PDA

View Full Version : I love Venus, but give Alicia some credit girl

mn73
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:32 PM
I watched the match and it was excellent from start to finish - Venus and Alicia were both fantastic. Why can't Venus hold her hands up and say - Alicia played amazing, dealt with the situation and playing in front of a home crowd well, took it to the Top 10 player and won fair and square. But no, she can barely spit out a compliment:

Q. You were always in the match, weren't you?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I definitely didn't produce my best tennis today, that's for sure. It was definitely a match I definitely should have won.

Q. How is her first serve and her second serve? How does that rank in terms of serves you've played against recently?
VENUS WILLIAMS: She has a good serve.

Q. Do you sense a lot of change in her game the last year, two years or so?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Obviously she's playing better. But I just didn't play that well. So normally if I'm playing 5% better, this match is going to be mine. You know, I'll definitely come back in the next tournament, the next event, and I'm definitely going to play better. No doubt.

Q. Can you see Alicia Molik winning this tournament?

VENUS WILLIAMS: You know, it's out of my hands now.

Q. Do you think she's capable?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I kind of want Serena to win, so. That's my horse now.

Q. Does Alicia have the game to trouble Lindsay Davenport?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, Lindsay's No. 1 in the world right now. That certainly says a lot about her tennis. So, you know, it will be a good match.

I absolutely love the Williams sisters, so I am not a Williams-hater by any means, but it frustrates me that they cannot seem to give opponents credit when credit is due.

Guess that's what makes them true stars - cos they are marvellous and infuriating all at once!!!

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:49 PM
VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I definitely didn't produce my best tennis today, that's for sure. It was definitely a match I definitely should have won.

It was a match Venus SHOULD have won. She's right about that.

Q. How is her first serve and her second serve? How does that rank in terms of serves you've played against recently?
VENUS WILLIAMS: She has a good serve.

Seems like a compliment here.

Q. Do you think she's capable?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I kind of want Serena to win, so. That's my horse now.

Let's see. Venus just lost to this player and the media, probably Australian heavy, want something more out of Venus than she's willing to give and more than she should. So I like her answer here. Truthful isn't alway something people like. Why should she give Molik anything more than the win over her?

And what's funny is how people, fans here, some in the media think Venus is through, yet why this question about Molik winning it all only after she's beaten a "through" and "done" Venus? :rolleyes: Great answers Venus.

thelittlestelf
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:53 PM
It's not a question that she doesn't give credit (because she often does), but it's more about the fact that she's delusional.

"I would play 5% better and I would win."

Rigggggggggght.
If Venus had converted another break point it could have (and probably would have) changed the outcome of the match. If she had played 5 % better maybe she would have converted it :confused: .

Hulet
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:57 PM
What's so delusional about it? :confused; That she can't improve 5% more than her current level of playing? Well the potential is there. It's not like she didn't win slams before. Or are you implying even if she have improved 5% on last nights match she still would have lost? The number of points were so close, she had given so may break point opportunities, that 5% would have made a big difference.

As to arrogance, giving credit, blah blah, go and freaking read Alicia's interview. Yeah, she did give Venus a credit, and acknowledged that Venus is not playing to her normal, dominating level, and didn't attempt to spin the win has all to do with Alicia's level of playing, right? Rigggggggght.

Andy_
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I watched the match and it was excellent from start to finish - Venus and Alicia were both fantastic. Why can't Venus hold her hands up and say - Alicia played amazing, dealt with the situation and playing in front of a home crowd well, took it to the Top 10 player and won fair and square. But no, she can barely spit out a compliment:

VENUS WILLIAMS: Obviously she's playing better. But I just didn't play that well. So normally if I'm playing 5% better, this match is going to be mine. You know, I'll definitely come back in the next tournament, the next event, and I'm definitely going to play better. No doubt.

Guess that's what makes them true stars - cos they are marvellous and infuriating all at once!!!I agree with you, Mark, at least to a certain extent. First of all, the match has been a very good one. The quality has been quite high throughout the whole match, and that's not been easy to find in women's tennis recently. I knew Alicia had raised her level, I'd seen her play often recently... and she had chances going into this match today, but I was afraid the situation - playing at home, tough opponent, nerves - could have been too much to handle. Instead, Alicia kept her level high, fought hard, stayed focused and confident. And she came out the winner.

