PDA

View Full Version : Should Dementieva, Vera, Myskina...

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:46 PM
and all the other broads who lost in or before the 4th round retire? :rolleyes:

alfajeffster
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:50 PM
"OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!"- shouted the Red Queen

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:55 PM
No, because unlike some other players, their best results are to come. :tape:
Not one of them will be a four time grand slam champ...:tape: and they are about the same age as someone else I know...:tape:

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:58 PM
No, because unlike some other players, their best results are to come. :tape:

You're kidding, right?

Myskina and Dementieva are a year younger than Venus and one just won her first Slam last year and the other has yet to do so (though she did win a silver medal at the 2000 Olympics). They better hop their best years are ahead of them.

tennisjunky
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:02 PM
what!?!?! a double standard involving a 'williams', imposible!!!

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:03 PM
You're kidding, right?

Myskina and Dementieva are a year younger than Venus and one just won her first Slam last year and the other has yet to do so (though she did win a silver medal at the 2000 Olympics). They better hop their best years are ahead of them.
Yeah...there best years are ahead of them...:lol: while Venus only a year older is over the hill...Not to mention Serena...:lol:

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Yeah...there best years are ahead of them...:lol: while Venus only a year older is over the hill...Not to mention Serena...:lol:
Not only that, put the top four Russians together and they still don't have as many titles as Venus. Or Serena.

:lol: :lol:

Cam'ron Giles
Well DUH, that's why I said that their best results are to come, because they haven't accomplished that much.
Which is to say that Venus's best years are ahead of her too right? I mean...she has more way more...and only a year older...:tape:

_LuCaS_
Stupid "should they retire?" threads. YES. All players above 20, should consider a career in gardening.

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Well DUH, that's why I said that their best results are to come, because they haven't accomplished that much.

Well, they'd better hurry up because aren't there supposedly more talented Russians to come?:rolleyes:

lucashg
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I don't see Myskina and Dementieva being successful as her fans might think they will, there are plenty of other russians in the making of being quite potential players and even if the Williams era has finished, they are still a threat more than them and I believe that, at least Serena, will win another slam. You can't forget the belgians, especially Justine who will come back fired up for some titles.

Dementieva is a great baseline player with excellent shots, but she will not go further than she already has with that serve, especially with players as agressive as Sharapova, Venus, Serena and Kuznetsova all around.

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I don't see Myskina and Dementieva being successful as her fans might think they will, there are plenty of other russians in the making of being quite potential players and even if the Williams era has finished, they are still a threat more than them and I believe that, at least Serena, will win another slam. You can't forget the belgians, especially Justine who will come back fired up for some titles.

Dementieva is a great baseline player with excellent shots, but she will not go further than she already has with that serve, especially with players as agressive as Sharapova, Venus, Serena and Kuznetsova all around.
Exactly...Popova and Sveta are the only two on the scene right now that will be multiple slam winners...:tape:

blumaroo
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:36 PM
LOL.these threads always cause drama. I don't Myskina and Dementieva have a lot of slams left in them. I hope ELena can pull a Novotna and win a slam before she retires. Myskina might have another slam if she's lucky and has a good draw. Vera? I like her but she will never improve much. Venus might have one last slam left. I just cant see her raising her game.
Kuznetsova and Sharapova have the best prospects. And dont forget the new girls vaidisova ,ivanovic.etc

goldenlox
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Well, they'd better hurry up because aren't there supposedly more talented Russians to come?:rolleyes:Sveta is 19, Maria is 17, and many, many more are coming onto the tour.

Spunky83
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Nastya darling, itīs time to go back into your coffin! You are grounded...and take those fellow russian losers with you!

PROBLEM SOLVED :angel:

Kart
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:29 PM
No, because unlike some other players, their best results are to come. :tape::lol:

You are evil ;).

Better luck next time Venus :hearts:.

TakeThat
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Not only that, put the top four Russians together and they still don't have as many titles as Venus. Or Serena.

:lol: :lol:
What are the top four Russians (that'd include Sharapova and Kuznetsova) have to do with this discussion? And why would you "take them together"? Of course, if it makes your little heart flutter with joy, keep reminding yourself that the top four Russians don't have as many titles as Venus & Serena. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:42 PM
What are the top four Russians (that'd include Sharapova and Kuznetsova) have to do with this discussion? And why would you "take them together"? Of course, if it makes your little heart flutter with joy, keep reminding yourself that the top four Russians don't have as many titles as Venus & Serena. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Because it takes a nation of them to accomplish what one woman has done.:rolleyes:

goldenlox
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:45 PM
The Russians have won the last 3 majors. More are coming onto the tour every year.
This is the very tip of the iceberg.

