PDA

View Full Version : Usher Says Jennifer Lopez's 'Get Right' Was His First--USher Mad!!

Rocketta
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:17 PM
Usher Says Jennifer Lopez's 'Get Right' Was His First

Fri Jan 21,11:00 PM ET

LAUNCH Radio Networks

Ask Usher what he thinks of Jennifer Lopez (news (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/DailyNews/celeb/launch/en_launch/14307631/14064727/*http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?fr=news-storylinks&p=%22Jennifer%20Lopez%22&c=&n=20&yn=c&c=news&cs=nw))' new single "Get Right" and he might say "that's just wrong." Fox News is reporting that Usher already recorded "Get Right" as a single called "Ride." The song wasn't featured on his smash album Confessions, but it was released as a 12-inch club record and on the Internet last year. In fact, both "Ride" and "Get Right" were produced by Rich Harrison who is said to have used the same horn track on both songs.

Lopez' single was released as "Get Right" because it's mixed with a rap record with the same name by Fabolous.

Usher is reportedly furious about Lopez's release. When he was asked about her version of the song Fox News claims he said, "I hate it. And I'd better get some of the publishing (rights).

Rocketta
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:18 PM
well Jenny this is not a good way to get your album started off...:eek:

Dava
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:20 PM
Well his lyrics were diffrent, thats for sure, so I doubt he will get much out of the publishing...this sort of thing is quite normal in Europe and it was only a matter of time before it started going on in the states. Jamelia broke herself with Superstar, however it had been initially recorded by Samantha Mumba and was offered to Danish Idol winner Christine Milton. Then a few of the Girls Aloud tracks have previously been recorded by other artists as well.

Rocketta
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:21 PM
but in the us, people are sue happy and if enough people sue the record companies will shy away from this type of thing. ;)

Dava
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:24 PM
true but what im saying is there isnt really a case for it. If Harrison is resposible for the music then he can do whatever he wants with it. Because it was never officially released it doesnt have any publication rights, so it isnt a sample, and its not really a cover either.

I remeber the whole thing about the Truth Hurts track...there was a case in point cos they did rip the vocal off a film, which would have been a published thing.

jbone_0307
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:29 PM
And..........

Rocketta
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:30 PM
actually it was released as a 12 inch record for clubs....doesn't matter if the record company copyrighted it whether it was released or not it was copyrighted. Now if the guy who wrote/arranged the music holds the copyright I guess that would be a different story.

Dava
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:33 PM
Well I would guess that to be the case, as there is no way the record company or Harrison would have been able to get away with it.

tennisIlove09
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:33 PM
:rolleyes: Jealousy Usher...jealousy

jbone_0307
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:38 PM
Usher is starting to annoy me more and more. :rolleyes:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:41 PM
J-Lo ripped off the song. The bridge in both songs are exactly the same!!!!!

Infiniti2001
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:47 PM
Is this similar to the incident with Mariah Carey ??

rightous
Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:10 PM
Infiniti2001 i was thinking the same thing, didn't J.Lo steal a song of hers

Martian Willow
Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:14 PM
I don't quite see what his problem is. If he wrote it or co-wrote it he's entitled to some royalties but he can't stop anyone else recording it. If he didn't write it it's none of his business. :confused:

Rocketta
Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:17 PM
I don't quite see what his problem is. If he wrote it or co-wrote it he's entitled to some royalties but he can't stop anyone else recording it. If he didn't write it it's none of his business. :confused:
People usually have to ask permission to use copyrighted material therefore if he has some stake in the copyright and wasn't asked then yeah I can see how he would be mad. Not to mention when your record is being played in the clubs currently and someone else comes out with it at the same time.

It reminds me of the competing versions of Woop there it is....I don't understand the logic in it. :shrug:

Martian Willow
Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
People usually have to ask permission to use copyrighted material therefore if he has some stake in the copyright and wasn't asked then yeah I can see how he would be mad. Not to mention when your record is being played in the clubs currently and someone else comes out with it at the same time.

It reminds me of the competing versions of Woop there it is....I don't understand the logic in it. :shrug:

I'm asking what part of the copyright he thinks he holds. If he (co-)wrote it, it's up to his publishers who records it, and he should take up the case with them. Presumably they already give him money, that's why you sign with them.

Martian Willow
Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:32 PM
But the implication of him saying it was his first is that he was given it, rather than he wrote it, which is why I'm asking.

Rocketta
Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:56 PM
But the implication of him saying it was his first is that he was given it, rather than he wrote it, which is why I'm asking.
I don't know....Usher could be mad at the producer and not J.Lo. :shrug: The article isn't exactly chocked full of info. ;)

Justin
Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:38 PM
JLo rips off songs.

This is nothing new.

Julian
Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:52 PM
Ripping songs from other singers has been part of the music industry's entire history

jenny161185
Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:57 PM
who cares videos great ands she didnt rip that off him

jrm
Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:07 PM
How stupid can you be not to hear the resemblence??? Is JLO listening popular music at all???

harloo
Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:13 PM
Usher needs to can that ish, because the beat is whack and Jlo's butchered lyrics has destroyed any credibility the producer of the track has left.

Rocketta
Jan 24th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Usher needs to can that ish, because the beat is whack and Jlo's butchered lyrics has destroyed any credibility the producer of the track has left.
her version is HORRIBLE! haven't heard Ushers but it couldn't possibly be that bad? ;)

BigB08822
Jan 24th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Usher already has every fucking song on the radio, he can afford to let go of one.