As for Venus' comments: her best tennis is probably what earned her Slam titles a few years ago, when she was totally dominating the game for at least half a season a year... and it's true, she's not playing that kind of tennis, right now... but she hasn't for a while, it must be said. I think she has it in herself, and she's definitely been improving, for the little I can see. And this match will probably make her want to work harder and harder.

The 5% consideration... it's been a close match, 7-5, 7-6, and the difference was made by Alicia just when it was needed the most, on the big points... do it's probably true, had Venus played a little better at those times, it could have ended the other way round... still, today she wasn't able to play that 5% better, and I think Mark is right... it would be so much nicer if she had given a little more credit to Alicia, who's pretty much achieved one of her biggest wins ever!

Having said this, loads of respect for BOTH players who've given us tennis fans a great match!! :worship: Vee and :worship: Alicia!

Hulet
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:07 PM
How can one play 5% higher/better/more without working on her game on her game or reducing her errors? The fact that she is not satisfied with the way she played in the match should imply that she understand that she has to work on her game, not the inverse.

As I said, from watching the statistics (didn't watch the match), it seems a pretty close match and 5% better from Venus could have made her a winner. But, whatever.

coolbird2
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Venus really let herself down in this interview. It sounds like Serena not Venus. There is one thing I always think makes Venus a great champion is that after a defeat she is always honest aboiut how she played and the other player played. Venus played quite well moved well. Just couldnt win the big points.

skanky~skanketta
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:13 PM
well, this is certainly unlike the venus we've all come to know and love. normally its serena that plays the number game. i think she's bitterly dissapointed cuz another chance at a slam has just passed her by. but its not like the crowd booed her or cheered her mistakes cuz there were plenty of "go venus" shouts during the match. venus, i wanted you to win. but we'll have to wait till the french. but girl please, dont play the "if" card. fact is that a player needs to be consistent and if you're a top player, you need to be able to step it up a gear in a tight match. fact is you didn't. you cant even blame your errors cuz alicia had about the same. and she had about the same no of winners as well. you were outplayed.

put this loss behind you, and move on to miami. win that ok.

cheo23
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:14 PM
"If i play 5 % better ...."

"I played 9000 notches below my level"

"I was playing at 20 %"

where do these sisters come up with numbers like these ?
yeah they NEVER GIVE Their OPPOnents any FREAKIN CREDIT!!
she could have said
Yeah ALICIA was mentally STronger ON the BIG POINTS
but WHATEVER..
CONGRATULATIONS ALICIA ON DEFEATIN VENuS for the 1st TIME!
U GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts:

skanky~skanketta
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:16 PM
well, this is certainly unlike the venus we've all come to know and love. normally its serena that plays the number game. i think she's bitterly dissapointed cuz another chance at a slam has just passed her by. but its not like the crowd booed her or cheered her mistakes cuz there were plenty of "go venus" shouts during the match. venus, i wanted you to win. but we'll have to wait till the french. but girl please, dont play the "if" card.kim coulda said that when she lost to serena.capriatti could have said that during all her 3 set losses to serena.many players can easily just say "if i played 5-10-15% better..." fact is that a player needs to be consistent and if you're a top player, you need to be able to step it up a gear in a tight match. fact is you didn't. you cant even blame your errors cuz alicia had about the same. and she had about the same no of winners as well. you were outplayed.

put this loss behind you, and move on to miami. win that ok.

cheo23
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:22 PM
"If i play 5 % better ...."

"I played 9000 notches below my level"

"I was playing at 20 %"

where do these sisters come up with numbers like these ?
yeah they NEVER GIVE Their OPPOnents any FREAKIN CREDIT!!
she could have said
Yeah ALICIA was mentally STronger ON the BIG POINTS
but WHATEVER..
CONGRATULATIONS ALICIA ON DEFEATIN VENuS for the 1st TIME!
U GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts:

DelMonte
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I absolutely love the Williams sisters, so I am not a Williams-hater by any means, but it frustrates me that they cannot seem to give opponents credit when credit is due.

Mark Newman, if you are fan then I am sure you have read many of their interviews over the years and would have noticed this: Serena and Venus do give credit to their opponents but there have also been occasions where they have been angry, disappointed or just plain pissed off and have not complemented their opponents as tennis etiquette seems to demand.

Perhaps you see this as a defect that only Venus and Serena suffer from (but perhaps you have also started other threads about other players not giving sufficient credit to their opponents); I, for one, think that plenty of other WTA players do this.

