixy75
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Udachi, Masha:bounce:

manu32
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Go masha

TakeThat
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:19 PM
I'd normally go with Kuznetsova - but she looked a little shaky in her previous match. Not that Sharapova was sharp.. Kuzzie in 2.

TakeThat
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I really think that Masha has a shot here. Yes, she struggles with the heat, but her win over Farina Elia the other day convinced me that she can really hang out there with the best of them.
That match really showed me something. Sharapova doesn't suffer mental breakdowns. She's like a freakin' wall. If she loses, it's because she gets outplayed by the opponent, or has a bad day. She does seem to have a harder time (mentally and emotionally) against fellow Russians. This will be a huge test for both girls.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:27 PM
That match really showed me something. Sharapova doesn't suffer mental breakdowns. She's like a freakin' wall. If she loses, it's because she gets outplayed by the opponent, or has a bad day. She does seem to have a harder time (mentally and emotionally) against fellow Russians. This will be a huge test for both girls.

That is so true. I remember when she played Myskina at the YEC, and after Myskina took the first set...Maria looked very emotional. But she ended up building that wall and overcame Nastya.

apoet29
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I agree with you. That really seemed to be the case in 2003. But in 2004, she really seemed to improve against them. She was 1-1 against Kuznetsova, 2-0 against Dementieva, 2-2 against Zvonareva, but an appalling 1-3 against Myskina. For some reason, Myskina really troubles her. Anyway, the last two times Sveta and Maria played against each other, but matches seemed to go easily in one favor of one player. I have a feeling that Maria is going to win this match. Once she learned how play against top players and put away tough matches, Maria became the brick wall you are talking about.

Katha-Ger
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:34 PM
sveta in 2 :)

flyingmachine
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Go sveta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DelMonte
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Tough one to call. Both have not been playing their best tennis but Maria has been impressive in regrouping herself after slow starts. I say Maria, especially if it goes to 3 sets.