PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a big serve to survive on the tour these days?

Lemonskin.
Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:18 AM
Seems like anyone without a great serve gets punished 9 times out of 10.

I think the only real exception is Dementieva, as she has ultra-sharpened everything else in her arsenal to deal with her serve. I haven't seen Henin or Zvonareva play much so I can't comment on them.

Davenport: BIG serve
Mauresmo: Effective serve
Sharapova: BIG serve
Kuznetsova: BIG serve
S Williams: BIG serve
V Williams: BIG serve
Capriati: Good serve
Molik: BIG serve
Petrova: BIG serve

peanuts
Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:26 AM
molik's serve is just awesome :eek: sharapova's second serve is quite good, just when you think her opponent is about to break her, she'd pull out a really well placed second serve.

the others you mentioned on the list all have serves that i admire. not sure about cappy though but at least she has improved the toss now.

henin has a very good serve for a girl of her height. it doesn't used to be that good but she has improved it and gets a lot of free points out of it.

zvonareva has a penchant for serving double faults on the most crucial times but then again she was never known for her mental fortitude. ;)

beauty_is_pink
Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:27 AM
Yeah I think so
or else your opponent can jus pounce on you.

but in LenaD's case, because she hits it so soft with a slice, she makes her opponent think it's gonna be an easy winner for them that they screw up and that realli irks them. take for example, Lena's match against JenCap at the USO

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:28 AM
Myskina has a sucky serve, but she is more than just surviving on tour, she is #3 in the world and a grandslam champion!!!

faboozadoo15
Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:30 AM
yes. watch the lower ranked players who have semi close matches with the top players. they JUST don't serve as well.

peanuts
Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:34 AM
mykina is no alicia molik but she does place her serve well. its really her second serve that kills her. its agonizingly slow but once she gets in the rally she can think her way out of winning the point. i'd really wish she'd improved that serve like justine did with hers. it could give her some free points and make winning a bit easier for her. :)

Prizeidiot
Jan 22nd, 2005, 09:29 AM
I think against lesser players you can probably get away with a weak serve.... I don't necessarily think you need a big serve, though it helps. An effective serve should be fine if the rest of your game is good. Justine is a perfect example of that.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 22nd, 2005, 09:41 AM
Momo's serve doesn't look all that big the way she does it (almost perfunctory ball toss; little appearance of exertion), but her average serve speed is one of the very highest on the tour, and she's hitting individual serves at or near 115 mph most matches. She should also count as "BIG serve" coz she actually makes the ball travel faster than some of those others listed.

Much the same could be said about Justine.

Yeah, Elena is a strange exception. She gets by with returns so big that few opponents can get any real advantage over her from serving.

Vass22
Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:11 AM
Myskina -very week serve
Elena- no serve

A big serve is a welcome attribute to a player's game, but as it appeares, not an essential one.

Dementinator
Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:22 AM
I think this obsession with serving ruins the game of tennis ,if you wanna see penalty shhot outs go to ATP , a big serve is useful ,very useful but NOT essential ,Serena ,Davenport,etc all have HUGE serves but still havent won a slam for a while ,so while it is an advantage ,if the rest of your game is good then you can still win ,it just means you do not get many chep points.
Elena has a dodgy serve no doubt, but her ground game and returning more than compensate and her losses I feel usually come from having her ground game "off" rather than purely for her serve ,and her serve can be deceptive ,in he rmatch today against Dani in set 3 one serve at 120kph followed by another at 171kph so u just do not know whats comming.
Camille Pin on the other hand has the worst serve i have seen and unfortunatley her ground game is not good so she will not survive.
So Long live the game of tennis and lets see rallies and points not bloody HUGE serves with little else..

Grohl
Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:48 AM
A good serve sure helps!

DevilishAttitude
Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:53 AM
No :) The serve really doesn't matter in womens tennis that much

Ground-strokes are the much important part of the game today