PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on Lleyton's behaviour?

random_dude
Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:15 AM
does anyone else feel that lleyton has taken the "cmon"ing and fist pumping a bit too far this year at the australian open? he had already begun in the first set of the first round against clement. even pat rafter has told him to "chill out" in his newspaper column. im sorry to say that he has completely lost me as a fan with his antics. not achnowledging james blake when he was applauding his shot was the last straw.

anthonyqld
Jan 23rd, 2005, 03:20 AM
I've always thought Hewitt was a major tosser. This AO has just confirmed that. The Sun-Herald gives it to him today.

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 23rd, 2005, 03:37 AM
^ agreed.

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 23rd, 2005, 04:02 AM
Never liked his attitude on court, anyway.

broncosven
Jan 23rd, 2005, 04:51 AM
It can be a bit exhuberant at times

azza
Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:06 AM
did anyone see blakes c'mon snake eyes thingi lol it was :lol:

AUSBOY
Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:25 AM
Leave Hewitt alone, he does it to keep focused! Its very hard to stay focused on and concentrated on every point in a match. If other players get intimidated by it, thats there problem!

GoSandrine
Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:31 AM
:baby:

TS
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:19 AM
I think he is a dick, but that's just my opinion.

Huntress555
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:59 AM
I think his behaviour is fine. Hes passionate...soooooo what???? I like the c'mon thing, it shows he passionate and in to it...he gets reved up there is nothing wrong with that! The players can get over it....I mean they have every right to do it themselves, and just because they choose not to doesn't mean lleyton has to, it helps him play his game. So whateva, Lleyton rox!
And thats absolute nonsense about the turning his back on the james blake applaud, what did james wnat back a "thanks", no player does that. Lots of players get applauded by their opponent, and i'bve yet to see one look back at them, or acknowledge their opponent is doing that. I think james was just fustrated at the time. Hewitt was trying to concentrate, I'm sure if it was reversed Lleyton woudn't of go angry, and james wouldn't have done anything different.

Vicky88
Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:01 AM
In the past I thought that his C'mon's were ok. However, I think he appears to have upped it at the AO to a level where his behaviour is quite offensive. Personally, I would like to see him tone it down a bit.

ozfan44
Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
i dont have a problem with him c'moning on big points or when the match is in a fifth set etc , i do it myself in tournaments i play however i think he has crossed the fine line between being passionate and being a f**kwit lately and the whole lawn mower thing is :rolleyes:

SM
Jan 24th, 2005, 01:05 AM
W@NKER

Gowza
Jan 24th, 2005, 01:13 AM
never liked hewitt, always thought he was a little brat. he toned it down the past couple of years but has comeback with it stronger than ever. i think he is just really pumped for the season having bulked up and is fitter and stronger than he has ever been and he won sydney again and i think he just thinks he has a real chance this year to win it.

he has had tough opponents, clement then blake then chela, thats a pretty tough first 3 rounds so it doesnt suprise me that he's been going off with the c'mons more often. i dont mind it so much anymore but it did like it when blake threw it back at him in the breaker.

Huntress555
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Quite frankly Hewitt finds he needs to voice himself on the court, its just in his nature - to pump himself out...and i would rather him voice it in a positive way then a insulting way to either his opponent umpire or crowd.

AUSBOY
Jan 24th, 2005, 12:05 PM
All you posters that think he is a 'dick', 'wanker', 'tosser' obviously have no idea of sports psychology!

As Pratt says, once you're at that elite level its 90% mental! The way Hewitt coped with his injury today against Nadal and used verbal techniques to block out his pain and convince himself mentally he was unihibited was extremely impressive.

Hewitt deserves credit for his will power and fighting skills, but also for his professional approach to this match, no other player would have handled his situation more professionally.

I think he has incredible maturity for his age.

Huntress555 you raise a valid point. Would you rather a fist pumping Hewitt who does that to stay focused and concentrated or would you rather a Goran that swears at the linesman and smashes a million racquets? I think I know who the more professional player is!

Also more and more players are switching on to Hewitts ways, and its only goin to become more and more common! I think Agassi and Federer coming out and supporting Lleyton just shows how much they admire him and also have learnt from him!

TS
Jan 24th, 2005, 12:17 PM
LOL. My indifference to Hewitt has nothing to do with the intricacies of sports psychology...I couldn't care less. I'm not a fan of Hewitt, with or without the 'come ons'.

We all have our preferences, and I choose to pay no attention to him whatsoever.

AUSBOY
Jan 24th, 2005, 01:19 PM
LOL. My indifference to Hewitt has nothing to do with the intricacies of sports psychology...I couldn't care less. I'm not a fan of Hewitt, with or without the 'come ons'.

We all have our preferences, and I choose to pay no attention to him whatsoever.

