PDA

View Full Version : Its Funny when players lose..

PhoenixStorm
Jan 24th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Like Venus and suddenly its Over and her career is finished and she will never win a slam. how do you figure that?

Myskina lost. Is her career over? Shes not that much younger than venus.

Dementieva lost. is her career over? Not even a slam there.

Venus played better than both those players in her final match and yet her career is over? Please.

We all know what Venus needs to do To tighten up her game however she still might have lost. Alicia played better, Alicia won. There's no mystery here.

I hate to say it but Pam was right. In a close match when things are on the line Venus has too many things that can go wrong and not enough strategy to overcome them.

She cant just walk on court without scouting her player, but I think she does.

If alicia loses to davenport in the quarters I guess her career is over too huh?

Its really stupid because people win and they lose.

Also if Jen can comeback from tennis obscurity to win a slam anything is possible. we can only hope venus does the things she needs to do but I think she is playing with blinders on about her weaknessess.

You know I for once wish a reporter would simply say" Venus your forehand is a liability. Your serve is no long the weapon it was. You don't attack the net enough. what are you going to do?"

anyway congrats to alicia and GO DAVENPORT!

P.S.

Dont you find it ironic that people have been saying that Venus was going downhill and would never win another slam for over a year now, but when she loses to a hot player its like that player has walked on water and will win the touranment.:tape:

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 24th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Davenport hasn't won in 5, and yet a few wins against :eek: Serena and Venus and she feels the fire to stay in and try to win again. How can these girls, especially Venus be over and yet wins by some of these players over them mean so much?

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 24th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Like I said...not one of those Russians will win four majors and most of them are about the same age as Venus and Serena...:tape:

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Davenport hasn't won in 5, and yet a few wins against :eek: Serena and Venus and she feels the fire to stay in and try to win again. How can these girls, especially Venus be over and yet wins by some of these players over them mean so much?

While I think Lindsay will win tomorrow, she will not win this tournament, as the winner will come from the bottom half of the draw. She should get to the final, but she will lose to Serena or Svetlana, both of whom I think will get to the semifinals.

goldenlox
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Like I said...not one of those Russians will win four majors and most of them are about the same age as Venus and Serena...:tape:Sveta and Maria are still both teenagers. They are just starting their careers.

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Sveta and Maria are still both teenagers. They are just starting their careers.
I think those are the only two with the potential to equal or pass Venus...You guys have to remember that Lindsay is almost 30 and she is number one in the world and can beat anyone anytime...Venus is going through a rough patch but she is much younger and it aint over...:cool:

Mrs. Peel
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Dont you find it ironic that people have been saying that Venus was going downhill and would never win another slam for over a year now, but when she loses to a hot player its like that player has walked on water and will win the touranment.:tape:
I was thinking the same thing....I've been hearing how washed up Venus is but when someone defeats her, it is an accomplishment...like an overwhelming feat...how inthe hell does that make sense? :confused:

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing....I've been hearing how washed up Venus is but when someone defeats her, it is an accomplishment...like an overwhelming feat...how inthe hell does that make sense? :confused:

There simply is no logic in this... unless this is an admission that the Sisters remain the tennis standard :worship:

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Well let's look at the other players who beat Venus other than her sister and see where they are now:

Vera Zvonareva (beat Venus 4th round 2003 FO) - barely reached the top ten and resembles Niagra Falls when she can't win a match

Lisa Raymond (beat Venus 3rd round 2004 AO) - was not able to discover form that helped her to defeat Venus in 2004 and due to injury, bowed out of the 2005 AO in the third round

Karolina Sprem (beat Venus 2nd ro und 2004 Wimbledon) - was not able to discover form that helped her to defeat Venus in 2004 and her performance against Lindsay at the 2005 AO makes you wonder how Venus lost to her in the first place

Lindsay Davenport (beat Venus 4th round 2004 USO) - Though she ended the year ranked number one, she did not win a Grand Slam or the YEC in 2004. She is still in the 2005 AO, so it remains to be seen if she can win this tournament

Alicia Molik (beat Venus 4th round 2005 AO) - She is still in the 2005 AO, so it remains to be seen if she can win this tournament, but it is doubtful she will get past Davenport.