Venus and Serena are no means perfect but I think it is erroneous to say that they never or rarely give their opponents credit. For every example cited that shows a supposed lack of respect or appreciation for their fellow players, I could cite many many more than show the opposite. I suppose it's up to people to decide for themselves which examples they think tell us most about the characters of Venus and Serena.

If people want to judge Venus and Serena on the basis of the examples of when they have have not acted as well as we'd hope they would instead of the numerous examples where they behaved exemplarily, then that is their prerogative.

Having said that, yes, it would have been nice for Venus to say a few nice things about Alicia. As a former Adelaidian myself, I have been following her career and Lleyton Hewitt's for a long time and am ecstatic that she is finally fulfilling her potential.

I can also understand why Venus might have not have been in the mood to complement Alicia. She was very disappointed and in this interview again had to face questions about why she is not as good as she was a couple of years ago.

harloo
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Venus sometimes bend over backwards giving praise to undeserving heifers who have nothing good to say about her. I am amazed that people have a problem with her considering she is the most gracious player on tour.

I don't know, I prefer Venus uncut and raw but she has never been that way. She always turns negative comments that's directed at her into the positive. I actually feel Venus and Serena are both damned if they do, and damned if they don't so they both need to say what they feel. Haters will hate anyways!!:lol: :rolleyes:

Jaime Bahena
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Venus can say whatever she wants, because she is no longer in the tournament. That means that she isn't in it to "psyche" anybody out, or intimidate anybody.

Mrs. Peel
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Could Venus have been a little more complimentary? Yes....but cut her some slack. She is obviously dissapointed....everyone telling her that she is going to lose, that she is a has been...bla, bla, bla...She knows what she is capable of and tried to execute it.

She worked very hard to heal herself to get to this point. I'm proud of her and I expect her tennis to improve. When Venus says she will be prepared, she will be.

Alicia is HOT right now and playing at home...it was a great victory for her. She doesn't need Venus to qualify it.

mboyle
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Venus clearly played well. She had 25 winners to 28 UFEs. Molik had 24 and 26. They were dead even. The only difference was the serve. Molik averaged 172KPH and 151. Venus was well below that, and had 5 fewer aces.

Kart
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:27 PM

To be fair, Venus has said very complimentary things about Alicia earlier in this tournament.

The fact remains that she's not the kind of person to admit any weaknesses in her game or strategy to the press. I don't think there's anything wrong with what she said.

Sure she could shower praise on her opponent but as long as she acknowledges them and doesn't say anything insulting is it really a big deal ?

After all - it's Molik that's in the next round which is perhaps the biggest statement of all.

jenny161185
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I didnt see the match only a few points but It seemed good from what I saw and Alicia was playing well - Venus is on her way back though

Hagar
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah, it's really irritating that she's just not able to give some credit to Alicia.
Actually, she should draw some inspiration from Molik, who is a latebloomer and has worked hard on her game. I wish the Sisters would also try to IMPROVE their game instead of somehow hoping that the wins will fall out of the sky.
The other girls have worked very hard, the Sisters should do the same.

mishar
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:00 PM
The same (or worse) could be said for Myskina who said flatly after her match "She didn't win the match. I lost it."

TrixieTrader
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:15 PM
I am a die hard Williams fan but not enough to live in denial. Alicia won and deserved it because even though Venus served well Alicia served even better. Her FH was on and she played the big points better. It was a well deserved win and we should all be honest with ourselves.

Alicia in the last three months has put in the work to get this far. She got the match play in enough to build her confidence and to be able to play consitently well when the opportunity presented itself. Neither sister can be partime players and expect winning results. The game has changed and the field is deep. They should get used to it and be prepared to put in the required schedule .

tennischick
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Alicia is a throwback to Steffi Graf. i love her game. ;)

coolbird2
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:19 PM
I think when Venus lost to Sprem at wimbledon. It really was I think a harder lost than this one becuses Venus loves wimbledon almost as much as the US Open. But she was so fair to Sprem and gave her great praise. And really showed so much respect towards her. I just wish she could of done the same with Molik. But maybe she just does not respect Moliks game in the same way

DelMonte
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Yeah, it's really irritating that she's just not able to give some credit to Alicia.
Actually, she should draw some inspiration from Molik, who is a latebloomer and has worked hard on her game. I wish the Sisters would also try to IMPROVE their game instead of somehow hoping that the wins will fall out of the sky.
The other girls have worked very hard, the Sisters should do the same.