Then why bother read or even post in this thread in the first place :rolleyes:

TS
Jan 24th, 2005, 01:23 PM
A question was asked, and I answered.

Dan23
Jan 24th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Hes already one of the great Aussie sportsman and his ability to keep himself in matches by using that passion and intensity is brilliant. Theres rarely a boring moment in his matches and he draws huge crowds to come and enjoy the tennis.

Vicky88
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Add me to the list of those who admired his performance yesterday. He showed true grit with his refusal to give up even though things were looking grim.

His C'mon's do get on my nerve, he was in overload against Chela, however I think he is always respectful in his comments after the match with regards to his opponents.

Ausboy is right, he should be considered mature for his age. I don't think he comes across as bigheaded, considering what he achieved at such a young age he could have become a totally pompous twat. However, lets face it, in Australia we don't like the tall poppy and we do our best to bring them down to the level at which the majority resides.

louloubelle
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Not a huge fan, but if these antics help you gain a win (within the boundaries of fair play, in which I think Lleyton does stay within) then power to him.

However I only see him run with these antics when he's playing someone he knows he can intimidate. Against the likes of Federer, Agassi it doesn't happen as much, maybe he knows it just won't affect them or he has too much respect for them to act that way.

So in a way I always have a little chuckle that he needs to do this to spur himself to win over opponents he should be beating with his talent alone. If we are talking sports psychology I wonder if all this fist pumping comes from a lack of self-belief and to release the anxiety he maybe feeling on the court.

However as was the case a few years back, he has many players gunning for him again. Therefore he'll have everyone playing out of their heads to beat him. It'll be interesting to see how he responds to it.

nitocris_tiger
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Everyone thought McEnroe was a brat and said his behaivour was not good for tennis... blah blah blah. But when he got to the end of his career it's like oh McEnroe he's so outrageous and good for tennis because he creates interest and gets bums on seats.

You can't even compare the Hewitt's c'mons to McEnroe's swearing at umpires etc but the same thing will happen when Hewitt retires and everyone will think he was great for the sport.

People are like oh you've got to perform a certain way on court but I think those people are boring. I think his enthusiasm is terrific and I love him!

CA'MONNN!!! :boxing:

SM
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:29 AM
he was lucky against nadal. very lucky. wont be so lucky against experiences players like federer or roddick who can close out matches, not some 18 year old...

Vicky88
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Yes, but luck comes into most matches, the ball clipping the net and going over instead of out, a lucky line call, all these things happen every game. However, doesn't matter how much luck you get, if you are not up to scratch you can not take advantage of it.

I just watched the Sharapova match and have to say there is something about her I find totally obnoxious and fake. I felt like bitch-slapping her at the end when she was acting so overwhelmed and punching her father out. I have never felt like that about a player before.

random_dude
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:01 AM
DAVID Nalbandian has warned Lleyton Hewitt on further aggressive on-court behaviour when the pair meet in the Australian Open quarter finals, saying it is not good for the sport.

Nalbandian won through to the quarters with a 5-7 7-5 6-3 6-0 victory over fellow Argentine Guillermo Coria, with the match ending after 2am (AEDT).

That set up a meeting tomorrow between Hewitt and Nalbandian for the first time since the Australian won the 2002 Wimbledon final.

Hewitt's provocative on-court behaviour has been the subject of controversy in the tournament, angering second-round opponent James Blake and infuriating third-round opponent Juan-Ignacio Chela to the extent that he twice hit balls at Hewitt and then spat towards him.

"It's not easy when you have one guy behind the net doing that all the time," said Nalbandian when asked about Hewitt's repeated "come on" cries.

"It's not very good for the sport.

"If he do it when he won a point it's okay, but not when you do a mistake, an easy mistake - that's the worst thing.

"If he makes a winner or wins a very good point, that's fine, but not if (opponent) makes a double fault or any easy (error)."

Asked if most other players shared the same opinion of Hewitt's antics, Nalbandian replied: "I think so, yeah."

i totally agree with david

shoogahplum
Feb 6th, 2005, 03:11 AM
I've always admired Lleyton's passion and determination on court and it comes through in his tennis. But the fist-pumping and the cmon-ing and pointing and "bullcrap"-ing at the umpire is unnecessary. I mean, I get really annoyed at his antics sometimes and I'm not even the one on the other side of the net having to cop it. :unsure:

miss_molik
Feb 6th, 2005, 03:49 AM
I'm fine with Lleyton's c'mons. He has a very competitive family and he shows alot of passion for tennis. I've heard a c'mon from Alicia Molik aswell, so it's gotta be good in some ways. ;) He worked really hard in the AO with his injury's and everything and it's like his trademark thing. And he only yells after the point so it can't possibly be putting off his opponents game or anything. It's not fair that people are bagging him out. That's just the way that he deals with his victory's. Everyone deals with their victory's in different ways.