TakeThat
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:46 PM
I don't Myskina and Dementieva have a lot of slams left in them. I hope ELena can pull a Novotna and win a slam before she retires. Myskina might have another slam if she's lucky and has a good draw. Vera? I like her but she will never improve much. Venus might have one last slam left. I just cant see her raising her game.
Kuznetsova and Sharapova have the best prospects. And dont forget the new girls vaidisova ,ivanovic.etc
I couldn't agree more. I can see Myskina winning one more slam. Two is she is very lucky. Dementieva... That ugly serve will let her down every time. I think Kuznetsova and Sharapova will be legit contenders for years to come. Sharapova has a chance to dominate because she is such a tiger out there. But I am not sure how smart & flexible she can be on the court. Frankly, I dont' think Sharapova will ever be as good as Serena, not to mention Monika or Steffi.

GoDominique
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Because it takes a nation of them to accomplish what one woman has done.:rolleyes:lizchris, don't forget that if you add up Venus' and Serena's GS titles, Steffi Graf still has twice as many.

Think about it. :)

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:48 PM
lizchris, don't forget that if you add up Venus' and Serena's GS titles, Steffi Graf still has twice as many?

Think about it. :)

I wasn't aware Steffi was still an active player. The others I spoke about are.

AlexB
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:49 PM
i for one like to see both the williams sisters stay around longer, but more importantly focus on tennis and see if they can regain the top spots, but don't kid yourselves, they are still a ways off, if you also consider 2 other great belgians are about to make their return..all of tennis is better off when everyone is focused and healthy

as for the russian/williams sister grand slam debate, its irrelevent because tennis has changed even in the 4-6 years that the sisters dominated..the game is bigger faster and at onother level...the influx of the former soviet countries, and maybe in a few years the chinese, it is safe to say that tennis, on both the mens and womens side has never been deeper....add to that the health factor and winning a grand slam event was and always will be tough, but in this time period it is more difficult than ever because instead of having 2 or three contenders like you did in most years, federer aside, and especially the women you know have 8-10 contenders for every grand slam event...i feel and ive been wrong many times, you wont be seeing one woman dominate, because even if you can, the injury rate is huge as well..much tougher today to win than yesteryear, you wont see one female player win 20 majors anymore..too much parity

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:50 PM
why do people always start these stupid damn threads whenever a player they like loses?? yeah they should retire even though they are in the top 15 in the world :rolleyes:

GoDominique
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:50 PM
I wasn't aware Steffi was still an active player. The others I spoke about are.
She's not, but it doesn't matter. Just think about it. :)

jmcfarla
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:51 PM
This isn't really a debate over Venus vs the Russians. Venus will always be compared to Serena and they high standards they both set at their peak.

The people are so quick to say Venus should retire is that she hasn't played due to injury and other off court problems, not her age. People seem to think she can't recover.

I think if she and Serena can get a 12 month run of playing without injury they can be back up there winning grand slams.

And the same goes for the Kim and Justine.

Now should that happen, with the quality that the Russians, Mauresmo, and Davenport (hopefully still playing) bring to the table, we should be in for some outstanding tennis.

:)

goldenlox
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:53 PM
This isn't boxing. Who cares if players retire or not?
Navratilova is still playing.

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:53 PM
She's not, but it doesn't matter. Just think about it. :)
I don't have to think about a player who dominated the Slams during a time that her biggest rival was out due to a stabbing, though she won many before that point.

TakeThat
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Because it takes a nation of them to accomplish what one woman has done.:rolleyes:
What's your point? That the Russians as A NATION aren't as good at tennis as "one woman"? Well, then we as a nation are probably not as good at tennis as Steffi Graf. For your sake, I hope you are trolling - you can't possibly be so ummm... lacking logic... in real life.

Lachrymarum
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:47 PM
:rolleyes: ....to this thread. I'm embarrassed that I even clicked on it.

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:12 PM
You are all a buch of dumb fucks...Look up sarcasm in the dictionary you stupid ass...:rolleyes:

TakeThat
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:14 PM
You are all a buch of dumb fucks...Look up sarcasm in the dictionary you stupid ass...:rolleyes:
Dude, do you really think people had trouble understanding what you meant? Everybody is just playin' a little' game here. And you are calling somebody else a dumf buck. ;)

thelittlestelf
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Are you even more embarrassed you posted in it? :p

pav
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:03 AM

:haha: they think sarcasm stands for
sanctamonious and righteous criticism all seriously meant