How do you know they don't work hard on their game? Will you only be convinced if they have an open training session ala Justine? Sometimes the results of hard work take years before they become apparent, as you pointed out with Alicia's example.

DelMonte
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I think when Venus lost to Sprem at wimbledon. It really was I think a harder lost than this one becuses Venus loves wimbledon almost as much as the US Open. But she was so fair to Sprem and gave her great praise. And really showed so much respect towards her. I just wish she could of done the same with Molik. But maybe she just does not respect Moliks game in the same way

Q. One possible fourth round match we in Australia would look forward to would be you against Molik. Do you think she's playing well enough to beat you at the moment?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Oh, absolutely wonderful player. So graceful, so talented. She absolutely deserves everything that she's got. You can tell she's working hard. If it will be, if we can make it happen, both of us, it will be a great match.

Mrs. Peel
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:37 PM
The same (or worse) could be said for Myskina who said flatly after her match "She didn't win the match. I lost it."

yes..where are the denoucements of Myskina? :rolleyes:

GoDominique
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:43 PM
The fact remains that she's not the kind of person to admit any weaknesses in her game or strategy to the press.Yeah but does she admit them to herself? :)
Judging by this interview, no.

faboozadoo15
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:48 PM
there's nothing insulting about what she said at all..
u can disagree about the 5% thing if you think it's important, but it was close match and had she played a little better, she may have won.

fammmmedspin
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:56 PM

VENUS WILLIAMS: Obviously she's playing better. But I just didn't play that well. So normally if I'm playing 5% better, this match is going to be mine. You know, I'll definitely come back in the next tournament, the next event, and I'm definitely going to play better. No doubt. .............

Guess that's what makes them true stars - cos they are marvellous and infuriating all at once!!!
This is really bad for her its like someone reading from an amateur pep yourself up book. She has a problem which needs addressing but she stops at self reasurance all the time. More she loses the odder she sounds. She's been taught to show no weakness and to believe in herself but denying obvious weakness and delude yourself just looks incredible when it keeps on happening.

Fact is it wasn't a match she should have won - she hasn't played as well as Molik did today for years. Molik didn't miss when it mattered - Venus does. She loses for the same reasons and she should be really worried that even now most of her game is performing and she seems fit she still lost for the same reasons - forehand and UE and strategy.

The clincher is the " "normally" if I am playing 5% better" line. Nornally is some historical almost legendary state that used to exist. Reality is it hasn't been seen for years. Pretending you are still the best player having an off day just doesn't work after 4 1/2 years - its like Bill Clinton waking up thinking he is President still. When she follows this up by saying she will get it right next tournament you really wonder whats going on.

Understanding is the pre-essential for a cure, she needs to stop kidding herself and us and make some changes if she really wants to win.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:56 PM
It's not a question that she doesn't give credit (because she often does), but it's more about the fact that she's delusional.

"I would play 5% better and I would win."

Rigggggggggght.
:lol: So true..then what if ALICIA stepped up and played 6% better ? :p

Randy H
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:02 PM
The problem I have with the 5% comment is that Venus should already be aware of what she is capable of. She's been saying her game is fine, and that it's just a matter of fine tuning things again, but it's been a year now and not a lot of indications to suggest she's getting back to her old level. She needs to stop talking and start doing these things, because I am sure she is getting sick of losing these kinds of matches. In one sense she is realistic in knowing that she is capable of much better, but at the same time she needs to be realistic in seeing that whatever she is doing right now is not working and that until she makes the necessary changes, she is getting outplayed, and she isn't the better player.

Hopefully Venus will get her act together soon, because she is capable of a lot more!

(BTW, the rest of the interview I feel was totally fine, she was polite about through it and I don't feel she was disrespectful to Alicia)

Denise4925
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Could Venus have been a little more complimentary? Yes....but cut her some slack. She is obviously dissapointed....everyone telling her that she is going to lose, that she is a has been...bla, bla, bla...She knows what she is capable of and tried to execute it.

She worked very hard to heal herself to get to this point. I'm proud of her and I expect her tennis to improve. When Venus says she will be prepared, she will be.

Alicia is HOT right now and playing at home...it was a great victory for her. She doesn't need Venus to qualify it.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Jan 24th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Like someone else pointed out...Venus has not beat a top 10 player in WTA events in OVER 1 YEAR. I think we can say she performed "NORMALLY"
Not normal would be beatin Alicia.