PhoenixStorm
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:37 PM
This might sound a bit harsh but does Oracene scout opponents for Venus? We all know that venus doesnt scout so why doesnt Oracene do it? i have never seen Oracene at another players match unless Serena or Venus were playing.

Why didnt she scout Molik and TELL VENUS WHAT TO ATTACK.

To me Venus plays her game and thats it she doesnt adjust to attack the weaknesses of her opponent she just assumes her game will beat them. Fine if your playing at 100% she's right but when shes not then she needs to do something to win because today players are fighting like she did and scrapping like she did and want to beat the top players at all cost like she did.

She wasnt afraid to play top players and neither are her opponents.

Oracene needs to do her job better. She is the coach she needs to get out there and scout like other coaches do.

This whole thing about the players should know what to do by now and shouldnt need coaching is ridiculous. TImes change. The Game changes. Players change. and if Venus game has not changed to keep up she will keep flaming out in the fourth round or before unless she gets a magic "roddick" like draw.

PhoenixStorm
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Even if the commentators didnt announce it the other players have coaches that actually coach and go out and scout and work.

Maybe oracene and richard should quit and give their daughters a better chance.

Did Jen start winning majors again because of her dad? No. She had a coach step in and show her what to do and what needed to be done. then She started to win.

miffedmax
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Navritalova didn't win a Grand Slam until she was 22, about the same as Myskina and Dementieva (who at least made two finals at 22) and much older than Venus. Martina went through another rough patch before going on her fitness kick and becoming one of the most dominant players of all time in her mid '20s. They're all young enough to add to their haul of trophies.

faboozadoo15
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Like I said...not one of those Russians will win four majors and most of them are about the same age as Venus and Serena...:tape:
really? not one? we'll just disagree.

but i agree with this thread. venus's career isn't over by any means. the only reason people are saying what they are saying is because they question whether this is good enough for venus (or if they don't like venus or her fans). molik was just too good (just watched the match). i really can't remember a time when i saw venus play 5% better against a good player. it's really hard to compare a match against molik to one against smashnova. alicia could have said "if i played 5% better i would have won 6-2 6-2."

GogoGirl
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Hey All,

Venus has won FOUR Majors in Singles. Six in Doubles. Two in Mixed. And the Olympics. Whom else playing today can say that besides her sister? And just a few can say that that's retired. What a record!

Venus is still finding her form and improving w/every match. She played some points where she missed. Point blank! Is that the end of the world? Molik did good and deserves her props. Venus had beaten her three times previously. I picked Alicia years ago as a player to watch. I felt back when - that she could and would be good.

As a fan - hopefully - Venus will have Alicia's number next time - like she did in the past. For the ones that think Venus will never beat Molik again - have at it. But some of us believe that Venus will be back. And I am tickled to know and to be able to say that - "Venus will be back - and she will mostly likely play in 2006." Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Quit the tour - my ***********k. Let her play as long as she has the desire to play. Just like it was tsk-tsk to the ones that used to say that Martina should quit - and Monica - and Lindsay. What???!!!

Some should just leave Venus the h-e double hockey sticks alone. We should appreciate all of the players - and whether they win or lose. They are the ones out there trying.

And again - how much is Venus worth? Does she have to play for money - or is she doing it because she da@n well pleases to do it? None of the players on the tour are unbeatable - IMO. And a duh!

"YOU DONE GOOD VENUS" "I BELIEVE THAT IT WILL ALL 'COME TOGETHER' (BEATLES) ONE DAY SOON"

"LET'S GO SERENA" "KRANK UP THAT SERVE AND SING - 'CAN'T TOUCH THIS'"